As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Niko Bellic vs Niko Bellic

124»

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Not a diss on David Hayter, but the voice acting in Metal Gear games has always struck me as over-the-top and campy.

I thought that was the point.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Not a diss on David Hayter, but the voice acting in Metal Gear games has always struck me as over-the-top and campy.

I thought that was the point.

Iriquois Pliskin

Snake Pliskin is the quintessence of over-the-top and campy.

I've no doubt that that is exactly what it is supposed to be.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A couple of people have commented on this a couple times, but I just wanted to add that while anyone can code, talented coders are not particularly common. The top 5% can easily produce 4x as much work as your average coder, and yet they're still invisible - not because they're more common, but because programmers simply don't have celebrity status, which means they don't get bargaining power. (With very few exceptions.)

4x is an underestimate, top coders are anything between 5x and 28x more productive than the average coder. They are the greatest bargain in information technology.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Supply and demand. People negotiate their own price and if you think you are underpaid according to market value, you find yourself another job. Programmers are a dime a dozen, that's why they don't get paid all that well. And evidently this guy thought he was only worth 100k at one point or that there was a pool of potentials who were just as good as would jump at the chance for that low a sum, so there is really no reason for him to be whining about it right now.

And what the hell does easy have to do with salary?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The fuck? Another one? Does everyone who does VO in a GTA game end up whining about their pay after the game is released? Isn't thisexactly what Ray Liotta did? And the dude who voiced Roman? Did anyone who worked on San Andreas bitch about money afterward? I mean, give me a fuckin' break. You signed the contract, you agreed to the terms. That means you don't get to be whiny about it and ask for more money later.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Programmers are a dime a dozen, that's why they don't get paid all that well.

I don't know where you live, but around here even just okay devs make well above the average household income.

Doc on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I live in Austin, and I meant that in the context of the present discussion. I realize most people don't make very much money.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Triple B wrote: »
    The fuck? Another one? Does everyone who does VO in a GTA game end up whining about their pay after the game is released? Isn't thisexactly what Ray Liotta did? And the dude who voiced Roman? Did anyone who worked on San Andreas bitch about money afterward? I mean, give me a fuckin' break. You signed the contract, you agreed to the terms. That means you don't get to be whiny about it and ask for more money later.

But it's GTA! Huge moneys!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

The problem he's voicing is that the contract was written by his union/guild, and he had no say in the terms contained. His problem is with the actors' union, not Rockstar.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pardon me if this as already been said, I only read the first two pages, but where I work, artists and programmers DO earn residuals, so it isn't impossible that other studios do too.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

The problem he's voicing is that the contract was written by his union/guild, and he had no say in the terms contained. His problem is with the actors' union, not Rockstar.

I see. That I can understand, then. Does he actually have a legitimate gripe, though? Meaning, is there anything to be gained from his aforementioned griping?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, I can kind of see a parallel to artists and music labels - the artists don't usually read the contracts too well, or demand terms, so when their albums go multi-platinum, the label gets rich and the artists get dick. However, in that case the artists are usually creating their own songs, but in this case he's just giving a performance of other people's work.

However, without knowing other things like how much Rockstar would have been willing to pay, how much other actors in similar situations make, etc., it's hard to know how fair the contract was. Honestly, I think he was compensated pretty fairly. Due to the HUGE amount of people who supplied voice acting for this game, let alone the total number of people who worked on it, I can't see any possible way to divide royalties fairly without the percentages having to be miniscule and pointless.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only time you get royalties is if they know ahead of time that you are singularly important to the success of the project. Even actor don't get royalties unless they were sought for the role and they knew the movie's success depended on them.

I doubt this is the case for the Niko actor.

Yar on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't see Niko getting royalties when Tom Clancy goesn't get them for games that have his name on the cover.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I don't see Niko getting royalties when Tom Clancy goesn't get them for games that have his name on the cover.

The only reason he doesn't is because Ubisoft gave him an assload of money upfront instead of an assload of money spread over several years (which was the prior arrangement).

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure what your point is.

japan on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Tom Clancy used to get royalties until he decided he'd rather have a hunourmous fuckton of cash up front, instead. Ubisoft also liked this idea and basically drove a dump truck full of Euros to his house.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    japan wrote: »

The only reason he doesn't is because Ubisoft gave him an assload of money upfront instead of an assload of money spread over several years (which was the prior arrangement).

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure what your point is.

Isn't that the same arrangement game VAs currently have? It's not Clancy money, but it's still $100K lump-summed rather than spread out over the retail life of the game.

The point is that if the leading creative elements of games, ie the people who would get royalties in other industries, are moving away from a royalty-based payment structure, then why would the publishers move back towards it for VAs?

In Hollywood most royalties are limited to above the line (creative) elements of production, rather than below the line (technical) elements. Actors and writers get royalties, grips and sound technicians not so much (their union prefers better deals on health care and pensions). Well, here's one of the biggest above the line elements in the industry prominently moving away from royalties, not towards them.

I don't see game royalties gaining any traction without the support of big names, and that means they need guys like Clancy and Sid Meier and Ken Levine more than guys like Mike Hollick. If SAG royalty demands were only supported by actors you've never heard of and not the likes of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts as well, they'd never get anywhere either.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't see game royalties gaining any traction without the support of big names, and that means they need guys like Clancy and Sid Meier and Ken Levine more than guys like Mike Hollick. If SAG royalty demands were only supported by actors you've never heard of and not the likes of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts as well, they'd never get anywhere either.

The last time this issue came up, Samuel L. Jackson was one of the actors leading the push. And oddly enough, it revolved around a GTA game as well.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum