As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Estiah], Or how to play a mmorpg at work

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do the stat points needed for a level ever increase? I'm starting to realize I might need to slow my roll on taking jobs/classes just for the skill points that come with them if I'm worried about hitting level 20 and being unable to class into the job I want.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FreyajackFreyajack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Do the stat points needed for a level ever increase? I'm starting to realize I might need to slow my roll on taking jobs/classes just for the skill points that come with them if I'm worried about hitting level 20 and being unable to class into the job I want.

They do - you can check the wiki to see the exact amounts.

I don't think it is the end of the world to not be able to take your class right away. For what it is worth I probably won't hit my T1 class until I'm level 24, although I'm planning on hitting T2 and T3 right at 30 and 40.

If you don't want to "slow your roll", you can just instead take the jobs/classes that will give you the stats you need for your T1 class. Again, check the ever-useful wiki.

Freyajack on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My level 42 Paladin is still sitting there collecting dust. I sort of stopped playing when my unit in the Waffles went all to hell.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can my alt Umarth get in on the guild? I'm trying him out to see if I'll have the patience to work 0 jobs and only level from skills.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't see why not. Just ask in the guild shoutbox since you're in the guild now. :)

Freyajack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    We're still only at 73/118 capacity if more people want to join us. We have a generation of new folks all leveling up together, so you'll have company. :)

Freyajack on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Allright, gonna give this thing a try... And the referall goes to... Why not, the person talking guild stuffs. :P

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think I need to steal Freyajack's sig. No one has used mine, lol.

Edit: Apparently I did need to change it, it works now.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do I get anything out of the Mentoring deal, out of curiosity?

Teyar on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Do I get anything out of the Mentoring deal, out of curiosity?

Someone to be happy for you when you get levels, that you can hit up with questions, linked from your character page.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Darian has made sure to supply me with random advice in order to make me feel like he's earning those extra hit points. :P It's been pretty solid.

Advice point number 1:

Max out cheat death, spirituality and cheat death before you hit level 9. Please, dear god. The level 5 goblin is so, so, so, so, so, so much easier to do that with than anything else in the game. I maxed out spirituality and cheat death and thought I was good, but man I wish I could go back and knock out survival as well.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Darian has made sure to supply me with random advice in order to make me feel like he's earning those extra hit points. :P It's been pretty solid.

Advice point number 1:

Max out cheat death, spirituality and cheat death before you hit level 9. Please, dear god. The level 5 goblin is so, so, so, so, so, so much easier to do that with than anything else in the game. I maxed out spirituality and cheat death and thought I was good, but man I wish I could go back and knock out survival as well.

Actually, the easiest enemy in the game for those skills is the pet rock (level 18 arena). It has one attack charm, does a total of 170 damage. You need at least 35 spirit to get survival off of it, though.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh, well, I haven't gotten there yet then. I am speaking from my "level 12 down" experience.

Edit: Now that I know that, I think I'm going to stop wasting all of my spare actions trying to farm survival off of the dag-blasted soldier.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seasoned Fighter (lvl14) is also a good one, it does 195 damage and only have 23 spirit. I could never do pet rock personally. it has way too much spirit and does way too little damage for me to farm it.

ZombieSheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Seasoned Fighter (lvl14) is also a good one, it does 195 damage and only have 23 spirit. I could never do pet rock personally. it has way too much spirit and does way too little damage for me to farm it.

You can use sacrifice charms (Hathnuz, Black Heart) to drain your life away enough to get you within range for the pet rock. Seasoned Fighter is another good one, though, yes.

Darian on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so i am lv 11, and i had given up on estiah for awhile but i think i'm getting back into t he loop, i want to make my character a recruit when i get to 20, but i don't know what the best jobs/skills/charms i should be using,

any suggestions?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God my assassin is so out of date.

Almost 44 though.

EDIT: Though it seems that coliseums still go to the spirit decks. At least one on one.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so i am lv 11, and i had given up on estiah for awhile but i think i'm getting back into t he loop, i want to make my character a recruit when i get to 20, but i don't know what the best jobs/skills/charms i should be using,

any suggestions?

A good source of ideas is the coliseum. Look at the winning decks used at your level and the next couple of levels. If they are using charms that you want, try to get those charms.

In terms of skills, I would get the ones required for the charms you want to use, as well as any +hp/+spirit skills you want to pick up on the way.

For jobs, just pick whichever one gets you to the stats you need. For what it is worth, many people just use their job as another move per day the majority of the time (they pick the conveyor/messenger jobs).

Freyajack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sent a message to Kasyn.

God the last fight in Bile, Bone and Blood keeps screwing me.

I need more healy charms.

The second fight is also annoying, but I can get it when the spirit attacks don't wipe out all my willpower charms.

EDIT: Thanks for the invite, Torq!

Oats on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Just signed up and used your link. :mrgreen:

I had no idea this thread was years old and thought 'holy crap, how did this get so big?' Then I saw the date on the 1st page. :P

I'm Hemmelight in-game.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

I had no idea this thread was years old and thought 'holy crap, how did this get so big?' Then I saw the date on the 1st page. :P

I'm Hemmelight in-game.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I will send you your care basket and cookies.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mitsuhide wrote: »

I'm Hemmelight in-game.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I will send you your care basket and [strike]cookies[/strike] waffles.

They're free.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You know what? Everything on this page? i have NO idea what you're all saying.

This is actually very exciting, as its an entirely new gaming paradigm for me SON OF A SNAPPA WAIT A SECOND

This is MegaMan Battle Chip Grand Prix : THE MMO.

... I just wish I didnt have to wait days to fine tune things. So, Cheat Death and Survival are skills I need to snag? Got it!

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i wish i was aware of the importance of getting cheat death and survival before both of my characters were lv 11 D:

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cheat death you can get at (just about) any level; survival is trickier, though.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sooooo.... How do I go about DOING these particular skills? I can take a guess that "Finishing with under 10% charms" isnt too difficult to engineer, but... uh...? Huh?

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Sooooo.... How do I go about DOING these particular skills? I can take a guess that "Finishing with under 10% charms" isnt too difficult to engineer, but... uh...? Huh?

http://progenitor-softworks.com/ew/index.php?title=Arena

Choose an appropriately leveled opponent, make a gear with one more charm than they have, with enough (cumulative, ideally) armor and ward to keep yourself alive, barely. Fill out the gear with whatever weapon skills you want to work on (really weak vendor charms so you don't kill the enemy by accident).

Instant cheat death. Add extra defense for spirituality; add a few more filler charms for survival, but then you have to get lucky with draw order.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, survival for me has been a great deal of trial and error and tweaking to edge my way into a slightly higher statistical chance to get it. Right now I get it about half the time against the fighter.

Edit: So, the rogue colossus is only one fight, which you can only do once per dungeon reset? Doesn't seem like it's worth it to hang out in Aleas, then, except when I can pop over just before reset after walking AND messengering from Zeal.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Edit: So, the rogue colossus is only one fight, which you can only do once per dungeon reset? Doesn't seem like it's worth it to hang out in Aleas, then, except when I can pop over just before reset after walking AND messengering from Zeal.

Considering it is 15 AP for some fairly good charms, I wouldn't skip it. Terrine's Heavy Shield in particular is the only useful protect charm you get from now until level 20. Especially since you don't need to stick around once you've queued up, it's not so bad.

Freyajack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Karar says:
    I do my rank 1 Cheat Death and Survival at Seasoned Fighter, no armor whatsoever needed, as long as you got the hp(it deals 195 melee, no magic), for super-twinkies you can do it pretty low lvl, for the rest it should still work at lvl 16-17. It's 100% guaranteed which I prefer to trying to get it earlier. Also great place for skilling up things you don't have, since you can put whatever you like in the gear, except for armor, as long as you don't kill it.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Freyajack wrote: »

Considering it is 15 AP for some fairly good charms, I wouldn't skip it. Terrine's Heavy Shield in particular is the only useful protect charm you get from now until level 20. Especially since you don't need to stick around once you've queued up, it's not so bad.

I suppose. Just means that on day 1 I queue for it, move a city over, ride to Zeal, wait for reset, move a city over, ride back to Aleas, repeat.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I suppose. Just means that on day 1 I queue for it, move a city over, ride to Zeal, wait for reset, move a city over, ride back to Aleas, repeat.

This is an important skill to develop to farm multiple dungeons simultaneously.

Darian on
  • Options
    Cowboybot67Cowboybot67 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/73736

This is my mentor code, if anyone wants to make an alt under it, I'd make one under yours or something.

Also, why do I need to get spirituality and cheat death before 11?

Cowboybot67 on
    Cowboybot.png
    Yar!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    because its a total bitch to get after 11,

of course both my characters did not get it D:

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Until like 18 or so.

admanb on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/73736

This is my mentor code, if anyone wants to make an alt under it, I'd make one under yours or something.

Also, why do I need to get spirituality and cheat death before 11?
    I created my character under yours, for you. As far as reciprocating, feel free if you want to and it's not against the rules.

So far, the design looks good. Can't do much in a day, but that's probably for the best. How do I join the PA guild? I can search for it, but don't see an Apply option or anything. My character name is "Gilrain", same as here. (They forced capitalization, the bastards.)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    So far, the design looks good. Can't do much in a day, but that's probably for the best. How do I join the PA guild? I can search for it, but don't see an Apply option or anything. My character name is "Gilrain", same as here. (They forced capitalization, the bastards.)

Invite coming soon.

Freyajack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    so both my characters hit lv 15 last night (now both are 16) and I decided to give the coliseum a try, and I have to say, what the hell did everyone else do in there, all the lv 15 people have 185-230 hp, my characters are barely pushing 170, and they all have amazing gear, i've been doing pvp for use of action points and buying pvp gear but it was still no match compared to what a lot of others had, what should I be doing? I want to be a rape machine D:

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To do well in the coliseum at low levels, you need to level up fairly slowly - spend time gathering and building up your extreme gather skills, explorer, and treasure hunter, along with any other skills that boost HP or Spirit. Some of those amazing charms will be coming from the exploration shops.
    Realistically, though, you don't need the coliseum rewards at the moment, so you can wait until your twenties to tune a solid deck for it at that point.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    To do well in the coliseum at low levels, you need to level up fairly slowly - spend time gathering and building up your extreme gather skills, explorer, and treasure hunter, along with any other skills that boost HP or Spirit. Some of those amazing charms will be coming from the exploration shops.
    Realistically, though, you don't need the coliseum rewards at the moment, so you can wait until your twenties to tune a solid deck for it at that point.

It doesn't necessarily get better in the 20s. I was doing quite well in the early 20s, but now I'm getting slaughtered again.

Since you get grouped into brackets based on your level, you want to be "good" for your level. Assuming you can build a good deck, the remainder of being "good" is either a) having a lot of +HP/+Spirit or b) having access to the best charms available at your level. I went with (a) and was making a killing in the early 20s, but now I find I am at a disadvantage by not having access to some of the best charms for my level. (a) and (b) are at odds with each other, because (a) leaves you with a fairly flat stat distribution that doesn't let you get some of the best charms at the level they become available.

In retrospect, I think a mixed strategy is best. That said, any character growth strategy is going to be better than no character growth strategy at all.

(In terms of gear, if someone has something you don't have but want, just look it up on the wiki to find out where it drops or is crafted.)

Freyajack on