As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a Handheld

ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
So, I'm in the market for a handheld. An hour commute every day and night is getting a bit dull.

It's just that looking at the lineups of the PSP and DS, I can't really see anything I like. My favourite 5 games:

Halo
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
WipEout 3 Special Edition
Either Portal or Mario^64

And really nothing good in these genres (other than ports :) ) are covered. Am I missing something?

Which one should I pick? Or should I stick with my (haxxored) iPhone and Tetris?

ben0207 on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmmm. Tough to say. No matter what I think a handheld will be a journey of discovery for you, not one of familiarity. :)

If you're willing to give turn-based strategy/strategy RPGs a try, the DS is a good choice. You can also get the aforementioned ports of good platformers, and Mario Kart DS may interest you as a racer.

As for the PSP, others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has games that significantly appeal to your interests, which means you'd be paying extra for no less gamble. And since you have an iPhone, you're not gonna give a shit about its music or video capabilities.

admanb on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    or you could just get a GBA SP for less money and have a larger library of games. This library includes plenty of Mario and Sonic games which are 2 of the games on your list.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If he gets a DS, he can still play GBA games, and have access to DS games. So a DS is well worth the money.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    But is there anything like what I like on the DS? I've already played plenty of MKDS on my friends, and also previous versions.

And I've never been into TBSs.

Or, do I wait until maybe some games get announced for iPhone in June?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude, you like Wipeout, there are TWO excellant wipe outs on the PSP.

As for Sonic 3 and knuckles, Aren't we ALL still waiting for a good sonic game, regaurdless of system?

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looks like you enjoy a wide variety of games: 2d and 3d platformers, FPSs, arcade racing, RTSs.

If you enjoy that much of a variety, do you think you would try out some different things and end up ejoying them as well? Or do you see yourself as only wanting more of what you already like?

I ask because the DS has quite a bit out of those genres but also a lot of strange and interesting stuff that is harder to classify. Kirby's Canvas Curse is a good example of a proof-of-concept game that is unlike anything else out there. The DS Castlevanias are especially fantastic platformers.

The PSP, on the other hand, can give you more of what you already like. It's basically a portable PS2.

Neither system has much in the way of RTSs. The PSP for obvious reasons, but even the DS has next to nothing. Your choices on that front are basically LostMagic and the more recent Final Fantasy Revenant Wings.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The DS Castlevanias are especially fantastic platformers.

Hold it. As platformers the DS Castlevanias are awful. They're far better as aRPGs.

Neither system has much in the way of RTSs. The PSP for obvious reasons, but even the DS has next to nothing. Your choices on that front are basically LostMagic and the more recent Final Fantasy Revenant Wings.

Well, there's Knights in the Nightmare (DS), which, going by ST!NG's previous handheld efforts, is destined to be convoluted as all hell and still awesome.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Basically it boils down to: Should I buy a PSP for essentially two (very similar) games, or is there enough on the DS to twist my mind?

And how easy is homebrew on each of them? I've no use for media players etc, but homebrew stuff can be fun.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The PSP homebrew scene is more prominent, but there's some decent stuff in the DS pile too.

The DS is really a wonderful fusion of the best of classic gaming concepts (Etrian Odyssey, NSMB, Sonic Rush) along with new, innovative gaming (EBA, The World Ends With You, Kirby Canvas Curse).

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, I think you could by ether and be perfectly happy. Both systems have great games and a wide range of game types. I have both and I wouldn't give ether one up. The types of games you listed are available on both systems.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Basically it boils down to: Should I buy a PSP for essentially two (very similar) games, or is there enough on the DS to twist my mind?

And how easy is homebrew on each of them? I've no use for media players etc, but homebrew stuff can be fun.

Just make a list of all the DS games and PSP games. Which ever has a longer list, pick that one. Myself? eventually I will be buying a PSP for echochrome and a few others.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buy a Game Boy Micro, I'm sure you can find a new one clearanced somewhere or a cheap used one. Bright screen, the thing is tiny as hell so it's never a burden to carry it with you, and you have the whole GBA library to play through. A bunch of platformers and other great games, all of which can be had for relatively cheap. Great battery life too. If you want homebrew, there are GBA carts that accept SD/CF memory cards. Again, I know PSP and DS have all this stuff, but I'm thinking about size and ease of portability here. Though if the OP doesn't care about these, my advice is less valuable.

Yes, a DS has access to the same library, but it's a more expensive system and a bulkier unit. If you aren't so sure about whether you'll play the portable system enough, a cheap GBA won't be too much of an issue if you end up not liking the games.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Yes, a DS has access to the same library, but it's a more expensive system and a bulkier unit. If you aren't so sure about whether you'll play the portable system enough, a cheap GBA won't be too much of an issue if you end up not liking the games.

Yes, it would cost more, but it's worth it. And the DS Lite isn't bulky at all. It's just right for my small hands (I have small hands because I'm a girl)

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yes, it would cost more, but it's worth it. And the DS Lite isn't bulky at all. It's just right for my small hands (I have small hands because I'm a girl)

:lol: haha that sounded pretty weird... defending the size of your hands BECAUSE you're a girl. I thought it was more of a thing you could expect from a boy.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't think there's any way you couldn't find 25 games you really like on the DS. It is far and away the best system of this "generation", with great games in pretty much every reasonable handheld genre.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Buy a Game Boy Micro, I'm sure you can find a new one clearanced somewhere or a cheap used one. Bright screen, the thing is tiny as hell so it's never a burden to carry it with you, and you have the whole GBA library to play through. A bunch of platformers and other great games, all of which can be had for relatively cheap. Great battery life too. If you want homebrew, there are GBA carts that accept SD/CF memory cards. Again, I know PSP and DS have all this stuff, but I'm thinking about size and ease of portability here. Though if the OP doesn't care about these, my advice is less valuable.

Actually portability is a huge factor for me. I'm just pricing up a bit of a spree on Amazon now.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, checking the GBA game lists reveals nothing that I'd either want to play or haven't already played to death somewhere better (in front of a SNES, for the most part)

Am I really going to buy a PSP for two games?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    HazukiSanHazukiSan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, checking the GBA game lists reveals nothing that I'd either want to play or haven't already played to death somewhere better (in front of a SNES, for the most part)

Am I really going to buy a PSP for two games?

Well if it's value the DS undoubtedly has more of a chance of more games you'll like, and if you do happen to see a few GBA games you want they'd be playable. Homebrew is tricky on it compared to the PSP but the sheer volume of games makes up for it.

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Racers on the PSP will have better graphics and benefit from the large screen (DS racers traditionally use the extra screen for a minimap). On the other hand, Metroid Prime: Hunters is probably the only handheld FPS you'll see any time soon.

I agree with everyone that the DS is a great choice and will introduce you to lots of weird fun games. I personally think that everyone should play EBA or Ouendan. ;) But the PSP has a solid selection, too. Look again at a list of games; if nothing appeals to you, then NO, don't buy a handheld, silly. Stick with Tetris -- or see if you can buy a GBA SP/Micro for really cheap.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The PSP WipeOuts are fantastic and almost worth buying the system for alone. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are some good platformers on the system like Loco Roco, Ratchet & Clank, the Castlevania collection, and the Sega Genesis Collection (Sonic 1&2, Ristar, Vectorman 1 & 2, and more). And if you like Tetris (you mentioned it in the OP), the Lumines games are fantastic, my favorite puzzle games ever.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The PSP WipeOuts are fantastic and almost worth buying the system for alone. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are some good platformers on the system like Loco Roco, Ratchet & Clank, the Castlevania collection, and the Sega Genesis Collection (Sonic 1&2, Ristar, Vectorman 1 & 2, and more). And if you like Tetris (you mentioned it in the OP), the Lumines games are fantastic, my favorite puzzle games ever.

I have Lumines for XBLA, but it looks a PSP is in order.

What other gems do you peeps recommend? And is Sony games hardware as flaky as their computer stuff?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles

People speak highly of the sonic rush games.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles

People speak highly of the sonic rush games.

The platforming's not too bad but the storyline makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty plastic spoon.

freakish light on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I'm in the market for a handheld. An hour commute every day and night is getting a bit dull.

It's just that looking at the lineups of the PSP and DS, I can't really see anything I like. My favourite 5 games:

Halo
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
    WipEout 3 Special Edition
    Either Portal or Mario^64

And really nothing good in these genres (other than ports :) ) are covered. Am I missing something?

Which one should I pick? Or should I stick with my (haxxored) iPhone and Tetris?

As noted, the DS can play GBA games, so it's got that going for its value.

There is a DS version of Super Mario 64, but provided you can adapt to the controls, it's actually superior to the original. New Super Mario Bros. and Super Princess Peach are also good additions to the Marioverse.

Halo... Metroid Prime Hunters, maybe?

Sonic Rush Adventure is pretty solid. I didn't care for the first Rush so much, but some people stand by it.

For racing... tough call, you said you've played Mario Kart DS to death... maybe Diddy Kong Racing would be of interest?

You mention Tetris, and if you can find it, Tetris DS is good.

I could name plenty of other games I have for the DS as well, though I don't know how interested you'd be.

As for PSP, it's a good system with good games, just not nearly as many. I have Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up, both of which can be found for about 20 or less; Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, Lumines, and X-Men Legends 2.

Haven't played these, but Secret Agent Clank looks neat, and there are the two Sonic Rivals games on there. Also, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters; those might appeal to your SM64 affinity.

Can't think of much else offhand (at least not without consulting a list and saying "maybe this"), though I think they have a version or two of Wipeout...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Sonic Rush series seems to be pretty good on DS.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

It's alright, a bit hit and miss. I can't really play it in public because a few sections are pure trial and error prompting utter frustration factor.

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, how are the followig games? (and are these good prices?)

WipEout Pure

Crazy Taxi

Sega Collection

Patapon

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

WipEou Pulse

Loco Roco

Tekken DR

Disgaeaeaea

Final Fantasy Tactics

Daxter

Ratchet & Clank

Sonic Rivals

These were the ones that illicited any interest at all in me. I skipped the PS2, so most are PS2 ports.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That post took me ages!
    Oh, and also:

Is this what I want for craxxoring this motherfucker?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, how are the followig games? (and are these good prices?)

WipEout Pure

Crazy Taxi

Sega Collection

Patapon

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

WipEou Pulse

Loco Roco

Tekken DR

Disgaeaeaea

Final Fantasy Tactics

Daxter

Ratchet & Clank

Sonic Rivals

These were the ones that illicited any interest at all in me. I skipped the PS2, so most are PS2 ports.
    I hear WipEout for the PSP is like sex in 16:9, so yeah, it's probably pretty good.

Patapon, though I haven't played it, looks awesome, nifty, and fun as hell all at the same time

I bought Disgaea two or three days ago, and I love it, so I'll vouch for that one. I'll vouch for it personally.

It's not on your list, but Vice City Stories is great if you're into GTA.

As someone who owns both a DS and a PSP (PSP purchase was very recent), I'm thinking the PSP is really the superior system even though I've had boatloads of fun with my DS and probably won't stop using it (admittedly, I haven't touched it in a while--waiting for Bangai-O Spirits in English), but in general, I'm planning to spend a substantially larger sum of money on PSP games in the future than DS games.

RE: Your original post,
    Go with a PSP.

Senshi on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HazukiSan wrote: »

It's alright, a bit hit and miss. I can't really play it in public because a few sections are pure trial and error prompting utter frustration factor.

I hate games which do that.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can't go wrong with either system. Both the GBA and DS are outstanding.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want to pick up a PSP just for echochrome. That is really impressive in its own right.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Disgaea is a really good port, but be warned that it's not much more than a port (although there is a little extra content in the form of the Etna mode) so if you've burned out on the PS2 version, you may want to skip it. If you haven't burned out on the PS2 version or haven't played the PS2 version, you'll definitely want to pick it up if you have any interest in Strategy/RPGs.

FFT doesn't have as good a port (frequent load times can be annoying), but the translation is substantially better and they threw in some really cool and arts cutscenes so it's worth replaying if you liked the original version.

If you like Strategy/RPGs (and from your asking about Disgaea and FFT, it sounds like you do), I've heard nothing but good about Jeanne D'arc.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Disgaea is a really good port, but be warned that it's not much more than a port (although there is a little extra content in the form of the Etna mode) so if you've burned out on the PS2 version, you may want to skip it. If you haven't burned out on the PS2 version or haven't played the PS2 version, you'll definitely want to pick it up if you have any interest in Strategy/RPGs.

FFT doesn't have as good a port (frequent load times can be annoying), but the translation is substantially better and they threw in some really cool and arts cutscenes so it's worth replaying if you liked the original version.

If you like Strategy/RPGs (and from your asking about Disgaea and FFT, it sounds like you do), I've heard nothing but good about Jeanne D'arc.

I was mostly asking because I love Advance Wars, and X-Com, and thse seem to be in a similar-ish vein.

I'm now just twisting my GFs arm to let me spend like 200 quid on PSP stuff, when I want to buy a new Macbook Pro next month :)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I was mostly asking because I love Advance Wars, and X-Com, and thse seem to be in a similar-ish vein.

I'm now just twisting my GFs arm to let me spend like 200 quid on PSP stuff, when I want to buy a new Macbook Pro next month :)

If you love Advance Wars then isn't the two DS offerings tempting you?

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's a couple more SRPGs in the vein of Advance Wars, too: that Prince of Persia game and FFTA for GBA (though Sealed Grimoire for DS is undergoing localization) off the top of my head, there's probably more but I can't think of them.

freakish light on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's your money amirite

don't need no approval from some wumminz

Senshi on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played my PSP for the first time in years to play patapon

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That price for Valkyrie Profile Lenneth seems good. The only copy I saw in a store was going for 50 euroes (it was euroes since we use that currency here in Ireland)

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just got a DS. Now I just need to get some games for it.

Rhan9 on