As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAA] On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One now on Steam!

vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
header.gif

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness is an episodic RPG-Adventure game set in a deranged comic-book-meets-pulp-horror universe. Armed with unconventional weaponry, you join forces with the Startling Developments Detective Agency to make war on bizarre enemies and solve the mysteries hidden deep in the sinister heart of New Arcadia.

From the hilarious and twisted minds of Penny Arcade creators Mike ‘Gabe’ Krahulik and Jerry ‘Tycho’ Holkins, legendary game designer Ron Gilbert and veteran producers at Hothead Games comes a 100% authentic and hilarious Penny Arcade experience.

All episodes of On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness are available for download on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Windows, Mac and Linux.

This thread is for the discussion of the game new released on the PC and XBL Arcade, it throws you into the role of a man who has recently lost his home due to a... unexpected disaster. You team up with Gabe and Tycho in a 1920/30s-styled New Arcadia world to find out and stop whatever destroyed your home. The game features cel-shaded graphics and the humour and artstlyle we've all come to know and love with some steampunk and H.P Lovecraft influences thrown in.

Episode 1 was released on May 21st, 2008 on Xbox LIVE Arcade for 1,600 MS points(USD$19.99), and on Windows, Mac or Linux for $19.95. There is a demo available for PC/Mac/Linux and Xbox 360 which can be upgraded to the full game.

Links!

http://www.playgreenhouse.com/featuredGame - Demo and where you can purchase the full game for PC/Linux/Mac

http://www.gamershell.com/news_51094.html - Alternative demo link.

http://www.rainslick.com/ - Game's main webpage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Arcade_Adventures:_On_the_Rain-Slick_Precipice_of_Darkness - Wiki Article about the game

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/penny-arcade/achievements/ - 360 Achievements for the Game

Screenshots!

s31793_pc_54.jpg
s31793_pc_50.jpg
s31793_pc_52.jpg
s31793_pc_55.jpg
Trailer!

Now... discuss! I have almost beaten the game myself and I am throughly enjoying it. Love the humour and art and combat myself. Some of the achievements are giving me some trouble, but, I should have the game beaten by tonight I think. It's not very long unfortunately, I think 8-10 hours was a bit of stretch. I still find it worth it though.

Sob24Nm.png
Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
vegeta_666 on

• Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there a demo of this game on the Marketplace, it might be a while until I can score enough Microsoft Points to buy this.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes. Covers the Tutorial section.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Is there a demo of this game on the Marketplace, it might be a while until I can score enough Microsoft Points to buy this.

Yes, there is a trial which like most XBL trials gives you the option to buy the full version when you finish it, I'll put this info into the OP.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome, I'll check it out later.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's a damn shame that a size issue prevents this from being on WiiWare.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is a fun game, guys

YaYa on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've played about a half-hour of it myself. It's fun so far.

On the one hand, I don't know if it's worth $20. On the other hand, I'd buy it on principle even if it was a complete piece of shit. :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm a couple hours in. It's fun, but only worth $20 if you're a fan of the comic. Which you probably are.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's kinda like a more expensive, higher production value version of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, the CRPG of forever and ever.

It's worth a looksie.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    This is a fun game, guys

This isn't a fun game, it's a funny game, the actual fighting itself is tedious and uninspired.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is the next game I beat after GTAIV.

Then onto Oblivion: GOTY

This is why I don't get out at all during the summer.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Made even stupider that it's not on PS3.

That's right...I went there.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is a fun game, guys

This isn't a fun game, it's a funny game, the actual fighting itself is tedious and uninspired.

What? Once you get to Hobo Alley it's all Super Mario RPG from there.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Played through and beat it, thoroughly enjoyed it, and I was ranked 86 on the leaderboards for a very short time (i'm sure i'm not there now). I'm working on my second playthrough (this time with a female character) to try to unlock more of the achievements.

Spoilers ahead.
    Beating the last boss without using healing items is going to be freaking hard. I don't see myself having trouble beating it without anyone dying now that I'm very familiar with the combat system.

I love the realish time combat system, it's great. Learn to block! It will save your hide.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Best main menu of a game since Metroid Prime. Fact.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

They could always port it to SCUMM.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't get this game. Why should I care about these gabe and tycho guys? Why the hell am I fighting with a rake?

Why in gods name are machines engaging in lewd acts with fruit?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The demo just gives me a black screen :?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The demo isn't exactly a stunning piece of salesmanship. It's like, hey! come and play the shitty tutorial bit of our game.

Rook on
  • Options
    TrukkleTrukkle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh god, everything was fun until these guys:
    thisimageleadstothedarkside.jpg

The jump in difficulty is tremendous.
    I've managed to kill the hobo a couple of times thanks to his weakness to firearms, but trash is supposedly only weak to special attacks, and I think that that's a lie too as even fully charged specials only do half damage.

On a positive note, everything up to this point has been fun.

Easteregg spoiler and some speculation because of it:
    Anyone rolled a 20 on the d20 in the Agency?
    roll.jpg

Mores interesting from a game mechanics point of view, has anyone managed to roll a 1?
    Every time it does for me, it instantly re-rolls (looks a little like the die stutters) and shows both numbers overlapped. Could this be giving away something about how all numbers are generated?

Trukkle on
    trukkle.png :|:...:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played the demo and I liked it a lot, but I can't see a damn thing on my SDTV. Anyway to fix that in the full game?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    swancswanc Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I'm unsure which version to buy, XBLA or PC/Mac. Any advice? Any difference?

Swanc

swanc on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is a fun game, guys

I like it a lot more than regular old turn based battles.

Needing to click around, watch time gauges, watch baddies so you can block, do special attacks. It helps add a bit of a franticness. They've certainly done a lot better to make battles more involved compared to most turn based RPG's I've played.

I suppose if you don't like RPG's at all then your complaint is for the entire genre barring a couple exceptions.

edit: I think the game IS fun.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All three versions are feature identical.

The PC and Mac versions have very low requirements for such a good looking game and run well.

The interface is different for the XBLA version to accommodate lack of mouse support, which the PC and Mac versions rely on heavily.

The graphics look hot in super high res on a PC though.

Im playing it on my macbook pro and it runs silky smooth at the highest end of the graphics.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HazukiSanHazukiSan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is pretty cool, genuinely funny but damn the difficulty jump!

HazukiSan on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    swanc wrote: »
    I'm unsure which version to buy, XBLA or PC/Mac. Any advice? Any difference?

Swanc

Yeah, the PC/Mac/Linux version is on your computer while the XBLA version is on your Xbox 360.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HazukiSan wrote: »

Those trash can things are an aberation, their dificulty jumps up, then it comes back down to how it was before, and progresses incrementaly from there. don't let them break the deal for you, they're such a small part of the game.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »

Those trash can things are an aberation, their dificulty jumps up, then it comes back down to how it was before, and progresses incrementaly from there. don't let them break the deal for you, they're such a small part of the game.

I've only fought one trashcan so far but it wasn't hard at all. Maybe I just need to find some more, eh?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    pixiepixie Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    This is totally worth $20.
    Why?
    Because you GET TO KILL MIMES.

As a founder of the Anti-Mime Coalition, this game has won a special place in my heart. :o

pixie on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Strikerkc wrote: »

I've only fought one trashcan so far but it wasn't hard at all. Maybe I just need to find some more, eh?

Na, it probably just means you've goten a hold of the combat mechanics. I think they're the first real enemy that starts to introduce genuine side effects for doing damage, and weaknesses and resistances.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Trukkle wrote: »

I've managed to kill the hobo a couple of times thanks to his weakness to firearms, but trash is supposedly only weak to special attacks, and I think that that's a lie too as even fully charged specials only do half damage.

roll.jpg

Mores interesting from a game mechanics point of view, has anyone managed to roll a 1?
    Every time it does for me, it instantly re-rolls (looks a little like the die stutters) and shows both numbers overlapped. Could this be giving away something about how all numbers are generated?

How do you change your characters hair color?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the narrator hard. Perfect, perfect casting. Though he seems to be around less after the tutorial (which sucks). The opening line is brilliant.

I like the plot and writing enough to give this one a go, but the combat system is pretty crap, so getting the next installment is all dependent on how annoying the combat is w.r.t the enjoyable parts of the game. I given up on "working" for the parts of games I enjoy.

But this isi coming from a guy who doesn't like JRPGs any more so I'm not the target market for the genera. Just wish it was more point'n'clicky.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

roll.jpg

How do you change your characters hair color?

When you're changing your hair for the character there's a little colour swatch above that you can click on to change it. You can do the same for a couple of other things as well.

Rook on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In order to make the trash cans much easier and more manageable I used the defense lowering items on them. It's not like you don't get a lot of items.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

They could always release it retail after a bunch of episodes has been released, like with Sam & Max.

Also, we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to this game, though it is towards the bottom of the forum index.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Also, we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to this game, though it is towards the bottom of the forum index.

This thread has mod approval. Besides, not everyone pays enough attention to know there IS a sub-forum for this game. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

This thread has mod approval. Besides, not everyone pays enough attention to know there IS a sub-forum for this game. :P

But most of the questions asked here would be answered easily by a trip over there... I think this should stay a discussion of... well... I don't really know what it should stay a discussion of. Considering the other forum... but I -do- like the opening post. I donno... seems to be a pretty good discussion going about what we like/don't like about the game.

Once you get the combat down it's quite fun to fly through enemies.
    If you watch the hp bars for the enemies, you can hit block when it flashes to know when to block certain attacks. The mime 'Pretend I have a lasso' one wrecks me every time, but most of the others I can counterattack now.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    TrukkleTrukkle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've not noticed a block button, or action, and I'm pretty anal about following tutorials. When/how?

Trukkle on
    trukkle.png :|:...:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I've not noticed a block button, or action, and I'm pretty anal about following tutorials. When/how?

It mentioned it during the tutorial, but you hit the spacebar when the enemy is about to pull off their attack. Their health bar will flash white when you're supposed to hit it. It will take a bit to learn when to hit it for each attack from each enemy but once you do you'll reduce the damage and/or counterattack.

edit: this is for the PC version, no idea what button you'd hit on the XBLA version.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

It mentioned it during the tutorial, but you hit the spacebar when the enemy is about to pull off their attack. Their health bar will flash white when you're supposed to hit it. It will take a bit to learn when to hit it for each attack from each enemy but once you do you'll reduce the damage and/or counterattack.

edit: this is for the PC version, no idea what button you'd hit on the XBLA version.

Right trigger for the XBLA version.

Also, just beat the game and I can't wait for the next one. I will definitely play it once more though, try to grab Immortal and find all the collectibles.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png