As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Exalted: War For The Throne

• PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    are backgrounds only 2 xp per dot?

because then Anathema lied to me and I need to redo my sheet

I asked Rainfall and 2 XP*rating apparently.

Did she say whether it was 2 per dot or are they bought like Abilities (current rating*2 per dot)? Up until now I've been building mine off of the errata suggestion of a flat 3 per dot.

Edit: That is, I'm unsure if this is saying to buy 5 dots of a background I need to spend 2*5 or if I need to spend 2*(current rating) each time I raise it.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Current rating*2, first point costs 2.

And background mostly done. If someone wants to work out something collaborative, shoot me PM or poke me on MSN.

Cynic Jester on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    are backgrounds only 2 xp per dot?

because then Anathema lied to me and I need to redo my sheet

I asked Rainfall and 2 XP*rating apparently.

Did she say whether it was 2 per dot or are they bought like Abilities (current rating*2 per dot)? Up until now I've been building mine off of the errata suggestion of a flat 3 per dot.

Edit: That is, I'm unsure if this is saying to buy 5 dots of a background I need to spend 2*5 or if I need to spend 2*(current rating) each time I raise it.

Yeah, I was doing the same, because I don't think anyone said otherwise anywhere.

I guess I'll redo the sheet sometime soonish.

INeedNoSalt on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Current rating*2, first point costs 2.

And background mostly done. If someone wants to work out something collaborative, shoot me PM or poke me on MSN.

Goddammit.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanatos on
  • LeshanLeshan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    See, this is exactly why I didn't buy any background dots with my xp. There are way to many varients and since Rainfall never specified which we're using, I just decided to not worry about it and didn't go that route.

Leshan on
    Character Sheet for Silver Squadron game: Kalen
    edited May 2008
    But my character is all about who she knows and what influence she has

Backgrounds are important

So I used the XP for Backgrounds rules that are actually in a book :p

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    I tend to do the rebellious thing and ask the GM. It's just how I roll baby.

Cynic Jester on
    edited May 2008
    Well, the book's errata, but same difference.

It's been my experience that whenever someone mentions buying backgrounds that's the method they're referring to or being approved for. Especially when someone receives or gives approval but another method for buying is not given (such as earlier in this thread). This is the first time I've ever encountered a variant.

Edit: ME AM NO WORD THINGIE. I am a compulsive editor.

Powerslave on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok, I decided that I really do like the theme and want to play so I've begun drawing up a new character(sans frustrating martial arts) but came across 2 problems.

1) Anathema won't let me combine "Dragon-Graced Weapon" and "Falling Star Maneuver" into a single combo. Both are combo-ok supplemental charms and 'Falling Star Maneuver' specifically says that it can be in a combo with charms from other abilites, so am I missing something or is Anathema wrong?

2) What decides what house a married couple belong to? IE: A member of house Peleps and house Cynis get married, are they considered to be part of house Cynis or Peleps? Is there some specific guidelines or is it just part of whatever deal the house elders made in arranging the marriage?

Last Son on
    edited May 2008
    A married couple belongs to their specific Houses. Marriage doesn't change that, which is why it's frequently used to secure alliances. Now, as to what House their CHILDREN belong to... hell, your guess is as good as mine, there.

Powerslave on
    edited May 2008
    A married couple belongs to their specific Houses. Marriage doesn't change that, which is why it's frequently used to secure alliances. Now, as to what House their CHILDREN belong to... hell, your guess is as good as mine, there.

I decided to play it safe and off the parent who came from the wrong house :P

Cynic Jester on
    edited May 2008

I decided to play it safe and off the parent who came from the wrong house :P

My favorite solution!

Powerslave on
    edited May 2008
    Found 2 more questions for Rainfall.

A) Can our characters be from the Palace of the Untamed Storm or the House of Ancient Stone, or do you want us to just be from the four 'main' schools?

B) If I have a henchman do you want me to write up a sheet for her, or just give a general description/background?

Last Son on
    edited May 2008
    I generalized my Henchmen as just being soldiers

I don't really want to write up six sheets

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    Question Rainfall: would I be able to start play with an Elemental bound to me? And would it have to be an "I break your will" type binding, or could House Ledaal have a Cselenine pact with an Elemental Court? If they did, I'd have to believe it'd be an Air Elemental Court.

And if I'm selected for the game I'll start coming up with ideas for new types of elementals that I could summon. I'd come up with the stats, then submit them to you for your approval.

Leshan on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Found 2 more questions for Rainfall.

A) Can our characters be from the Palace of the Untamed Storm or the House of Ancient Stone, or do you want us to just be from the four 'main' schools?
    Yes, but since they're not as prestigious you only get one free specialty.
    B) If I have a henchman do you want me to write up a sheet for her, or just give a general description/background?
    A general description should be fine, I can work up the stats that I'll need on my own.
    Leshan wrote:
    Question Rainfall: would I be able to start play with an Elemental bound to me? And would it have to be an "I break your will" type binding, or could House Ledaal have a Cselenine pact with an Elemental Court? If they did, I'd have to believe it'd be an Air Elemental Court.

And if I'm selected for the game I'll start coming up with ideas for new types of elementals that I could summon. I'd come up with the stats, then submit them to you for your approval.

It's only logical that you'd have at least one Elemental bound to your service.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Sheet
    Name: Sesus Demari
    Concept: Assassin for the All-Seeing Eye
    Caste: Fire
    Motivation: To see a member or ally of House Sesus ascend to the throne.

Attributes:
    Physical(Primary)-Dexterity(●●●●●), Strength(●●●), Stamina(●●)
    Mental(Secondary)-Perception(●●●), Intelligence(●●), Wits(●●●●)
    Social(Tertiary)-Charisma(●●), Manipulation(●●), Appearance(●●●)

Abilities:
    Caste and Favored
    Athletics(●●●)
    Awareness(●●●●)
    Dodge(●●●●●)
    Larceny(●●●●)
    Melee(●●●●●) (Daiklaves-●●)
    Presence(●●●) (Intimidation-●●)
    Socialize(●●●)
    Stealth(●●●●) (Moving Silently-●●)
    Other
    Archery(●)
    Integrity(●●●)
    Investigation(●●●)
    Linguistics(●) (High Realm and Low Realm)
    Lore(●●)
    Martial Arts(●)
    Performance(●)
    Resistance(●●)
    Ride(●)
    War(●)

Background:
    Artifact(●●●)-6 dots of artifacts.
    Backing(●●)-The All-Seeing Eye
    Breeding(●●●)
    Connections(●●)-House Sesus
    Henchmen(●)-Brukath Kusari
    Manse(●●●)-6 dots of hearthstones.
    Resources(●●●)

Charms:
    Effortlessly Rising Flame
    Falling Star Maneuver
    First Dodge Excellency
    Safety Among Enemies
    Observer Awareness Method
    Imposter’s Voice Technique
    First Melee Excellency
    Dragon-Graced Weapon
    Refining the Inner Blade
    Ox-Body technique
    Distracting Breeze Method
    Trackless Passage Style

Combos
    Flash of Fires: Falling Star Maneuver and Dragon-Graced Weapon
    Demari’s daiklave glows with the color of embers and in the blink of an eye he leaps behind his opponent before bringing his sword down in a brutal overhand swing.

Virtues:
    Compassion(●), Conviction(●●●), Temperance(●●), Valor(●●●)

Virtue Flaw:
    Conviction

Essence: ●●●●
    Willpower: ●●●●● ●
    Personal Essence: 13
    Peripheral Essence: 33 (12 committed)
    Health Levels:

Possessions
    Jade Daiklave(●●) [Heart’s Blaze]
    Jade Breastplate(●) [Crimson Scale]
    Jade Hearthstone Bracers(●●) [Ember Bindings]
    Jade Heartstone Amulet(●) [Hesiesh’s Eye]
    Gem of Safe Harvest(In Amulet)
    Opal of the Hunted(In Bracers)
    Jewel of the Flying Heart(In Daiklave)

Combat Info
    Join Battle: 8
    DDV: 10 [Dex(5)+Dodge(5)+essence(4)+Bracers(3)]/2=9+1(Flying Heart gemstone)
    PDV: 7 [Dex(5)+Daiklaves(7)+defence(2)]/2=7
    Hardness: 2L/2B
    Soak: 7L/6B/6A (6L/4B/6A armor soak, 1L/2B natural soak)
    Attacks
    Heart’s Blaze – Speed: 3(5 base, -1 from being jade, -1 from bracers)
    Accuracy: 15(Dex(5)+Daiklaves(7)+Accuracy(3))
    Damage: 10L
    Rate: 3
    Social Combat
    Join Debate: 8
    MDDV: 6 [Will(6)+Integrity(3)+Essence(4)]/2 = 6
    MPDV: 4 [Charisma(2)+Presence(3)+Intimidation(2)]/2 = 4

Bonus Points: 15 – Abilities(Stealthx2, Dodgex2, Meleex2, Presence) = 8 – specialties(Daiklaves, Moving Silently, Intimidation) = 5 – Backgrounds(Artifact, Manse, Resourcesx2, Connections) = 0

School Bonus: Larceny

Xp: 125
    Essencex2 - 50
    Charmsx5(Dragon-Graced Weapon, Refining the Inner Blade, Safety Among Enemies, Observer Awareness Method, Imposter’s Voice Technique) - 50
    Awareness(to 4) - 5
    Dodge(to 5) - 7
    Resistance(to 2) - 2
    Integrity(to 3) - 4
    socialize(to 3) - 3
    Combo(Flash of Fires) –4
    0xp banked.

Backgrounds
    Artifacts
    Heart’s Blaze
    Demari received his Daiklave as a gift from his house upon his graduation from the Palace of Untamed Storms to signify that he had regained his place as a respected member of the house. The hilt is forged of black jade while the double-sided blade is deep crimson, fading to bright red at the edge.

Hesiesh’s Eye
    This Jade amulet was a given to Demari by his mother when he joined the All-Seeing Eye. It is in the shape of a stylized dragon’s head, 3 inches across.

Ember Bindings and Crimson Scale were both taken from house Sesus’ vaults after Demari had proven himself an able agent of the All-Seeing Eye. The breastplate is rather ordinary, if skillfully crafted, red jade. The bracers on the other hand are anything but. Carved into the shape of two dragons, when worn it appears as though the wearer has a small dragon entwined around each forearm.

Breeding
    Sesus Demari is the great grandson of Sesus himself. Both of his parents are fire-aspected dragon-bloods, as is his older sister.

Backing-The All-Seeing Eye
    Demari is a skilled assassin for the All-Seeing Eye and works diligently to root out treason amongst the Dynast houses. While still relatively young, he has gained a reputation inside of the organization for being quite skilled.

Connections-House Sesus
    The house of his birth, Demari would do almost anything to help his house achieve its goals and the house elders know it.

Henchmen-Brukath Kusari
    A patrician born mortal and member of the All-Seeing Eye under Demari, kusari acts as something of a spy and facilitates many of Demari’s missions and desires. More given to using bribes and forgery than stealth and force, Kusari is quite skilled at learning incriminating facts and, if none are to be found, creating them.

Resources
    Demari is paid a decent house stipend as well as having access to funds from the All-Seeing Eye should he require them in the course of his missions.

Character Background
    Background: Sesus Demari is the great grandson of Sesus himself. As a child Demari was quite rebellious and his Exalting only made it worse. Believing a bit to strongly and literally in the Immaculate Philosophy he acted as though all non-exalted should obey his every whim. After being thrown out of several primary schools his parents shipped him off to the Palace of the Untamed Storm.

There he was taught the hard way that the world did not in fact exist to serve him and slowly he became a more upstanding member of the dragon-blooded host, though still a reverent follower of the Immaculate Texts. Upon graduating Demari joined the All-Seeing eye to put his newfound skills to use.

While he would never openly admit it the fact that he is a spy for the All-Seeing Eye has becoming something of an open secret that most Dynasts are well aware of. What is not well known is the fact that he is also one of the agencies assassins.

Demari is currently married to Cathak Fenosi, the result of a political alliance between the two houses. Fenosi is a magistrate of the Realm and is currently operating near Eagle’s Launch. The two currently have a three year-old daughter, Sesus Ellaili, whom is currently being raised in the Sesus family manse.

Personality: Demari is a staunch believer in the Immaculate Philosphy. He believes that the Realm must remain strong in these troubled times and that the dragon-blooded host must remain in control, Demari will act quickly to eliminate any perceived threat to the Realm’s stability.

Appearance: Demari stands at 5’ 11” and weighs approximately 180lbs. His shoulder length hair is light brown with tinges of red throughout which he generally wears loosely, pulling it back into a ponytail for formal occasions. As befitting a child of Hesiesh his eyes are a deep crimson color.

He wears his red jade breastplate over a pair of burgundy pants and short-sleeve tunic. His bracers are a deep carmine color and are crafted into the shape of two dragons. Heart’s Blaze rests across his back, sheathed in a leather scabbard engraved with images of soaring dragons.

If you'd like me to provide more information on his parents/siblings or background I can, but right now I'm gonna let my brain unwind and watch some BSG.

Also, can anyone see a reason why 'Dragon-Graced Weapon' and 'Falling Star Maneuver' couldn't be placed in a combo together? Anathema says they can't but I can't find any rules-reason for it.

Last Son on
    edited May 2008
    Anathema is wacky sometimes. Don't worry about it.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    How old should we be?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Okay, guys. I'm getting this all sorted out but as time draws on and I still fail to find a job I'm getting more and more cramped.

I'll try to get an OP up on Wednesday, Tuesday at the earliest, but it'll be up this week!

Still need to pick between our airs, too.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Last Son, you're missing your bracers in your dodge DV.

Thanatos on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Much as I really, really hate to do it, it'll probably be best to go with Leshan. I mean I can still make one post a day easily enough but as of next week I've got several deadlines to juggle and knowing my luck stuff'll either come up or be left till the last minute. Still, if you ever need an player-NPC for periods I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Paranoia833 on
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Ah, I was reading the specifics for each MM and missed the general bonus. Though what is a three-die bonus, since DV doesn't require a roll? Do I add 3 before dividing by 2?

Last Son on
    edited May 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Ah, I was reading the specifics for each MM and missed the general bonus. Though what is a three-die bonus, since DV doesn't require a roll? Do I add 3 before dividing by 2?
    Yup.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008

The Realm is matrilineal, since all the founders of the Great Houses are direct descendants of the Scarlet Empress.

So children take their mother's House name, unless the inter-house marriage contract has something in it that explicitly contradicts this.
    This isn't uncommon in this day and age, though. A lot of marriages hand off the second child and potentially others to the father's House.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »

The Realm is matrilineal, since all the founders of the Great Houses are direct descendants of the Scarlet Empress.

So children take their mother's House name, unless the inter-house marriage contract has something in it that explicitly contradicts this.
    This isn't uncommon in this day and age, though. A lot of marriages hand off the second child and potentially others to the father's House.

Oh man, my father could have lived had I known this. Curse this cruel world!

Cynic Jester on
    edited May 2008
    Instead of having some sort of Air elemental bound to me, I think a Jokun (Roll of Glorious Divinity, pg. 106) serving as a bodyguard would be nice. Ledaal Kasai would prefer to have come to some equatible arrangement with it rather then dominating its mind; so whenever it wants it can end the service and return to its home. Ledaal Kasai prefers this method as he sees the binding of Elementals as a process that runs counter to his Manse teachings. Trying to bully the Essence in an area into what you want rather then working with the land usually results in disaster; so too with Elementals.

Leshan on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I thought that was only in cases where both/neither parent was exalted? In marriages where only one parent is dragon-blooded custody always lies with the Exalt, at least that's how I vaguely remember it.

Paranoia833 on
    edited May 2008
    Alright, since everyone has been biting their nails over who's going to be in the game, and I've finally broken free of that really busy LOTR Phalla, here's the cast list.

Leshan, as Ledaal Kasai, The Sapphire Storm
    INNS, as Ragara Adina, Polished Jade
    Cynic Jester as Mnemon Duriel, Smoldering Eye
    Thanatos as Iselsi Leovin, Death Flies From the Shadows
    Arcanis, as V'neef Celia, Toxic Thorn

Apologies to Last Son and Paranoia, your characters were both pretty cool and will almost certainly make appearances if you're up to guest-starring.

I'm going to send out a couple of PMs, and then we can get started with a big post and stuff.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Yaaay! Thanks Rainfall! Sorry to those who didn't get in.

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Alright, since everyone has been biting their nails over who's going to be in the game, and I've finally broken free of that really busy LOTR Phalla, here's the cast list.

Leshan, as Ledaal Kasai, The Sapphire Storm
    INNS, as Ragara Adina, Polished Jade
    Cynic Jester as Mnemon Duriel, Smoldering Eye
    Thanatos as Iselsi Leovin, Death Flies From the Shadows
    Arcanis, as V'neef Celia, Toxic Thorn

Apologies to Last Son and Paranoia, your characters were both pretty cool and will almost certainly make appearances if you're up to guest-starring.

I'm going to send out a couple of PMs, and then we can get started with a big post and stuff.

Reposted because bottom of the page. :/

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Since everyone else posted their characters, I'll just count on you all not to meta. I should warn you that my background info is ridiculously long:

Name: Iselsei Leovin
    A.K.A.: Ragera Martal
    Sobriquets: Death Flies from the Shadows
    Aspect: Water
    Motivation: To see a strong Emperor placed on the throne who can restore House Iselsi along with the All-Seeing Eye, and rebuild the Realm.
    Intimacies: House Iselsi, the Realm, the All-Seeing Eye

Mechanics:
    Attributes:

Strength 2
    Dex 5
    Stamina 3

Charisma 2
    Manipulation 5
    Appearance 4 (5)

Perception 4
    Intelligence 2
    Wits 3

Abilities:

*Linguistics 3
    High Realm, Low Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak
    Lore 2
    *Stealth 5
    Thrown 2

Awareness 3
    *Integrity 5
    Resistance 2
    War 1

Athletics 3
    Melee 1
    Presence 1
    Socialize 2

*Bureaucracy 3
    The Blessed Isle 2
    *Investigation 4
    *Larceny 5
    *Martial Arts 5

Archery 1
    Performance 1
    Ride 1

Charms:

First Integrity Excellence (DB, Integrity)
    Oath of the Ten Thousand Dragons: The All-Seeing Eye (DB, Integrity)
    Observer Awareness Method (DB, Larceny)
    Trackless Walk Style (DB, Larceny)

Night Breeze Style charms (Scroll of the Monk, page 55):

Crosswind Offense
    Shepherd the Leaf
    Leaf on the Breeze Rhythm
    Night Breeze Form
    Katabatic Leap Defense
    Thousand-Hailstone Morning
    Wind Needle Training

Backgrounds:

Artifact 2
    (Jade Hearthstone Bracers, Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light, Sling of Deadly Prowess)
    Artifact 2
    (Climbing Sword, Mask)
    Manse 4
    (Seven Leaping Dragon Stone, Windhands Gemstone, Oathstone)
    Manse 3
    (Gem of Forgetfulness, The Monkey Stone, Jewel of the Clever Merchant)
    Breeding 3
    Backing (The All-Seeing Eye) 4
    Resources 3

Virtues:

Compassion 1
    Conviction 5
    Temperance 3
    Valor 2

Willpower 8
    Permanent Essence 3
    Personal Essence 14
    Peripheral Essence 33 (16 committed)

Dodge DV 6
    Parry DV 8
    Dodge MDV 8 (+2 when answering questions re: personal motives, +5 vs. attempts against All-Seeing Eye)
    Parry MDV 6 (+2 when answering questions re: personal motives, +5 vs. attempts against All-Seeing Eye)

Artifacts & Hearthstones:

Mask (oo, E2: Allows the user to make their face look like whatever they want. +4 dice to disguise and hiding motives; 5 motes to attune)

Jade Hearthstone Bracers (oo, E2: +3 dice to dodge, -1 speed to all attacks, 1 hearthstone setting, 4 motes to attune)

Jade Climbing Daiklaive (oo, Custom: Speed 4, Accuracy +1, Damage +3L, Defense +5, Rate 3, adds +2 dice to all athletics checks for climbing, swinging, or grabbing in which the sword is involved, has 2 hearthstone settings; 3 motes to attune)

Sling of Deadly Prowess (o, E2: Speed 4, Accuracy +1, Damage +4L, Rate 2, Range 200; 3 motes to attune)

Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light (o, E2: Maintains the wearer's perpetual cleanliness, +2 stamina/resistance checks vs. poisons & diseases, one hearthstone slot; 1 mote to attune)

Seven Leaping Dragon Stone (oooo, E2: +4 dice to any Martial Arts attack roll) Set in Hearthstone Bracers.

Wind Hands Gemstone (ooo, E2: allows the character to parry ranged attacks, eliminates all defense & onslaught penalties for ranged attacks). Set in Climbing Sword.

Gem of Forgetting (ooo, OC: Everyone forgets about the bearer. Difficulty 3 Wits + Awareness roll to remember him, lower over time/with repeated contact). Set in Climbing Sword.

The Monkey Stone (oo, E2: -2 to difficulty of all athletics checks related to climbing/jumping; doubles jumping distance and climbing speed). Set in Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light.

Jewel of the Clever Merchant (o, OC: +3 dice to all Mental/Social rolls involving trade, bargaining, contract negotiations, and other business dealings). Set in Climbing Sword instead of Gem of Forgetfulness during dayjob.

Oathstone (o, OC: Used to seal oath exactly like Eclipse anima power at one essence between one person and bearer).

Points Spent:

Bonus points:

Larceny 3 -> 5 (2)
    Stealth 2 -> 5 (3)
    Integrity 3 -> 5 (2)
    Martial Arts 3 -> 5 (2)
    Conviction 3 -> 5 (6)

Experience Points:

Permanent Essence 2 -> 3 (20)
    Strength 1 -> 2 (4)
    Charisma 1 -> 2 (4)
    Intellignce 1 -> 2 (4)
    Wits 2 -> 3 (8)
    Artifact 0 -> 2 (4)
    Artifact 0 -> 2 (4)
    Manse 3 -> 4 (6)
    Manse 0 -> 3 (8)
    Backing 3 -> 4 (6)
    Investigation 0 -> 4 (12)
    Resistance 0 -> 2 (5)
    4 Class/Favored Charms (40)

Backstory:
    Leovin was born into one of the few remaining Iselsi households living in the Threshold. Showing very little aptitude for anything as a child, the family used their considerable resources to bribe him into a slot at the Spiral Tower, under an assumed name (Ragera Martal), so as to avoid the baggage carried by the Iselsi name.

Shortly after his eleventh birthday, "Martal" Exalted. He was ecstatic, and redoubled his efforts with his studies, thinking that things would come much easier to him now that he had taken his Second Breath. While he didn't get any better at the things he was learning there, another member of his house got in touch with him a few weeks later, and started giving him a few "extra-curricular" lessons.

As it turned out, Leovin took to being a spy and a thief like a fish to water. He was educated in the forms of the Night Breeze style, taught breaking and entering, sneaking around, and, of course, how not to get caught.

When he was 14, about three years after his real training had begun, Leovin discovered some money missing from his personal belongings. Suspecting that he had been robbed, he made a point of watching his and his roommates' belongings in what little spare time he had, for weeks. Eventually, the thief returned, and Leovin tracked the thief (a fellow, older student) down. It took him several weeks before he had the opportunity for revenge, but when it presented itself, he didn't hesitate to take it, poisoning her before a dangerous teaching session, resulting in her death in an "unfortunate training accident." Among her things was a jade collar, which he took for himself, thinking it to be a souvenir.

Believing himself to have gotten away with murder, Leovin was surprised to find a note with the symbol of an eye under his pillow that night. Stashing it away, he told no one, spending hours upon hours at the library, trying to find out if it was someone's sigil, who could possibly know of his crime, and was ready to preemptively go after the mysterious threat. Fortunately for him, it was an agent of the All-Seeing Eye who had been watching him, and who had come to recruit him.

Thus, did Leovin Iselsi become one of the youngest members of the All-Seeing Eye ever recruited. Following graduation from the Spiral Tower, Leovin accepted a couple of gifts from his House in secret, including his sword and a significant amount of starter money, and has spoken to them only in a capacity as an agent of the All-Seeing Eye since then.

In the intervening years, the All-Seeing Eye has fallen far, especially with the recent disappearance of the Empress. Thinking him too much of an idealist, some of Leovin's superiors attempted to sacrifice him a few times, in theory to benefit the All-Seeing Eye; all of those missions, however, were successfully completed. Leovin himself has been promoted over some of those former superiors, and hasn't hesitated to send some of them on suicide missions; most haven't returned. Highly capable, within the All-Seeing eye, Leovin has a reputation for being ruthless and unforgiving.

During the day, Leovin works for the Thousand Scales, doing most of his work for the All-Seeing Eye at night (beyond merely keeping an eye out where he is). He has managed to keep himself largely unremarkable up until recently, carefully maintaining just enough accomplishment to be below notice, without doing so little as to be worthy of scorn. With the Empress' disappearance, and the slow erosion of the All-Seeing Eye, Leovin has taken it upon himself to save the Realm (and the Eye), and, after laying low for many years, has begun putting himself onto the social and political scenes, looking for a new Emperor or Empress to offer his services to; he firmly believes that the Realm will crumble, left to the Regent and the machinations of the Deliberative. His current favorite is the Roseblack, but he is most certainly be open to another, stronger candidate coming around.

Artifacts/Hearthstones:
    Many of the artifacts and hearthstones Leovin possesses have been stolen from his targets, while others were gifts or rewards:

Jade Climbing Daiklave: looking like a normal hook daiklave, the sword is, in reality, a better tool or parrying blade than it is an offensive weapon. The handle can shift 90 degrees relative to the blade, allowing the wielder to hang off of it, or use it for scaling walls or swinging off chandeliers. This was a gift from House Iselsi for Leovin upon his graduation.

The Monkey Stone: This was given to Leovin along with the Climbing Daiklave for his graduation.

Collar of Dawn's Cleansing Light: A very average-looking necklace, there are a million of them worn by any number of Dynasts on the Blessed Isle, but one of the few things that Leovin is nostalgic about, since he took it from his first kill.

Jewel of the Clever Merchant: One of Leovin's first missions from the All-Seeing Eye, this gem was taken from an accountant who, had been stealing far too much from the Imperial Treasuries in order to feed a gambling habit. Even without the stone, he was highly skilled, so by the time he was caught, he had stolen a tremendous amount. His death was not quick, but the stone has turned Leovin from a fairly mediocre businessman into a highly-skilled, if none too bright businessmen, which is exactly where he wants to be.

Mask: This particular Mask was used by a very high-ranking patrician (high-ranking enough to have been Awakened) to sneak into various low-ranking bureaucrats' homes, and rape their wives. Leovin stumbled across the perpetrator largely by luck, on one of his midnight sprints across the rooftops. Having heard of him, he followed him home, and made sure it was clear why he was discovered dead in the morning.

Jade Hearthstone Bracers: Given to many officers of the All-Seeing Eye, and Leovin is no exception.

Wind Hands Gemstone: Leovin was allowed to attune to this hearthstone after a particularly successful, thought-to-be suicide mission. His superiors were hoping it would placate him, and earn his forgiveness.

Sling of Deadly Prowess: One of the "Lost Eggs" working in the underground on the Blessed Isle thought to use this to finish off Leovin on the way to a mission one night.

Seven Leaping Dragon Stone: This stone was in the possession of a former Immaculate who had fallen on hard times, and was planning to move to Lookshy, to teach Celestial Martial Arts to the Shogunate. After a long, hard-fought battle, the Immaculate offered up the location of the manse in exchange for a quick death (he was the only one who knew where it was, and the only one attuned to it). Leovin, always a pragmatist, accepted.

Gem of Forgetting: Leovin's most recent acquisition was found in one of the city's many waterways, on the body of one of his former superiors. He decided to hang on to it.

Oathstone: Leovin was given this stone upon receiving his most recent promotion within the All-Seeing Eye.

And yes, I did totally say that throwing was useless, then made a character that uses throwing. I hadn't read that martial art before, and it looks somewhat viable; we'll see if I end up dead or not. :P

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    So, before I mention it in the IC thread, I want to ask you Arcanis: did our characters serve in the military together? Just want to make sure before I go posting away about it.

Leshan on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    maybe, maybe not

if they did I doubt they were friends, your character's hobbies don't overlap with Thorn's at all

Super Namicchi on
    edited May 2008
    And let's roll!

People of note in the room that aren't our players:

Lady V'neef, leader of House V'neef, daughter of the Scarlet Empress.
    Cathak Miela, a young woman from the Heptagram with a strange aptitude for Necromancy.
    Cathak Hiassa, an experienced general from the Haslanti wars, on leave from the legions.
    Ledaal Ormose, a Senator and skilled politician. She's known to have connections with the Guild.
    Ledaal Serai, a teacher at the Heptagram, and a skilled sorceror.
    Peleps Surien, a curious fellow who has had a few run-ins with the Immaculate Order
    Ragara Nemens, member of the Greater Deliberative, married to a member of House Tepet(not present)
    Sesus Aimaw, a general with his Legion stationed on the Blessed Isle. Rumor has it he's being shipped out to the west.
    House Tepet is curiously unrepresented.
    And there's a few members of house V'neef running around. Everyone else is relatively unremarkable.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    What are "Antitheses?" Is it a group of heretics or something?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    maybe, maybe not

if they did I doubt they were friends, your character's hobbies don't overlap with Thorn's at all

Oh sure. They probably just encountered each other infrequently; mostly just before a big battle when Ledaal Kasai was getting ready to summon an elemental. Acquaintances at best. However your character generally views sorcerers is probably how she'd view mine. Maybe with a tiny bit more respect because they served together?

Sound okay? Or would you rather they be strangers to each other? Either way works.

Leshan on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't think they actively served together

celia probably just knows who you are because V'neef said you were important for whatever reason

Super Namicchi on
    edited May 2008
    What are "Antitheses?" Is it a group of heretics or something?

The Antitheses are basically the creed of a heresy that opposes the Immaculate Philosophy. It's not something to get mixed up in if you like not getting whacked by the Immaculates/anyone that finds out.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Alright, waiting on Salty's post and then I'll start posting more. I just want to make sure everyone is around.

Rainfall on