As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me weigh my options (Dead 360, buy an Elite?)

DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Alright, so my 360 just red-ringed today. Sometimes I can still turn it on and make it to the dashboard, most other times I get the rings. To me this means it's on it's way out, and soon, it won't boot at all.

I called Microsoft, the coffin will be sent this week.

I got the crazy idea in my head that while I am waiting, I'll just buy another 360. See? Told you it was crazy. A couple stores this week have a sale for $50 off a 360 purchased with GTA4. Now, I have yet to buy GTA4, and I want it very much. I also have a $50 gift card for Best Buy due to the HD-DVD player psuedo-refund. I consider this gift card free money, as I struck the HD-DVD train while it was hot (Heroes S1 HD free, 3 free HDs from Best Buy, 5 free from mail-in, included King Kong), so I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. So I look at it as $100 off total.

I'm in the middle of Oblivion, and have quite a few 360 games I'd like to continue playing. I won't be bored in its absense though as I have a DS, PSP, PS3, and Wii and not enough time to play everything. Still, my 360 is my favorite and most heavily played console.

I was toying with the idea of getting an Elite. $450+$60 (gta) - $100 = $410 plus tax. Minus whatever I could sell my current one for once I get it back - lets assume at least $200, while it is a Core, it comes with the 20GB drive, and a controller or two, along with some of my lesser played games. So my math would leave me around $200 out of pocket for an Elite and GTA4.

Is it worth it? Pluses would include larger hard-drive, HDMI, the newer/quieter/cooler chipsets. I also wouldn't miss a beat with my gaming habits and I could continue to watch my HD-DVDs.

Downsides of buying it would be unnecessary hassle and I'm spending more money for something I already technically have. While HDMI would be nice, I use VGA, and I doubt there is a big enough difference, especially on a 27" 720p TV.

Other issues, I have alot of Live Arcade games, but I know they will be fixing the DRM issue soon, so I could re-license my games to the new system without any problems (when will this be?). I do have a 64mb card, so even though the Elite doesn't come with a transfer kit, I should be able to migrate all my save games over - however in the process of getting it repaired, that would have to wait anyways - unless I could get it to boot again and do this, it's been on and off with the lights (EDIT: didn't think of it before, but I could just put my old HDD in the Elite, transfer to Mem Card, then put 120Gb HDD in and be set, so that wouldn't be an issue).

Is it worth it? Or should I just wait, focus on my other systems, and continue on as usual when I get it back? How about the console they fix, I know there is a chance they will fix my system, I also know they could just send some other refurbished systems. Is there any possibility that I'll get a system back that has HDMI and/or the newer chipsets (falcon?)? What about a Pro system, could I get a system back with the silver DVD tray? That doesn't matter to me, just curious.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
DHS Odium on

• Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would trade my launch 360 for an Elite with a new chipset/disc drive for 200 (I havent gotten RROD or total drive failure yet). If you can make that happen, I would do it. I dont know how much people are willing to pay for a refurb though.

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh, one other thing that might affect this whole thing. I bought the 360 when Gears of War came out, so like, November of 06 I think. I paid the $50 to get a 2 year extended warranty, when they bumped the standard warranty up to a year, I assume that added onto my purchased plan. So it's covered for everything, not just RRoD, until Nov of 09.

Can I either transfer that warranty to the new system (doubtful), or transfer ownership of that warranty to a potential buyer to sweeten the deal?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    where did you buy an "extended warranty" from?

it's not an extended warranty at a best buy, but it can be transferred

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's the warranty straight from Microsoft.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a PS3?

If not, buy a PS3, keep or sell the 360 when you get it back.

Either way you win.

If you do have a PS3 then the other option isn't terrible. New systems are much better at the RRoD, even though the disk drive issue can be a real killer.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a PS3?

Either way you win.

If you do have a PS3 then the other option isn't terrible. New systems are much better at the RRoD, even though the disk drive issue can be a real killer.

Yes I have a PS3, as noted in my OP. No I will not get rid of a 360. Please, no trolling in this thread.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Do you have a PS3?

Either way you win.

Yes I have a PS3, as noted in my OP. No I will not get rid of a 360. Please, no trolling in this thread.

You said other systems, not PS3. :P Also getting rid of shitty unreliable hardware for something that is reliable and an additional source of next gen media isn't trolling.

Though the sentence above this one could be.

Anyways, moot point. I like your first idea a lot. I think the DRM problem is all sorted out right now or they are very close to offering a patch or whatever that will fix it, so I think your buy an elite plan and trade the refurb is a good idea.

EDIT: I'm way too tired, you listed the systems! Reading is FUNdamental.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jeez dude, you have four other systems, have some patience.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Do you have a PS3?

Either way you win.

You said other systems, not PS3. :P Also getting rid of shitty unreliable hardware for something that is reliable and an additional source of next gen media isn't trolling.

Though the sentence above this one could be.

Anyways, moot point. I like your first idea a lot. I think the DRM problem is all sorted out right now or they are very close to offering a patch or whatever that will fix it, so I think your buy an elite plan and trade the refurb is a good idea.

EDIT: I'm way too tired, you listed the systems! Reading is FUNdamental.

Yeah I got you, you just don't normally have a lot lot of nice things to say in any thread dedicated to the 360. Mine was a pre-emptive strike. And I am using the death of this 360 as a possible excuse to secure a more reliable system. Though I still wonder the chances of getting a reliable system back from them.

As for patience, it's not that I won't keep myself busy with other systems, but all multiplatform games I buy are on the 360, I love the controller, achievement points, and Live too much. I hate the PS3 controller. That thing alone is enough to push any nonexlusive PS3 game to the 360's side for me. I have Rock Band on the 360, as well as GH2 and 3, so I do lose alot without having one around.

I can certainly survive the time, however the aforementioned sale, of getting an extra $50 with the purchase of a 360 and GTA4, is limited. I believe I have this week to cash-in on that.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, how does this sound. According to the Xbox website, the Arcade comes with HDMI, I didn't think that was a guarantee though, but it seems like it. In that case, the only difference as I see it from the Elite is the black color and a larger HDD. The larger HDD isn't a must for me, so far I've been fine with the 20GB, and I don't download alot of media, just all the free shit, and Live Arcade games. Also, it wouldn't come with HD cables, but as I said, I already have the VGA cables, and I have 2 HDMI cables for my PS# and cable box.

Also, the Arcade comes with games, Pac-Man CE included, something I've wanted for awhile, the rest of the Arcade games I don't have either except for UNO. So I could pay $280+$60-$100=$240. This is looking like a better idea provided I'm guaranteed HDMI and a newer, quieter, and more reliable system.

Downsides being then I'd have to sell my fixed 360 without a HDD, but I would have both a 64MB card, and a 256MB card, one of which I would keep.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you can buy extended warranties from microsoft?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »

Yep, when I bought it, inside the box was a pamphlet to call Microsoft, $50 for 2 years which covered any kind of failure (I believe it's $60 now). This was before the year extension, regular warranty was 90 days. Also before the 3 year extension for RRoD. I knew there would be trouble ahead and invested for the warranty.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, how does this sound. According to the Xbox website, the Arcade comes with HDMI, I didn't think that was a guarantee though, but it seems like it. In that case, the only difference as I see it from the Elite is the black color and a larger HDD. The larger HDD isn't a must for me, so far I've been fine with the 20GB, and I don't download alot of media, just all the free shit, and Live Arcade games. Also, it wouldn't come with HD cables, but as I said, I already have the VGA cables, and I have 2 HDMI cables for my PS# and cable box.

Also, the Arcade comes with games, Pac-Man CE included, something I've wanted for awhile, the rest of the Arcade games I don't have either except for UNO. So I could pay $280+$60-$100=$240. This is looking like a better idea provided I'm guaranteed HDMI and a newer, quieter, and more reliable system.

Downsides being then I'd have to sell my fixed 360 without a HDD, but I would have both a 64MB card, and a 256MB card, one of which I would keep.

A little bird told me that the Pro bundles with Forza 2 and MUA are back on store shelves so there is always that.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I owned and didn't like MUA, and Forza 2 I can get for $9 from the Microsoft employee site. Pac-Man CE is the bigger draw for me, but it's nice to know those are back on shelves.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I say go for the Elite...
    I didn't get the Xbox360 at all, I just got the Xbox360 Elite.

Honestly with all these stories of "RRoD! RRoD!!!" flying around, I just thought to myself "Well, why not just get an Elite just to get it over with?"...
    And yeah, I MISSED A TON OF GAMES when they came out (I didn't buy an Elite 'til Halo 3 came out)... but by the time I got my Elite, billions of RRoD stories have passed and I still sit here, with an ever-so-faithful Elite.

...well, I actually REALLY got it for these reasons:
    A) I was aiming for a Wii... all other systems come after
    B) I want the best of the best
    C) A white Xbox doesn't really suit me... I liked it when it was black.

Sooo... yeah... I mean, reason B is the same reason why I'm saving for an 80GB PS3... despite the fact that the PS3 may (or may not) come out with a 100 GB then a 120 GB... whatev, I just need one before MGS4 comes out.

I suppose the best reason that I honestly feel about the Elite: It's pretty black! :D

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yep, when I bought it, inside the box was a pamphlet to call Microsoft, $50 for 2 years which covered any kind of failure (I believe it's $60 now). This was before the year extension, regular warranty was 90 days. Also before the 3 year extension for RRoD. I knew there would be trouble ahead and invested for the warranty.

I'd love to know if I could purchase this online.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'd love to know if I could purchase this online.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox/console/extendedwarranty.htm

The information is there, not sure if you can do it online, I did it over the phone.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The arcade plan isn't bad, if you can find one with hdmi and the falcon chipset otherwise its not worth it. However I think most RROD problems happen because of gpu overheat so I would probably wait for the 65nm gpus first which are rumored to be released this summer or fall.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The arcade plan sounds like a good choice provided you don't use your 360 to play original Xbox games. If you want the HDMI port, then go for it (provided Microsoft doesn't send you a new 360 that has an HDMI port). I think the Elite versions come with HDMI cables though and I'm not sure what the costs of HDMI cables are.

Also, I wouldn't wait for the smaller, more affordable versions of the GPU since I believe the revisions made in 2007 (65nm CPUs came with other revisions) are enough to significantly reduce the chance of RRoD unless the smaller GPUs come with a price cut which they might.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I do play BC Xbox games, and I would continue to be able to as I have the 20GB HDD I can put on the Arcade. Seems HDMI is guaranteed on the Arcade, which means the mobo revision will be there with the improved chipset.

What are the chances that Microsoft will send me a newer 360 with HDMI provided they can't fix my current one? Could I use the wording on that service contract extended warranty as leverage, it says "If all else fails and our service experts actually conclude your Xbox 360 console or controller is beyond repair, we'll comfort you with a replacement, including the latest features. So your service contract can pay for itself several times over with this benefit alone."

Now, do they just say that, or do they do that by default? Has anyone recently sent in an older 360 and got one of the newer revisions back (and did you have this service contract, or standard warranty)? At what point would I have to call them to request this? Will they call me with a status update along the lines of "We can't fix your system, we'll send you a replacement", at which point I request the HDMI one. Or would I just send my system in, not hear back from them and in a month get a box at my door?

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Go with the Arcade. All arcades have HDMI, and come with the newer chipset. Plus, solid white looks better than Solid black or white with silver.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Go with the arcade. They all come with HDMI and all have the newer chipset.

Plus, solid white looks better than solid black or white with silver trim.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I called MS up again to check on whether I'd actually be elibigle, in the event my current 360 can't outright be repaired, to recieve a newer model with the Falcon chip and HDMI - something I feel I'd be eligible for based on the wording of the service contract I purchased.

I posted before, but here it is again "If all else fails and our service experts actually conclude your Xbox 360 console or controller is beyond repair, we'll comfort you with a replacement, including the latest features. So your service contract can pay for itself several times over with this benefit alone."

I had the CS rep tell me I'd get a Core back with no HDMI. I argued that does not have the latest features. The Arcade is a replacement for the Core, and that has the latest features. They continued with, I'll get back the exact same thing as I send in, no HDMI. I asked to speak with someone higher up the chain, I did. He said that yes, as he understood the wording I read to him about the replacement, that I would get the newer model, but the repair center didn't actually do that, it wasn't policy. He claims a misunderstanding between myself, the service contract people, and the repair center (him). Now, I want to be clear, and I said the same thing to him. I don't expect a higher model, I just want the equivalent to what I have, but with the latest features and updates I was promised. Even if they tell me that the Arcade is not the same thing as the Core (which the CS rep did admit the Arcade was a replacement for Core), according to wikipedia (with citations), just before the Arcade came out, the Cores did start incorporating the Falcon chipset with HDMI with lot number 0728 or greater.

So, I bought a Core, the last Core revisions to be released had HDMI and Falcon chips. My service contract, part of the reason I bought it, claims I'll get a replacement with the latest features, those in my mind being 65nm and HDMI. I've asked for the issue to be escalated, and they will contact me in 48 hours. This all may be a big waste of time if they just fix my current console and send it back, but it's the principle of the thing. I bought the service contract for 2 years due to the hardware issues, later Microsoft gave 3 year warranties for the particular issue I have, thereby nullifying the reason I bought the service contract in the first place. I feel I'm at least entitled to the one positive of having this service contract, outlined in what I think of as pretty cut and dry wording. It even says "So your service contract can pay for itself several times over with this benefit alone", if they are just doing the standard repair or replace with old refurbished model thing they do with everyone, what is the fucking point?

A couple questions, further straying from the point of this thread. Should I record my conversation with whatever CS rep calls me back? If they refuse to honor the wording of the pamphlet about the contract, where do I go from there, post my story to the consumerist with the recording and scan of the wording? I would obviously wait, as this is all a moot point if they fix my current system. Which leads me to my next point, how can I go about marking or otherwise identifying my current system, to see if they send the same one back? In the event I'm told they will honor the contract and give me a new system provided my current one can't be fixed, I don't want them to say they fixed it, and really just recieved a refurbished one. Would a pen mark on the outside anywhere, or under the faceplate area or HDD area be left intact? Should I mark the inside of the CD tray since that shouldn't be touched?

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Record the SN?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I believe if they send a different console back, they put a sticker on it with the old SN, so I don't think that would help. I could be wrong.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I believe if they send a different console back, they put a sticker on it with the old SN, so I don't think that would help. I could be wrong.

Nope; if they send you a new one it will have a new serial number (which is the cause of the entire DRM with purchased stuff problem, as the serial number of your 360 doesn't match the number you purchased it with anymore)

I would be suprised if they send an old core, I don't think they particularly want to encourage the "I've had 9 dead 360" stories... when mine got replaced after about a year I was sent a 360 that was manufactured ~2 months prior

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That makes me happy to hear it, thanks. Though the guy on the phone specifically said I wouldn't be getting HDMI or the Falcon. We'll see what happens when the people call me back cause I asked to have this elevated.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any word yet? I am thinking about buying a Premium with RROD and warranty seal in place, and it would be nice if there was a possibility of getting one with an HDMI port in return.

Tzen on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, so my 360 just red-ringed today. Sometimes I can still turn it on and make it to the dashboard, most other times I get the rings. To me this means it's on it's way out, and soon, it won't boot at all.

I called Microsoft, the coffin will be sent this week.

I got the crazy idea in my head that while I am waiting, I'll just buy another 360. See? Told you it was crazy. A couple stores this week have a sale for $50 off a 360 purchased with GTA4. Now, I have yet to buy GTA4, and I want it very much. I also have a $50 gift card for Best Buy due to the HD-DVD player psuedo-refund. I consider this gift card free money, as I struck the HD-DVD train while it was hot (Heroes S1 HD free, 3 free HDs from Best Buy, 5 free from mail-in, included King Kong), so I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. So I look at it as $100 off total.

I'm in the middle of Oblivion, and have quite a few 360 games I'd like to continue playing. I won't be bored in its absense though as I have a DS, PSP, PS3, and Wii and not enough time to play everything. Still, my 360 is my favorite and most heavily played console.

I was toying with the idea of getting an Elite. $450+$60 (gta) - $100 = $410 plus tax. Minus whatever I could sell my current one for once I get it back - lets assume at least $200, while it is a Core, it comes with the 20GB drive, and a controller or two, along with some of my lesser played games. So my math would leave me around $200 out of pocket for an Elite and GTA4.

Is it worth it? Pluses would include larger hard-drive, HDMI, the newer/quieter/cooler chipsets. I also wouldn't miss a beat with my gaming habits and I could continue to watch my HD-DVDs.

Downsides of buying it would be unnecessary hassle and I'm spending more money for something I already technically have. While HDMI would be nice, I use VGA, and I doubt there is a big enough difference, especially on a 27" 720p TV.

Other issues, I have alot of Live Arcade games, but I know they will be fixing the DRM issue soon, so I could re-license my games to the new system without any problems (when will this be?). I do have a 64mb card, so even though the Elite doesn't come with a transfer kit, I should be able to migrate all my save games over - however in the process of getting it repaired, that would have to wait anyways - unless I could get it to boot again and do this, it's been on and off with the lights (EDIT: didn't think of it before, but I could just put my old HDD in the Elite, transfer to Mem Card, then put 120Gb HDD in and be set, so that wouldn't be an issue).

Is it worth it? Or should I just wait, focus on my other systems, and continue on as usual when I get it back? How about the console they fix, I know there is a chance they will fix my system, I also know they could just send some other refurbished systems. Is there any possibility that I'll get a system back that has HDMI and/or the newer chipsets (falcon?)? What about a Pro system, could I get a system back with the silver DVD tray? That doesn't matter to me, just curious.

Anyone care to weigh in?

My 360 RRoDed a few weeks back and I just got it back last Friday. Turn around time (for mine) was about 2 weeks. They repaired my system, did not replace it. I'm pretty sure they put a new chipset board in the thing, new heat sink, and new fan because now the thing is whisper quiet and doesn't sound like a dying goat even when playing games. It does not produce near as much heat as before. Also, you wont lose any saved games since they no longer take the HDD back when you mail your 360 in. Unless you need the HDMI port, I wouldn't waste the money on another 360. If you want more HD space, just buy a 120 gig used if you can find it.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No word back yet. Larger HDD isn't necessary, and I wouldn't have had to send the HDD in anyways because it was a Core. I am happy to hear that they might just completely replace the internals, I'd be pleased if it was cooler and quieter, more so if it had HDMI. I would prefer HDMI, but I am fine with my VGA for now.

I'm waiting for the CS rep to call me back before I decide. I'd rather not get my 360 back just to have it break again, partly why I'm pushing for a model with Falcon chipset and HDMI. The math mostly works out so I'll break even if I buy a Core, though it's less of a hassle just to wait.

Anyone else recently send in and get their system back and have it noticeable more quiet and cooler? Do they tell you exactly what they did, such as update the internals?

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just to toss in, mine RROD'd a couple weeks ago. I expect it back tomorrow according to the service website. If it doesn't have the new Falcon chipset and heatsink, it's going straight to the nearest Gamestop to trade in for an Elite.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So I bit the bullet. I got a RRoD 360 on eBay. Warranty sticker unbroken. 1 Controller (probably wireless? if it's not it'll be nice to use for my PC without needing a dongle), HD cables (I'm assuming component), no HDD and probably no HDMI. All for $51+$20 shipping. Not bad, I'd say.

Will let people know how the repair goes, if anyone cares.

Edit: ToyD, how much credit do you get for one?

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well thats my issue. I have to make this decision this week to jump on the GTA4 deal. If I'm wrong and I recieve an HDMI Falcon system back, I wasted a little time and money. No call yet today, they have until tomorrow to call me back, then I try them again. There's no god damn way in hell I'd trade to EB though, what do they give you for it, $50?

EDIT: Tzen, that's a nice deal, hope it works out for you.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was super pissed earlier because I had to go to class and missed a RRoD 360 w/ unbroken sticker, wireless controller, HD cables, AND HDD for 80+30 shipping. Got outbid at 81. That's so low I kind of felt bad for the seller. So depending on how good the repairs are these days, there are definitely some good deals if you keep your eyes peeled. If I do get burned, at least I wasn't out too much.

Thanks, Odium. Hope you get your new HDMI box.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Slight derail, but I hate to make an entire thread for it.

I almost bought a Halo 3 Legendary Edition at Best Buy today. It was $59.99 and it came with a game guide.

The original Halo didn't really grab me, and I haven't played Halo 2. What the fuck was I thinking?

Edit: Anyone think it'd be possible to sell everything in the Legendary edition (plus the guide) except for the game for about $45? If I could get Halo 3 for $20 I'd totally be up for that.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Continuation of derail, but Halo is really what you make of it.

I played Halo through on the PC and was pretty unimpressed (I was a mouse/keyboard, anti-console fanatic at the time). I later played it through on the Xbox and had a blast. It just felt so natural and solid. The big open levels were really fun and dynamic. I couldn't convince my brother to play it co-op with me, though, despite introducing him to the novels which he read through quickly. Bastard.

I got Halo 2 at the midnight launch, and played through it that night. I then played through it again co-op with my brother. The single-player campaign is quite meh, honestly. I got the chance to play the MP at a few LAN parties with friends and had an absolute blast until the uber-teens with their limitless time to play the game showed up and pretty much dominated everyone. Sucked the fun right the fuck out.

Halo 3 is one of the first games I'm going to get if my little 360 plan works out, and hopefully the campaign co-op will be more Halo than Halo 2. Should be interesting.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    Continuation of derail, but Halo is really what you make of it.

I played Halo through on the PC and was pretty unimpressed (I was a mouse/keyboard, anti-console fanatic at the time). I later played it through on the Xbox and had a blast. It just felt so natural and solid. The big open levels were really fun and dynamic. I couldn't convince my brother to play it co-op with me, though, despite introducing him to the novels which he read through quickly. Bastard.

I got Halo 2 at the midnight launch, and played through it that night. I then played through it again co-op with my brother. The single-player campaign is quite meh, honestly. I got the chance to play the MP at a few LAN parties with friends and had an absolute blast until the uber-teens with their limitless time to play the game showed up and pretty much dominated everyone. Sucked the fun right the fuck out.

Halo 3 is one of the first games I'm going to get if my little 360 plan works out, and hopefully the campaign co-op will be more Halo than Halo 2. Should be interesting.

I'm debating buying it right now. I've got a backlog as it is, but I don't see Halo getting any cheaper than $60 for some time, so I may as well get some free shit with it while I'm at it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Slight derail, but I hate to make an entire thread for it.

I almost bought a Halo 3 Legendary Edition at Best Buy today. It was $59.99 and it came with a game guide.

The original Halo didn't really grab me, and I haven't played Halo 2. What the fuck was I thinking?

Edit: Anyone think it'd be possible to sell everything in the Legendary edition (plus the guide) except for the game for about $45? If I could get Halo 3 for $20 I'd totally be up for that.

Errr, you think you mean the actual legendary pack of the game that came with the helmet? The halo xbox360s are nigh impossible to find now. I think you just mean the game as I saw them at my local best buy also being discounted.

Also, to the above question to me, you get about $130 of in-store credit at gamestop for a full 360 pro bundle including all cables and the 1 controller.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Update time.

Well, the customer service employee I escalated this up to was no help whatsoever. I can't remember the amount of times he said "We can't guarantee you would get a system with Falcon or HDMI." Well, what the fuck was the service CONTRACT for? It's a goddamn guarantee and I paid to have that guarantee. He said even though it states in plain english, black and white, that if I need a replacement I'd get the latest features, that they cannot guarantee and most likely would not. That went back and forth for awhile.

He said I'd need to have to contact the service contract people, as they are a separate department. Also, they apparently don't have any phones or computers in that department, because there is no number or email. The guy straight up told me the only way I could reach them was by writing a letter and mailing it. What? Are you fucking kidding me, Microsoft?

According to the paper that had the informationm, I can get a refund if I'm unhappy with the service. Ha. Though I have to mail it to them, at this particular time it's not great because I move in a month and a half and would rather not deal with regular mail.

I just bought an Arcade with GTA4 for $50 off regular price. Hooked the HDD up, I'm good to go, just need that tool being released this coming month to relicense all DLC. Still, this is whole thing pissed me off. It's the principle of it, I paid for extra service and a guarantee, one that they could not back up - something that seems pretty easy to in my mind. I'm going to see where I get with the BBB and Consumerist.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Final update until I necropost when I get my 360 back. Box came, I'm off to UPS to drop it off.

I created a blog, submitted the story to the consumerist and digg. Feel free to digg it: http://digg.com/xbox/Dead_Xbox_360_and_Microsoft_s_Worthless_Guarantee

I hope that's not considered some type of site whoring.

On the plus side, the Arcade is fine, and everything works except for my fiance's inability to play the Arcade games we've purchased on my account. Sometime in June the DRM thing will be fixed.

As an aside, does anyone know of a cheap HDMI switcher? My TV only has one port, and I already have to manually switch the cable box and PS3. Thanks.

DHS Odium on