As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scribbings of a 23 year old 13 year old

KnaveMurdokKnaveMurdok Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Artist's Corner
drainage1jc5.jpg

destiny1ap8.jpg

20201xo9.jpg

harderpr0.jpg

I am Knave Murdok, and this is my comic, this is my first ever attempt at making a webcomic.
There is no story thus far, each page is it's own story, although I won't bar myself from exploring continuity in the future.

Critique is wanted and welcome
Thanks for your support, it means a lot to this up and coming artist.

KnaveMurdok on

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Sir, this is an art critique forum and not a billboard for webcomics.

If you want critiques on the art of the comic, please post art from it in the thread directly, rather than linking to it.

If all you want is hits for the comic, you are in the wrong place.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pardon me, I didn't realize, although critique might be nice as well.

Is there a more appropriate part of the forum to advertise?

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Not really, no.

It's one thing if someone who posts as part of the community has a link to a comic in their sig, or if they post their comic for art crits, and people go and check out their site on their own without being hawked to.

It's another thing if someone signs up explicitly just to hawk something, quite possibly just to jet off right after. It's annoying and it's spam, and it won't be tolerated.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I had no intention of jetting, I was kind of hoping to stick around these forums, I've been reading it off and on for about a year but have only just now signed up.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So what's it going to be, are you going to post the comic's art up there or not? Otherwise I may have to lock the topic.

Also, if you've been reading these forums for a year, I have to wonder have you read the rules yet?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Attaboy. :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have to wonder have you read the rules yet?

I guess because I'm an idiot? :-P
    I dunno, I've only ever picked and chosen random threads to follow, and was not really thinking about becoming involved, until now that is, because I feel like I have something to share finally.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OK,
    Welcome.

Who is NakedZergling?

Why NakedZergling is the guy who hates everything and rarely proofreads his posts or uses punctuation.

The art is not that great, but it it looks typical of someone starting to learn to draw. If you practice every day, and listen to the advice you get here and from other real artists you meet, i think you'll be fine. It looks like you have a good start, just keep it up.

The 2 ideas you have here are decent. They don't seem very web comic to me, as i usually imagine web comics being 4-5 panels at most, but thats neither here nor there. They look more like single comic book pages, and that fine.

The problem....is the execution. The comic book page thing is fine, but you need to do some thumb nails first, and lay out where each panel is going to go. The second comic is a god dammed mess. The lines slant, who knows where the hell you need to read next.
    for this to work as a web comic it could be broken down to basics.

panel1
    "no face" holding pic, tapping face, looking upset,

panel 2
    "no face" in shadows behind human guy

panel 3
    the big reveal of "no face's" new face

I understand the desire to get detail and tell a story, but thats not really a web comic, thats more a comic book, which is cool too.

good luck.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yes, when I'm laying out these panels, often times I don't realize they are slanting until I've scanned them, even when I used a ruler I feel like I slip up, what would you suggest I do to remedy this? Is there a technique that you use?

Sloppy is kind of the feel I'm looking for, I can draw clean, but this is I guess not supposed to be about clean, the hurried pen stokes and the frantic lines are intentional.
    The question is, despite all this, do you think the point is getting across? I'm not looking to create Michaelangelo, or even Marvel, it's supposed to look frantic and desperate, I'm just wondering how well it works.

Perhaps you're right about the formatting though, I think that these will eventually end up in a book, but for now, they remain online, as a webcomic.
    Who knows, maybe I'll be the moron who revolutionizes the medium?

I HAD more comics posted, there were 4 on this page, but only two of them are showing up now :-/

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Frantic and desperate" may be a neat concept for some sort of fancy piece of art (and even then, only when it's well executed), but it's not something I'd personally want to see in a webcomic. Drawing clean lines that are easy to follow is the way to go, because no one really wants to waste more time than they need reading a comic.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've always found it amusing when people refer to themselves as 'up and coming ______'

iceberg on
  • Options
    Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited May 2008
    Blah blah blah ...

Sloppy is kind of the feel I'm looking for, I can draw clean, but this is I guess not supposed to be about clean ... blah blah blah ... it's supposed to look frantic and desperate, I'm just wondering how well it works.

Blah blah ... I think that these will eventually end up in a book,... blah blah ... I'll be the moron who revolutionizes the medium?

Blah blah blah

No offense mate but ... what the fuck?!?

Before you spend money on self publishing much less trying to find someone else to publish this you may wanna take a huge step back and drink a +35 Elixer of Reality.

Based on your post it is clear you are not trying to create a certain look ... youre just taking an easy way out ... you may well be able to draw clean comics but you dont wanna take the time to do it so youre tossing down sketches and calling it desperate and frantic.

Thats not gonna cut it man ... especially if youre thinking of putting these in a "book" ...

Give your audience some credit ... if it looks like you dont really care about the artwork why should we?

EDIT: and seriously ... "revoutionize the medium?" ... your "style" isnt any different then 99% of amature web comics out there other then its longer then 3 or 4 panels ... and none of them are ending up in a "book" if they stay the way they are

Castle_Builder on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    iceberg wrote: »
    I've always found it amusing when people refer to themselves as 'up and coming ______'

Oh, I'm gonna be a superstar, just you wait.

I actually do appreciate the criticism, it seems all to often people either just say "It's good" or "I don't get it" and just aren't able to articulate beyond that.
    I'm not sure what it meant by "the easy way out" though, because there certainly isn't an "out" involved here, and what I'm doing here isn't being done because I feel like it's easy.
    This is actually a bit of a different direction for me, which none of you realize simply because you are all just now meeting me, and don't know anything about my work before this.

I'm curious though, you say my work reminds you of 99% of other amateur web comics out there, do you have specific names? I personally have not run afoul of similar comics in the past, but to be honest, the last thing I want to be is someone who simply reminds people of someone else.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Starting a thread with a question about your mysterious identity should be against the rules.

beavotron on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dont understand why hes being told to draw a specific way. Nice clean lines? As in something similar to the PA comic?

Knave it would be nice to see you follow the form with your line rather than hatching in what ever direction you choose to create a tone. Old master drawings are a good place to look for an example of this.. or Just look at other comic artists that hatch.

You were joking around when you made the super star comment right?

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *sigh*

Well i should have seen this coming. You give advice to someone, and they throw back that all the shittiness you pointed out is their "style" and intentional and blah blah blah blah.

Why do these people say they want criticism? You have made up your mind that your comic is awesome and that you're the shit. But it's not and you aren't.

My prediction...more defense of his work leads to a big flaming PA AC beat down. Lets get it on!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't even understand how this is a comic, to begin with. Comics are either: a) funny/amusing or b) deep/profound. These are neither. They're definitely not funny. Drink my heart? Through a straw? From across the room? All that makes me want to do is take ten awkward steps away from you. If you're trying to be smart with these, then you're failing. Those kinds of comics should leave you with more questions than answers. You leave us with no questions and hardly any answers. The only conclusion I came to while reading this is "This kid must shop at Hot Topic."

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I dont understand why hes being told to draw a specific way. Nice clean lines? As in something similar to the PA comic?

Knave it would be nice to see you follow the form with your line rather than hatching in what ever direction you choose to create a tone. Old master drawings are a good place to look for an example of this.. or Just look at other comic artists that hatch.

You were joking around when you made the super star comment right?

Half joking/half just being hyper optimistic.

Thank you for the actual advice my friend, I will surely track down some of these old master drawings, do you have a ny place specific you would suggest I begin looking?
    *sigh*

Well i should have seen this coming. You give advice to someone, and they throw back that all the shittiness you pointed out is their "style" and intentional and blah blah blah blah.

Why do these people say they want criticism? You have made up your mind that your comic is awesome and that you're the shit. But it's not and you aren't.

My prediction...more defense of his work leads to a big flaming PA AC beat down. Lets get it on!

I'm pretty sure I'm awesome, as well as the shit, yet I haven't received so much criticism as I have just insults. If there was some actual advice I would consider following it.
    I mean, I COULD drink +35 elixir of reality, but what then?
    Yeah, I know this is a rough start, I know I am untempered and untamed and that these few pages in their current state probably aren't good enough to sell anything (which is why I'm showing them off for free)
    Wild insults DO come with the territory, I realize that, but throw some actual advice in there, and I'll modify it as my own in due time.
    iceberg wrote: »
    I don't even understand how this is a comic, to begin with. Comics are either: a) funny/amusing or b) deep/profound. These are neither. They're definitely not funny. Drink my heart? Through a straw? From across the room? All that makes me want to do is take ten awkward steps away from you. If you're trying to be smart with these, then you're failing. Those kinds of comics should leave you with more questions than answers. You leave us with no questions and hardly any answers. The only conclusion I came to while reading this is "This kid must shop at Hot Topic."

The reference may be lost on you, my friend.
    Have you seen/heard of the film "There Will Be Blood?"
    The comic is a parody of it's final scene.
    Even if you hate my comic, you should at least see the movie.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The less you have the harder you fight for it. Acquire more so you don't have to bark to be noticed but simply are instead.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I found this at artrenewal.org. I suggest going to a library and getting some books.

Michelangelo_Satyr-s_Head.jpg

you should change your attitude. Humility goes a lot further with getting people to help. I used to be like you so this whole thing is kind've amusing.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really did try to sympathize with you because I think it has potential, but you're trying to run before you can walk.
    Yeah, I know this is a rough start, I know I am untempered and untamed and that these few pages in their current state probably aren't good enough to sell anything (which is why I'm showing them off for free)

They aren't good enough to sell. I'm not saying this to put you down, but you have to understand where you are. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you don't, because you're already thinking about selling your work when it's not even close to ready. At this point, there is nothing this forum can criticize, because you're missing fundamentals. I don't know how old you are, but if you want a future career in art, you need to take classes, study and practice a lot, and possibly pursue an art degree.

TL;DR: You're trying to develop a style before you have a solid foundation. Style is something that comes naturally with time (and lots of it), not something you can force. Trust me on this one, draw from life, read books about the basics, take some classes.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I found this at artrenewal.org. I suggest going to a library and getting some books.

Michelangelo_Satyr-s_Head.jpg

you should change your attitude. Humility goes a lot further with getting people to help. I used to be like you so this whole thing is kind've amusing.

Do pardon, I'm not trying to sound like I'm not humble, I realize this is square one for me and I'm really appreciative of the advice of learned people.
    I like this picture a lot, by the by, I will surely seek out more, and perhaps become inspired.
    I really did try to sympathize with you because I think it has potential, but you're trying to run before you can walk.

They aren't good enough to sell. I'm not saying this to put you down, but you have to understand where you are. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you don't, because you're already thinking about selling your work when it's not even close to ready. At this point, there is nothing this forum can criticize, because you're missing fundamentals. I don't know how old you are, but if you want a future career in art, you need to take classes, study and practice a lot, and possibly pursue an art degree.

TL;DR: You're trying to develop a style before you have a solid foundation. Style is something that comes naturally with time (and lots of it), not something you can force. Trust me on this one, draw from life, read books about the basics, take some classes.

But I'm NOT thinking of selling it, not right now, like I said, I'm putting it up for free for this very reason. Perhaps someday down the line when I have some kind of experience, then maybe, "that will always be the dream" as they say.
    I am currently enrolled in college, going for a degree in studio art, this is my first year.
    I took a lot of arty type program things when I was a child, but this is my first step towards making this a more serious endeavor.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    For free???
    Well thank the fucking lucky stars i'm able to view your art for free. What an honor. Let me get on my knees that i can better service your cock! Thank you for giving me the honor to gaze upon your early masterpieces.

You're in college? i thought you were like 13.

You're attitude sucks. Arrogance is annoying on people who can actually back it up with talent. It's unforgivable coming from those with as little skill as you do.

Aside from your mommy, and maybe a neighbor or two, no one is going to pay money for your "art".
    Please die.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I am currently enrolled in college, going for a degree in studio art, this is my first year..

I just started Art School as well (technically going into my second year), what kind of program are you in for a degree in studio art?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Edward Gorey has that same sort of hurried "desperate" sketchy look. He does it wonderfully in my opinion. If that's a look you want to cultivate, I applaud that. But I don't think that the frames being askew the way they are in the Jesus pic works. If you want off-kilter then you need to push them more (in my opinion) otherwise take the time to make the boxes squareish and that rigidity won't diminish the otherwise sketchy look.

EDIT: Aw, man! Totp? I don't even ever really post in threads outside the photo thread. jeez.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    For free???
    Well thank the fucking lucky stars i'm able to view your art for free. What an honor. Let me get on my knees that i can better service your cock! Thank you for giving me the honor to gaze upon your early masterpieces.

You're attitude sucks. Arrogance is annoying on people who can actually back it up with talent. It's unforgivable coming from those with as little skill as you do.

Aside from your mommy, and maybe a neighbor or two, no one is going to pay money for your "art".
    Please die.

Jesus man, sorry, I'm really not trying to sound arrogant, but if that's how I seem to be coming off, then i do really apologize. I was quite grateful for the advice you gave me in your first reply before you started getting all nasty on me :-(
    But no, really, I do apologize for my attitude, if I came off as an asshole, it wasn't meant that way. Perhaps I don't take critique as well as I'd like to, but that's the whole reason I'm even here in the first place.
    I am currently enrolled in college, going for a degree in studio art, this is my first year..

I just started Art School as well (technically going into my second year), what kind of program are you in for a degree in studio art?

Just my local college, they have a fairly good art department. I thought it might be a good place for me to get my start, saving up credits for transfer or just seeing what type of oppurtunities present themselves.
    Edward Gorey has that same sort of hurried "desperate" sketchy look. He does it wonderfully in my opinion. If that's a look you want to cultivate, I applaud that. But I don't think that the frames being askew the way they are in the Jesus pic works. If you want off-kilter then you need to push them more (in my opinion) otherwise take the time to make the boxes squareish and that rigidity won't diminish the otherwise sketchy look.

EDIT: Aw, man! Totp? I don't even ever really post in threads outside the photo thread. jeez.

I LOVE Edward Gorey, and the way he draws.
    I'm a little flattered even that you'd invoke his name as a reference, If someday I can be even half as good as he is, then I'd consider my life worthwhile.
    But I think I'm beginning to understand what a lot of people here were saying before, that I need to lay down my groundwork around my fundamentals, which I'm just now starting to develop.
    Perhaps I'm rushing myself a little in attempting to create a "style" before I get my basics down, but whatever... I guess its good to fuck things up sometimes so you know what NOT to do down the line.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I LOVE Edward Gorey, and the way he draws.
    I'm a little flattered even that you'd invoke his name as a reference
    It's a bit obvious, not that that's a bad thing.
    But I think I'm beginning to understand what a lot of people here were saying before, that I need to lay down my groundwork around my fundamentals, which I'm just now starting to develop.
    Perhaps I'm rushing myself a little in attempting to create a "style" before I get my basics down, but whatever... I guess its good to fuck things up sometimes so you know what NOT to do down the line.
    This is the thing many, many people never understand about drawing. You don't just pull a style out of your ass. A style is an abstraction/distortion of reality. You can't begin to expect to develop one until you understand reality. Gorey illustrations may not be founded in realism but there is still a real quality to his figures and environments.

My advice for you would be to hold off on doing anything abstract until you have a solid (re: solid) idea of the world in your head. Don't expect this to happen over night, or even in the next few years. Since you're just starting in art school, make yourself a sponge instead of a brick.

iceberg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I suppose there was a purpose to my coming here after, I feel as if I've been brought down to earth a lil' bit.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help, and once again, if I came off as an asshole, or arrogant, that's TOTALLY not what I was going for and I do apologize.
    I will be sticking around here on these forums, afterall, I came here for reasons other than showing off my shit, so do expect to see more in the near future.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I suppose there was a purpose to my coming here after, I feel as if I've been brought down to earth a lil' bit.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help, and once again, if I came off as an asshole, or arrogant, that's TOTALLY not what I was going for and I do apologize.
    I will be sticking around here on these forums, afterall, I came here for reasons other than showing off my shit, so do expect to see more in the near future.

Please, whatever you do, please remove the title "Who is Knave Murdok?"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For free???

Please die.

What NakedZergling has cleverly done here is demonstrated the "unforgivable" portion of his claim. See how annoying it is to read something written by a total asshole? Yeah! It's a good thing that you have chosen to aim in a direction different than this, Knave!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    oh no! Trip is mad!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    oh no! Trip is mad!

What NakedZergling has cleverly done here is feigned a fearful reaction to my very emotionally-charged attack on him a post earlier, but in an obviously sarcastic way to suggest that even though I am abnormally outraged, my input has no effect here! This makes me feel small and inferior.

.Tripwire. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Please, whatever you do, please remove the title "Who is Knave Murdok?"

Aww, but I like that title :-/
    Whatever, I'm sure I'll come up with something that annoys you even more :-P

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps I don't take critique as well as I'd like to, but that's the whole reason I'm even here in the first place.

First step is acceptance and you seem to have gotten that, so kudos to you.
    The critiques here can be pretty harsh, and some people really get quite worked up and emotional about the whole process, but if you're willing to pick out the constructive critiques and work with them, you'll be well accepted here.

style will come naturally as you progress. I used to say that you can't really have a style until you know the basics of drawing. To some extent this is true, style develops as you develop artistically. It doesn't just appear one day once you've mastered the fundamentals, it also can't be forced, it just sort of occurs, so go with it!

edit: hahah thumbs up to the new title! You're being a good sport.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    Perhaps I don't take critique as well as I'd like to, but that's the whole reason I'm even here in the first place.

First step is acceptance and you seem to have gotten that, so kudos to you.
    The critiques here can be pretty harsh, and some people really get quite worked up and emotional about the whole process, but if you're willing to pick out the constructive critiques and work with them, you'll be well accepted here.

style will come naturally as you progress. I used to say that you can't really have a style until you know the basics of drawing. To some extent this is true, style develops as you develop artistically. It doesn't just appear one day once you've mastered the fundamentals, it also can't be forced, it just sort of occurs, so go with it!

edit: hahah thumbs up to the new title! You're being a good sport.

That's the very reason I came here, because I was expecting the criticism to be harsh.
    As I mentioned before, people I know in person who I show this stuff to either say "I like it" or "I don't get it" and they do NOT elaborate, it's quite frustrating actually.
    So yes, I'm grateful for the actual responses, I'm even grateful for the aggravated insults, as I am certain they will be coming in heavy truckloads as I progress.

Being a good sport is my middle name

Knave Being a Good Sport Murdok

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    oh no! Trip is mad!

What NakedZergling has cleverly done here is feigned a fearful reaction to my very emotionally-charged attack on him a post earlier, but in an obviously sarcastic way to suggest that even though I am abnormally outraged, my input has no effect here! This makes me feel small and inferior.

Don't get bent out of shape, ".Tripwire." You just got nothin' on my boy "Naked" here, who passes the day plowin' ladies' vaginas with his wolfy man-cannon. Pssshhhawww, step off, slipple-tits.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    why if it isn't my snaggletooth'd ursine compadre....

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Chip up, lady chipper-chuck. I got your number, you wanna head to the club and smack some girlies with the vodka and dr. roofies? *Chuckle*, I already know you be ready for the feel-goods I'm hustlin'.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    why if it isn't my snaggletooth'd ursine compadre....

What beavotron has cleverly done here is expressed a half-hearted sexual invitation veiled as friendly recognition in order to pacify her real-world desire to sleep with an animal.

.Tripwire. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yo, "Trip," e'erybody know I bagged that moist flapper last Yuletide.

CheerfulBear on