As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Democratic Primaries]: The End of the Beginning

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alphabetized version of mtvcdm's list for easy access:
    Al Gore, Tennessee
    Anthony Zinni, Virginia
    Bill Nelson, Florida
    Bill Richardson, New Mexico
    Bob Casey, Pennsylvania
    Brian Schweitzer, Montana
    Christopher Dodd, Connecticut
    Chuck Hagel, Nebraska
    Claire McCaskill, Missouri
    Colin Powell, New York
    David Boren, Oklahoma
    Dennis Kucinich, Ohio
    Dick Gephardt, Missouri
    Drew Gilpin Faust, Massachusetts
    Ed Rendell, Pennsylvania
    Evan Bayh, Indiana
    Hillary Clinton, New York
    Jane Harman, California
    Janet Napolitano, Arizona
    Jim Webb, Virginia
    Joe Biden, Delaware
    John Edwards, North Carolina
    Joseph Cirincione, DC
    Kathleen Sabelius, Kansas
    Mark Warner, Virginia
    Max Baucus, Montana
    Michael Bloomberg, New York
    Nancy Pelosi, California
    Richard Lugar, Indiana
    Russ Feingold, Wisconsin
    Sam Nunn, Georgia
    Ted Strickland, Ohio
    Tim Kaine, Virginia
    Tom Daschle, South Dakota
    Tom Vilsack, Iowa
    Wesley Clark, Arkansas
    William J. Fallon, New Jersey

MKR on
  • Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alphabetized anagrams of MKR's alphabetized version of mtvcdm's list for easy access, for the lulz:
    Arch major if anal inane
    Askew ransacks really
    Attacked hoodlums as hot
    Belch or worm-like bogey-man
    Blinders flail loon
    Capably boney vainness
    Crummies slick social liar
    Elegant, serene, so
    Ensnared lively planned
    Farcically poison inane
    Heroic blinders climax now
    Hey! In avid banana
    His kind, choice union
    Hot kindest cordial
    I am raw, ranking river
    Irk in imaginative
    Is woundless if scorning
    Joined, chronic spice
    Jolly jewels win mean flair
    Large sake hunchback
    Launch air-raid daring
    Laze joint paranoia on ant
    Man! Act a buxom anus
    Man hoodlike bravado
    Manuring on sage
    Now conk yellow peril
    Now jeered able aid
    OK! I am vital cows
    On wrinkly, nicer tally-ho
    On zany in inviting hair
    Rage dishumor dipstick
    Snake like, subnasal hates
    Stigmatised sharp-cut awfulness
    The rich, conducted spin doctor
    Thorn and iron-jawed scholar
    View jar imbibing
    Whims brazen recantation

Mosati on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, I just want to give an overall thanks for posting tons of useful information here. This thread (and the previous ones) is what got me to vote and actually give a damn about politics. Keep up the good work.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't know how you can even watch cable news.
    Very easily. After all, the only other viable option when I get home from work is Sunrise Earth.

That's the one on Animal Planet. They set up cameras at some place on Earth some sunny morning, and then record the sunrise. That's the whole show.

I have actually been fairly entertained by all the talking heads as of late, and when I say all I include all the 24 hour news channels and Comedy Central. I even might actually start buying the morning newspaper again.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So Hillary is saying she's ahead in the popular vote*.

* if you include Florida and Michigan, even though Obama wasn't on the ballot in Michigan, and don't include any caucus states.

If you count it the sane way though, Obama's well ahead.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

* if you include Florida and Michigan, even though Obama wasn't on the ballot in Michigan, and don't include any caucus states.

she's been saying that for awhile now

doesn't matter, by the end i expect obama to be in the lead in both the sane and insane way

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

She's been saying that, with the same caveats, for quite a while. Wolf and John King even did a graphic tribute to it a few weeks ago, where they ran down most of the possible vote-counting scenarios.

Guess what? Obama still led, unless you discounted states he won, and counted states he didn't run in. Good work, Wolf and John!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so when rachael maddow took over for keith on countdown (temporarily right?) she beat bill o reily in ratings

heh

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    75,000. For a political rally. For the nominee* for the job.

Damn me if that isn't impressive.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    By their own admission, this has been the most slanted press coverage in American history.

:shock:

Edit: Every time I hear Bill open his mouth, I think he's said the most outrageous thing of his career. It's like the gift that keeps on pissing all over the carpet.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what it do peeps, I dropped my ballot off at one of the boxes today, good times

I didn't vote for the other stuff though, I feel lame but I didn't have time to research the candidates for senate or the propositions and such

You're not alone. When I got to the ballot box in N.C. I realized that I had completely forgotten to research the other candidates. It was my first time voting and I didn't even really have any residual notions about them, except some attack ads. I felt pretty irresponsible, but I have no real love for either of the major political parties.

I did tick off a candidate for one of the lower offices because I was given a pamphlet outside the polling area. He was the only person handing out pamphlets, he seemed competent, and the outline of what the candidate supported seemed reasonable.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder what Voter Participation is at now. Can anyone get numbers for that?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    McCain, speaking in Miami today, plans to criticize Obama on his approach to Cuba. http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/05/mccain_to_hit_obama_on_cuba_po.php

I'm seriously beginning to believe that we're going to have an election where the Democrat is by far the strongest on foreign policy. I mean, McCain keeps setting himself up for so many different vectors of attack, and each time he does, Obama just comes out looking better.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What about Isreal holding talks with Hammas.

Sounds like McCain and Bush are going to be alone in this foreign policy stand.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    McCain, speaking in Miami today, plans to criticize Obama on his approach to Cuba. http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/05/mccain_to_hit_obama_on_cuba_po.php

I'm seriously beginning to believe that we're going to have an election where the Democrat is by far the strongest on foreign policy. I mean, McCain keeps setting himself up for so many different vectors of attack, and each time he does, Obama just comes out looking better.

From that article:
    Now Senator Obama has shifted positions and says he only favors easing the embargo, not lifting it. He also wants to sit down unconditionally for a presidential meeting with Raul Castro. These steps would send the worst possible signal to Cuba's dictators - there is no need to undertake fundamental reforms, they can simply wait for a unilateral change in US policy.

Because heaven knows that the Cubans haven't spent 60 years waiting for a change in US policy; they've spent that time "undertaking" many "fundamental reforms" as a result of the embargo.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2008

That kind of shit used to sell. Part of the reason that Hillary tacked right on foreign policy (olol nuke Iran) is that in historical races, the Democrat got absolutely clubbed about the head and ears by muscular GOP posturing on foreign policy. The fact that Bush calling Obama an "appeaser" not only slid off, but was actively and successfully counterpunched was a surprise to a lot of pundits, and might reflect that the American public is, at least temporarily, a little sick of mindless bellicosity.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ultimately McCain's position of 'it's bad to talk to people' is untenable. It is only defensible from and ideological perspective, and that ideology is one that we as a nation seem to be rejecting en mass. The fact that you can attack it in easily digested sound bites is icing.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

That kind of shit used to sell. Part of the reason that Hillary tacked right on foreign policy (olol nuke Iran) is that in historical races, the Democrat got absolutely clubbed about the head and ears by muscular GOP posturing on foreign policy. The fact that Bush calling Obama an "appeaser" not only slid off, but was actively and successfully counterpunched was a surprise to a lot of pundits, and might reflect that the American public is, at least temporarily, a little sick of mindless bellicosity.

I think part of that was that Obama didn't meekly sit back and say, "Thank you sir may I have another." The Dems have always been unwilling to be firm on their FP stances, they have always responded then tried to change the subject. This gives them the appearance of being soft, it makes them seem like they have something to be afraid of on the subject.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The thing that's so dumb about McCain's Cuba rhetoric is that only really hard line Cubans are for the embargo as it is or tightening it. The hard liners are old as hell now, and most of their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren want to see loosening of restrictions and an opening of relations with the country, especially now that Fidel is out of the way. It's like McCain is operating on ten year old polls or something.

Also, he thinks Ahmadenijad is the most power man in Iran. That, or he'd like everyone to believe so. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/20/mccain-confronted-with-ne_n_102614.html

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    From that article:
    Now Senator Obama has shifted positions and says he only favors easing the embargo, not lifting it. He also wants to sit down unconditionally for a presidential meeting with Raul Castro. These steps would send the worst possible signal to Cuba's dictators - there is no need to undertake fundamental reforms, they can simply wait for a unilateral change in US policy.

Because heaven knows that the Cubans haven't spent 60 years waiting for a change in US policy; they've spent that time "undertaking" many "fundamental reforms" as a result of the embargo.

A bit off-topic, but Cuba hasn't spent the last 60 years "waiting for a change in US policy". They have, in fact, undertaken many reform programs, though none of them was a result of the embargo. A lot of what they did was a result of the fall of the Soviet Union.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    An alternative view would state that any and all changes in Cuba are as a result of our foreign policy towards them.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Clinton campaign to rail against sexism aimed at their campaign: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/19/AR2008051902729.html . Some blogger on HuffPost suggested that she do a gender equality version of Obama's race speech, since there's this big outcry of sexism among her supporters. I'm not optimistic that she'll do something that useful. It's much safer to assume she'll use it as a wedge issue.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't get it.

Where is this sexism? I can't think of one example.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Clinton campaign to rail against sexism aimed at their campaign: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/19/AR2008051902729.html . Some blogger on HuffPost suggested that she do a gender equality version of Obama's race speech, since there's this big outcry of sexism among her supporters. I'm not optimistic that she'll do something that useful. It's much safer to assume she'll use it as a wedge issue.

She would have to get Obama to write the speech. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I loved watching the Today show this morning (or GMA, I forget) with some woman talking about how Hillary has been maligned by pundits and news shows through rather overt sexism. So their plan to deal with it if Obama becomes the nominee is to vote Republican. Because, naturally, this sexism is coming from the progressive left.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't get it.

It's mostly been on the random pundit shows when someone will be a douchebag and say something sexist as part of their larger inane rant.

The only part of Clinton's railing against sexism I disliked this morning is that she also said racism played no part in this campaign, but the media is overtly sexist. Race and Sex played a part in the campaign, and while tragic, it doesn't explain her campaign's performance. Which seemed to fail entirely around the lines of using loyalists instead of subject matter experts in high places, and having absolutely no plan beyond being greeted as liberators after Feb 5th.

kildy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    An alternative view would state that any and all changes in Cuba are as a result of our foreign policy towards them.
    Well I'm sure that's the world view McCain espouses. And it is completely wrong.

If anything, the embargo has had more of an impact on the US than on Cuba. Cubans just hate the US and go on with their lives. Americans make a big electoral issue of this, drive a wedge in their electorate using it, and vote accordingly.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »

I think part of that was that Obama didn't meekly sit back and say, "Thank you sir may I have another." The Dems have always been unwilling to be firm on their FP stances, they have always responded then tried to change the subject. This gives them the appearance of being soft, it makes them seem like they have something to be afraid of on the subject.

I think it has more to do with 60%+ of the nation thinking that our brazenly going into Iraq without even acknowledging that a table exists where 2 people can sit down and talk, was a mistake. 'I'm going to be diplomatic, but with a hard line' would not have worked for Gore, or even Kerry, most likely. It only works when we're embroiled in a failing conflict and/or starting to get isolationist. Even if you do point to Roosevelt, Kennedy, Nixon, Reagan, and H.W. as evidence that your path leads to positive results and the Republican opponent's saber rattling leads to madness, it doesn't always go over well. Especially if you're a Democrat, because the quick attack lne is that you want to talk and won't take action, no matter how many times you say you're willing to bomb people. Only Nixon can go to China.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mavrick wrote:
    MCCAIN: I mean, the fact is he's the acknowledged leader of that country and you may disagree, but that's a uh, that's your right to do so, but I think if you asked any average American who the leader of Iran is, I think they'd know.
    :rotate:

Malkor on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MKR wrote: »

She would have to get Obama to write the speech. :P

It would be pretty hilarious if Obama chose this moment to overshadow Hilary by delivering a speech about gender inequality in America, proving he has a stronger grasp of that issue as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Obama Campaign has not spewed sexist remarks, messages, rude gestures, or hidden codes on the bottom of the kool-aid cups that I've seen. They've been wanting the race to be decided on merits, and have pushed that pretty hard.

The Clinton Campaign, however, have been courting the racist vote since Super Tuesday. "Hard working white voters"? Come the fuck on.

Tach on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    clownfood wrote: »

Clearly Israel doesn't care about the security of Israel. Probably all closet anti-semites.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    The Obama Campaign has not spewed sexist remarks, messages, rude gestures, or hidden codes on the bottom of the kool-aid cups that I've seen. They've been wanting the race to be decided on merits, and have pushed that pretty hard.

The Clinton Campaign, however, have been courting the racist vote since Super Tuesday. "Hard working white voters"? Come the fuck on.

She's saying the media is sexist (and the nation in general, but mostly the media), not Obama's campaign. I think it's misdirected outrage instead of asking why her strategy failed, but don't take it as a punch towards Obama.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Mavrick wrote:
    MCCAIN: I mean, the fact is he's the acknowledged leader of that country and you may disagree, but that's a uh, that's your right to do so, but I think if you asked any average American who the leader of Iran is, I think they'd know.
    :rotate:

Ayatollah Assahollah.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I keep wanting Clinton supporters to explain why it's okay to say that you're voting for her because she's a woman, but it's not okay to say you're voting for Barack because he's black.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Clearly Israel doesn't care about the security of Israel. Probably all closet anti-semites.

I hear they were openly talking about Hitler in their parliament just last week. With thunderous applause.

moniker on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I hear they were openly talking about Hitler in their parliament just last week. With thunderous applause.

dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't get it.

I'll sum it up for you: Remember anytime Obama dismissed remarks by his opponent, at all? Those were all examples of rampant sexism, because his opponent was a woman.

Geraldine Ferraro is a goddamn moron.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Of course the thunderous applause may have come after "And then he killed himself. What a dick."

¬_¬

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.