As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scribbings of a 23 year old 13 year old

2»

• Options
    KnaveMurdokKnaveMurdok Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    why if it isn't my snaggletooth'd ursine compadre....

What beavotron has cleverly done here is expressed a half-hearted sexual invitation veiled as friendly recognition in order to pacify her real-world desire to sleep with an animal.

I think I have the subject for my next comic...

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    why if it isn't my snaggletooth'd ursine compadre....

What beavotron has cleverly done here is expressed a half-hearted sexual invitation veiled as friendly recognition in order to pacify her real-world desire to sleep with an animal.

What tripwire has cleverly done here is ....shit i got nothing..you're more full of wit than I.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you're more full of wit than I.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you're more full of wit than I.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The_Haunted_Phonograph_Preview_by_herrdoktorknave.jpg

Here is panel one of the first page of the new comic, it's about a haunted phonograph :-/
    I took into account a lot of what I read here before I began this sketch.
    I did my damndest to draw straighter lines, and to take direction into account when hatching
    Are there any thoughts? What works? What doesn't work? If you coud kick me in the face and make me do it better, where would you start?
    Am I ready to be an internet celebrity like Mickey Avalon? Or am I doomed to settle for Jeffree Star status? :-(

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy hell, I tried to open your images from the 1st post in a new window (they weren't showing up) and was BOMBARDED with like 8 pop-up windows. What the hell kind of service are you using??

The latest piece (the only one I can see) shows some potential - the perspective of the box and record need work, though.

For instance:

Perspective.jpg

Corresponding color'd lines = relatively parallel lines.

When you're drawing something this small, you can pretty much get away with making the lines parallel...however, if you're doing something larger, like a house, or building (see image), the edges of things are going to go off to a point in the distance (see cube with blue lines)...which would be "single point perspective" or "one point perspective". The edges of the box are technically doing this anyway, but if you make the lines parallel, that's almost just as good.

And once you've got THAT down, here's how to draw a circle in perspective:

draw-a-perspective-circle.gif

Once you understand these principles, and have a strong handle on drawing, you should be able to do all this freehand. Currently, however, judging from your image, you may want to try actually incorporating these guidelines into your work. You can continue to cross-hatch everything, but getting the perspective down will just make the piece look that much better.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Holy hell, I tried to open your images from the 1st post in a new window (they weren't showing up) and was BOMBARDED with like 8 pop-up windows. What the hell kind of service are you using??

Just Image Shack, I'm not sure why it's behaving in such a way, though.

When you're drawing something this small, you can pretty much get away with making the lines parallel...however, if you're doing something larger, like a house, or building (see image), the edges of things are going to go off to a point in the distance (see cube with blue lines)...which would be "single point perspective" or "one point perspective". The edges of the box are technically doing this anyway, but if you make the lines parallel, that's almost just as good.

And once you've got THAT down, here's how to draw a circle in perspective:

Once you understand these principles, and have a strong handle on drawing, you should be able to do all this freehand. Currently, however, judging from your image, you may want to try actually incorporating these guidelines into your work. You can continue to cross-hatch everything, but getting the perspective down will just make the piece look that much better.

THANK you, I was having a hard time with the tray. I attempted doing something like this on my own, but the method you showed me here in much more in depth, and more effective looking.
    Again, thank you.

KnaveMurdok on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Just Image Shack, I'm not sure why it's behaving in such a way, though.

Actually, you're using "http://parasomnia.10001mb.com". I would suggest you stop using this.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Photobucket is simple and free. Give it a try.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ... If you coud kick me in the face and make me do it better, where would you start? ...

First I'ld work the nose with my heel untill it was nice and flat, then perhaps a few quick snaps to the eye socket.

Aside from the technical stuff ND posted your linework needs a lot of work. It looks forced and overthought. This is particularly evident on the outside curve of the phonograph.

Are you starting from a pencil sketch, then inking? or just ink. You might wanna think about pencils first if you are just inking.

Anways, make longer more confident strokes (confidence takes practice. Although reading through most of your posts, a lack of confidence doesn't seem to be a problem.) It looks like you scratched this out on wood or scratch board or something. Loosen up, let the lines flow. (I know all this sounds a little esoteric, but I don't know a better way to say it)

The best way to practice loosening up is to just draw stuff without worrying about how good it makes you look or the comic you're gonna use it in. Just draw for drawings sake. Do it as quickly as you can, as many as you can, and don't think too hard about the process.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    [IM G]http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs30/i/2008/150/e/a/The_Haunted_Phonograph_Preview_by_herrdoktorknave.jpg[/IMG]

Here is panel one of the first page of the new comic, it's about a haunted phonograph :-/
    I took into account a lot of what I read here before I began this sketch.
    I did my damndest to draw straighter lines, and to take direction into account when hatching
    Are there any thoughts? What works? What doesn't work? If you coud kick me in the face and make me do it better, where would you start?
    Am I ready to be an internet celebrity like Mickey Avalon? Or am I doomed to settle for Jeffree Star status? :-(

If I could kick you in the face, I'd tell you to stop drawing comics and start working on the fundamentals. Fantasy has a basis in reality, so learn to draw reality before you start shaking things up. It's unbelievable to me how drastically I improved taking a one-semester class where we drew from life instead of what we wanted to draw.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drainage_by_herrdoktorknave.preview.jpg

Destiny1_preview.preview.jpg

20201.preview.JPG

Harder.preview.JPG

I am Knave Murdok, and this is my comic, this is my first ever attempt at making a webcomic.
    There is no story thus far, each page is it's own story, although I won't bar myself from exploring continuity in the future.

Critique is wanted and welcome
    Thanks for your support, it means a lot to this up and coming artist.

I can't see any of your stuff, and good lord trying to visit the URLs for your images does not work:

http://parasomnia.10001mb.com/files/images/Harder.preview.JPG

Brolo on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    2529292513_bbf1f22867_o.jpg

this one ain't so bad

the rest are terrible. i'll echo everyone else in asking you to fix your fundamentals.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually, you're using "http://parasomnia.10001mb.com". I would suggest you stop using this.

Do'h, pardon me, I'm not sure if I'm coming or going these days :-/
    I fixed the first post

Aside from the technical stuff ND posted your linework needs a lot of work. It looks forced and overthought. This is particularly evident on the outside curve of the phonograph.

Are you starting from a pencil sketch, then inking? or just ink. You might wanna think about pencils first if you are just inking.

I usually do pencil with pen on top, but I suppose I SHOULD spend a little more time on the pencils.
    Anways, make longer more confident strokes (confidence takes practice. Although reading through most of your posts, a lack of confidence doesn't seem to be a problem.) It looks like you scratched this out on wood or scratch board or something. Loosen up, let the lines flow. (I know all this sounds a little esoteric, but I don't know a better way to say it)

The best way to practice loosening up is to just draw stuff without worrying about how good it makes you look or the comic you're gonna use it in. Just draw for drawings sake. Do it as quickly as you can, as many as you can, and don't think too hard about the process.

I do not lack confidence, even if I do lack experience :-P
    Combining the two and making it work for me would be the next logical step, I suppose.
    I AM trying for the scratchy look intentionally, I want the overall feel of this to be like an insane person drew it... but I also want it to look GOOD, so that's why I'm here.
    It's funny, in class today, we did the very lesson that Nightdragon posted, different types of perspective and whatnot. I made note to pay extra attention in class while working on this.
    I do have a sketchbook that random drawings that aren't for anything go in, but I tend not to scan/post those pictures anywhere.
    If I could kick you in the face, I'd tell you to stop drawing comics and start working on the fundamentals. Fantasy has a basis in reality, so learn to draw reality before you start shaking things up. It's unbelievable to me how drastically I improved taking a one-semester class where we drew from life instead of what we wanted to draw.

This bodes well for me, since my overall plan involves taking 45 units, I'm only now working on the first 6.
    I have every intention of kicking the butts of those classes, and getting everything I can out of them, so that by the time I'm done, I too may confidently proclaim that I too have improved. :-D

KnaveMurdok on