The Man Bible

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    'some trick' huh

This would be in reference to a girl who hits on guys for the sole purpose of getting free drinks.

so, yeah.

Nothing to do with implying she's a ho at all, right?

Nah.

I ain't saying she a gold digger...

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You mean I can't be an asshole while the girls throw their vaginas at me like in the animes?!?!?! D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Which is the stupid part.

Meeting and interacting with people is hard enough by itself. Why promote a culture in which it's ENCOURAGED to "game" someone and manipulate them through your actions so they'll do what you want or think of you in a certain light?

Because if you're not willing to play the game you don't deserve to win the prize.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Meeting and interacting with people is hard enough by itself. Why promote a culture in which it's ENCOURAGED to "game" someone and manipulate them through your actions so they'll do what you want or think of you in a certain light?

Because if you're not willing to play the game you don't deserve to win the prize.

Which (I'm going to use this to segue off a bit) is exactly the problem I had with the "Man Bible" - the entire thing is written in a prose which essentially says "this is how you trick women in to having sex with you".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    You mean I can't be an asshole while the girls throw their vaginas at me like in the animes?!?!?! D:

You can if you do it right.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    'some trick' huh

This would be in reference to a girl who hits on guys for the sole purpose of getting free drinks.

so, yeah.

Nah.

If you exchange sexual favors for material rewards, doesn't that more or less make you a ho?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Adrien wrote: »
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

If you exchange sexual favors for material rewards, doesn't that more or less make you a ho?

There's no sexual favors going on, in this scenario the girl is only flirting with the guy for free drinks, not giving him a BJ.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

There's no sexual favors going on, in this scenario the girl is only flirting with the guy for free drinks, not giving him a BJ.

Which I have known guys to do. Alternatively capitalizing on the drunkenness of others to convince them to give away drinks.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

Which I have known guys to do. Alternatively capitalizing on the drunkenness of others to convince them to give away drinks.
    The better one is that this whole process has predictably been co-opted by marketing companies, by hiring attractive people to get people to buy expensive or specific drinks at bars for them and themselves at bars.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

The better one is that this whole process has predictably been co-opted by marketing companies, by hiring attractive people to get people to buy expensive or specific drinks at bars for them and themselves at bars.

My favorites were the Camel reps who would give you a pack of cigarettes, sign you up for neat free-shit in the mail, and not pretend to hit on you thus insulting your intelligence in the process.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's pretty funny when the beer girls throw beads at me to try and get me to drink their beverage and I salute them with my water bottle.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My favorites were the Camel reps who would give you a pack of cigarettes, sign you up for neat free-shit in the mail, and not pretend to hit on you thus insulting your intelligence in the process.

People like being hit on even if it's pretend hence strip clubs and Hooters.
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It's pretty funny when the beer girls throw beads at me to try and get me to drink their beverage and I salute them with my water bottle.

I thought beads meant you had to flash people, stupid companies are doing it wrong.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well I don't.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well I don't.

Yeah me either.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Mostly this just makes me incredibly paranoid and disgusted but I have standards.
    I thought beads meant you had to flash people, stupid companies are doing it wrong.

I actually saved them at one point as a joke for a girl I had dated for awhile but let's face it her clothes pretty much flew off half the time anyways.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Mostly this just makes me incredibly paranoid and disgusted but I have standards.

I'm pretty sure I've turned down more than a couple of girls who genuinely might have been interested in me but I was too cynical to believe I wasn't being hustled.

I probably missed opportunities to make friends overall because of that actually.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm pretty sure I've turned down more than a couple of girls who genuinely might have been interested in me but I was too cynical to believe I wasn't being hustled.

I probably missed opportunities to make friends overall because of that actually.

This has been a plague of mine, due to dealing with lots of assholes and people that turn on me as a kid.

By middle school I was so cynical that on two occasions I had flipped off girls who were wolf-whistling at me from cars, and my reaction to "So and so likes you" was "that's her problem."

In high school I mostly just stared at people who came up to me until they went the hell away.

Which I still do on occasion, but now it's mostly because I hate the locals as a default. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

Well that's an interesting distinction— I think flirting is definitely a form of sexual gratification. But that aside, the guy is buying the drinks because he thinks it might get him laid, and the girl knows that, so I think the distinction starts to become academic. Not that it makes her a prostitute, but if the word is "ho" I say it's close enough.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    One of the more worrisome things about the whole drink-buying thing is that it's basically "Hey baby why don't you buy me something that will make me lose my ability to make good decisions."

It is creepy in layers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well that's an interesting distinction— I think flirting is definitely a form of sexual gratification. But that aside, the guy is buying the drinks because he thinks it might get him laid, and the girl knows that, so I think the distinction starts to become academic. Not that it makes her a prostitute, but if the word is "ho" I say it's close enough.

I'd call her an opportunist, not a ho. A ho denotes at the very least exposed genitals to me, though depending on the flirting it could vary, such as she's basically dry humping him.

But it's all semantics.

Kagera on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    One of the more worrisome things about the whole drink-buying thing is that it's basically "Hey baby why don't you buy me something that will make me lose my ability to make good decisions."

It is creepy in layers.

Calling it creepy is a bit of a stretch. Its a bar. People drink alcohol for reasons.

geckahn on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

Meeting and interacting with people is hard enough by itself.

It is hard? o_O
    Why promote a culture in which it's ENCOURAGED to "game" someone and manipulate them through your actions so they'll do what you want or think of you in a certain light?

We went over this before Medopine. Only very specific subsections of the "culture" promote active manipulation. There are many schools of thought that instead promote honesty and genuine intentions, and being forthcoming about them.

This isn't about faking to be a certain kind of person or to have certain qualities so the girl sees you in a certain light she otherwise wouldn't. This is about learning to actually have those qualities, to be that person - or rather, be that version of yourself.

It may sound like semantics but for some people - me, for instance - it is a very important distinction to make.

ege02 on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "It's like shooting fish in a barrel."

:lol:

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

It is hard? o_O
    Why promote a culture in which it's ENCOURAGED to "game" someone and manipulate them through your actions so they'll do what you want or think of you in a certain light?

We went over this before Medopine. Only very specific subsections of the "culture" promote active manipulation. There are many schools of thought that instead promote honesty and genuine intentions, and being forthcoming about them.

This isn't about faking to be a certain kind of person or to have certain qualities so the girl sees you in a certain light she otherwise wouldn't. This is about learning to actually have those qualities, to be that person - or rather, be that version of yourself.

It may sound like semantics but for some people - me, for instance - it is a very important distinction to make.

Well, then why do you call it "pickup culture"?

Why do you need to take classes from other guys? Why do you post on sites like SeattleLair talking about HB9's and what happens when another guy tries to move in on your "set" while you're in the bathroom? (Oh it's shocking I know, but yes I have browsed that site and others in order to try to understand why this PUA thing exists).

Honestly, self-improvement which leads to confidence which leads to better interactions with strangers and people of the other sex - there's nothing wrong with that! Why do you need to entangle seduction and getting laid with that self-improvement?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

It is hard? o_O

Well, then why do you call it "pickup culture"?

Why do you need to take classes from other guys? Why do you post on sites like SeattleLair talking about HB9's and what happens when another guy tries to move in on your "set" while you're in the bathroom? (Oh it's shocking I know, but yes I have browsed that site and others in order to try to understand why this PUA thing exists).

Honestly, self-improvement which leads to confidence which leads to better interactions with strangers and people of the other sex - there's nothing wrong with that! Why do you need to entangle seduction and getting laid with that self-improvement?

Because it's not actually about self-improvement and no one actually thinks it is, self-improvement is a means to an end, and that end is what it's actually about. Self-improvement is also a convenient justification, because only a total jerkface could oppose self-improvement.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Calling it creepy is a bit of a stretch. Its a bar. People drink alcohol for reasons.

My fondest wish is for bars to start phasing out beer and replacing it with coffee drinks. I can understand someone wanting enough self-medication to take the edge off, but when it starts altering their behavior rather than simply letting them drop the muscle tension a bit... D:

The whole culture of having inhibitions that you don't actually want saddens me deeply.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

My fondest wish is for bars to start phasing out beer and replacing it with coffee drinks. I can understand someone wanting enough self-medication to take the edge off, but when it starts altering their behavior rather than simply letting them drop the muscle tension a bit... D:

The whole culture of having inhibitions that you don't actually want saddens me deeply.

Aren't people caffeinated enough?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aren't people caffeinated enough?

It can be decaf.

But at 2am after a night of sooo much dancing a stimulant may be better for ensuring your ability to get home than a depressant, I'm thinking.

I mean I guess you could have an all-night smoothie bar too.

I mostly just want to be able to dance at a night club with people who are fully developed but who do not smell of yeast leavings.

Also it would be really rad if I could like make out with someone there and not get slapped for it the next weekend.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    'some trick' huh

so, yeah.

Nah.

Heh, you kids are flirting with the 'marriage as institutionalised and concealed whoring' concept. I mean, what you're saying is easily extended to the trad model of dating, where the dude exchanges trinkets for sex and the girl trades sex for protection/social boostage, and its not far from there to traditional marriage. Very feminist of you!

But seriously its interesting that the less deep a sexual relationship is the more it resembles a transaction :o I think its one of those things that you either stop caring about (because hell, pretty much every human interaction is a transaction of some sort) or you turn into a bitter git.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Quit freaking out. Buying a girl a drink doesn't often equal trying to get a girl drunk, you severely overestimate the power of alcohol and severely underestimate the intelligence of women.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Heh, you kids are flirting with the 'marriage as institutionalised and concealed whoring' concept. I mean, what you're saying is easily extended to the trad model of dating, where the dude exchanges trinkets for sex and the girl trades sex for protection/social boostage, and its not far from there to traditional marriage. Very feminist of you!

But seriously its interesting that the less deep a sexual relationship is the more it resembles a transaction :o I think its one of those things that you either stop caring about (because hell, pretty much every human interaction is a transaction of some sort) or you turn into a bitter git.

What more is interesting is that, socially, the only thing it's acceptable to exchange for sexual gratification is the sexual gratification of the other party.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    What's so interesting about that?

It's called...having sex?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What's so interesting about that?

It's called...having sex?

Seriously.

This like finding playing tennis with someone in exchange for playing tennis "interesting."

It's a mutual fun-time happy good time shared activity. That's the point.

Although emotional gratification is in there too.

--

VC: My perspective may be colored by Fresno being infamous for its high level of drunkenness. :P

That said, I don't see a reason to buy a stranger something as an opening gesture unless you see them frowning at their empty wallet. Doesn't set the tone for a relationship that I'd care to be involved in.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I really hate that ad. There's nothing good in it.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The little girl is made up like she has an appointment with a Pedo Bear.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    Good dating advice really is hard to come by. I met this lawyer chick on a dating website and shot her an email. She agreed to a date and said to pick her up by 12:00 on Sunday, only I didn't get her email and missed the time. Now I can't seem to be able to contact her again, and the address she gave me is useless. What the hell is F in Little Italy? Never using Love Meet again.

And I'm totally stuck, now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    VC: My perspective may be colored by Fresno being infamous for its high level of drunkenness. :P

That said, I don't see a reason to buy a stranger something as an opening gesture unless you see them frowning at their empty wallet. Doesn't set the tone for a relationship that I'd care to be involved in.

Yeah because Columbus and Oxford don't drink much at all. Buying a drink out of nowhere before even saying hi would be weird but shit I buy strangers drinks all the time, especially if there's a minimum for credit-cards. If you've got a bunch of people drinking and conversing and hanging out maybe shooting pool or seeing bands why not? They always come back for me anyway, cuz everybody's all buying eachother drinks and stuff. Maybe we're just better at drunkenness than you. The creepy comes from things other than the act of buying somebody a drink.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I dunno...that brownie sundae sure looks chocolatey and delicious :P

BigBear on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pitchers of PBR are beneficial to these situations.

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.