As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAA] On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One now on Steam!

• Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe he visits warez forums, where everyone is whining about that bug.

Fuga on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Maybe he visits warez forums, where everyone is whining about that bug.

If thats true, then he knows of ones I don't, apparently

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No, it's true, I just went to one and they are talking about this, btw, the fix apparently doesn't even need a crack, just editing some files

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It might be true for some, I've only seen one person anywhere say they had that specific problem. It certainly isn't 100%, though.

edit: Ahh, I see. The first crack that came out had error 666, the one that fixed that has the fortune teller bug.

Good on you, hothead. You did a pretty damn good job screwing up pirates :)

Raslin on

• Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If this were 100% caused by pirated software why does it happen on XBL and why did I not change a damn thing but start over again and the bug didn't happen? o_O

Aceed on
  • Options
    Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aceed wrote: »
    If this were 100% caused by pirated software why does it happen on XBL and why did I not change a damn thing but start over again and the bug didn't happen? o_O

It's pretty simple - there are a number of things which can cause it, one or some of which can happen on the XBLA version, but one thing that is absolutely guaranteed to trigger it is the crack for the PC version.

Dayvan Cowboy on
  • Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    khoo wrote:
    the crack right now 100% of the time breaks it.

Ah, I read Khoo's post wrong. I thought he was saying 100% of the time it was caused by a crack.

Aceed on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    and I honestly don't know where he gets that info, especially the 100% part. There is the crash when trying to enter pelican bay error(error 666), which was fixed both by players and later by another crack. From my sources, i've only heard of the error to enter pelican bay, and not heard one unscrupulous person say they had the pre-broken teller.

Basically, I'm saying I don't know where he gets his info and I think he's mistaken with error 666.

He's probably getting that information from the developers themselves. That said, developers can be mistaken. :)

Additionally, it would not surprise me in the least if the 1st crack always had this error but subsequent releases did not. Pirates can be a sneaky bunch. :(

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    darknessKri3hReaverdarknessKri3hReaver Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Brinkman wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    Penny-Arcade works best with clever dialogue and humor. A mindless shooter or platformer wouldn't do the job.

ever play the recent Castlevania games? they have dialog through the whole game.

Well perhaps with all the optional dialouge, being able to talk to people and click on sorts of items in the environment for interesting observations, I think this works best in a 3D world, also I think overall a 3D world is more fun to play in than a 2D world :/ , feels alot better with something story driven, and with an episodic game thats not too long to begin with..

Post #1 Hello all!

darknessKri3hReaver on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, fortune teller at pelican bay wants to be entertained by the barber shop quartet I just killed. Is this game-breaking?

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, fortune teller at pelican bay wants to be entertained by the barber shop quartet I just killed. Is this game-breaking?

No.
    Go find other quartets in the area. You have to kill them all to get three items. Then go back to her and be entertaining.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

No.
    Go find other quartets in the area. You have to kill them all to get three items. Then go back to her and be entertaining.

Yeah, I only found the one and now my way is blocked by a cataract or some shit, and I can't find anything else to do after the urinologist's quest besides buying the horn.

Edit: oh shit they spawned now. geez.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I bought it this morning, played a bit, then finished it this afternoon.

It was loads of fun. The dialog is funny, the cutscenes are awesome, the music is good, and the combat system is loads of fun.

After beating it, I have to say...
    I was pretty disappointed that it ended before actually wrapping up the events surrounding my house and the giant fruit fucker. But it was still a lot of fun, and it's left wide open for a sequel, so I don't mind. Easily worth the $20.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So I bought it this morning, played a bit, then finished it this afternoon.

It was loads of fun. The dialog is funny, the cutscenes are awesome, the music is good, and the combat system is loads of fun.

After beating it, I have to say...
    I was pretty disappointed that it ended before actually wrapping up the events surrounding my house and the giant fruit fucker. But it was still a lot of fun, and it's left wide open for a sequel, so I don't mind. Easily worth the $20.

That's because it's the first of four parts, I believe.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

No.

Yeah, I only found the one and now my way is blocked by a cataract or some shit, and I can't find anything else to do after the urinologist's quest besides buying the horn.

i want the victory sound from beating them as a .wav file.

So i can set it to my "shut down" sound.
    goOOoooOOOoD ByyyYyyyE

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mighty wrote: »

No.

i want the victory sound from beating them as a .wav file.

So i can set it to my "shut down" sound.
    goOOoooOOOoD ByyyYyyyE

http://www.zshare.net/audio/12912570da9da5f9/

Best I could do

Raslin on

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just beat this last night in one sitting. That was epic.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Last thing i done was
    the Shit Hole
    in hobo alley.
    I really loved the section when you pick out your room, and the boss battle was great too. I should really get back to this, before it becomes a backlog game.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So.. I've searched and come up with conflicting information...

Is this coming to the ps3 at all, or do i just need to get the pc version ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    So.. I've searched and come up with conflicting information...

Is this coming to the ps3 at all, or do i just need to get the pc version ?

Get the PC version, afaik there won't be a PS3 version.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The writing in this game is really, really funny. I'm almost done with my second playthrough and I'm probably going to go for a third just to see some of the funny moments again.
    Calling Gabe and Tycho assholes when you first meet them is hilarious. As is what Gabe says to the mimes outside the ruins of your house. And for some reason, every time I tell the Mime Pope "Your mom's a bitch!" I laugh.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The writing in this game is really, really funny. I'm almost done with my second playthrough and I'm probably going to go for a third just to see some of the funny moments again.
    Calling Gabe and Tycho assholes when you first meet them is hilarious. As is what Gabe says to the mimes outside the ruins of your house. And for some reason, every time I tell the Mime Pope "Your mom's a bitch!" I laugh.

Mime mime bo bime.

W2 on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So now this game is on Steam. Well that's freaking great, I would MUCH rather have purchased it on Steam and had it with the rest of my Steam games and gotten the achievements, but I figured since they were starting their own digital distribution network, there was no way it would ever show up there.

I wonder if there's some way to deactivate my current copy, get a refund, and buy again from Steam. :wink:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ravenlock wrote: »
    So now this game is on Steam. Well that's freaking great, I would MUCH rather have purchased it on Steam and had it with the rest of my Steam games and gotten the achievements, but I figured since they were starting their own digital distribution network, there was no way it would ever show up there.

I wonder if there's some way to deactivate my current copy, get a refund, and buy again from Steam. :wink:

Yea, this is pretty disappointing, considering I would have much rather had it on Steam and they said that it would never be on there.

tofu on
  • Options
    steeefsteeef Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also peeved RE: unexpected Steam availability.

steeef on
    steeef.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Why would you rather have it on steam? Achievements?
    Achievements are stupid.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Achievements are stupid.

Achievements are stupid, I agree with you. But Steam is awesome and if I'm going to download a game, I want it with the rest of the games I have purchased downloaded. Might as well have them all in one easy to use location where I can access them from wherever I want. Now, I'd have liked to have bought it through Steam as well but I'm not really upset by the fact that when I bought it I didn't know there was a Steam option available. I'm really just glad they're expanding and giving people who otherwise may not have known about the game the opportunity to learn about and buy it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Because really, besides achievement, the only difference between having it on Steam and not is where you click to launch the game. No big deal.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Because really, besides achievement, the only difference between having it on Steam and not is where you click to launch the game. No big deal.

There is also the fact that the greenhouse version also allows you to play it on the mac and linux

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Achievements are stupid.

Achievements are good for a games's "replay value". Meaning once you've played a game, they give you a little incentive to go try something different your next time through.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Achievements are stupid.

I'd just rather have it on a more unified platform, that's all.

It seems to me that they knew a lot of people would want it on Steam but they denied it to give Greenhouse a boost.

tofu on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Not exactly...when you have a game on Steam your entire library is always available to you on any computer you own. I don't have to separately install a game on each computer I want to play it on, or go looking for the download site if I want to reinstall it again after a year or two. Steam solved these kinds of issues for me for when I have to move between my laptop for travel, and desktop for home.

It's a matter of convenience. I prefer all my digital distribution to be with the same service, who has a publicly stated commitment that if their system goes out of business, you'll get to keep all your games.

While I don't dislike Greenhouse games, they definitely don't bring anything to the table for me for game purchasing (unless they commit to only selling cross-platform games like PAA, which would be nice). I hope they don't go out of business anytime soon, but I'm pretty confident of Steam being around a while.

I don't really mind giving the Devs/PA a full cut of the proceeds, but I wish I'd known all my purchasing options before I made a decision.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, there's a PDF manual on Steam

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    they said that it would never be on there.

I don't think this is true.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

I recall reading the same thing, but I don't remember where, unfortunately. They may have not used the exact words, but the gist was that it wouldn't be on Steam.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You're right, I just did a quick forum search and it's not.

But it was heavily implied that Greenhouse would be it.

tofu on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Kind of, but not really. Every thing I've ever bought digitally (before this, obviously), I've done through Steam, and I love being able to install Steam and instantly download all my games to any computer, with background autopatching, awesome transfer speeds, etc. Plus I enjoy the Steam community features and use them to communicate with my co-workers and friends, so having the chat overlay behind the game and the XBox-Live-esque profile that tells people what I'm playing matters to me. The existence of stuff like the Steam Community makes it much easier to not have a 360 and still enjoy online gaming.

Lastly, the upcoming Steam Cloud service to store your config files and game saves server-side sounds totally awesome, and isn't offered by anybody else. Since PA Adventures (this and future episodes) is the sort of game I might well play on multiple computers, having my game saves synched between machines would be sweet.

Achievements are just sort of a bonus on top of all that other stuff that I care about. Greenhouse Games, while the process did work fine, doesn't offer any of that. Steam is a much more robust service, and I'd rather purchase my games through them.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I was at the PAX right about when they announced the game. During the first Gabe and Tycho Panel, someone asked them that since the game was going to be episodic, would it be released through Steam. I think it was Tycho who said something to the effect of "No, no, not through Steam" as if he found the idea slightly silly.

Though this was like almost two years ago. Things can change in that span of time (such as the PA comic being viewable through Steam.)

EDIT: Add me to the list of people who would have bought it through Steam, and are slightly miffed we didn't get that option.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I was at the PAX right about when they announced the game. During the first Gabe and Tycho Panel, someone asked them that since the game was going to be episodic, would it be released through Steam. I think it was Tycho who said something to the effect of "No, no, not through Steam" as if he found the idea slightly silly.

Though this was like almost two years ago. Things can change in that span of time (such as the PA comic being viewable through Steam.)

EDIT: Add me to the list of people who would have bought it through Steam, and are slightly miffed we didn't get that option.

So you're slightly miffed that they didn't scarifice a substantial chunk of their profits on the game for basically no reason. Understood.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    While I don't dislike Greenhouse games, they definitely don't bring anything to the table for me for game purchasing (unless they commit to only selling cross-platform games like PAA, which would be nice). I hope they don't go out of business anytime soon, but I'm pretty confident of Steam being around a while.

I'm still waiting for the other indie games that they promised they would release

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

So you're slightly miffed that they didn't scarifice a substantial chunk of their profits on the game for basically no reason. Understood.

Uh, I think he's miffed about being misled about where he could purchase the game.

Which is perfectly reasonable.

Understood?

tofu on