As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apartment management inspecting apartment?

BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Is this normal? This is my first apartment, I've lived here about 8 months and came home to find this stuck in my door:

"We will be inspecting all apartment homes on [some dates]. As such we will require access to your apartment home on those days, please ensure all pets are secured. [formalities and ask them if you have any questions]"

I don't have anything illegal or otherwise untoward in my apartment, just good ol fashioned messiness. It didn't even state what the inspection was for, isn't that odd?

BlochWave on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aye, this is normal. Generally, the inspection is just to make sure that your safety mechanisms (smoke alarms, etc...) are working properly and that nothing is horribly broken.

Take this as a good opportunity to show them something that's broken and has been bugging you for some time.

I've gone through probably a dozen of these... most of the time they don't even send anyone official with them. They'll send the maintenance crew. Might not always be the case, but I wouldn't worry either way. It's just one of the unfortunate side effects of living in apartments. If they hadn't done it in 8 months, odds are someone reported them for not doing safety inspections and now they have to do it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, my apartment (back when I had one :( ) was inspected a couple of times. For me it was the manager and an inspector from the city, and yeah, it was mostly just checking safety devices and just took a few minutes. I wish I had warning for the first one, though (I didn't, they just showed up. Would have liked to have cleaned up a bit first). They did the second inspection while I wasn't there but they alerted me beforehand the day.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ohh THAT type of inspection. Well that was simple. Thanks

BlochWave on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, I should note that we can't *guarantee* it's that type of inspection... but I've never seen any apartment inspection that *wasn't* simply for safety purposes.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it is a good excuse to tidy up a bit, if nothing else :D

ihmmy on
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They will be used to inspecting messy apartments all the time, just try to uncover as much of the floor as you can, and don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, or underwear lying in plain view. :lol:

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd be afraid of them taking something if I weren't home.

tardcore on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah as long as they tell you about it, they can do it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My apartment got inspected for the first time in two years, but it was because the new company that owns these apartments is trying to clear them out and turn them into condos! We're protected by being a historical site (these apartments are the oldest standing in my city) but greedy people think they'd be great to gut and turn into $250,000 condos. In any case, they just came in, looked around, and walked out. It was a one minute ordeal. I wouldn't expect much. Just don't have a fire pit in the middle of your living room or a meth lab in your bathroom.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Our condo association does the same thing - they'll hang notices saying they're coming to check the smoke alarms/look for leaky pipes/etc. Usually there's also and end part with something to the effect of "Our workers will not be purposefully inspecting for general problems, but if they happen to notice anything against the rules, prepare for pain."
    I'd be afraid of them taking something if I weren't home.

It varies from place to place....In the last place I lived, the maintenance staff consisted of a few Mexican guys in dirty jeans and t-shirts, but in our current quarters it's uniformed, professional staff from an outside company.

Personally, since I have renter's insurance (and you should too, if you don't already), i'm less worried about our stuff being stolen than I am about something happening to our cats - it took more than a few visits to pound it into the staff's heads that no, they can't do preventative bug spraying while the cats wander around and breathe it, no, they can't come repaint the front door and leave it wide open and out of sight distance for 2 hours, etc.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.