Options

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    ...and Path of Asura just teleported me back to the water under the inn. Petition, here I come.

Echo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    welcome to AoC

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Any news on a possible free trial to be released?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hi to you, river of invisible lava.

Echo on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    ...and Path of Asura just teleported me back to the water under the inn. Petition, here I come.

When that happens you drown yourself. It's the only way to get out.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't suppose anyone here has any kind of suggestions as to how they might have addressed, or heard someone else addressing the AMD multi core clock blue screen of death bug. About every hour or so the game totally freezes and goes to a BSOD (first I've seen since windows 2000! Other than when I had a hard drive break during use) and you have to turn the PC on and off.

It seems to be quite a common error on the bug forums, but noone seems to actually have any idea what to do. The common element seems to be AMD processors, espescially Phenom models, since it appears with almost any graphics card and on both xp and vista.

It seems to be hugely common with some patches, and rare with others. However when it is happening it happens often enough to make doing a nice dungeon group most frustrating unless everyone else is willing to wait 5 minutes for you to log back in.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Any news on a possible free trial to be released?
    zilo wrote: »
    No friend codes, probably not for awhile. Apparently their servers won't handle the strain just yet.

zilo on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    So, I like fury warriors/rogues in WoW. Am I going to like playing as a Barbarian? How are they faring right now?

Barbarians are rogues with two handers. You can't tank well, its alot like a wow rogue, lots of stuns, lots of DPS.

Hell, I like it more than rogues.

As for pvp, they are quite good. They crush other rogue types, do well against mages, and can sometimes beat priests. Plate classes beat you handily though, as do priests that get the jump on you.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I've actually had this for a while, but was hesitant to write about it until I got a dude out of Tortage. Of course, having chronic alt-itis, this took a while.:oops:

But man, I'm loving this game so far! The world PvP is just stellar. Of course, I always seem to be the brunt of misguided hero types who mistake me for the instigator of gankage rather than the victim...usually because I win most encounters I become involved with, regardless of who starts the fight.

And that's something that I really appreciate. The PvP seems to actually require some sort of thinking process, rather than just standing there while your toon pummels the other one.

I've got a 26 Ranger and 21 Barbarian on Stormrage, and I'll probably look up the Imperiate later this week (when I have time to play again). I was playing a Conqueror originally, but was terrified of once again falling victim to the MMO "hybrid curse".

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This leads me to ask about the combat system, especially in PVP. I've only really been playing with the priest (only tried the assassin for 5 levels) and I never do melee or combos. How hard is it playing with the different directional attacks and pulling off combos? What's the best way to use combos with your keyboard? (I find it a little annoying using the number keys.) Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: what's the feasability of binding abilities/combos to the F keys?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    How hard is it playing with the different directional attacks and pulling off combos? What's the best way to use combos with your keyboard? (I find it a little annoying using the number keys.) Any insight would be appreciated.

The number keys is really the best way I've found, unless you want to rig up some crazy nonsense on a G15.

As far as difficulty, you get used to it pretty quickly. Also, it's VERY forgiving.

For instance, if my Ranger uses Salvo 2 there are two directions after before it lands. If I accidentally hit the wrong direction, I can quickly hit the right one and it's OK, since the timing of each strike isn't instant (hitting up-left, up really quickly won't work, you have to kinda wait for each attack to go through) Think of it kinda like Guitar Hero where the notes come really slow , and as long as you hit the right notes at the right time, the game won't mind if you hit the wrong ones in between.

Now, in PVP things get a bit tricky because you have different classes doing different things to make things harder for you. An Assassin will leap around you and generally make you go dizzy, so you need to use a snare/knockback or just try to face him at all times. All the while you're still trying to get combos off. Since it's a human player you're fighting there is always that "Oh man Oh man" going on in your head.. I find it a lot more exciting and thus quasi-adrenaline inducing.

Or maybe I'm just a huge nerd :P

F keys? If that's close enough for you then go for it.

For me, I have the 1-0 bar, the ALT bar, Z and C, and then I use another bar for lesser-used skills I still want on keys.

On my Ranger, 1,2,3 is my directionals and 4-0 are melee combos.
    ALT + 1-0 is my bow combos
    Z is to lay a trap
    C is to switch weapons
    Then I have Insert, Home, PgUp, Delete, End, Pgdown all to skills that don't need to be "twitch" used.. like Track, my stances, etc.

Edit; Also keep in mind that, unlike UI settings, control settings are shared across all characters. So, if I were to use my F keys for things on my ranger I could no longer use F1-F6 to select group members on my Priest.

Figgy on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So yesterday I was minding my own business, turning in some quests in the Valley of the Dead. While I'm talking to an npc all of the sudden my character yelps and there's a frikkin arrow in her back. Great. I quickly hit escape and whip around, seeing the perpetrator. I hellstepped next to him (think super awesome charge that leaves a fire trail like a Delorean), lit him on fire with my huge fucking axe, turned into a demon (stunning him for 5 seconds), shoved my axe into his chest, and snapped his neck. Then my demon did a jig on his corpse. No seriously, a jig. I also sent him a tell saying, "Thanks for playing."

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you go about getting in touch with GM's.

I just met a real unpleasant person who so deserves a ban.

Normally I wouldn't bother but this guy was pure scum.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    have you tried ignore?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone here has any kind of suggestions as to how they might have addressed, or heard someone else addressing the AMD multi core clock blue screen of death bug. About every hour or so the game totally freezes and goes to a BSOD (first I've seen since windows 2000! Other than when I had a hard drive break during use) and you have to turn the PC on and off.

It seems to be quite a common error on the bug forums, but noone seems to actually have any idea what to do. The common element seems to be AMD processors, espescially Phenom models, since it appears with almost any graphics card and on both xp and vista.

It seems to be hugely common with some patches, and rare with others. However when it is happening it happens often enough to make doing a nice dungeon group most frustrating unless everyone else is willing to wait 5 minutes for you to log back in.

When I started getting this after a patch a few weeks ago I went back to an old rev of drivers for my video card. 169.23 I believe, if your Nvidia, and that fixed it for me. Not sure what to suggest if your running ATI, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Edit: TOTP! This is the best I could come up with on short notice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ekQ2oJzh8

naturalchaos on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    How hard is it playing with the different directional attacks and pulling off combos? What's the best way to use combos with your keyboard? (I find it a little annoying using the number keys.) Any insight would be appreciated.

The number keys is really the best way I've found, unless you want to rig up some crazy nonsense on a G15.

As far as difficulty, you get used to it pretty quickly. Also, it's VERY forgiving.

For instance, if my Ranger uses Salvo 2 there are two directions after before it lands. If I accidentally hit the wrong direction, I can quickly hit the right one and it's OK, since the timing of each strike isn't instant (hitting up-left, up really quickly won't work, you have to kinda wait for each attack to go through) Think of it kinda like Guitar Hero where the notes come really slow , and as long as you hit the right notes at the right time, the game won't mind if you hit the wrong ones in between.

Now, in PVP things get a bit tricky because you have different classes doing different things to make things harder for you. An Assassin will leap around you and generally make you go dizzy, so you need to use a snare/knockback or just try to face him at all times. All the while you're still trying to get combos off. Since it's a human player you're fighting there is always that "Oh man Oh man" going on in your head.. I find it a lot more exciting and thus quasi-adrenaline inducing.

Or maybe I'm just a huge nerd :P

F keys? If that's close enough for you then go for it.

For me, I have the 1-0 bar, the ALT bar, Z and C, and then I use another bar for lesser-used skills I still want on keys.

On my Ranger, 1,2,3 is my directionals and 4-0 are melee combos.
    ALT + 1-0 is my bow combos
    Z is to lay a trap
    C is to switch weapons
    Then I have Insert, Home, PgUp, Delete, End, Pgdown all to skills that don't need to be "twitch" used.. like Track, my stances, etc.

Edit; Also keep in mind that, unlike UI settings, control settings are shared across all characters. So, if I were to use my F keys for things on my ranger I could no longer use F1-F6 to select group members on my Priest.

Dude, I have a G15. Thanks for reminding me!

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    have you tried ignore?

Indeed.

There's almost nothing a good /ignore won't handle.

Someone bothering you (PVE or PVP) physically? Switch instances.
    Are they sending you tells and harassing you? Put them on ignore.

You'll never hear from them again.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Played a conqueror to 16 on a PVE server, rolled a barbarian on the Fury PVP server to try that out.

So far they feel exactly the same. Guess it'll be until level 15-ish before they start to diverge.

Echo on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Conquerors get pretty hard as they level. Get the +physical resistances in the Soldier tree, then rush for Lumbering Hulk in the Brute tree. You'll be effectively unkillable in PvE. I've killed 2 38 bosses simultaneously at level 39.

Conquerors are great.

zilo on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Confirm or Deny: Drunken Brawling = get drunk irl and pick on newbs in Wild Lands

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    Conquerors get pretty hard as they level. Get the +physical resistances in the Soldier tree, then rush for Lumbering Hulk in the Brute tree. You'll be effectively unkillable in PvE. I've killed 2 38 bosses simultaneously at level 39.

Yeah, I chalk the similar feel down to how long it takes until conquerors can get decent non-light armor.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Btw, is there a list somewhere of all skills the different classes get? I don't really have any clue about what to expect at higher levels.

Echo on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey, for conqueror skills:
    http://tinyurl.com/46bdrf

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://aoc.wikia.com also seems to be coming along nicely.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Luq wrote: »
    So yesterday I was minding my own business, turning in some quests in the Valley of the Dead. While I'm talking to an npc all of the sudden my character yelps and there's a frikkin arrow in her back. Great. I quickly hit escape and whip around, seeing the perpetrator. I hellstepped next to him (think super awesome charge that leaves a fire trail like a Delorean), lit him on fire with my huge fucking axe, turned into a demon (stunning him for 5 seconds), shoved my axe into his chest, and snapped his neck. Then my demon did a jig on his corpse. No seriously, a jig. I also sent him a tell saying, "Thanks for playing."

:^:

Djiem on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I like fury warriors/rogues in WoW. Am I going to like playing as a Barbarian? How are they faring right now?

Barbarians are rogues with two handers. You can't tank well, its alot like a wow rogue, lots of stuns, lots of DPS.

Hell, I like it more than rogues.

As for pvp, they are quite good. They crush other rogue types, do well against mages, and can sometimes beat priests. Plate classes beat you handily though, as do priests that get the jump on you.

Excellent. Thanks for the answer!

I'm coming along rather slowly with my level 5 Barbarian. I am really enjoying this game so far with no real good impressions or anything to say besides one simple emoticon

:^:

Luq wrote:

Damn that was a great read. Demonologist or Necro?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Luq wrote:

Damn that was a great read. Demonologist or Necro?

Herald of Xotli, sort of mage/fighter hybrid.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Some screenshots!
    Regicide wrote: »
    Pretty statue!
    upskirt.jpg

What the hell is this?
    turtle.jpg

AUGH!
    creep.jpg

More behemoths!
    blood.jpg

UAGH!
    aoe.jpg

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    NativityInBlackNativityInBlack Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Only 70k subs on Age of Conan"

This site is flying on the general forums of AoC:

Age of Conan Desperate for Subscribers | Epidemic Obesity | World Of Warcraft:

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Epidemic-Obesity/Age-of-Conan-Desperate-for-Subscribers

Looks shady but OUCH if could be true, perhaps IGN 7.8 could be accurate.

Any ideas if it's reliable or just another WoW fan site as the name suggests?

NativityInBlack on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's no link to the supposed press release. My bet is on fake news from wow fanboys desperately trying to bring down anything that they perceive as a "threat"

captaink on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    2. The World Has No Character

Age of Conan's designers attempted to deliver us a dark, gritty, realism-themed world that ended up feeling derivative, lifeless, and boring. The legions of gamers who enjoy MMO as an escape into an alternate world found Hyboria devoid of magical excitement, fun, and wonder.

---

Haha. False.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah that's entirely fake, some people really are desperate to attack anything they perceive as a threat to what they enjoy.

Cade on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Some screenshots!
    Regicide wrote: »
    Pretty statue!
    upskirt.jpg

What the hell is this?
    turtle.jpg

AUGH!
    creep.jpg

More behemoths!
    blood.jpg

UAGH!
    aoe.jpg

What gui mod is that?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That would be MirageUI, one of the better ones.

I personally use Faxanadu's UI Compilation and man is it awesome.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wow

"Combat system is bad, world is bad, interface is bad, everything is bad. "

And then they basically say "wait for more WoW lol"

ultra trolls

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Woo! I finally hit 40 and got to equip the dope ass equipment I was holding.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    toren1.jpg

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not reading any AoC info coming from a site with wow in its name or adress.

Also, what, it has 70K subbers on the first pay-to-play day? Not all of us have finished our trial period, we didn't get it all on launch day.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldnt care if it was 70k subscribers. If people want to go back to sucking on the Nicotene filled breasts of blizzard then fine. As long as it brings us enjoyment.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Speaking of dope-ass equipment, I have yet to find anything really good to wear or wield as a priest. Is there ever anything good to buy at the auction/trader guy?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
This discussion has been closed.