As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Alert 3

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In Yuri's Revenge, there was a superweapon that turned any infantry in it's effect into Brutes.

What did I do? Made the Brute attack have the same effect. One brute becomes two. Becomes four....

ben0207 on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    In Yuri's Revenge, there was a superweapon that turned any infantry in it's effect into Brutes.

What did I do? Made the Brute attack have the same effect. One brute becomes two. Becomes four....

I did that for the Virus's sniper rifle.

You could also turn the Weather Storm superweapon into the Ion Cannon from C&C.

Daedalus on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The ion cannon was always pretty terrible up until C&C 3 when it became awsome. The NOD nuke was always better up until that point.

TheGerbil on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That was one of the awesome parts of generals, (Which I actually really liked, but I don't consider the games to be C&C games) the Ion Cannon in that. Especially going superweapon general then building about 8 of them and having them criss cross the enemy base.

-SPI- on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This looks real good graphically, but how it will play out is another thing. C&C3 was actually fun from the demo at least, but it felt super slow (yet not nearly as bad a C&C generals). This on the other hand looks a bit sped up and the infantry look like they actually move a bit. Interestingly enough, for Red Alert 1 at least, the point and click super weapons didn't really do anything. The nuke was fucking horrible. What was much more devastating were the units you got, but this one seems to be going the super weapons route again. Red Alert though was never ever balanced, but fun to play.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    C&C3 was really fast paced, don't know how you could think it was slow, even from the demo.

Rook on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »
    This looks real good graphically, but how it will play out is another thing. C&C3 was actually fun from the demo at least, but it felt super slow (yet not nearly as bad a C&C generals). This on the other hand looks a bit sped up and the infantry look like they actually move a bit. Interestingly enough, for Red Alert 1 at least, the point and click super weapons didn't really do anything. The nuke was fucking horrible. What was much more devastating were the units you got, but this one seems to be going the super weapons route again. Red Alert though was never ever balanced, but fun to play.

C&C3 is a pretty fast game IMO

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

C&C3 is a pretty fast game IMO

Yeah. Online matches are at least as fast as Starcraft.

Cynic Jester on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Aslong as it has a rules.ini. Ill be happy :D
    Oh man, I remember screwing with that. Nuclear grenade soldiers ftw.

Tanks that can run over tanks.

My favourite was modding the paratrooper drop to be a carpet bomb instead.
    Tib Sun and RA2 were the best for creating new units though. Same imagery as old units but just imagine mechs with flamethrowers or harvesters that could go undergound.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Aslong as it has a rules.ini. Ill be happy :D
    Oh man, I remember screwing with that. Nuclear grenade soldiers ftw.

Tanks that can run over tanks.

My favourite was modding the paratrooper drop to be a carpet bomb instead.
    Tib Sun and RA2 were the best for creating new units though. Same imagery as old units but just imagine mechs with flamethrowers or harvesters that could go undergound.

Adding new units with actual new graphics was also pretty easy. There were tons of sites with sprite sheets for infantry and buildings and voxels for vehicles. Many of the sites have since gone down but I always kept a huge backup. I still have it, somewhere.

Man, voxels were awesome. I never really had a knack for 3D with polygons but I could make a pretty decent voxel.

Ever run into the "hundred unit types bug"?

Daedalus on
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shit man, that looks terrific. Love the cartoony style, it looks like candy, makes me want to eat it.

Let's just hope that the gameplay is more fun than C&C3, which was zzzzzzz...

Grudge on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man, I hope I can turn off all the fancy water effects; I doubt my computer can run those

also, Red October? That can only mean one thing:
    Sean_Connery_The_Hunt_for_Red_October.jpg

Randall_Flagg on
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *sigh* still skeptical. Kane's Wrath was a big letdown for me. I loved Red Alert 2, so I'm hoping it carries over to this. I was not fond of C&C 3, but I always have loved the Red Alert line more than the Tiberian Dawn one (with the exception of Renegade), so maybe they'll be able to salvage some of that old love for me.

Then again, loving Renegade may mean I have an inoperable case of bad taste.
    the multiplayer was so awesome

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just FYI, there's a big balance patch coming for Kane's Wrath at the end of May-ish.

zilo on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kane's Wrath is a great addition to the series, but just needs balancing. Thankfully EALA is very dedicated to the game and the fanbase, so.. it's less of an issue, as they WILL patch it. I love how they've built up the studio with the TV and all the rest.. it really shows how they want it to work.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll give it a try. That's if I don't swallow my tongue with a seizure.

Meiz on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who wants to see a 15 minute live demo of the game.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/29291/PC/Command-Conquer-Red-Alert-3

- Man cannons
    -Dreadnoughts, Aircraft Carriers, Tesla troopers and a shit load of returning units - WITH - original voice work.
    - Vacuum bomb is fucking incredible
    - Building a base on water.
    - Amphibious units
    - Hell March
    - New units and MECHS

Basically, this game looks astounding. And I mean properly good. Some parts mirror the style of Starcraft 2, with the raised mesas and things. Very very impressive so far, none of the fiddly base building shit from CnC3, all fan service all the time and plenty of nice explosions. Graphics look great.

Release October 2008 - PC and 360 only apparently. No mention of PS3 in the demo. Hmm.

Looks shit hot.

The_Scarab on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, it seems very, very C&C 3. But given that I skipped out on Kane's Wrath, this might be worth picking up for the coop campaign

Rook on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That was a wonderful watch

The water is just so... special

and the unit design is cool

and what the hell Japanese robots

Gumpy on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh my god so much awesome.

Come out nooowwwww.

yalborap on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Release October 2008 - PC and 360 only apparently. No mention of PS3 in the demo. Hmm.

Heh no ps3 yet its the console that supports Keyboard and mouse, oh the irony. I would not be surprised to see the ps3 version either canned or delayed because I don't think EA has figured out how to program for the ps3 yet.

In any case this game looks pretty awesome and I can't wait to buy the PC version my computer longs for a new RTS.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited May 2008
    Really the #1 needed improvement was to get rid of the freeform building from C&C3 and make it grid based... and they did it. <3

APZonerunner on
    edited May 2008
    Really the #1 needed improvement was to get rid of the freeform building from C&C3 and make it grid based... and they did it. <3

Looks more like a compromise to me. Freeform, but with a grid showing where any problems lie or how close things really are.

yalborap on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    greeble wrote: »

Heh no ps3 yet its the console that supports Keyboard and mouse, oh the irony. I would not be surprised to see the ps3 version either canned or delayed because I don't think EA has figured out how to program for the ps3 yet.

I'm sorry but what

Gumpy on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who wants to see a 15 minute live demo of the game.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/29291/PC/Command-Conquer-Red-Alert-3

- Man cannons
    -Dreadnoughts, Aircraft Carriers, Tesla troopers and a shit load of returning units - WITH - original voice work.
    - Vacuum bomb is fucking incredible
    - Building a base on water.
    - Amphibious units
    - Hell March
    - New units and MECHS

Basically, this game looks astounding. And I mean properly good. Some parts mirror the style of Starcraft 2, with the raised mesas and things. Very very impressive so far, none of the fiddly base building shit from CnC3, all fan service all the time and plenty of nice explosions. Graphics look great.

Looks shit hot.

I like how they've put their own watermark on top of the IGN watermark.

Peewi on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    cons:
    "Generals"
    +building on the battlefield
    +'ore nodes, nice and simple'

pros:
    colors chosen and art style is wonderful
    amphibious/water bases sound awesome. ... and is that a fucking Telsa - holy shit, it is!
    better base building - grid.
    ghost-images of where the units are going to be.
    vacuum bomb!
    --
    Guy's really good at giving presentations.

I'll probably be picking this up.

Tamin on
    edited May 2008
    Tamin wrote: »
    cons:
    "Generals"
    +building on the battlefield
    +'ore nodes, nice and simple'

pros:
    colors chosen and art style is wonderful
    amphibious/water bases sound awesome. ... and is that a fucking Telsa - holy shit, it is!
    better base building - grid.
    ghost-images of where the units are going to be.
    vacuum bomb!
    --
    Guy's really good at giving presentations.

I'll probably be picking this up.

Well, it sounded to me like maybe only the Soviets build on the battlefield, and the others do it the oldschool way. If Soviet buildings were cheaper/more durable, this could provide an excellent contrast.

yalborap on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, on reflection, it does. I was just writing down what initial impressions as I watched it.

Tamin on
  • PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean by building on the battlefield. As opposed to what? I'm confused.

Psykmoe on
    edited May 2008
    In all-but-Generals, you click the icon, it ties up a production slot for X time, at which point it's 'constructed', and can be placed. Where the animation is completely superfluous.

In this, you click the icon, choose a location, and the animation is required, as that's the actual building. Which is only a step or two away from Starcraft and Generals, where you have a dedicated builder unit, who then gets tied up in the building process.

Tamin on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In the other Red Alerts you would pay for a building, and after a set amount of time, you could drop it wherever you saw fit.

edit: beatd'

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited May 2008
    Personally, any and all problems I might have had were relieved when I saw the Man Cannon and Japanese mecha.

Because dammit, when I can shoot soldiers at mecha like torpedos from my transport, the game auto-wins right there.

yalborap on
    edited May 2008
    Tamin wrote: »
    In all-but-Generals, you click the icon, it ties up a production slot for X time, at which point it's 'constructed', and can be placed. Where the animation is completely superfluous.

In this, you click the icon, choose a location, and the animation is required, as that's the actual building. Which is only a step or two away from Starcraft and Generals, where you have a dedicated builder unit, who then gets tied up in the building process.

I'm pretty sure that the guy in the video said this was a Soviet thing? I may have heard wrong, but I think it may be something unique to the Soviet faction. Perhaps faster build-times but more vunerability while building... none of that place a turret in your base while it's under attack stuff.

APZonerunner on
  • Cpt_InnocuousCpt_Innocuous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was disappointed with C&C3, but this looks promising. Too bad my compy can't play it.

Cpt_Innocuous on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I look at all those water battles and only one term I never thought I'd use comes to mind.

Gratuitous beauty. x_X

It's SO frickin' pretty. I can't stop looking watching!

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
    edited May 2008
    I do think those expecting a drastic depature from the C&C3 style are in for a shock, though, this is more of an evolution, not a reboot. I'm not arguing with this, mind.

APZonerunner on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I do think those expecting a drastic depature from the C&C3 style are in for a shock, though, this is more of an evolution, not a reboot. I'm not arguing with this, mind.

To be fair none of the Red Alert games have been drastically different to their corresponding C&C game. Though they've always arguably been better. Except for RA2, which was DEFINATELY better than Tiberian Sun.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

To be fair none of the Red Alert games have been drastically different to their corresponding C&C game. Though they've always arguably been better. Except for RA2, which was DEFINATELY better than Tiberian Sun.

I think in this case will be an exception. CnC3 is very unique and i think RA3 will be aswell. Different aspects of the same gameplay.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't even make the connection but now it's obvious, duh.

Psykmoe on
    edited May 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

I'd go as far as to say Tiberian Sun is the weakest in the series overall. It's a pretty solid game, but in the wider C&C spectrum it's pretty much plot and little else. All the others have some standout elements/changes and a unique reason to play it - even Generals - TS just focuses on the plot.

It would also be worth considering making thsi a C&C master thread or something. There's Kane's Wrath 360 and Tiberium coming up alongside Red Alert, and we could do Game Ons of the older titles in the series, from C&C3 back.

APZonerunner on
This discussion has been closed.