As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2008: Joe Biden a lock for Cy Young, MVP

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Thank you D-town for knocking the Sox down a peg. Now the ever-crucial 4 game series begins this week. Too bad none are afternoon games. I love cutting out early to head to a ballgame, even if it is indoors at a shithole stadium.

I can't wait for that new stadium you guys are getting out there. I am sick to shit of the 'dome, it's good they're getting a proper ballpark.

Satan. on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I'm going to Thursday's Cubs/Brewers game. Tickets were bought long ago, still no idea where we're sitting.

How hot have the tickets gotten by now? Scalpers want $150 for a bleacher seat and $1,000-plus for home plate.

Mind you, this is for a series in JULY.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    So I'm going to Thursday's Cubs/Brewers game. Tickets were bought long ago, still no idea where we're sitting.

How hot have the tickets gotten by now? Scalpers want $150 for a bleacher seat and $1,000-plus for home plate.

Mind you, this is for a series in JULY.

That might have something to do with it being a marquee matchup between two teams about 100 miles away from each other. Also, that whole Rich Harden thing.

I'd be selling those tickets in a heartbeat, I don't need to see a baseball game that badly.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I could be anywhere in the world right now, it would be that Brewers/Cubs game. I would love to see this game/series.

Fuck Wisconsin - go Cubs!

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I could be anywhere in the world right now, it would be that Brewers/Cubs game. I would love to see this game/series.

Fuck Wisconsin - go Cubs!
    You are correct on both halves of the limed statement.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    Cubs/Brewers is really intense right now.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The whole thing has given me a really dysfunctional relationship with the Brewers. They were my emergency backup back in the American League days, and I do still have a soft spot for them, always have. But dammit, I'm a Cubs fan and the Brewers are now somehow both my hated rival and my emergency backup at the same time.

Unless you're a 49ers, Cardinals or Rams fan who used to have the Seahawks as a backup, I'm not sure how many people can sympathize with the position.

Gosling on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Weeks totally fucked this game for the Brewers right there.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    God damn it, will somebody give Bob Howry a lesson on how not to give up home runs because I think I'd really like that

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    okay I don't know if I can handle any more games like that down the stretch

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    nice day for the AL east! but not really.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Found out where we're sitting on Thursday:

Section 221. That's right in front of the pressbox. Second level behind home plate, bit off to the third-base side.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    God damn it, will somebody give Bob Howry a lesson on how not to give up home runs because I think I'd really like that

Todd Jones will have a word with him ASAP

Satan. on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brewers/Cubs is just as good as it was yesterday.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bye Tex. :(

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »

HEH

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »

Oh, come on. He had one foot out the door already anyway.

This does, however, bring to mind two important points going forward...

1) The NYC area will explode into bloody internecine warfare between Yankee and Mets fans once the bidding war for Teixeira gets underway during the off season.

2) The Angels are going to ruin a lot of people's shit during the playoffs this year...so hard.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay, recheck of the tickets and it's 231, not 221.

That puts me in left field somewhere.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Tex with the Angels...yikes.

If they weren't already the favorite in the AL, there should be no debate now.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    good trade for the angels.

JeffH on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We might actually get some coverage on ESPN now.

Nah, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You know why you won't? Because Joba's pitching today! OH BOY A DECENT RELIEVER IS STARTING!

Note: I fucking hate Joba.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i dont get the big deal, it seems kotch is a much better deal and investment then tex. Tex hits more homerruns, but kotch gets on base nearly as much if not more, plus hes like 1/10th the cost and is gunna be around till 2011...

so they get a slight boost to help in the playoffs...but lose a great young player that they had for cheap for a few more years.

Seems like a bad trade.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Disrupter wrote: »
    i dont get the big deal, it seems kotch is a much better deal and investment then tex. Tex hits more homerruns, but kotch gets on base nearly as much if not more, plus hes like 1/10th the cost and is gunna be around till 2011...

so they get a slight boost to help in the playoffs...but lose a great young player that they had for cheap for a few more years.

Seems like a bad trade.

They'll get draft picks when he leaves for free agency. Also, isn't this how every title run trade works?

Actually, I just looked up the stats. Kotchman has .327 OBP, .448 SLG, 105 OPS+. Texiera has .390, .512, 139. Lower BA, but BA is worthless.

Jesus, do the Angels have enough offense or what? Their pitching is less than spectacular though.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Disrupter wrote: »

Seems like a bad trade.

it makes pretty good sense to me from both sides. the angels have a ton of money, and want tex for the playoff push. Kotchman is a mediocre first baseman that they can easily replace when they don't re-sign tex

JeffH on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Breaking news alert on ESPN's MLB section:

Yankees Acquire Pudge

With Jorge Posada out, the Yankees have been hunting for catching help. They got it Wednesday afternoon when they acquired Ivan Rodriguez from the Detroit Tigers, according to ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511535

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Breaking news alert on ESPN's MLB section:

Yankees Acquire Pudge

With Jorge Posada out, the Yankees have been hunting for catching help. They got it Wednesday afternoon when they acquired Ivan Rodriguez from the Detroit Tigers, according to ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3511535

This is good news for my fantasy team. Now I've got A-Rod and Pudge in a run scoring orgy.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sox are punting the season and that is sick and wrong

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So that is a terrible trade by the Tigers.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    how do the yankees have enough money to keep on doing this shit

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Absolutely. Kyle Farnsworth is garbage. Tigers GM got swindled.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

They're the fucking Yankees! They have an orgy in a field of $100 bills every night.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Absolutely. Kyle Farnsworth is garbage. Tigers GM got swindled.

The worst part is, he was a Tiger (and awful) in 2005.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ryan Dempster for Cy Young!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

They're a merchandising juggernaut, they have one of (if not the) richest TV deal in professional sports, et cetera, et alia, ad nauseam.

They are simply an institution and have as close to bottomless pockets as you'll ever see from a sports team.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

They're a merchandising juggernaut, they have one of (if not the) richest TV deal in professional sports, et cetera, et alia, ad nauseam.

They are simply an institution and have as close to bottomless pockets as you'll ever see from a sports team.

yeah, it's the best.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Farnsworth has been effective this year (3.65 ERA, 3.35 DERA which is defensive-independent ERA) and the Tigers desperately needed bullpen help. His strikeout rate has returned to its previously elite level (43 K in 44.1 innings this year) so he should provide stability in the 7th and 8th innings.

Pudge is declining but is still an offensive upgrade over Jose Molina. He should add about a win or two to the Yankees for the rest of the season.

All in all, it seems like an even trade. Both teams dealt from strength (the Yankees have Bruney and Melancon in the minors ready to contribute, the Tigers can slot Inge into catcher) and filled a need. The Tigers save about $3 million this year, the Yankees upgraded from a type B to a type A free agent. Good, smart front-office work by both teams.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Peter Gammons is saying that the proposed Manny trade with Florida is all but dead.

I expect to hear the finalized deal announced any time now.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Manny to the Dodgers, Jason Bay to the Red Sox, Pittsburgh gets some minor leaguers.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    This.

Fucking.

Sucks.

I threw my fucking Sox hat out the window on the way home today (I turned around and got it) because of this bullshit. The Sox treated Manny like shit, playing games with him and publicly making it known what they were going to do about his option. They should have kept that fucking shit to themselves. Hey, I know, let's piss off one of our top 3 performers by telling him he's not worth it for us mid way through a season. What a brilliant fucking move there, you fucking idiots.

This is different from the Nomar situation. Nomar quit on the management and his teammates. Manny quit on management, but not his teammates. And Manny was right to quit on management.

I'm so fucking disgusted by the way the Sox handled this.

Manny is right, the Sox don't deserve him.

JustinSane07 on