As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So we now know that it wasn't RELEASED on Steam...

dderidexdderidex Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
...is there any chance of a Steam distribution in the future?

I waited on the 'Sam and Max' games until they came out on Steam, I expect will do the same here. Looks interesting, though! Any ETA on that?

dderidex on

• DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just get it from Greenhouse. It's actually less hassle than Steam.

Drool on
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it that hard to get it from somewhere other than Steam?

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They've pretty much said it's not happening at all, so you may not want to cut off your nose to spite your face. If it looks good, get it. If not, pass.

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Steam is not free. Developers have to pay a sizable amount to get distributed though it. You also give up customer privacy as well. (Your customer data becomes property of Valve.) Use Greenhouse

halkun on
  • dderidexdderidex Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drool wrote: »

Less hassle than Steam? I can hardly imagine how that would be possible - Steam is really QUITE a joy to use. Almost every game I have is on Steam - helped in no small part by Sonalysts moving their collection to Steam, and all the great UbiSoft titles now on it.
    halkun wrote: »
    Steam is not free. Developers have to pay a sizable amount to get distributed though it. You also give up customer privacy as well. (Your customer data becomes property of Valve.) Use Greenhouse

My understanding was that Greenhouse was a digital delivery/content management system already an awful lot like Steam.

And no offense, but it only has one game I want on it, while Steam has (at last check) close to 100.

If I'm misunderstanding this, please correct me - but I definitely have no intention of adding to the list of things running in my task tray.

dderidex on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dderidex wrote: »

Less hassle than Steam? I can hardly imagine how that would be possible - Steam is really QUITE a joy to use. Almost every game I have is on Steam - helped in no small part by Sonalysts moving their collection to Steam, and all the great UbiSoft titles now on it.
    halkun wrote: »

My understanding was that Greenhouse was a digital delivery/content management system already an awful lot like Steam.

And no offense, but it only has one game I want on it, while Steam has (at last check) close to 100.

If I'm misunderstanding this, please correct me - but I definitely have no intention of adding to the list of things running in my task tray.

It doesn't run anywhere. You get the game from the website, install it and play it. Nothing in your task bar.

EDIT: A continuation of the point - # of games really can't be taken into account as this is the game that launched the system. Of course there's only one game for it right now.
    And of course you are not going to start your own digital distribution system and them put your game up on another one. That would be silly.

NotASenator on
    edited May 2008
    It's literally just a download and cut/paste a key if you decide to buy it. The game took me about 3 minutes to download. Yes it is that much easier to use than Steam.

Drool on
    edited May 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    It doesn't run anywhere. You get the game from the website, install it and play it. Nothing in your task bar.

Ah, that sounds good! Thanks. I just don't like a million little things running down there. OCD and all. :lol:
    NotACrook wrote: »
    EDIT: A continuation of the point - # of games really can't be taken into account as this is the game that launched the system. Of course there's only one game for it right now.
    And of course you are not going to start your own digital distribution system and them put your game up on another one. That would be silly.

Why not? Telltale Games did. The 'Sam and Max' series (both seasons, for something like 13 episodes total so far) was originally released on GameTap, which co-financed production of the games. It was later released on Steam - a content distribution system basically in competition with them.

dderidex on
    edited May 2008
    It's literally just a download and cut/paste a key if you decide to buy it. The game took me about 3 minutes to download. Yes it is that much easier to use than Steam.

To be fair, that's basically how Steam works, too (aside from the 'leaving it running' part), and the nice thing is that you can always download your entire library to whatever PC you have. 2 years after you buy the game you have a hard drive crash? No problem - just install Steam, and download your entire library again.

Out of curiosity - does Greenhouse offer something like this? Or is it 'download once, back up yourself' a la iTunes?

dderidex on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You don't download anything to download Rainslick. You just download the game then your profile and games owned is saved on the website.

Stop crying.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008

To be fair, that's basically how Steam works, too (aside from the 'leaving it running' part), and the nice thing is that you can always download your entire library to whatever PC you have. 2 years after you buy the game you have a hard drive crash? No problem - just install Steam, and download your entire library again.

Out of curiosity - does Greenhouse offer something like this? Or is it 'download once, back up yourself' a la iTunes?

You can download it a million times if you care too.

Drool on
  • MaratanosMaratanos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why not? Telltale Games did. The 'Sam and Max' series (both seasons, for something like 13 episodes total so far) was originally released on GameTap, which co-financed production of the games. It was later released on Steam - a content distribution system basically in competition with them.

Yes, but Telltale Games didn't co-found Gametap.

Maratanos on
  • yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Stop crying.
    Why are you such a douche?

There is nothing I hate more than people who make idiotic quips like "stop crying" or "stop whining" when they encounter people who don't act exactly the way they do.

yutt on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Because he iss whining over something stupid? I can understand if you had to download a Greenhouses client and have it running along side Steam but he doesn't. It iss just like downloading a demo off of Filefront. You download the game only and install it.

Regicid3 on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Because he iss whining over something stupid? I can understand if you had to download a Greenhouses client and have it running along side Steam but he doesn't. It iss just like downloading a demo off of Filefront. You download the game only and install it.

He didn't know that.

Djiem on
  • Das GanonDas Ganon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So You're saying its not like steam, but merely an online purchase and download effectively making it Retail sans disk.

In which case i'll use steam to shortcut it. Ha! now i beat the system.

Das Ganon on
    darth_ganon.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love how the first two responses had Steam signatures.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Suds wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I love Steam. I just don't feel the need to get all my games through Steam.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Phanman wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I love Steam. I just don't feel the need to get all my games through Steam.

Then you are doing it wrong!

Actually, I love buying everything through Steam, but I made an exception in this case. Competition in the digital distribution world is a good thing. It just makes me sad that I cannot buy them all on one platform. Steam and Greenhouse have their pros and cons. Both, however, are easy to use. Win.

Shens on
  • 1 X 11 X 1 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    That dderidex guy spent enough time posting/replying on here to have gone to the greenhouse site and found out for himself.

1 X 1 on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    Phanman wrote: »

Then you are doing it wrong!

Actually, I love buying everything through Steam, but I made an exception in this case. Competition in the digital distribution world is a good thing. It just makes me sad that I cannot buy them all on one platform. Steam and Greenhouse have their pros and cons. Both, however, are easy to use. Win.

I'd say competition is evidenced in the fact that you can't buy every game via Steam.

Though, I've only ever seen the Steam overlay fail on one game (Sins of a Solar Empire stopped rendering text), so, it's not a huge fuck-off deal if a game doesn't come via Steam -- shortcut it and rock rock on.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yutt wrote: »
    Stop crying.
    Why are you such a douche?

There is nothing I hate more than people who make idiotic quips like "stop crying" or "stop whining" when they encounter people who don't act exactly the way they do.

Stop crying/whining.

Jazmeister on
  • antichrisantichris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I vote with my wallet.
    I hate gamestop.
    So I don't buy things from them if at all possible, even if I have to pay more/wait longer.
    But that is personal preference.

antichris on
    "Everything was going great - That is, until he fought the devil."
    My name is antichris, and I approve this message.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    What, exactly, is "Greenhouse"? I ignored the pre-release hype and was surprised to NOT find a Steam-esque downloader architecture.

I don't care - and snicker deeply at those that are inclined to not purchase not-steam products - but I am not understanding what "Greenhouse" is supposed to mean.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • ZhirzzhZhirzzh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Errrmm.... It's the site that sells the game...

Zhirzzh on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    What, exactly, is "Greenhouse"? I ignored the pre-release hype and was surprised to NOT find a Steam-esque downloader architecture.

from www.playgreenhouse.com

I don't care - and snicker deeply at those that are inclined to not purchase not-steam products - but I am not understanding what "Greenhouse" is supposed to mean.

What is Greenhouse?

The Greenhouse is a game store brought together by Penny Arcade and Hothead Games. It launched in April 2008 to support the launch of our first title, Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. We have bigger plans, but we're not ready to talk about them yet.

How does it work?

At www.playgreenhouse.com, you can buy games and download them. The first time you play a game, there is a one-time Internet authentication - after which you’re good to go. If you register with Greenhouse - which is completely optional - we'll keep you in the loop for offers and updates.

What makes Greenhouse different from other services?

Greenhouse is developer-friendly, offering both technical flexibility and know-how to indie developers seeking assistance. Digital Distribution often focuses on “monetizing the back catalogue," but we believe that interesting, new games are being made all the time, by people who deserve your attention. We'd like to be the venue for those games.

What platforms/systems does Greenhouse work with?

Anyone with a PC (running Linux®, Windows® XP or Windows Vista™) or Mac® (running OS 10.4) can access the Greenhouse store at www.playgreenhouse.com.

took about 5 seconds to find that info

Drool on
  • The_YeorinatorThe_Yeorinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, so every time I try and purchase the game off greenhouse, it tells me my transaction was declined and to check my entered info. All of it is correct; I've quadruple checked it!

Wtf? :\

The_Yeorinator on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    took about 5 seconds to find that info

See but to me a HTTP served installer file and a backend that emails me a serial number doesn't really constitute a "service", well, not in the way I was imagining it.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited May 2008
    Like any game store it provides you with a video game in exchange for payment.

Drool on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's just a digital distribution service at the moment, as much as service for potential developers as it is for customers. Nothing 'special' but it's a set of infrastructure that I imagine would come in handy if you're a small game dev team that doesn't want to reinvent the wheel to get your game out there.

devoir on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dderidex has four posts on this entire forum, and they're all in this thread. Either he's an obsessive Steam Fanboy, or a Plant.

Or both.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Tom Frances of PC Gamer suggested that it was a reference to people in glass houses throwing stones (Game critics making a game).

In the circumstances, though, Penny Arcade are "Stone throwers building a glass house". Right?

Jazmeister on