Options

[Definition:] Gamers

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Nah gaming community is awesome. If you know where to look.

That could be said about every single "community" there is. And surely a community loses its worth if you range from seven-year-olds playing Nintendogs to sixteen-year-old Halo douchebags to fifty-year-olds who got a DS for Brain Age and digital crosswords.

I think that in this day and age, far too many people play video games for "gamer" to be useful as a label. It's like saying "the meat-eating community" or "the TV-watching community".

That right there really supplies a new perception on the situation.

Thanks.

In other words, I'm so scared.
    I have never shyed from calling myself a nerd. It's a badge of honor for me.

Speaking of which... if there was actually a badge you could wear for nerds, what would it be? A double cheeseburger with two viking swords crossed behind it? Yeah... throw in a gamepad at the bottom and a wreath of stinklines surrounding the whole thing. I would get that tattooed on my face. Somebody photoshop this up.

startrekinsignialb4.jpg

Pfft. And you have the gumption to call yourself a nerd.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I havent heard the word gumption in awhile. It needs to make a comeback.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tell my friends and coworkers that I am a video game nerd. It's how I get across the fact that I know a fair bit about videogaming, and that's how I like to spend my free time.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited May 2008
    I havent heard the word gumption in awhile. It needs to make a comeback.

Well there it is! Let's run with it.

Tell your friends!

"Gumption's the new Balls!"

Sheep on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are we going to have a nerd-off? Because if we're going to have a nerd-off, I'm taking the power gloves off.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    Are we going to have a nerd-off? Because if we're going to have a nerd-off, I'm taking the power gloves off.

Don't forget to bring your badge... we don't take kindly to imposters and spies.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

startrekinsignialb4.jpg

Pfft. And you have the gumption to call yourself a nerd.

And therein lies one of the problems with this discussion: I have watched maybe three episodes of Star Trek. Do I not get to call myself a nerd, despite my many other nerdish interests?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Don't forget to bring your badge... we don't take kindly to imposters and spies.

ogre01bk4.jpg
    And therein lies one of the problems with this discussion: I have watched maybe three episodes of Star Trek. Do I not get to call myself a nerd, despite my many other nerdish interests?

I don't watch it myself.

But we're all Trekkies, some way.

*sniff*

Sheep on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I honestly miss the days when gaming was not nearly as wide spread. Back when muliplayer meant fighting over couch space for Goldeneye, or back further when it meant actually going to an arcade with a pocket of quarters, or back even further when it meant stringing telephone line across my room to hook up by xband and murder people at MKII.

I think that the overall culture, if you can call it that, has become so diluted that it is meaningless.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I'm really perplexed as to what is considered a gamer these days. Or a hardcore gamer as opposed to casual.

it's difficult to put them into distinct categories, but this is how I view it most of the time -

Hardcore: You spend hours upon hours playing a single game trying to master it or your skill level is much higher than the average player, the things you can do not as many people can do. Competition means a lot and this is where a lot of the enjoyment comes, including improving your own skill.

Casual: You play the game a little bit, never really being better than average. You don't really care to master the game and the techniques available, it is more about just having some quick fun then trying to be the best.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think that the term "gamer" denotes a bit of fanboyism. A gamer, in my book, is one who actively seeks information regarding their gaming hobby. The 50yo who does Sudoku DS would never buy or even pick up and flip through a copy of GamePro or PCGamer. The 7yo Pokemon fanatic would not create a virtual identity and bitch out random strangers on discussion forums because those strangers said Pikachu can die in a fire.

A "gamer", to me, is one who actively pursues the hobby, quivering in anticipation for the latest, greatest release. They join message boards, they buy (or at least flip through) gaming magazines, and they keep up-to-date. Even casual gamers will get all googly-eyed when they hear about the all-puce furniture package in the newest Sims xpac. Non-gamers just don't get like that. They give a shrug of the shoulders and a, "That's neat," and then move on.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    I think that the term "gamer" denotes a bit of fanboyism. A gamer, in my book, is one who actively seeks information regarding their gaming hobby. The 50yo who does Sudoku DS would never buy or even pick up and flip through a copy of GamePro or PCGamer. The 7yo Pokemon fanatic would not create a virtual identity and bitch out random strangers on discussion forums because those strangers said Pikachu can die in a fire.

A "gamer", to me, is one who actively pursues the hobby, quivering in anticipation for the latest, greatest release. Even casual gamers will get all googly-eyed when they hear about the all-puce furniture package in the newest Sims xpac. Non-gamers just don't get like that. They give a shrug of the shoulders and a, "That's neat," and then move on.

a little off-topic, but i see you are in oakland, CA. I am going to assume you have seen the San Francisco Giants ads? A gamer indeed.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I honestly miss the days when gaming was not nearly as wide spread. Back when muliplayer meant fighting over couch space for Goldeneye, or back further when it meant actually going to an arcade with a pocket of quarters, or back even further when it meant stringing telephone line across my room to hook up by xband and murder people at MKII.

I think that the overall culture, if you can call it that, has become so diluted that it is meaningless.

My fondest social gaming moment was when my friends and I found an arcade down the block from my house. It wasn't very large, and this was at the end of arcade's lifetime. We would search for bottles/cans for about 5 days, then on a saturday, we'd bike down to the Arcade with around 15 dollars worth in quarters. We'd play Area 51 until we beat it, then tourney up in streetfighter. Jesus, it was awesome.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the name drop!

Anyways here is my little take:

Gamer: Someone who plays games.

Casual: Someone who plays games casually. Seriously, that's all it is to it. Someone who just plays Madden or GTA some of the time? Casual. Your grandma with just Wii Sports? Also casual. Someone who plays Mindsweep or Solitaire or Peggle all day? Desk Worker. Also a casual gamer.

Hardcore: This is where the fun comes in. Until the Wii came out I had it as someone who had gaming as a primary hobby. You know, the type of person who'd post on a sub forum about gaming on a forum of a webcomic site primarily about video games. This would be you. Now it's all confused. Some people take it to mean:

"Gamers who don't like to waggle. Also big cry babies. Waaaah."

Also known as the so called hardly-core.

or a more particular subset...

"Gamers who need 720p or 1080p and/or achievements even though tons of the best selling games are some weird custom resolution that fools you into believing its 720p."

Also known as lapsed PC gamers or people who should be PC gamers but can't give up the comfy couch.

While others still hold on to the old definition. I bet we could come up with a few more if we tried.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was all over by Quake. The geek angst + anonymous Internet competitive play. I would say the present community "feels" similar to how it did back then (with forums instead of IRC), but much different than in the Doom days, mostly because there wasn't much there, like you said.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008

My fondest social gaming moment was when my friends and I found an arcade down the block from my house. It wasn't very large, and this was at the end of arcade's lifetime. We would search for bottles/cans for about 5 days, then on a saturday, we'd bike down to the Arcade with around 15 dollars worth in quarters. We'd play Area 51 until we beat it, then tourney up in streetfighter. Jesus, it was awesome.

This is exactly what I miss. Exactly.

Now even social gaming is just sitting by yourself and logging into WoW. I have never understood the draw. Give me a dimly lit, foul smelling bowling alley with a lonely NeoGeo arcade cabinet any day.

For everything else, I'll just play single player, which I suppose makes me a hermit...

RE Tim: Diku MUDS, baby!

chamberlain on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the name drop!

No prob mr. fancy_sombrero.

Off topic, but reminds me of a calvin and hobbes where calvin is showing how cool he is to hobbes by glaring downward while leaning against a tree, so hobbes goes and gets a sombrero, then they argue about weather or not a sombrero is cool.

On topic: I play quite casually with my friends at smash brothers, and I have gotten good at it, but the desire to play has never been to be better than my friends.

I'm thinking these are my defenitions in relation to one another:

Casual Gamer: A type of gamer who enjoys playing games as a hobby, and the pleasure derived from the games come from the play experience.

Hardcore Gamer: A type of gamer who's passion for gaming is at times fanatical, and the pleasure derived from the games comes from superiority and domination of the game itself or the other players.

I don't find either of these defenitions particularly offensive, and seems like they work fine for me.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A true gamer knows that Pimpauchi does not wear a sombrero. Pimpauchi wears a pimp hat made the finest silk and fur of panda.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

A "gamer", to me, is one who actively pursues the hobby, quivering in anticipation for the latest, greatest release. Even casual gamers will get all googly-eyed when they hear about the all-puce furniture package in the newest Sims xpac. Non-gamers just don't get like that. They give a shrug of the shoulders and a, "That's neat," and then move on.

a little off-topic, but i see you are in oakland, CA. I am going to assume you have seen the San Francisco Giants ads? A gamer indeed.

I hear those ads on the radio, in the east bay.

Makes me want to punch a baby or something.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

I hear those ads on the radio, in the east bay.

Makes me want to punch a baby or something.

Now someone has to post a link, because I'm really curious about these ads.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm really perplexed as to what is considered a gamer these days. Or a hardcore gamer as opposed to casual.

it's difficult to put them into distinct categories, but this is how I view it most of the time -

Hardcore: You spend hours upon hours playing a single game trying to master it or your skill level is much higher than the average player, the things you can do not as many people can do. Competition means a lot and this is where a lot of the enjoyment comes, including improving your own skill.

Casual: You play the game a little bit, never really being better than average. You don't really care to master the game and the techniques available, it is more about just having some quick fun then trying to be the best.

This is like trying to classify the complete spectrum of color into either red or blue.

Masonite on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Masonite wrote: »

This is like trying to classify the complete spectrum of color into either red or blue.

huh? read the topic. The player is the person who is hardcore or casual, but obviously that doesn't apply to every game they play. They can be hardcore about one game, but casual with another.

in essence I am saying that there are hardcore and casual players.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Speaking of which... if there was actually a badge you could wear for nerds, what would it be? A double cheeseburger with two viking swords crossed behind it? Yeah... throw in a gamepad at the bottom and a wreath of stinklines surrounding the whole thing. I would get that tattooed on my face. Somebody photoshop this up.

burgerswordsgr2.jpg

slash000 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

burgerswordsgr2.jpg

Mmmm deliciously awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For the record, I think "hardcore" gamers are defined by those who buy 5-10 or more titles a year, with casual gamers less than that. That's why MS can still claim success with the hardcore, as it's all about attachment rates and the 360's got the highest attachment rate of any console out there.

These are terms, however, that are really only useful when figuring out target markets. If you only buy 2-4 games a year but you play the ever living shit out of them, you're hardcore by any reasonable reckoning.

The way I bust it down is this: if you play games at all you're a gamer. If you play thema lot and follow news and give a shit about the industry, you're hardcore. If not, you're casual, and neither definition is positive or negative.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Masonite wrote: »

huh? read the topic. The player is the person who is hardcore or casual, but obviously that doesn't apply to every game they play. They can be hardcore about one game, but casual with another.

in essence I am saying that there is a hardcore and casual spectrum, and it would be possible, technically, to create enough individual categories to put every single person on this planet within a unique one of their own. In the end though, it would tell you about as much information as knowing everybody has a unique genetic signature does. We know we are all different, and we know nothing useful as a result.

I'm not really fixing the above quote: just the start of it made this sentence spring to mind.

Really people are right that hardcore and casual are not very useful definitions if you want to do something useful with what you are classifying, because you only have 2 items to do something wtih.

They should have different levels, if you can think of names that aren't complete stupid, possibly something totally objective like H1 H2 or something. Although that wouldn't catch on probably, not enough internet "kewl".

But you know what I have a great big stats project due in a few weeks and I don't feel like adding any further to this topic. Just that it is possible to quantify non concrete stuff like this in a way that becomes useful to, say, try to pick out general trends that you might be able to design gametypes around? It's just got a lot of uncertainty and chance for error, so you have to pick your questions and definitions carefully.

The only problem comes when people take only two, very rigid, definitions, and then slap them onto everything as if they're giant stamps and think it makes what they say significant, or worse, make you want to pay for it. There's a reason people think it's stupid:

Because it's not enough definitions, that's why. Not because the concept is unsound.

Ohhh, two more posts since I was typing a reply. I suppose we can let this thread die. I kind of got what I needed to hear out of it. Man, do you guys have certain regulars on the board that you respect, even if you don't know why? Lewie P, Xenogears of Bore, TSR and Urahonky just do it for me. They can validate ANYTHING.

No, I know exactly why I respect the people I respect. It's because the majority of the time they say something, and I subject it to criticism, it comes out clean, logical, sound, reasonable, etc (even if I might not actually agree with the conclusion, since a lot of it is just opinion). So I expect that in future, and the respect is built because it keeps happening.
    You should never just blindly just listen to what someone says and assume it's sound, might as well just start worshipping them. :P

"Urahonky for Emperor!" does have a really amusing ring to it though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, another thing that I thought was incredibly stupid. Again, not anyone specific on this forum, but the amount of whining that I saw over Clover/Seeds/Platinum Games "selling out" by making... I dunno.

Honestly. I'm not exactly sure what the complaint was. Some said the games were specifically tailored to make money, but I don't see it. Seems like the DMC guy is making a DMC like game in Bayonette. The Okami guy is making a stylish action game with MadWorld. What's the deal?

How were they selling out?

Because they're not making GodHand 2 or Okami 2?

GMAFB.

Fuggin hipsters.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, another thing that I thought was incredibly stupid. Again, not anyone specific on this forum, but the amount of whining that I saw over Clover/Seeds/Platinum Games "selling out" by making... I dunno.

Honestly. I'm not exactly sure what the complaint was. Some said the games were specifically tailored to make money, but I don't see it. Seems like the DMC guy is making a DMC like game in Bayonette. The Okami guy is making a stylish action game with MadWorld. What's the deal?

GMAFB.

Fuggin hipsters.

The hardcore what sequels to existing fracnshises so they don't have to make new cosplay costumes, but they still need to be original, thus fueling more fanfic. Duh.

[/sarcasm]

chamberlain on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not a hardcore gamer because I bought Contra 4 and the game told me so.
    I can't manage to clear half the first level on normal without using a continue.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

burgerswordsgr2.jpg

A Playstation controller?

REALLY?

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Urahonky for Emperor!" does have a really amusing ring to it though.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know I like the sound of that. :^:

urahonky on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

GMAFB.

Fuggin hipsters.

I love id back when they were underground. Getting signed totally ruined them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think you're a gamer if you call/identify yourself as being similar to the group of people that call themselves gamers. It think the term itself is unique. Other forms of media do not use the media as a descriptor. You're a "-fan" or a "-viewer" or a "-goer". I think when people use the term "gamer", it is a really a sub-classification of geeks/nerds.

It's like porn, it's hard to describe, but you know it if you see it.

Degrees of "hardcore-ness" is just e-peen waving.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I would just drop the generic "hardcore" label completely and only apply it to specific games. That is, "I play Super Metroid hardcore" or "I would play Pokemon hardcore, but I really don't have the patience for playing Darwin to a bunch of brightly colored critters."

Tamin on
  • Options
    StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think this is probably the only board I've come across (including blog comment sections) that doesn't believe you're not a real gamer unless you have at least one Samus tattoo, have beaten the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2, go into frothing rage-seizures whenever someone even mentions Madden and spend at least three days ranting on messageboards about how there's a conspiracy on Gamerankings to rank GTA IV's aggregate score higher than Ocarina of Time and only pimply teenage wiggers play GTA IV anyways and it's not even that good, it's like a 7/10, JEEZ.

If you can be a gamer without really caring about a lot of canonical old-school games, sure, I'm a gamer. I didn't own a console until I was in my early 20s. It was a Dreamcast, which I thought was all right if unspectacular, and was only mildly bummed out when it was discontinued. I have never even come close to beating Super Mario Bros, have never bothered playing a Zelda game and can't get into Deus Ex. I have zero stake whatsoever in the console wars. But I've beaten the Fallout games like fifteen times, I spent more time playing Forza 2 over the last year than some people with daily commutes actually spend driving a real car, I 100%ed Vice City, and my non-gamer friends give me blank looks every time I flip out over how amazing Rez HD or No More Heroes are. And I own all three major consoles and a DS, which means I'm either rich or way too into this pastime. (NOTE: I am not rich.)

Saying someone isn't a gamer because they spend most of their time playing the "wrong" kinds of games is like fucking stupid and it should pretty much stop immediately. Seriously, how is spending 8 hours a week playing Persona 3 any more legitimate as "gaming" than spending 8 hours a week playing Madden?

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

GMAFB.

Fuggin hipsters.

Are you always this succinct?

Sheep on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Probably most of the people who disparage those who 'play' Madden do so because they don't see there being much of a game in playing football on a console.

You choose teams (mostly pre-made), who are given real-world based 'stats' (offense, defense, whatnot), and then you can choose which pre-set 'play' you want to try, which would simply crunch the numbers, but you can also take control of whoever has the ball and run down the field, dodging obstacles? I think?

Sounds like MtG meets Mario to me. Magic, also, charges the players for new editions of the cards (not specifically, but you will end up with duplicates-with-new-art).

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ok, so now that we are pretty set in OUR collective decisions as to what constitutes a hardcore/casual gamer (which all seem relatively similar), do we know what ACTUALLY is the definition used by the industry for the two? Is it really just a difference in how many games bought a year?

Also, Urahonky, 2008. (jack eddy VP(een)!)

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

GMAFB.

Fuggin hipsters.

Are you always this succinct?

Fo sho, ID totally sold out worse then when Metallica cut their hair and started making consistently good music.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tamin wrote: »
    Probably most of the people who disparage those who 'play' Madden do so because they don't see there being much of a game in playing football on a console.

You choose teams (mostly pre-made), who are given real-world based 'stats' (offense, defense, whatnot), and then you can choose which pre-set 'play' you want to try, which would simply crunch the numbers, but you can also take control of whoever has the ball and run down the field, dodging obstacles? I think?

Sounds like MtG meets Mario to me. Magic, also, charges the players for new editions of the cards (not specifically, but you will end up with duplicates-with-new-art).

I think it's simpler than that.

I think most "gamers" equivocate people who play Madden/EA Sports to close minded, fly-over state jocks who used to make fun of them for playing AD&D or reading comics.

I know it's a link to youtube, but I still think this perfectly describes "gamers" vs Madden folks.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png