As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Democratic Primaries]: The End of the Beginning

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    True but Reagen used diplomacy first. McCain and Bush are pushing a foreign policy that's basically: shoot first and we'll be diplomatic when we've overthrown you and installed a puppet government that likes us.

I think the nuance here will be lost on the average McCain supporter.

They can really hammer it home though, "If you try to talk first, you can shoot later. If you shoot then there is no talking"

Nice, short, and pithy.

Obama's approach: Ask questions first, then shoot later. If it's warranted.

McCain/Bush approach: Shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more, then when everybody's dead, think about asking a few questions.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm sure in a few years Iraq will have calmed down enough for us to ask Saddam where he put the WM--oooohhhh.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    So, what primaries are left after today?
    Puerto Rico on June 1, and Montana and South Dakota on June 3, apparently. That's it.

After that, if Obama still hasn't hit 2026, I'm guessing enough remaining supers will go to him to get there. The only reason they haven't already is probably to avoid Hillary accusing them of "stealing" the nomination from the voters as if it's not inevidable.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    True but Reagen used diplomacy first. McCain and Bush are pushing a foreign policy that's basically: shoot first and we'll be diplomatic when we've overthrown you and installed a puppet government that likes us.

They can really hammer it home though, "If you try to talk first, you can shoot later. If you shoot then there is no talking"

Nice, short, and pithy.

Yea, but then McCain will retort with "Han shot first" and you know what kind of trouble that can cause.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    Mostly a Clinton demographic, from what I remember of the area. Your "hard working" type of folk. Ironically, on a bridge from Cincinnati to Covington, KY, a sign reads: "Kentucky: Where Education is Key!"

Yarp.
    I was in Cincinnati/Covington, KY/Newport,KY this weekend. There seemed to be a LOT of Clinton support there. Far more than Obama support. I know signs don't vote, but I don't think that area is going to be pro-Obama at all. His support is across the river and north of Ninth Street.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »

Nice, short, and pithy.

Yea, but then McCain will retort with "Han shot first" and you know what kind of trouble that can cause.

Indiana Jones waited for the sword guy to finish his schtick before he shot. And that man thwarted Nazis on a regular basis.

moniker on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »
    Mostly a Clinton demographic, from what I remember of the area. Your "hard working" type of folk. Ironically, on a bridge from Cincinnati to Covington, KY, a sign reads: "Kentucky: Where Education is Key!"

Yarp.
    I was in Cincinnati/Covington, KY/Newport,KY this weekend. There seemed to be a LOT of Clinton support there. Far more than Obama support. I know signs don't vote, but I don't think that area is going to be pro-Obama at all. His support is across the river and north of Ninth Street.

Covington and Newport exist for the sole purpose of giving people from Cincinnati a place to buy lottery tickets. The only good thing about them is the aquarium in Newport, which is awesome. <3

And now, I'm off to vote!

Kilroy on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Covington and Newport exist for the sole purpose of giving people from Cincinnati a place to buy lottery tickets. The only good thing about them is the aquarium in Newport, which is awesome. <3
    That's actually why I made the trip. Shark petting at the Newport Aquarium. It's not the Shed, but hey... shark petting.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »

Nice, short, and pithy.

Han tried to talk his way out of it first.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    Supposedly Kennedy's tumor is a Glioma, which is an extra bad kind of brain tumor. So things aren't looking too good for him.

Sadly, he's right. It was in the statement that the associated press received from his doctors that it was a malignant Glioma tumor. Glioma tumor's are highly infiltrative, cause necrosis and hypoxia to the site, and almost always grow back after surgically removed. There are some experimental treatments being tested right now that are supposedly very effective at curbing the chances that the tumor grows back after surgically removed, but I really don't know much about them.

EDIT: For those wondering, the average survival time for grade 4 gliomas is about a year. So yeah, sad news.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    080520Obama3_naoiur3s.gif

Party coalescing.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    East of what? East Coast? East Islanders? Easter Island Heads?

moniker on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It means Asian I imagine. Or Oriental. Or whatever the fuck the PC term is these days.

shryke on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It means Asian I imagine. Or Oriental. Or whatever the fuck the PC term is these days.
    In the US, Asian is still what's in general use. But in this case, it apparently means "people living in the Eastern US".
    Gallup wrote:
    At the same time, support for Clinton among some of her traditionally stalwart support groups -- women, Easterners, whites, adults with no college education, and Hispanics -- has fallen below 50%.
    Linky.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No, Obama is winning Asians in a landslide, thanks to Clinton's attacks on China.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    No, Obama is winning Asians in a landslide, thanks to Clinton's attacks on China.

Really? That's a hell of a turn-around. I'd heard he was losing bad there.

Or was that Indians?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It turned around. He was losing Asians 2-1 now he's winning them 2-1.

Hoz on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wow her Hispanic support tanked big time

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm more shocked he's beating her with women voters now.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahahahaha. Oh lord, this is a real ad

Edit: Ad was actually from the '06 election. Whoops. Leaving it up because it's so hilarious.

Also, on a more serious election note, down ticket Democrats are showing spine and hitting back this tmie around too. I love the response ad.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

She loves burning her bridges. Sometimes after she crosses them, sometimes before.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Savant wrote: »

She loves burning her bridges. Sometimes after she crosses them, sometimes before.

Sometimes while she's still on the bridge. South Carolina, anyone?

moniker on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Just wait till she tells Ellen Degeneris she can't get married then she'll lose the gay vote too.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

Also, on a more serious election note, down ticket Democrats are showing spine and hitting back this tmie around too. I love the response ad.
    a pathetic record. a pathetic campaign.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    Oh Christ, that ad.

So terrible.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh Christ, that ad.

So terrible.

It's as if the Star Wars Kid travelled back in time, lost a shit ton of weight, and decided to run for political office.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh fucking snap, that was harsh.

shryke on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Obama's interview with Wolf Blitzer includes plenty of bitch-slapping for McCain. http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/05/obama_responds_to_mccain_blast.php

Seriously, McCain is going to lose this argument, no matter how hard he tries to have the last word.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The right answer is always to have a spine.

If Obama Democrats are known for kicking ass and taking names in a couple decades, I think the world will be a better place.

werehippy on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    werehippy wrote: »

The right answer is always to have a spine.

If Obamacrats are known for kicking ass and taking names in a couple decades, I think the world will be a better place.

Fixed.

MKR on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtZlR3zp4c

Best political vid all week.

McCain is a decietful, warmongering, fear exploiting, corporate minion who has so many lobbyists running his campaign that he should dress up his suit in corporate logos like a damn nascar.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Haha, some retard on TPM said that Obama is sad, on the defensive in the Blitzer interview. Shit, if that's Obama on defense, McCain and the Republicans aren't going to want any part of him on the offensive.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, there's at least one vote for Obama from this godforsaken backwater county.

Also, is there an unspoken rule that only old people can run polls? Because every time I go to vote, it's the same group of half-deaf seniors running things.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No, you can always volunteer if you want. They'd be happy to have you.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    roflbot15.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Well, there's at least one vote for Obama from this godforsaken backwater county.

Also, is there an unspoken rule that only old people can run polls? Because every time I go to vote, it's the same group of half-deaf seniors running things.

No, they just have the most time off, being retired, and are civic minded. I wonder what's going to happen when the 'greatest generation' dies off, though. Nobody was even close to the 60's end of the retirement spectrum around here.

moniker on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    No, you can always volunteer if you want. They'd be happy to have you.

Just be sure to stay off the lawn.

Houn on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    Sympathy votes only work for failed assassination attempts.

See: Taiwan's election in 2004, though people still squabble over whether it was staged

Not true. Mel Carnahan won a Missouri senate seat even though (or maybe because) he'd died in a plane crash during his campaign.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This whole Foreign Policy thing reminds me of something someone wrote a long time ago: that Obama has an instinct for the jugular and the counter punch. They noted his style lack a lot of open aggression, but he was a master of rebuttal and knew what to say which would get to the heart of the matter.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Sympathy votes only work for failed assassination attempts.

See: Taiwan's election in 2004, though people still squabble over whether it was staged

Not true. Mel Carnahan won a Missouri senate seat even though (or maybe because) he'd died in a plane crash during his campaign.

That was more likely due to the fact that pretty much no one in the state wanted to re-elect Ashcroft.

Sadly, that freed him up for the Attorney General position.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.