As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well after having to re-make my Barbarian due to selecting the wrong server previously, I've managed to get him past where my last one was, and all I lost was a day's playtime. :P

I realized on the last quest I did, which involved sneaking in and stealing a key to open a treasury door, that I am probably the worst thief of all time. Instead of simply getting in, taking the treasure, and spiriting away, I spent my time going down every hallway and into each room, slaughtering every guard in the entire place. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All right, now I'm frustrated. I got up at 06:30AM GMT+1 time to play some before work. But what greets me as I try to log in? Downtime for 05:00 till' 09:00. Fuck. I just want to play when nobody else is on so I can actually kill some of the mobs without waiting in line and getting ganked while waiting for some boss to spawn.

I also rolled an HoX yesterday, and realized I haven't read their description. Two-handed swords, breathing fire and demonform? What the heck did I miss?!

Zilart on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I need to move my TV closer to my computer

this grinding is melting my fucking brain

seriously

I feel dumber already

With the TV I can at least get some slight stimulation

ironically grinding/questing is more stimulating for your brain than watching television ;)

gaming takes all sorts of complicated processes. television takes like, zero

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I invite you to take a look into forever
    >_<

Heihachi Mishima...wins!

So, I think I've died like 15 times on this stupid volcano quest. I want to stick it out with my ToS, but god damn am I tired of dying.

Stick with it, after around 25 ToS starts getting uber awesome and after 30 you're a walking doomsdaydevice with heals.

Paragon on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I need to move my TV closer to my computer

this grinding is melting my fucking brain

seriously

I feel dumber already

With the TV I can at least get some slight stimulation

ironically grinding/questing is more stimulating for your brain than watching television ;)

gaming takes all sorts of complicated processes. television takes like, zero

Nick@Nite is my MMO gaming aid. Since I'm usually playing late into the early morning hours, it's the only thing that isn't infomercials or televangelism on my TV. I've even associated certain shows with certain games, Fresh Prince in particular makes me think of World of Warcraft. Starting to be more associated with this game though.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone else having trouble getting into the AoC forums? I went into my account setup and created a forum login yesterday, but I still can't log in today, and when I try to use the lost password feature it tells me it doesn't recognise my email address.

I'm was hoping to read up on how others are utilizing Dark Templar combos (and combos in general I guess). At this point I'm pretty much ignoring my combos' effects and going for whichever uses the right directional key for my opponents' most unguarded area/s.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aldarez wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble getting into the AoC forums? I went into my account setup and created a forum login yesterday, but I still can't log in today, and when I try to use the lost password feature it tells me it doesn't recognise my email address.

I'm was hoping to read up on how others are utilizing Dark Templar combos (and combos in general I guess). At this point I'm pretty much ignoring my combos' effects and going for whichever uses the right directional key for my opponents' most unguarded area/s.

Same here. As filled with unmitigated downs as official MMO forums usually are, I wanted to get on and read up on all the classes, but despite registering for them yesterday I still can't access them. :(

Ledneh on
    edited May 2008
    Aldarez wrote:

Mine's working fine, so I've copy pasted a truly epic post in the DT forum that should answer all your questions. It's probably one of the best posts I've read on that entire hive of scum and villainy.

Based on tests at various levels, right now 43. Thanks for all the comments, especially to Tikal. Please comment, add, critique and request.

CLASS STRENGTHS

Dark Templar strength is self-healing more than DPS. The more they convert damage taken and damage given to health and stamina the better they do. This means that some of your highest DPS combos are triggered last.

Combos, as contrasted to swings, are amazing for the self-healing and should be spammed until you are out of stamina. Combos are superior in damage to all strikes unless there are three shields on the side that the comb hits on.

SELF-HEALING

Damage done:

Base Self Heal seems to be about ~2-5% of damage done with no buffs
    Drain Life + 3% at 35
    Soul For Feast 2.2% at 35
    Leech Life +5.5% at 35
    Devouring Touch +4% with 5 feats

Total: ~20% damage done returned as health for every point of damage done.

Curse of Gwahlur (awesome) Returns 8 health a tick and is always on.

Vigor Leech returns 3.5% of damage done to stamina (very nice)

Aura of Dread Fury – Broken from what I can see +100 Magic Life Tap. No idea what this means. Doesn’t seem to trigger anything when taking or giving magic damage.

Damage taken:

Aura of Infusion I (awesome): 39 health when triggered at 35, triggers all the time
    Aura of Infusion II: 40 health when triggered at 35 (lame upgrade, seriously)
    Consuming Bulwark Feat (good but don't recall the numbers)

Note: You can use Shift Left Click to read the tool tips. Aura of Infusion is 9 + (5 * 6 seconds)

SADISM

This one is weird.

It buffs you and the does dps off the last person who proc'ed it for you. Seems to be a nice group add but is not going to reflect on your dps.

+1000% regen on ?
    +12% damage
    +12% life leech
    +12% ?

9-40 4m unholy damage for 2 ticks.

What to look for in your combat log:

[00:19:42] Samuri affects you with Sadism (10)
    [00:19:44] Samuri's Sadistic Soul hits Nemedian Soldier for 35 unholy damage.
    [00:19:46] Samuri's Sadistic Soul hits Nemedian Soldier for 32 unholy damage.

Defense

I did some tests at 41 with defense. Here is what I found.

I had 154 defense and a physical mob hit me for 45 average.
    I removed my pants (yes it was an impressive sight) 144 defense 58 damage average.

Conclusion: Defense is your friend. Get the highest defense you can. Seems much more important than the physical invulnerabilities. This matches what someone else found with the shield. You drop your shield you will lose 8-10 defense at level 40 and increase your physical damage by 20-30%.

Heroic Defense: Any ideas what this is?

TOOLS

/logcombat on
    /logcombat off

http://www.aocstats.com/freeParse.aspx

PVE TIPS

--Turn off auto facing
    --Back up to get the most hits on the most mobs
    --Turn on Aura of Infusion
    --Turn on Drain Life
    --Kill mobs equal or higher level for more XP
    --Chain killing mobs give more XP
    --Try to fight two or more
    --Fighting one mob, go into Frenzy
    --Typically Defensive Stance is best, especially multiple mobs 3+
    --Pots are amazing, use them
    --Use your Blood Rite (health for stamina) constantly
    --When you mouse combo immediately hit the first trigger then wait for next.
    --X key acts as a Stamina / Health Shield if you are in trouble
    --if possible use combos that have follow ups on the weak shield side
    --Equip a throwing weapon for safer pulls
    --Strike an unshielded direction immediately after every combo

PVE SKILL ROTATION

Get your self-healing up first then lay down the damage. Notice the attacks are in addition to the triggering attacks.

Charge: 1 attack
    Blood for Aid: 2 attacks on UR
    Leech Life II: 2 on MID
    Soul for our Feat II: 3 attacks on UR
    Unhallowed Blight I: 1 major attack 500 damage or more
    Brutal Enraging Wound I: 6 attacks on MID
    Enraging Strike III: 3 attacks on UR
    Brutal Enraging Strike III: 3 attacks on UL
    Slam: 3 Attacks on ?
    Sweep: 1 Attack per mob in range (positioning key)

Note: Top DPS attacks are Unhallowed Blight, then Brutal Enraging Wound.

LEVELING BUILD

Focus on your self healing. Go up Desecration first.

http://feats.goonheim.com/darktemplar#t0a5b5f3t1a5c5e5t2

I'm unsure after level 40ish.

Here are some healing stats:

Aura of Infusion (Rank 2) 810 31.43
    Curse of Gwahlur 741 28.75
    Other(Lifetap) 525 20.37
    Consuming Bulwark 274 10.63
    Blighted Soul 84 3.26
    Corruption 66 2.56
    Blighted Touch 35 1.36
    Covenant of Pestilence (Rank 1) 35 1.36

This was in a group setting. Solo life tap seems to be about 50%. Curse of Gwahlur, Consuming Bulwark, Aura of Infusion often come out equal soloing.

SHIELD PARSING

Shield (rough test 31 DT against 27 mob)

lvl Defense ; normal ; Fury
    0 shield 70 ; 77 ; 100
    1 shield 55 ; 62 ; 80
    2 shield 31 ; 35 ; 50
    3 shield 13 ; 15 ; 18

0 shield = 100% damage given
    1 shield = ~75% damage given
    2 shield = ~50% damage given
    3 shield = ~25% damage given

Summary: Basically a two extra combo will do more damage than a single swing on 2 shields or less. For example, Leech is three mids or 150% with 2 shields. One attack mid 0 shields is 100%. However if there is three shields leech is only 75% of an attack.

MINI FEAT REVIEW

These are just opinions and will change with testing. Please post what you have found.

Good feats:

Devouring Touch: +4% leech. Key to any build
    Vigor Leech: Must have as we run out of stamina all the time
    Curse of Gwahlur: Healing and damage, woot!
    Consuming Bulwark: Healing equal to Curse most of the time.
    Blighted Soul: Damage and healing, nice.

Weakish feats:

Improved Dread Fury: Terrible after fight heals 1-6 health total!! Rare triggers.
    Covenant of Arms: Very light damage from my tests. Prefer Convenant of Pestulance.

PVP SKILL ROTATION

Still testing these. I’m still unsure about auto facing (problems with dancers).

--Frenzy Stance
    --Charge
    --Unhallowed Blasphemy
    --(if not attacking you) Brutal Enraging Wound
    --Defensive stance and get your Leeches up

PVP BUILDS

So many unknowns with Invulnerability, Sadism, Pest/Put and group support.

2 CC

http://feats.goonheim.com/darktemplar#t0a5b5d5f3i2l2m1t1a5b1c5e5f1g2h5k1o2p3q1r5u5v2w1x5z5A1B1t2

3 CC

http://feats.goonheim.com/darktemplar#t0a5b5c1d5f3h5i2l2m1p1u5y1t1a5b1c5e5f1g2h5k1o2p3q1r5w1x5A1t2

3 CC

http://hybes.de/featPlaner.php?class=DarkTemplar&lang=en&temp=726-05,709-05,720-05,754-02,707-05,708-05,734-01,725-04,740-02,735-01,714-01,710-01,700-15,716-11,739-12,722-15,750-15,751-11,703-11,753-15,713-15,737-15,738-12,702-11,731-13,701-11

Notes
    v: added defense notes and formating.[/QUOTE]

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Paragon wrote: »
    So, I think I've died like 15 times on this stupid volcano quest. I want to stick it out with my ToS, but god damn am I tired of dying.

Stick with it, after around 25 ToS starts getting uber awesome and after 30 you're a walking doomsdaydevice with heals.

ToS up to 15 is agony. 15-20 is ok. At 20 you get a HUGE power boost in the form of a new rank of Lightning Strike, a new root, and a bigger regen heal.

I also suggest you stay out of the Lightning feat tree. At least one feat (the one that improves damage of Lightning Strike) is flat out broken. It does nothing. Storm Crown is just 8 points into the Thunder tree and is rock awesome.

zilo on
  • pentacubepentacube Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has an extra friend pass laying around they could throw my way. I would love to try the game, but I'm not sure how well my computer would run it. I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for a game I won't be able to play. Anyway, me love you long time and all that if I get a key. :P

pentacube on
    edited May 2008
    Friend passes are still not out.
    The buddy key program will open as soon as server capacity allows. Please check back later.

That's from the account management page for them.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • pentacubepentacube Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    D'OH! Guess I'll do my begging at a later date.

pentacube on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't get onto the official forums either. Any chance anyone can post a similar post to that DT one, but for conquerors? I feel that i am missing something. At level 21 now and i pretty much have no hope against 3+ same level mobs. I feel almost squishy. If i can't get them all within hit range of my attacks, which is tricky if any of them are ranged/magic classes, i am basically screwed.

Also can't figure out if 2 handed or dual wielding is better. I am going to assume 2 handers have greater range on them than dual wielding, which may be worth it for a slight dps decrease?

Also Frenzy stance literally feels like i am going into battle in a bikini with "hit here" stickers on oll my major arteries. The damage increase is awesome, but the speed with which i am reduced to a corpse is frightening.

Lly on
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    zilo wrote: »

ToS up to 15 is agony. 15-20 is ok. At 20 you get a HUGE power boost in the form of a new rank of Lightning Strike, a new root, and a bigger regen heal.

I also suggest you stay out of the Lightning feat tree. At least one feat (the one that improves damage of Lightning Strike) is flat out broken. It does nothing. Storm Crown is just 8 points into the Thunder tree and is rock awesome.

Man, I didn't even know that feat was broken.

My friend is loving his ToS in his 30's and recommended Lightning since we have mana issues (and also, upgrading Stormfield), but I thought Thunder looked more interesting at first, curse me for listening.

Do you know any site that lists broken features because I'm getting a little tired of setting up templates only to learn on the EU forums or somewhere (like here) that something is broken. =(

Paragon on
    edited May 2008
    I can't get into the forums, either. I've "created" a forum login several times now, and the forums does not recognize my e-mail adress when I ask for the forgotten password.

Zilart on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    I can't get into the forums, either. I've "created" a forum login several times now, and the forums does not recognize my e-mail adress when I ask for the forgotten password.

It doesn't recognize my cd key either.

This makes me sad because I need help respecing my feats and my god its hard to find good info.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It doesn't recognize my cd key either.

This makes me sad because I need help respecing my feats and my god its hard to find good info.

I need help on graphical tweaking because I don't know what bars do what and turning them down randomly makes the game look like ass.

Tav on
  • orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't get on the forums either. Very annoying. Why do they require a login to even read the fucking things?

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Friend passes are still not out.
    The buddy key program will open as soon as server capacity allows. Please check back later.

That's from the account management page for them.

Would it be helpful to add a list of people who need buddy codes, and those who will have them, to the OP? That way, once the codes are released, we can more efficiently distribute them.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did my first group yesteday in Black Castle (epic). Was quite fun but felt really broken. Mobs would respawn in 5-6 minutes, when you died you would ressurect on the spot you died (this seemed to carry out into the real world too which was annoying since I use death as a transportation method) and mobs would disapear and come back randomly. Felt rather easy too, our tank didn't have aggro half the time, the only real deaths were the necro dieing every so often from taking too much aggro (and the fact that my heals were hitting the melee 90% of the time and I'd often forget about him).

Setup was Bear Shaman (Me), Necro, Assassin, Barbarian and Guardian. Was fun and the end boss was kind of neat, just the bugs were annoying.

Also later that night I went into some spider dungeon on my own (forget its name but its in the Wild Lands). For some reason none of the mobs would aggro onto me even if I walked through them (they were all about level 27, I was 31). Was nice I could walk up to the bosses and kill them easily.

Loving the bear shaman so far, from the little pvp I've done (random fights out in the world) I've learned that I can kill Guardians and Conquerers with ease (I was outhealing them easily), HoX die so fast they don't really matter and Assassins are really dangerous if they catch you unawares (was fighting one or two in the same fashion I was fighting the Guardians, wasn't expecting such spikey damage and it caught me off guard).

Scroffus on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    EU servers are down.

:(

Tav on
    edited May 2008
    Has the servers in the US been down alot? Today I got up early to play aswell (07:00AM), only to find that there was going to be downtime for four hours. Okay, that's fine I said, but when it got to the point where it should have been up they added two more hours. Now it has been three hours and I still can't get it. I can barely play this game because when I'm not at work the servers are down. Such a downer. :(

Zilart on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has the servers in the US been down alot? Today I got up early to play aswell (07:00AM), only to find that there was going to be downtime for four hours. Okay, that's fine I said, but when it got to the point where it should have been up they added two more hours. Now it has been three hours and I still can't get it. I can barely play this game because when I'm not at work the servers are down. Such a downer. :(

It seems they try to take the servers down in the early morning ours (to me at least EST). The game launched only a week ago. The fact that the servers are going down because they choose to take them down is good. Having to deal with server outages and missing/broken/incomplete content is standard MMO stuff with a game this young. As long as things get better after each server downtime I'm happy, if it ever starts going in the other direction... then we should be worried. :P

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited May 2008
    It seems they try to take the servers down in the early morning ours (to me at least EST). The game launched only a week ago. The fact that the servers are going down because they choose to take them down is good. Having to deal with server outages and missing/broken/incomplete content is standard MMO stuff with a game this young. As long as things get better after each server downtime I'm happy, if it ever starts going in the other direction... then we should be worried. :P
    I understand that and I whole-heartedly agree. It's great that they are patching and improving the game, as they should. But it's just, damn, it's been 7 and a half hours now. I've literally waited all morning. I just want to play your game, Funcom. But I guess it's for the better .. I'll probably get to play enough, I hope .. :P

Edit: Wow the game just patched and is ready to play - exactly 5 minutes before I have to leave for work. Oh the irony

Zilart on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got up an hour ago and planned to play but yeah the servers have been down, hoping they come up sooner or later, preferable sooner. And lord almighty are the people on the official AoC forums a lot of whiners or what. They bitch and bitch and bitch, some of them do so in a way I’m not even sure if they’re ever playing the game, it seems they got no purpose other to bitch. I mean yeah the WoW forums can be bad enough but this right now is as bad as the worse of days there.

But then when I come to think of it what official forums are ever oceans of serenity and happiness eh.

Cade on
    edited May 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    I got up an hour ago and planned to play but yeah the servers have been down, hoping they come up sooner or later, preferable sooner. And lord almighty are the people on the official AoC forums a lot of whiners or what. They bitch and bitch and bitch, some of them do so in a way I’m not even sure if they’re ever playing the game, it seems they got no purpose other to bitch. I mean yeah the WoW forums can be bad enough but this right now is as bad as the worse of days there.

But then when I come to think of it what official forums are ever oceans of serenity and happiness eh.
    I just know that the only reason I would want to read forums about this game at all is to get some info on feats and spells etc. to improve my character. Otherwise there is just so much forum whining it boggles the mind.

Zilart on
  • BungletongueBungletongue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cade wrote: »

You mean there's an actual game? With buttons and characters and such? Holy fuckin' mindblown, Batman! This whole time I thought the forums WERE the game! I wondered why I was getting awesome framerates in the 'Raids and Tactics' instance...

Bungletongue on
    edited May 2008
    You mean there's an actual game? With buttons and characters and such? Holy fuckin' mindblown, Batman! This whole time I thought the forums WERE the game! I wondered why I was getting awesome framerates in the 'Raids and Tactics' instance...

Watch out for the people with the wizard robes, to coin a phrase it's a trap!

Cade on
  • StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    I can't get onto the official forums either. Any chance anyone can post a similar post to that DT one, but for conquerors? I feel that i am missing something. At level 21 now and i pretty much have no hope against 3+ same level mobs. I feel almost squishy. If i can't get them all within hit range of my attacks, which is tricky if any of them are ranged/magic classes, i am basically screwed.

Also can't figure out if 2 handed or dual wielding is better. I am going to assume 2 handers have greater range on them than dual wielding, which may be worth it for a slight dps decrease?

Also Frenzy stance literally feels like i am going into battle in a bikini with "hit here" stickers on oll my major arteries. The damage increase is awesome, but the speed with which i am reduced to a corpse is frightening.

Hit your frenzy stance, knockdown your target(s) then unleash a combo, when they get back up the 3second cooldown of your stances will be up and you can turn off frenzy/on defensive

In PvP this murders everything but guardians, DT's and conqs.

In PvE I can take out 2 enemies 3 levels higher or 3 enemies 2 levels than me while losing 15% health.

(This is as a ~26 2H Conqueror with Lumbering Hulk)

Stealthc on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The HoX seems pretty fun so far, although I did hit a very annoying bug with the destiny quest where my quest log was full and it just broke the chain. Hopefully a fix for this soon.

Does anyone have any input on Demonologist/Necromancer? After playing a lock for a while in WoW, I miss sitting back and nuking things from a distance.

Arasaki on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So, I rolled myself up a new Tempest because...well, lightning. I've gotten several fatalities so far using the basic lightning spell, but I haven't seen any sort of animation or graphics showing the kill, only the little buff icon. I've gotten spell fatalities with Demos and Necros, so I can't figure out what's up.

Probably a bug. People have been noting this on the forums for a while and I've noticed it myself. It's only for Lightning Strike though, the animation does work for other lightning spells.

Ok, I am glad I am not the only one. Hopefully I will see people in extreme pain in the near future.

ToS FTW!!!SHIFT+1!!!!!

Seriously though, I do enjoy this class. I was noticing I was dying a lot between lvls 10-12, but then I got a shield and everything was kosher again. I now run into a pack of 4 of my level and just start lighting striking the hell out of everyone and I typically win. And I just got an instant direct heal too. WOO!

DrunkMc on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

My friend is loving his ToS in his 30's and recommended Lightning since we have mana issues (and also, upgrading Stormfield), but I thought Thunder looked more interesting at first, curse me for listening.

Do you know any site that lists broken features because I'm getting a little tired of setting up templates only to learn on the EU forums or somewhere (like here) that something is broken. =(

Man I don't see what's wrong with speccing lightning if you don't take the lightning strike feats. I specced for the mana regen talents (ether absorption and such) and then improved my storm field. I can stand around doing damage for quite a while before I get into mana issues. I haven't decided yet what to do after grabbing set's brutality though, since I hear cyclone of set doesn't do much damage at all. Also note that I'm duo'ing, faster cast times on my main aoe is good for me or I'll be standing around twiddling my thumbs half the fight while my brother with his much quicker casting spells does all the work (boring). I've not asked him yet if Coalesce Ether makes a noticable difference for him.

Not seen any comprehensive lists of broken talents and there were unlisted fixes in the last patch according to the forumgoers. For example, Idol of Set has apparantly been fixed with a 1 min CD and quicksand now has a 30sec one. I believe as far as the lightning tree goes, the Brutal Lightning Strike talent is apparantly broken and, as I said, Cyclone of Set isn't worth taking.

Fantasyrogue on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the game, I really do. But I'm very annoyed at the lack of explanation of the statistics in the game (or outright omission of them). Examples:

1: It's been asked elsewhere, but what the hell is "heroic defense?" I swear it wasn't even a stat until two patches ago, when it started showing up on items I either looted or already had. There is no stat in the character window to match it.

2: Furthermore, an explanation of each statistic will help, as would the mechanic. I have two pieces of green armor, one is cloth and has +con while the other is medium and has +max health. Isn't that the same stat? Of course it isn't, because it's a different stat. But what would make me choose one over the other?

3: I have a cloth helm on my ranger with +1.6 defense rating. I just had a medium armor helm drop that has +1.2 and has an extra 6 levels on it (the requirement). Why would I use it? Does medium always trump light/cloth? Is there some built-in mitigation on armor type?

4: Also, as a ranger: I have arrows that are level 18 and add +.03 cold damage. I am level 26, and I just found medium arrows. I'll ask again: why would I upgrade? Arrows don't have stats! What's the difference, Funcom?! WHAT IS IT?

DietarySupplement on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Shit. I didn't know that feat was broken either. I just put my first point into it. D:

DrunkMc on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the game, I really do. But I'm very annoyed at the lack of explanation of the statistics in the game (or outright omission of them). Examples:

1: It's been asked elsewhere, but what the hell is "heroic defense?" I swear it wasn't even a stat until two patches ago, when it started showing up on items I either looted or already had. There is no stat in the character window to match it.

2: Furthermore, an explanation of each statistic will help, as would the mechanic. I have two pieces of green armor, one is cloth and has +con while the other is medium and has +max health. Isn't that the same stat? Of course it isn't, because it's a different stat. But what would make me choose one over the other?

3: I have a cloth helm on my ranger with +1.6 defense rating. I just had a medium armor helm drop that has +1.2 and has an extra 6 levels on it (the requirement). Why would I use it? Does medium always trump light/cloth? Is there some built-in mitigation on armor type?

4: Also, as a ranger: I have arrows that are level 18 and add +.03 cold damage. I am level 26, and I just found medium arrows. I'll ask again: why would I upgrade? Arrows don't have stats! What's the difference, Funcom?! WHAT IS IT?

1, It's added protection for when you're fighting enemies higher level than yourself
    2, itemization is fucked up
    3, itemization is fucked up
    4, itemization is fucked up

I like to tell the tale of my wristarmor for example. I got them in the acheronian ruins at level 12, and they've been better than every single wristarmor drop up to 56 so far.

So yeah, itemization is fucked up.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited May 2008
    So how are the PA guides coming anyways, what are the class numbers coming down. In other words what are some of the more popular and less popular choices.

Cade on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We are fixing the traders and the banks but some exploits would still be possible with the version we have now. We know how important it is to have traders and banks back in the game but the system must work absolutely correct before we put them live again. The possible exploits that would result when this is not ensured would lead to much bigger issues for all players.

looks like they're working on the issue at least. I have a million gems to sell

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you can too trust me

what you can't trust are breasts though

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

<snip>

I've been wondering all the same things as you. Heroic defense? WTF, Funcom? Arrows have no stats, so why would I ever replace the crude versions I found off that early Pictish guy unless I get one that adds some sorta damage modifier? What do the different types of armor do, anyways?

With the Barbarian that I have been yammering on about, I've played him to 15 and then to 18 (after realizing I'd made him on the wrong server and starting over), and for the most part he's been wearing cloth armor. Now, this was mainly for the cool factor, because cloth in general looks better than the very generic light armor (I particularly like the hood, but also enjoy wearing pants rather than a skirt, being a dude and all). In addition, however, I actually wanted to see if it would make a difference at all.

Heavier armor should have better stats for melee, historically speaking. In-game, I think it does tend to have a bit more in the way of invulnerabilities, but often the actual defense is no better, which others have noticed is the most important stat. The only thing heavier armor has going for it is knockback; cloth armor pretty much has no knockback protection, where as light armor has some, and medium armor has a bit more. I haven't actually seen any heavy armor yet (I presume it shows up outside Tortage), but I'm guessing it has even better protection from knockback. But beyond that protection, the differences between cloth and light armor seem rather insignificant, to the point where, in the course of doing the rogue destiny quest line, I often felt pretty comfortable choosing the cloth reward because the stats, other than knockback, were pretty much identical.

Thus far, having played to 18, my Barbarian is not too squishy. I just did Awakenings III (the 15-19 quest) and was fighting 2-3 even level mobs at a time (I wasn't supposed to be fighting them, as I could have just sneaked in and out, but this was for science), and 2 I could kill with about half health left, and 3 would be a bit of a struggle but I still could do it and live with... maybe about 20% life left. This was with no potion use.

Squishiness is probably going to get worse post-20, but I'm going to see how far I can push it. :P

EDIT: I guess Zzulu put it far more succinctly... itemization is fucked up. I wonder how much the differences between armor is going to change in the future though. I mean, I suspect that armor at 56 should not be worse than armor at 12, but perhaps the actual stats and such between armors of similar levels isn't supposed to be so different? I dunno.

Toxic Pickle on
  • StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The thing with the items at the moment is that even if Heavy armour gives a 50% increase over medium armour, a 50% increase of 0.2 defence or 0.1% slashing invulnerabiliy (which is often the case for things like gloves/boots/shoulders) just doesn't matter. Same goes for levels if L40 gear is twice as good as L30 it doesn't matter because its still only 2 x 0.2

I'm finding the only pieces that matter are the chest, leggings and helmet, for the rest of your gear you should be aiming to have +health etc.

I sort of feel like making a ToS now but I think I might wait until new servers are released so I get the chance to play on something which doesn't already have massive guild cities and level 60+ players

Stealthc on
This discussion has been closed.