As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not a gravity gun, it's a telekinesis gun.

Man. They're not even similar.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm certainly curious how those alien things come about considering the girlfriend says that they are
    people she knows, or that they at least have their faces. Nothing in the comics so far has even hinted at mutation, there was a weird thing found in the sewer but I didn't notice any connection to anyone in the station who seemed to be just going insane or commiting suicide.
    Yeah, except for like
    you know the first comic, dubbed "Introduction" that takes place weeks after everything else. The one where the woman is still alive and mutated? The only one with a monster in it at all.
    Besides that, nothing.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope the designers are miserly with the ammo.

I hate games that claim they will scare the shit out of you, only to find you can carry around an assault rifle, two pistols, a sniper rifle, a magnum, a pump shotgun, an automatic shotgun, a rocket launcher and a fucking nuclear missile in your ass.

An FPS becomes terrifying when you have scary shit going on AND limited options to deal with said scary shit.

intercept on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    I'm certainly curious how those alien things come about considering the girlfriend says that they are
    people she knows, or that they at least have their faces. Nothing in the comics so far has even hinted at mutation, there was a weird thing found in the sewer but I didn't notice any connection to anyone in the station who seemed to be just going insane or commiting suicide.
    Yeah, except for like
    you know the first comic, dubbed "Introduction" that takes place weeks after everything else. The one where the woman is still alive and mutated? The only one with a monster in it at all.
    Besides that, nothing.

No need to be a dick. I haven't seen that one.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    intercept wrote: »

I hate games that claim they will scare the shit out of you, only to find you can carry around an assault rifle, two pistols, a sniper rifle, a magnum, a pump shotgun, an automatic shotgun, a rocket launcher and a fucking nuclear missile in your ass.

An FPS becomes terrifying when you have scary shit going on AND limited options to deal with said scary shit.

Well, you're in luck, I suppose, if the developers can be believed.

They've stated many times that ammo will be in limited supply and most of the weapons aren't really meant to be weapons at all, but are repurposed tools.

There's also melee combat involving items from your environment and instead of being some lithe and agile kung-fu man, you just grab things and brute force smash the shit out of things.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That always makes me sad, since I don't play scary games to be scared. I play them to make scary things scared of me. Watching them writhe in agony before I crush the life out of their burbling, dripping bodies is a joy like no other.

I'm not a monster, I'm a Human with a pump action shotgun.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Daxon wrote: »

I'm 99% sure it has to do with mutations and "accelerated evolution" things. This is because in the game play video a monster took a bit of another monster and used it to augment its strength and also when attacking stuff they might mutate into something different and attack in a different way.

The cultists also keep on talking about how the mark is the way to new levels of understanding beyond death or some such nonsense; which kind of hints at the idea of ascension. I dunno; I'm certain they mutated cause of the mystical energy or some parasite that possesses the crew and turns them into battle machines.

In one of the comics it is proclaimed
    "We already conquered heaven only to find out that god isn't there." - while referring to the first marker.

I just wonder what they found exactly with the first one? BTW, are the paper versions of the comics more elaborate?

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

Well, you're in luck, I suppose, if the developers can be believed.

They've stated many times that ammo will be in limited supply and most of the weapons aren't really meant to be weapons at all, but are repurposed tools.

There's also melee combat involving items from your environment and instead of being some lithe and agile kung-fu man, you just grab things and brute force smash the shit out of things.

I sincerely hope they deliver. Bioshock ended up disappointing me when I could carry every gun in the game, get every power and the powers were just like getting new guns.

So even though Ken Levine lamented about publishers rejecting it and calling it "another goddamn shooter", it really was another goddamn shooter. Just one with a really cool story and voice acting.

Here's to hoping Dead Space is genuinely different. People need a break from playing superhumans with black hole inventories every now and then.

intercept on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    august wrote: »
    It's coming out for PC.

Did they announce it for PC? I've only head them talk about the PS3/360 versions.

Drool on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    People need a break from playing superhumans with black hole inventories every now and then.

I agree with this, though I usually encounter that sort of gameplay in heavily modded role playing games. I turned oblivion into the closest thing to a survival horror game difficulty wise.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    People need a break from playing superhumans with black hole inventories every now and then.

I agree with this, though I usually encounter that sort of gameplay in heavily modded role playing games. I turned oblivion into the closest thing to a survival horror game difficulty wise.

When you can turn yourself into a stealthy character, yeah it's great.

intercept on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    It's coming out for PC.

Did they announce it for PC? I've only head them talk about the PS3/360 versions.

The official website lists PS3, 360 and PC-CD as the platforms.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    It's coming out for PC.

I believe they even mentioned the PC version in the announcement press release, but all the gaming websites completely glossed over the PC version and just claimed 360 and PS3 only because PC gaming is already dead.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wonder what the requirements for the PC version will look like.

tofu on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's coming out for PC.

Yes.

august on
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks like a great game. Rental in my book, unless there is some multiplayer component to keep me interested, but I'm looking forward to playing it. Should be lots of fun.

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Conversely, I'm hoping there is no multiplayer.

I seem to recall RE4 did alright without it, and it'd be a real shame to have them tack it on just to pander to people who want to tick it off on the back of a box.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just hope they port it to PC, and take a lesson from Mass Effect PC while they're at it.

Unless it sucks of course.

Doesn't Mass Effect PC have some kind of bug that causes some PCs to overheat and shutdown?

No, that's the 360 version.

heyo

Ooh, Burn!
    Sorry

In any case, Warrior, where on Earth did you hear that one? It sure as heck hasn't happened on this end. Unless a game comes on a solid magnesium disc I can't see it heating up my PC any more than any other game. O_o

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    20050218h.jpg

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    I just hope they port it to PC, and take a lesson from Mass Effect PC while they're at it.

Doesn't Mass Effect PC have some kind of bug that causes some PCs to overheat and shutdown?

heyo

Ooh, Burn!
    Sorry

In any case, Warrior, where on Earth did you hear that one? It sure as heck hasn't happened on this end. Unless a game comes on a solid magnesium disc I can't see it heating up my PC any more than any other game. O_o

Torrent networks. I was reading the comments and people seemed to keep mentioning that there was a fix necessary for some kind of defect. I don't mean like it shut all your fans down or something, might just be some kind of fatal loop that overloads the cpu or something. Again it was just very mentioned in the comments, but I can't find any kind of official statement on it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the ship and main character design, but the idea of shooting demon-guy-with-scythe-hands #1,876,972 doesn't really appeal to me.

I want a game like Alien, where I have no fucking ammo and a limited number of very, very deadly things out to kill me.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

heyo

Ooh, Burn!
    Sorry

Torrent networks. I was reading the comments and people seemed to keep mentioning that there was a fix necessary for some kind of defect. I don't mean like it shut all your fans down or something, might just be some kind of fatal loop that overloads the cpu or something. Again it was just very mentioned in the comments, but I can't find any kind of official statement on it.

I think it's safe to say that those guys are a whole Internet Retardation Level (or IRL) below youtube posters, and as such are not to be taken seriously. Or like, at all.

I can't say I've heard anyone say the game puts you into a fatal loop of DOOM or anything. Anything like that would be a pretty huge coding error, and even then, your copy would probably just crash instead of overheating your CPU / GPU. You'd probably even start seeing visual artifacts on-screen well before anything's overheating enough to actually cause a shutdown.

If there's a problem like that, I'd guess at it being for the cracked version. And even then I sincerely doubt it.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I did a google search for Mass Effect Overheat.

There's a bug dealing with the weapons overheating for too long.

Like you know, IN the game.

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I like the ship and main character design, but the idea of shooting demon-guy-with-scythe-hands #1,876,972 doesn't really appeal to me.

I want a game like Alien, where I have no fucking ammo and a limited number of very, very deadly things out to kill me.

Well, Obsidian are working on the Alien game, so I'm happy seeing where this game goes.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I did a google search for Mass Effect Overheat.

There's a bug dealing with the weapons overheating for too long.

Like you know, IN the game.

Lol. That's less dramatic but more sensible.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes it is a known but and they will probably fix it in a patch.
    It's coming out for PC.

I believe they even mentioned the PC version in the announcement press release, but all the gaming websites completely glossed over the PC version and just claimed 360 and PS3 only because PC gaming is already dead.

Fucking assholes. See I haven't been to the main site, but I've read plenty of articles about it on several "credible" gaming sites, cocksuckers all of them.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yes it is a known but and they will probably fix it in a patch.
    It's coming out for PC.

Fucking assholes. See I haven't been to the main site, but I've read plenty of articles about it on several "credible" gaming sites, cocksuckers all of them.

That's not strictly true. The inital press release only mentioned PS3 and 360 versions. It's only later that the devs confirmed the PC version as well, although most of the press doesn't seem to have caught on to this yet.

It's still due for the same date as the other two versions.

subedii on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I've been thinking about Dead Space a lot the past couple of days. I'm pretty psyched for it. Can't wait for Issue 4, either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope we get to see the face of the main character

I'm tired of helmeted heroes

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

I'm not.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

I'm not.

I'm more concerned over whether or not this dude will be an actual character. I find it pretty lame when the protagonist of a game doesn't speak, has amnesia, or something else along those lines.

It worked back in the day, but now I think it's just lazy writing/design.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are you trying to put down Half Life 2?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Well, Obsidian are working on the Alien game, so I'm happy seeing where this game goes.

It's Gearbox, isn't it? And I completely forgot that was out.

New pants.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Are you trying to put down Half Life 2?

HL2 is like the one exception.

And that's only because I have a boner for Alyx Vance.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

It's Gearbox, isn't it? And I completely forgot that was out.

New pants.

Gearbox are working on a squad-based Alien FPS.

Motherfucking-"KOTOR II"-Obsidian are working on a motherfucking Alien RPG.

I... I think you can tell which I'm more excited for, though.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Then I'll take the other one. Aliens FPS from Gearbox?

Hell yes.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, I'm excited for the FPS too. Just not as much.

I can't really resist anything Alien based. Except, perhaps bizarrely, the AvP films.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's easily done. Those films don't exist because they were formed in a bizarro dimension where somehow, something containing both a xenomorph and the predator manages to suck to an inversely proportional level of how awesome they both are.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.furaffinity.net/full/1408423/

Some good Dead Space fan art. Don't mind the link it is 100% work safe and 100% non-furry. He takes liberties with the main character's design, but explains why in the description. My comment a billion posts down explains why it wouldn't work though.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zen can draw things that aren't loaded with bright colors?

I mean, uhh.. This game looks fantastic, and the animated comics are very interesting.

This may just be a blue dot post. Pay no attention to this line.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
This discussion has been closed.