As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mini-Phalla] The Book of Relic - GAME OVER: SOUTH IS VICTORIOUS - Narration Tomorrow

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I couldn't sleep so here I am. Locus, I have to sayyour spreadsheets are neater than mine...

This was a pretty cool first experience running a phalla. No big controversies or anything. By the end Crovaxan was basically screwed but I was kind of rooting for him.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, at least it wasn't my own team that killed me! I was so disappointed to have died so soon, I had only given out one of my four roles.

Fembot on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you're right about the green vote. Not so sure about the # of vigs, though. Like I said, the only day that really got messed up by green voting was Day 2.

BIG EDIT: And thanks to Lawinator for doing pretty much all of the grunt work for the game. He made my life much easier.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually, did Egos get the Vig kill I granted him, or did my death take place first in the order of operations?

Fembot on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wasn't really digging this game. I loved the fact that every one was special, but the loss of the vote kinda killed the game for me.

I was a cool game, but it really didn't click with me. I guess I like traditonal phallas.

I just felt the vote should have carried more weight.

The end game was played in PM instead the of in the thread, and I just don't like that.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fem you were my evil twin, who'd you give abilities to? I'm not seeing any actions on the sheet.

I figued I'd start with a thrall and hope he was an enemy seer or at least a good seer heh.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate to say it, but our glorious win was due almost entirely to luck.

Day 1, East Wind had 2 teamkills, we had one teamkill and one kill blocked by Crovaxan's invulnerability.
    Day 2, East Wind had 2 more teamkills and killed one of us, we had one teamkill and killed two of them.

That gave us the four-man margin we rode to victory.

Wait, that's only three. We picked up the fourth the next day when we voted out Shamus I guess.

Interestingly, neither team lost any truly critical specials for a while.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Some flavor things you may or may not find interesting.

-Soma the Wolf had a cameo in Gods of Phalla. His character was here first, and I borrowed him for one of the Slayers.
    -Govender the Harvester, on the other hand, was borrowed from Gods of Phalla, where he was Govender the Lion.
    -Govender's character was based on Maximus Decimus Meridius, from the movie Gladiator.
    -Setular was originally named Cepsular, but I thought that it made it too obvious to identify him as the son of King Receps.
    -Phallax Dual-edge was originally Tuax Dual-edge, but I found that name too heavy-handed. He is, of course, named after the robot.
    -Though never mentioned in any of the flavor text, Wyranth was supposed to be the younger brother of Celanth and Polanth.
    -Tonnic the Fist was based on Dujek Onearm, from the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    -Soma the Wolf was based on a combination of Heracles, Achilles, Zhao Yun, and Huang Zhong.
    -Meland the Resplendent was based on Lancelot du Lac.
    -The overall storyline of the game was based on both the Illiad and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, with a little bit of the Heike Monogatari thrown in.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I found it fitting that I lived an extra day so that I could die in the narration with the only person I'd really talked to outside of the thread. hi5 Bliss, hehe.

I liked the narration Locus, would have been interesting to see where it would have gone had the game lasted longer.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    Fem you were my evil twin, who'd you give abilities to? I'm not seeing any actions on the sheet.

I figued I'd start with a thrall and hope he was an enemy seer or at least a good seer heh.

I didn't give any out the first night. The second day Egos contacted me, he'd picked me for seering and fortunately was on my side. I sent in the orders to give him the vig kill, and I died that night >_<

Fembot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game Toxic Toys. This makes me sad. I hope you will still play my main phalla when it comes up. It will be much more traditional and the theme is super cool and there will be no wonky voting stuff. Damn, I really need to get back to work on that...

Also, keep in mind that, when designing mechanics and such, I was taking a lot of cues from Transformers phalla. Most significantly, I was counting on each side having at least a minimal network by the end of Day 2.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    heh lucky seer there.

Exarch on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just remember, no matter what Locus said - Pirates Rule

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Locus wrote: »
    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game Toxic Toys. This makes me sad. I hope you will still play my main phalla when it comes up. It will be much more traditional and the theme is super cool and there will be no wonky voting stuff. Damn, I really need to get back to work on that...

Also, keep in mind that, when designing mechanics and such, I was taking a lot of cues from Transformers phalla. Most significantly, I was counting on each side having at least a minimal network by the end of Day 2.

I kinda enjoyed the game, the narration was awesome. I just didn't like the mechanics.

The thing I love about phalla is not matter how piss ant your role is, vou still have a vote that can change the outcome of the game. It just wasn't here in this game. DUE even said (not in these words) we can ignore the red vote if we all voted lime. That's what made it less enjoyable. The vote didn't matter and people in the thread couldn't get a read on people. I know I used it to my advantage.

It's a good concept, but if you had to make a red vote might have changed the way the game was played.

But I'm just being a bitch.

Edit - If the narration is as cool in your main game, I'm so in Locus

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think maybe if the red vote gave a static 20%-30% chance of someone dying would work better, since you could basically gain an extra vigilante kill by revealing 4 members of your team. As it was, it's almost impossible to get the chance of someone dying above 50%, because every vote cast not only increased the chance of the person you were voting for dying, it decreased the chance of everyone else dying.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I concur. Faulty assumptions on my part ruined the mechanic. Alas!

Locus on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, the green vote sort of screwed things, and the Red vote was too ineffectual.

I enjoyed the game because it was simple. All you needed to do was figure out who went where, and you could target freely.

But that also took a lot of the Phalla fun out of the game. TeamPhallas sort of suck if there's only two teams. At least throw in a neutral faction for extra-special fun!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My ability (choose someone, their action goes first) was essentially useless in a two team mini-phalla where no one knew who was on their team, etc.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was a bit strange, and these "two-sided" phallas usually end with one side dominating (Dongs, Decepticons, South Wind).

The narrations and backstories were TOP-NOTCH though. Holy shit I'd buy the book.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To all east winders

all of you not called B:L and Obbi can now go and jump into a really hot fire

and that is what I hate about straight death match Phallas

You have to rely on other people. Not just a couple of them, but half of them in the game. From my reveal two east winders got into contact with me, and one (Obbi) did it when I was asleep and was dead by the time I woke up.

So much hate

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Varcayn is on my people to hate forever list again

This is a record hes already been on it once when he called my Robotic armies whores in Diplomacy.

England burned.

Glad to see that he spent the game furthering the cause of the east wind by killing newbies.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wait no Egos does not need to die in a fire

He can go over there to where B:L and Obbi are standing

Gumpy on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah, I see that Varcayen already posted

It really wasn't that big a deal to me when I got killed, but it did strike me as odd as everyone was being really nice to the newb :P

I really did not expect him to go as far as he did (apologizing and withdrawing from the game, but it was his choice and i of course accepted his apology immediatley.

But since he asked me to remain silent about his confession as to not spoil the game i thought i'd step it up and whine a bit about it. Please note that this was all in all in good spirits and as far as i'm concerned we're cool.

i'd like to urge you all to not grudge him on my behalf, because he has been super helpful explaining some of the mechanics of the game to me and answering questions and i'm looking forward to be in the next one with him for longer than day 1.

I do wonder how this game would have panned out if the east didn't lose their main special(me!) on day one.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I won. In my own special way.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    My ability (choose someone, their action goes first) was essentially useless in a two team mini-phalla where no one knew who was on their team, etc.

If you were on the south team yea fair point

if you were on the east team die a fire

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    gumpy, more like gRumpy amirite

j/k, this was some poor play by east all around, the fist was rolling in his grave from day 2 to the end.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Varcayn is forgiven for all his actions

bwanie put the R in there

He is going to be taken out

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Short but sweet. A solid win for the South Wind.

Also I'm quite interested to find out how many people did actually die due to the vote and how many were saved by it.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »

:shock:

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bwanie wrote: »

:shock:

The R stands for the rage I feel when people put it in there

Raaaaargh

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    vote gumpy '08!

- forgiveness for some, slow burning death for the rest -

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grr I had an awesome role. I was Soma the Wolf, supposedly immune to most vig abilities.

So who was the backstabbing bastard who got me killed?

Or was it just a lucky guess on the part of my evil East counterpart?

edit: the best part was, I was also a Thrall, thanks to Exarch. On the day I died I seemed to be about to be able to gain the trust of Gumpy, and then I was approached by Egos about an East network which prompted me to kill Gumpy since I figured I don't need him for my evil infiltration purposes anymore.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    my role was pretty awesome too.

anyone want to see the role PM? it's pretty epyc!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fembot wrote: »
    Actually, did Egos get the Vig kill I granted him, or did my death take place first in the order of operations?

I didn't get it. I clarified with TheLawinator and apparently your Death nullified any action you sent in - So no vigi :(

edit: I agree with the other great narrations. And I liked the epicness in character naming conventions.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I enjoyed this, partly because I don't usually get awesome roles, but I felt the rules weren't all that well suited for a mini. The game was over before people had enough information to start thinking about strategy. I think this type of phalla is best suited for large games that last for a fairly long time.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To all east winders

You have to rely on other people. Not just a couple of them, but half of them in the game. From my reveal two east winders got into contact with me, and one (Obbi) did it when I was asleep and was dead by the time I woke up.

So much hate

Um, Gumpy...

I don't know exactly how to say this...

You may want to check out the spreadsheet.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    To all east winders

So much hate

Um, Gumpy...

I don't know exactly how to say this...

You may want to check out the spreadsheet.

ahahahha B:L you glorious bastard.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ya i apologize for my mistakes. after the slaughter and FWD seemingly strong network, I reacted in an odd way (defeatist/desperate ) after day 2.

And there was some trouble trusting Gumpy completely due to his survival... and how he came out so quickly. Sadly I didn't think he would survive so I didn't seer his alignment.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I totally didn't trust those reveals. I automatically assumed they were working together, and without access to a seer I felt no urge to pm either of them.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I thought FWD was East Wind, because I got killed as soon as I contacted him.

But looking at the spreadsheet, two people targeted me with a kill that day so I guess I just lime voted for myself too many times.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg