As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I check cheapassgamer daily hoping to see this game on sale somewhere.... :cry:

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Currently in Chapter 2 and I'm really digging the game. I can see myself playing through it a couple times. I'm playing on PS3 and I know the latest firmware let you take screenshots on a game by game basis but I'm not sure if Dead Space supports it. I really wish it did though cause so many times, I wanna make a screenshot.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ohio wrote: »

You need to explain this further. You bought it for 360, played it a bit, stopped playing, said to yourself, "I like playing this so much that I need to buy it again," went and bought it again - the exact same game - and then came back home. And then which version did you play? What the hell is the point?

And you cancelled your Bioshock preorder to do it. Bioshock, which you played last year. Let me give you a tip - if you like playing a game, you're allowed to play it again. You know, the copy you already own. You don't have to keep buying it every time you want to play it.

Well, I already had Bioshock PS3 paid off from a while back, and the main reason I was going to play it again was to get the trophies and see the eventual new PS3 downloadable content. After playing Dead Space for about 90 minutes, I decided that I enjoy it more than Bioshock, and that I'd rather play the PS3 Dead Space instead of the PS3 Bioshock. It didn't cost me any additional money since the pre-order was paid off. And yes, I still have my 360 copy of Bioshock.

Basically, I'm crazy about games that I really enjoy. It doesn't happen too often, but every now and then a game clicks with me so much that I want to buy more than one version. Bioshock was one of those games last year...I bought the PC and 360 versions, both collectors editions, because I thought it was awesome and I wanted two Big Daddy figurines.

I enjoy this game even more, so it just made more sense to me to spend that money on Dead Space instead of Bioshock. Plus, I felt better supporting a new IP rather than a marginally improved port of a year-old title. I'll probably finish the 360 version first, although I fired it up on PS3 last night to show the opening to my dad.

Basically, every now and then I love a game a whole bunch, and I go crazy for it. I know it's insane, and I know it baffles people, but I'm okay with that. You're more than welcome to think I'm stupid or think that the game isn't great enough to warrant two purchases. That's the magic of opinions.

Plus, it still cost me less than that crazy 150 dollar limited edition version. I'm not THAT insane. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So you're just $30 shy of insane. Gotcha.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It still kind of blows my mind. If I had completely paid for a preorder of game I'd already beaten (and own!) this month, Fallout 3 would be what I'd switch my order to, not another copy of a game I'm currently playing (and haven't beaten yet).

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I've already got Fallout 3 paid off, and it's the other game I'm most looking forward to this month.

Yeah, I know, it's crazy. I've done this pretty much since I was a little kid. If I love a game, and there's another iteration of it out there, I will almost always check it out.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not sure I understand. What are you gaining by buying the same game twice? There is no difference between the two.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't really point at bynstar and say I don't understand. I bought a game years ago simply because I knew about it and wanted to support it...and then never played it. (CoC : DCotE) Bought it on release day, as a matter of fact.

So, while it's not the same, I find that I can kind of see his position from my point of view.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guys, should I go for the 360 or PS3 version?
    On one hand, I like the 360's controller.
    On the other hand, I have a PS3.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bearcat wrote: »

Wii version

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I guess you could buy the 360 version and stare at it.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Wii version

Genius,
    This way, I won't have to lose sleep over whether or not the purchase was worth it, because I can't even play it! I'll know right away! The answer was no!

Bearcat on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I live to serve.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tofu wrote: »

In my defense, I'll have accomplished the same goal in less amount of time: nothing.

But seriously, I have both consoles guys.

EDIT:
    360 and PS3, that is.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I heard they looked the same, so pick whichever controller you like the best.

tofu on
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It looks like it comes down to which you want more: fake trophies or fake achievement points.

Ohio on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tofu wrote: »

In my defense, I'll have accomplished the same goal in less amount of time: nothing.

EDIT:
    360 and PS3, that is.

Buy the PC version and use the adaptor to play with your 360 controller.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    Ohio wrote: »

You need to explain this further. You bought it for 360, played it a bit, stopped playing, said to yourself, "I like playing this so much that I need to buy it again," went and bought it again - the exact same game - and then came back home. And then which version did you play? What the hell is the point?

And you cancelled your Bioshock preorder to do it. Bioshock, which you played last year. Let me give you a tip - if you like playing a game, you're allowed to play it again. You know, the copy you already own. You don't have to keep buying it every time you want to play it.

Well, I already had Bioshock PS3 paid off from a while back, and the main reason I was going to play it again was to get the trophies and see the eventual new PS3 downloadable content. After playing Dead Space for about 90 minutes, I decided that I enjoy it more than Bioshock, and that I'd rather play the PS3 Dead Space instead of the PS3 Bioshock. It didn't cost me any additional money since the pre-order was paid off. And yes, I still have my 360 copy of Bioshock.

Basically, I'm crazy about games that I really enjoy. It doesn't happen too often, but every now and then a game clicks with me so much that I want to buy more than one version. Bioshock was one of those games last year...I bought the PC and 360 versions, both collectors editions, because I thought it was awesome and I wanted two Big Daddy figurines.

I enjoy this game even more, so it just made more sense to me to spend that money on Dead Space instead of Bioshock. Plus, I felt better supporting a new IP rather than a marginally improved port of a year-old title. I'll probably finish the 360 version first, although I fired it up on PS3 last night to show the opening to my dad.

Basically, every now and then I love a game a whole bunch, and I go crazy for it. I know it's insane, and I know it baffles people, but I'm okay with that. You're more than welcome to think I'm stupid or think that the game isn't great enough to warrant two purchases. That's the magic of opinions.

Plus, it still cost me less than that crazy 150 dollar limited edition version. I'm not THAT insane. :)

With Bioshock I can kind of...barely....understand it, because there is some small amount of new content. But with Dead Space, it is the exact same game. It's cool that you're a big fan of video games. All of us here are. But there are so many games - why not use that money to buy a different game you haven't already paid off?

Ohio on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

EDIT:
    360 and PS3, that is.

If you must buy it before the PC version comes out (like I did) or don't have a good enough PC to handle it, get the 360 version. I really like the way the control feels (and I don't like the PS3 controller much at all).

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck you guys, the pulse rifle is my go-to when I run out of plasma charges and line racks (I keep the flamethrower for those litte swarming fuckers)

Ammo for it builds up a lot faster than the others, so by the time I deplete everything else I've got 300+ pulse rounds ready to go, and it's awesome for long-range combat

Green on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incidentally, I love your new Dead Space sig, Green.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am terrified by the realization that sooner or later I am going to have to fight that thing

Green on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm starting to consider the idea of going for the 'Beating the Game using only the Plasma Cutter' achievement. You get so much ammo for it, it's crazy!

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    I can't really point at bynstar and say I don't understand. I bought a game years ago simply because I knew about it and wanted to support it...and then never played it. (CoC : DCotE) Bought it on release day, as a matter of fact.

So, while it's not the same, I find that I can kind of see his position from my point of view.

This is really a big part of it too. EA hardly ever puts this much money and support behind a new IP, and it really struck a chord with me. I considered using the money on another game, but I really like this one, and I decided that I would rather buy another copy of Dead Space to support the IP and to get the trophies.

I know it's baffling. I'm not expecting it to make sense. But that's the choice I felt was best for me, and I'm sticking to it. I love Dead Space, and I'm glad so much effort was put into it.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I haven't played it yet because my Xbox took a shit, but I'm chomping at the bit to find out if there's any monsters more depraved and fucked up then the one in Green's sig. Because that bastard is disgusting.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Finally got this today at Circuit City, even got a $10 gift card for free.

Wow wee, this game has some hot graphics. Like, probably the best graphics this year. And I seriously love the HUD system, how all the info is attatched to the character.

I'm also very glad Isaac doesn't talk, because the voice acting in the animated comics were just awful.

Just a couple of questions though.

1. Some comments at GAF suggest the game is too easy in Normal mode, and that Hard is the way to go. Anyone here feel the same? I've had a few encounters, and it's sort of in the easy side. Just curious if it ramps up accordingly or if I should switch to Hard.

2. I downloaded the PS3 exclusive suit a week ago, and installed it to...well I dunno where stuff like that goes. How do I access this suit in the game?

3. It says the game goes up to 1080p, but on my Samsung it reads 720p. I've been told before how it's best to leave the settings to automatic when it comes to picking a resolution, but I'm curious if it'll look better if I force it to use 1080p.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here's a random question: Does the time in the pause menu count towards your overall when saving?

'cause it's starting to look like it doesn't, from here. If so, that makes me happy.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    2. I downloaded the PS3 exclusive suit a week ago, and installed it to...well I dunno where stuff like that goes. How do I access this suit in the game?

For the 360 version, it just did some sort of scan for the content, then when I found a store later on it was in there for 0 credits.

For the other two questions? I don't know.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

3. It says the game goes up to 1080p, but on my Samsung it reads 720p. I've been told before how it's best to leave the settings to automatic when it comes to picking a resolution, but I'm curious if it'll look better if I force it to use 1080p.

2. I think when you get to the bit where you can buy suits the exclusive will be there.

3. It might only look better if the scaler on your TV is shit.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The only graphical issue I have is Isaac's shadow

Seriously, it looks like he's made of LEGO blocks

Green on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1. Some comments at GAF suggest the game is too easy in Normal mode, and that Hard is the way to go. Anyone here feel the same? I've had a few encounters, and it's sort of in the easy side. Just curious if it ramps up accordingly or if I should switch to Hard.

1. I'm playing it my first run through on Medium, to get a feel for it. I'd suggest doing this, and stepping up to hard if you think it's waaaay too easy after the first few chapters, or playing through a second time on hard for some challenge.

2. If it's on your HDD, when you go to the store for the first time, the Obsidian suit will be at the bottom of the list for free. ONCE YOU PUT IT ON, IT CAN'T BE TAKEN OFF UNLESS REPLACED BY A BETTER OR SAME LEVEL SUIT.

3. If the TV does 720p, play the game in 720p. Native resolutions are always the best.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I figured it would be in the store, haven't gotten there yet.

Also, as weird as it sounds, that Kendra has some sexy curves. Just surprised about that sort of thing considering the setting, or maybe that's an intentional nod to horror movies.

I'm not sure if I want her to develop a slow romantic interest in Isaac, or meet a gruesome limb-removing death.
    It'll probably be both.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I find myself stomping on every corpse that I come across. I can't be the only one.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I find myself stomping on every corpse that I come across. I can't be the only one.

I stomp every corpse I find and every corpse I make. I feel the best way to make sure they're dead is the crush their heads with my boots.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So lets say I like RE games but HATE HATE RE:4 and also like fps style games in this genre like Condemned. Am I correct to assume I will still like this? (my main beef with RE:4 is it doesn't feel like RE and because the title is RE I can't enjoy it as much because its such a departure from what I wanted out of RE games)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Picked this up last night

there's no multiplayer right?

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You absolutely aren't. I love the huge STOMP those giant space boots make.

These boots were made for stomping, and that is what I'll do.

I love the guy's suit. At first I cried "Big Daddy ripoff", but then realized that "Big Space Daddy" is awesome regardless.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I stomp every corpse I find and every corpse I make. I feel the best way to make sure they're dead is the crush their heads with my boots.

I stomp the hell out of everything I kill, but mostly because it's very cathartic.

MOTHER *stomp* FUCKER! *stomp*

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

I stomp the hell out of everything I kill, but mostly because it's very cathartic.

A thousand times this

Green on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Green wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

A thousand times this

That too. It certainly helps alleviate some of the fear when you can curb stomp the thing that just scared the hell out of you.

Also, has anyone successfully killed an enemy with only melee? I believe there's an achievement for killing some number of enemies with melee only.

MiSTieOtaku on
This discussion has been closed.