As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yakuza 2 Coming to the US

PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again!Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Yakuza-sega.jpg

In 2005, Sega released a game called Yakuza for the PS2. Considered to be the spiritual sequel to the Shenmue series, it followed the story of Kazuma, a top Yakuza soldier who took the fall for a crime he didn't commit, and ten years later walked out of jail into more trouble. I picked it up on the cheap a few months ago and really enjoyed it. The voice acting was really good (Mark Hamill and Michael Madsen are among those that lent voice talent), and the gameplay was lots of fun. It really reminded me of Shenmue. A sequel was released in Japan a year later. I was disappointed that it wasn't released here, but lo and behold I was on Gametrailers just now and saw the US debut trailer of Yakuza 2:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34165.html

I'm really excited. This is pretty much the next best thing to another Shenmue game, and the fact that it's coming out on PS2 is an added bonus. Between this and Persona 4, I'm keeping my PS2 around for a long while.

Steam ID:
steam_sig.png
The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
PunkBoy on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I heard about a sequel and I didn't think we were going to see it. Looking forward to it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hahaha, I liked the little bit of The Departed at the end of that trailer there.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I keep thinking of g12629608kp.jpg whenever I hear about this game for some reason.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I loved the first game. It was flawed, sure, but in general it was a gem that was overlooked by most.

muninn on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope they added a bit more depth to the fighting system. It got a little repetitive, but doing the various finishers never got old.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't Yakuza 2 like a thousand times better then the first one?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wasn't Yakuza 2 like a thousand times better then the first one?

If so, then I can't wait for it. The first one was pretty great.

dead souls on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SOMEONE LIGHT THE MORDRACK SIGNAL!

... anyone got a light bulb for this 8mm projector?

Hm, this looks cool, I thought it was the one set in samurai times. I guess that's part 3.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Hm, this looks cool, I thought it was the one set in samurai times. I guess that's part 3.

Yeah that one is part 3. You fight a bear in this one I think.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If I can dropkick a bear, than this game will be awesome.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    If I can dropkick a bear, than this game will be awesome.
    I think you can punch tigers in this one if I'm not mistaken.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude, yes. Is it coming to Europe too? I really liked the first one, though the combat system could definitely have used a few more moves. Apart from the endgame mess (let's put 90% of the game's plot in the last 3 hours of the game!), it was really enjoyable.

Noray on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    First one was way too easy and overly repetitive, sure. It was also extraordinarily atmospheric and pretty emotive given how daft it got in places. I'll be sticking a preorder down for the sequel - all the impressions I've read seem to indicate it's more of the same only better, which is fine by me.

The movie's excellent, too. Cheap and cheerful, but a ton of fun - easily the best videogame-to-film adaptation ever made (actual best, not MST3K "best"). Highly recommended to anyone with even a passing interest in Asian action cinema.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I can't be the only person that spent time running into people to knock them off balance.

I wonder if they brought back the dating and massage minigames in this one.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The crowds were brilliant, even if they were completely random and very low-poly. I'm a sucker for big crowds in games and there was just a... realism? Naturalistic quality? A certain something to everything in the background that really, really impressed me, for all it was obviously Just A Videogame. It almost managed to be as immersive as GTA IV every now and then.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Definitely agree. I wasn't that immersed in a world since...well...Shenmue II.

Playing Yakuza really made me want another Shenmue...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I loved the Shenmue Series, consider both of these a buy for me.

is there a place with more info on the game? the wiki is kind of scarce

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    is there a place with more info on the game? the wiki is kind of scarce

you get to punch tigers and bears

What more do you need?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, info for the game is scarce.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png