As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something in my PC's dying. - Card's fan broke

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
It's either my hard drive or my video card. Most likely my video card. It's an old GeForce 6600GT 128mb card from '05.

See, as of a couple months ago, I found that my computer would slow down and eventually reset itself whenever I'd use some sort of graphics-intensive application, AKA most of my games. It might be my hard drive- it's pretty old too, but I haven't run into this problem outside of attempted gaming.

Pretty damn certain it's the card. What do you guys think? I'd love to overhaul my computer and get a PCI-express motherboard, but that's monetarily out of the reach at the moment, so I'm probably just going to settle for the best AGP card I can get in the meantime if this does turn out to be the case.

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is your video card's fan running? If the fan is broken, you should install a new one.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think it is. I'd have to check.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it's never been cleaned it might just be too dusty. I think if you download the latest drivers from nVidia, there should be a way to monitor the temperature in the control panel.

Rook on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *enter the computer surgeon*

Okay various things can be done:

1) Clean all the dust out (don't use a hoover, just a cloth will do)
    2) Check your connections, don't be afraid to pull it out and resit it
    3) Download Speedfan (google it). Its not good for PSU voltages but great for temperature. You can change your fan speed on it too incase your not getting enough cooling.
    4) Do something intensive on your hard drive, like moving alot of files and listen to it. If you can hear it clicking or whining or failing to spin up. The hard drive is the problem
    5) I've had this problem too and suprisingly found it to be a driver problem, get the latest one's
    6) Re-sit your ram, don't swap the memory around but just take it out and put it back in again.

If your using a motherboard with AGP still and running newer games could be a problem. Since alot of games assume PCI-E graphics now so maybe the latest drivers would be a bad thing and rolling back might be better.
    It's hard to pinpoint errors like this without systematically replacing every part of your computer to see which bit is failing.

If you have a friend with AGP try asking him to swap graphics cards, if it still crashes, that aint the problem.

Hope i helped.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »
    *enter the computer surgeon*

Okay various things can be done:

1) Clean all the dust out (don't use a hoover, just a cloth will do)
    A static-free cloth, that is. I think a coffee filter would work...

If not, use a can of compressed air, eh?

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drivers shouldn't be a problem- I updated them back in December and went through the first few
    months without problems. Gonna check out Speedfan next.

Can't make heads or tales of speedfan, but apparently only HD01 is a checkmark in terms of temperatures. It detects 3 fans, 1 of which is working. O_o

-EDIT! I figured out the problem. The video card's fan is completely broken. It would cost too much to replace the heat sink/fan AND the card's probably damaged at this point. Might as well get me a new one.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg