Options

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Except for the skirt, I look fucking sick. I need the skirt to be darker.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Only 70k subs on Age of Conan"

This site is flying on the general forums of AoC:

Age of Conan Desperate for Subscribers | Epidemic Obesity | World Of Warcraft:

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Epidemic-Obesity/Age-of-Conan-Desperate-for-Subscribers

Looks shady but OUCH if could be true, perhaps IGN 7.8 could be accurate.

Any ideas if it's reliable or just another WoW fan site as the name suggests?

Heh an unsourced article on a WOW site.

There are some valid points -- it takes some computer power to run but not as much as everyone makes it out to be -- my brother runs it on his college subsidized mac laptop using bootcamp just fine. Sure, low end users have to suffer with 15-20 FPS, but that's easily playable while still looking decent. Funcom has also announced some... controversial future changes and has been somewhat shady with the nerfs so far (two patchs back to back with the biggest nerfs unannounced -- Overreach[and flame lance?] and Untamed Regen), but what MMO company is free of that fault? At least launch was playable unlike every MMO I've seen... including WoW.

But what really gets me is their comment on the world being dead. The living, 3D world was what kept me in AoC after the initial let down from leaving Tortage (still the best newbie area EVER, imo). The world just feels so much more 3D than any other MMO I've played -- even EVE somehow. WoW's terrain is really pretty flat when you look at it -- at most there might be a cliff or two in the way that blocks your path, but each zone is pretty much a flat plane with various gradients. With AoC (check out the northern half of Wild Lands for the best landscape design ever) you're crawling all over mountains, getting trapped in ravines, and swimming up rivers (and waterfalls, lol) and the quest designs encourage it. [Prey] mobs run from players actively, and resource nodes have mini-events to keep even boring farming relatively entertaining. Even the mini-dungeons are unique, compared to WoW's 3 or 4 cave templates.

Anyway, AoC has many things wrong with it, but they really did a bang up job designing the world. Also don't trust mysterious "press release" numbers without a source.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This gaming is going to be fucking amazing in two months instead of just really great.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    I mean, I -like- WoW. I saw my friend playing WoW yesterday, and I've been playing AoC since release, and it was like Mario 64 vs Mario 1. Both have their merits, you sort of do the same thing in both, but yeah, there are differences.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I find the comment about the world looking bland rings true in some of the cities (Khemi looks like a sandcastle village made out of dried turd) but the environments are nice. Like the oases (sp?) in the desert area, the steep cliffs and mountains, and especially Tortage (please tell me there is more jungle in this game!!!). I never much liked the whole groady barbaric setting, but what ya gonna do? It was 10,000 fucking BC.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Bwahaha. I decapitated two pict with one stroke.

Echo on
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can has guild invite? For the PVP server one.
    I tried telling everyone listed on the front page last night and no one was online. You guys using different names or something?

Also, I seriously need a 3rd arm, the thought keeps going through my head. I'm only level 8 on my bear shaman but I'm already wishing I had a 3rd arm.
    1 arm for the movement/spells (which I dont have room to place anywhere conveniently cuz of 1,2,3 being taken), 1 arm for executing combos, 1 arm for mouse.
    Anyone else getting that feeling?

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tried telling everyone listed on the front page last night and no one was online. You guys using different names or something?

Also, I seriously need a 3rd arm, the thought keeps going through my head. I'm only level 8 on my bear shaman but I'm already wishing I had a 3rd arm.
    1 arm for the movement/spells (which I dont have room to place anywhere conveniently cuz of 1,2,3 being taken), 1 arm for executing combos, 1 arm for mouse.

I did. What I ended up realzing is that most things die within 3 combos. This isn't counting the sweep AoE combo.

So, what I did was, kept normal attacks at 1,2,3

I put my best UL combo under Alt +1, best mid under Alt +2, best UR Alt+3. What's good about this is, just flick alt, while mashing which direction you want to hit, and you are already hitting the first direction in the combo.

The AOE combo I put under 4 cause I use it a lot.

And then, while my last Combo (if the guy dares to be alive after the third combo) is executing I put my mouse over the next combo and click it.

Remember, you can queue a couple of moves, so once the animation starts for your combo, click the mouse on the next.

Under that system, I feel totally in control, though a third arm for scratching wouldn't be bad. :P

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah, I'm finding it best to keep the combat and combo keys close together. Also, try the side buttons on your mouse for movement. You can only go forward but then you can still turn with the mouse. I'm gonna try working on some macros on my G15 and see if those help.

About the guild invite: keep trying to message the officers, they need to be on at the same time as you to send an invite. Remember, the server is Stormrage or somesuch.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    2. The World Has No Character

Age of Conan's designers attempted to deliver us a dark, gritty, realism-themed world that ended up feeling derivative, lifeless, and boring. The legions of gamers who enjoy MMO as an escape into an alternate world found Hyboria devoid of magical excitement, fun, and wonder.

---

Haha. False.

That quote is just asking for awful Burning Crusade stock images. :P

In any event, the whole Conan vs. WoW argument is douchebags on both sides, play what you enjoy. Both games are filled with complete asshats, unlike say, LotR:O. I leave all public channels in Conan just like I did in WoW.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tag wrote: »
    With AoC (check out the northern half of Wild Lands for the best landscape design ever) you're crawling all over mountains, getting trapped in ravines, and swimming up rivers (and waterfalls, lol)

I agree that the environments in AoC are really well done - the thing I disagree on is that they are not connected in a meaningful and realistic way to form a "world" - they are just isolated maps really. It may seem like a minor distinction, but for explorers and people craving a really immersive environment, it just doesn't work. And it is a shame, because a lot of AoC's environments are cool and fun to expore, and feel real - until you get to the end of that zone or take a magic loading ride to the next city.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    AcidCat wrote: »
    Tag wrote: »
    With AoC (check out the northern half of Wild Lands for the best landscape design ever) you're crawling all over mountains, getting trapped in ravines, and swimming up rivers (and waterfalls, lol)

I agree that the environments in AoC are really well done - the thing I disagree on is that they are not connected in a meaningful and realistic way to form a "world" - they are just isolated maps really. It may seem like a minor distinction, but for explorers and people craving a really immersive environment, it just doesn't work. And it is a shame, because a lot of AoC's environments are cool and fun to expore, and feel real - until you get to the end of that zone or take a magic loading ride to the next city.

Its all opinions of course, but zones are pretty blatant in all MMOs.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Anyone know where I can get some actual numbers for this game? I don't know when to use which spells and what combos are worth using at all. Essentially, I'm reading tooltips making mental judgments like
    Should I use:
    "Swift hammering blows directed at the enemy's torso, the shuddering impacts rupture internal organs and burst arteries"
    -OR-
    "This mighty blow not only batters the enemy but also smashes their armor"

Hm... getting hit hard enough to break your armor probably hurts a lot, but there's something about 'burst arteries' that sounds particularly unpleasant. I guess that'll be my new main combo.
    Not very scientific per say, you see? Anyone know where I can get the damage, execution time, mana cost/efficiency, etc?

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I play a bear shaman too, and I feel your pain. Here's what I would suggest:

Get Mirrage and use the 3_small_bar option for the install. This should give you 6 neatly stacked bars

Use 1,2,3 for the attacks, and bind LL to alt+1 and LR to alt+3 and your most often spammed aspect (probably enfeeble) to alt+2.

Bind the bar above the default to shift+1, shift+2 etc. and put your combos there.

Bind Bloodflow and Renew to Q and E, Recovery and stun to Z and C, knockdown and hinder to 4 and 5. If you have any modifiers or special spells, you can bind them to shift+letter. I have Bloodfrenzy, Rune of Power, Rune of Grounding, and the Root Break on Shift Q, E, Z, C respectively because they serve similar roles to their base letters.

Bind your Bloodfrenzy/UR/etc to F1-F3 and your pots to later F buttons (my keyboard has a natural gap betwen F4 and F5 so I use F5-F7 for pots)

Put your hour long buffs on some bar out of the way. I have mine in a line in the top right, unbinded since I don't regularly have to mess with them.

This setup works very well for me and is pretty comfortable. The only problem is the occasional lost stamina to sprint if you move while activating a combo -- in 51 levels its never been an issue for me but if you're worried you can use ctrl instead (but shift is much more comfortable to hit for me). I'll post an SS when I get home tonight if you want an example.

Edit:
    Anyone know where I can get some actual numbers for this game? I don't know when to use which spells and what combos are worth using at all. Essentially, I'm reading tooltips making mental judgments like
    Should I use:
    "Swift hammering blows directed at the enemy's torso, the shuddering impacts rupture internal organs and burst arteries"
    -OR-

Hm... getting hit hard enough to break your armor probably hurts a lot, but there's something about 'burst arteries' that sounds particularly unpleasant. I guess that'll be my new main combo.
    Not very scientific per say, you see? Anyone know where I can get the damage, execution time, mana cost/efficiency, etc?

The official forum has a lot of info, but not really exact numbers. Basically, for bear shaman, the best combos are Crush Armor > Shrewd Blow > Internal Bleed though.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Should I use:
    -OR-

Meh, I'd just base on how much health the enemy loses, how much stamina you lose, and whether or not it stuns. I've pretty much narrowed down my barb combos that way.

Round about way of saying "no, I don't".

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant - sure MMO's have different zones, but it is a world of difference between loading zones that are not connected, and having a whole connected world. The obvious example is WoW, you can walk from one end of a continent to the other without a loading screen ever skipping you past areas that aren't really there- it is all connected like a real landmass.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant - sure MMO's have different zones, but it is a world of difference between loading zones that are not connected, and having a whole connected world. The obvious example is WoW, you can walk from one end of a continent to the other without a loading screen ever skipping you past areas that aren't really there- it is all connected like a real landmass.

Nah, I know what you mean. I just think they feel kind of artificial regardless of whether it loads or not. Single player RPGs, which are generally far more immersive than MMOs, are filled with the things.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The real problem, the part that really knocks me out of the immersion of the pretty graphics and ambience and zoomed-in-voiced-over quests is when it asks you questions like 'Normal or Epic' when you change zones / enter buildings.

No.

No. No. No.

There is no normal or epic. There is one place. It's a hallway. If you need a second hallway, make a second hallway, but don't make it so blatantly obvious to me that there are several versions of this hallway. Because then it really makes me feel like it's asking "Do you want to play level 4? Or level 5?"-- and that's not immersive, that's not one world, it just sucks.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The real problem, the part that really knocks me out of the immersion of the pretty graphics and ambience and zoomed-in-voiced-over quests is when it asks you questions like 'Normal or Epic' when you change zones / enter buildings.

No.

No. No. No.

There is no normal or epic. There is one place. It's a hallway. If you need a second hallway, make a second hallway, but don't make it so blatantly obvious to me that there are several versions of this hallway. Because then it really makes me feel like it's asking "Do you want to play level 4? Or level 5?"-- and that's not immersive, that's not one world, it just sucks.

Exactly. And I know some people could care less and just want to chop some fool's head off, but this is an important part of MMO's to me - one shared space that you can suspend disbelief in and imagine that it's a real place, a real world. The way instancing is used in AoC along with the way the world is set up as disconnected maps really destroys this illusion.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

No.

No. No. No.

Exactly. And I know some people could care less and just want to chop some fool's head off, but this is an important part of MMO's to me - one shared space that you can suspend disbelief in and imagine that it's a real place, a real world. The way instancing is used in AoC along with the way the world is set up as disconnected maps really destroys this illusion.

I agree with all of this.
    However, in AoC's defense, its superior graphics and music do add to the immersion. You've lost the one landmass, but you've gained visual realism.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Heyo. Its that time of the week. Where can I find the leaked notes for tommorow's patch? Cant seem to find it anywher :(

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always loved the zone boundaries in WoW where the grass would change from light green to aqua along a razor sharp line.

LoTRO has the best unified world I think, from that perspective, where the zones really exist next to each other. You can go from North Downs south into Bree from various points along the border, not just from the "zone entrance." The downside is the terrain sometimes pops into view.

In AoC I agree that the Epic/Normal prompt is more jarring than just talking to the caravan driver to get the next zone. Perhaps they could use the conversation tree to make the choice for you. However, the nice thing about the self-contained zones is that all objects are loaded when you zone in, so no popping.

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

No.

No. No. No.

I agree with all of this.
    However, in AoC's defense, its superior graphics and music do add to the immersion. You've lost the one landmass, but you've gained visual realism.

I don't mind zoning, I really don't. I've been playing games for a very long time and I'm just used to it existing, that doesn't take me out of the immersion. It's just the questions about normal/epic... that's what kills me.

I'm standing outside of the city, and I want to enter the tunnels. I don't really mind that I have to wait 5-10 seconds after I click the door to be in the tunnel. Maybe the door was a little jammed, maybe there's a nice entrance hallway where my hero had to brush the mud off his feet.

I don't know, I don't actively think of anything while waiting, it's just comforting to know that the flow of the space/time continuum hasn't been ruptured. I'm a hero, and here's the path that's been set out before me.

Now when you ask me to choose normal/epic, you're doing two things. First, you're telling me there is no tunnel. Whoops, haven't built it yet. But if you'd just tell me what you'd like to be in the tunnel, we'll make it for you right now. How heroic am I going to feel if I have to dictate what sort of heroic deeds I should be completing?

Second, it tells me I don't have a heroic path. There is no road that life has set before me, I'm just being a pain in my own ass, throwing down hurdles and obstacles in the odd hopes that I'll feel accomplished at the end and not remember that I'm the one responsible for the obstacles being there in the first place.

Kinda get what I mean? I'm a hero, doing my heroic thing, battling whatever life throws at me. If you tell me there is no heroic thing and I'm the one throwing bad things at myself, I just feel silly, not heroic.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    also most of the terrain in lotro is pretty boring and flat. there's a few exceptions that make for nice screenshots, mostly stuff involving large cities and castles and ruins

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    YoYoYoYo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kinda get what I mean? I'm a hero, doing my heroic thing, battling whatever life throws at me. If you tell me there is no heroic thing and I'm the one throwing bad things at myself, I just feel silly, not heroic.

I really liked how City of Heroes did this - where if you wanted to change your difficulty level you went and talked to an NPC and then it was set there from then on. So you only had that one out-of-world interaction to determine that, not every single time you clicked on a door and are asked "Are you lame or leet?". I realize that is not their intention, but I agree that it does ding my mental buy-in just a bit each time I press "Normal"

YoYo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Amen, Hruka. They should get rid of that nonsense, at least limit it to the 6-man instances.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    toren1.jpg

I like how cloth doesn't look awful on the assassin since thats all we get to wear. Though I prefer having my helm off just because I like seeing my facial options.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    also most of the terrain in lotro is pretty boring and flat. there's a few exceptions that make for nice screenshots, mostly stuff involving large cities and castles and ruins
    I see you haven't been to Evendim, but I don't really want to derail the thread. Each method of zoning has pluses and minuses, was my basic contention.

And you can't judge AoC on tortage alone. The other zones are quite large. I'm thinking especially of the run through Cimmeria to get to the crafting zone (can't remember the name atm).

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    logothesia wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    I see you haven't been to Evendim, but I don't really want to derail the thread. Each method of zoning has pluses and minuses, was my basic contention.

And you can't judge AoC on tortage alone. The other zones are quite large. I'm thinking especially of the run through Cimmeria to get to the crafting zone (can't remember the name atm).

evendim looks nice when you're looking at the ruins, otherwise its just lol reflective water and a tree

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone here has any kind of suggestions as to how they might have addressed, or heard someone else addressing the AMD multi core clock blue screen of death bug. About every hour or so the game totally freezes and goes to a BSOD (first I've seen since windows 2000! Other than when I had a hard drive break during use) and you have to turn the PC on and off.

It seems to be quite a common error on the bug forums, but noone seems to actually have any idea what to do. The common element seems to be AMD processors, espescially Phenom models, since it appears with almost any graphics card and on both xp and vista.

It seems to be hugely common with some patches, and rare with others. However when it is happening it happens often enough to make doing a nice dungeon group most frustrating unless everyone else is willing to wait 5 minutes for you to log back in.

When I started getting this after a patch a few weeks ago I went back to an old rev of drivers for my video card. 169.23 I believe, if your Nvidia, and that fixed it for me. Not sure what to suggest if your running ATI, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Edit: TOTP! This is the best I could come up with on short notice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ekQ2oJzh8

Unfortunately I was already running an old version of the drivers (in the 169 series) and upgraded to try and fix the problem. I'm running on a Phenom 9600, 8800 GT, Vista 32 system. So changing the drivers doesn't seem to be the answer. I just asked in case the lack of response on the issue was indicating that they had already posted a fix. I guess Funcom just doesn't care that much, and that's why they are ignoring me.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why do all the cloth vests I've seen expose a guy's nurps?

That's kind of disturbing.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Same reason why a kilt for a dude covers everything, but for women its like its like 4 strips. Eye candy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The kind of candy that gets handed out by a guy in a white van with no windows, maybe.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    The kind of candy that gets handed out by a guy in a white van with no windows, maybe.

wow that van would be hard to drive

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zilo wrote: »

Well you want to encourage woment o play as much as men. And the last couple chests my assassin wore just had an open neck but not so much chest sections. Hell outside of the reward chest for the level 15 destiny I can't think of any male nipple flashing.

I do have to say I like my neck though right now its a skull. Makes me look like a texan middle eastern porn star assassin.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    what update am i downloading right now???

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    VellyrVellyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My opinion after playing the game for a couple weeks up to level 33 is that it isn't something that I want to pay for. They almost had me on Tortage, but after that the narrative and the quests degenerated to the point where I'm crying for the release of WoTLK.

Good things:

-Graphically impressive, although not so much on my machine. I would prefer less dependence on hardware and more on art.
    -The combat is interesting, although it doesn't really seem to be much more deep than any other MMO out there. A step in the right direction at any rate.
    -The first 20 levels are very good. The voice acting, the writing, the quests, all very well done.
    Confronting the Acheronian spirit that was driven out of your body at the top of the ruins was particularly epic

Bad things:

-Teleporting and instances. Absolutely unacceptable in an MMO calling itself "next-gen". Now, I don't have any problem with zones or instances in themselves, but the way they do it in AoC is appaling. You can't just walk into the next zone, you have to click on some arbitrary doodad that teleports you there. Not only that, but the "normal or epic" thing that's already been discussed in this thread is somewhat jarring. Overall, immersion-destroying, game-breaking.

-Invisible Walls, they're everywhere. Not only physical walls, but the metaphorical version as well. If I want to jump over that fence, why the hell are you telling me I can't? The poorly thought-out climbing system falls under this category. Not being able to go inside 90% of the buildings, and having to zone to enter most of the other 10% is depressing. AoC reminds me unpleasantly of guild wars in its lack of environment interaction.

-The quest system. The quests are boring and unoriginal, the NPC dialogue is a massive failure (outside of Tortage), and they don't flow well together, forcing you to backtrack many times to finish all the quests in an area. On top of this, they lead you by the nose the whole way through. Even on quests where you are explicitly asked to find something, the oh-so-helpful minimap tells you exactly where it is. This basically turns questing into a game of "Follow the X's on my minimap", completely eliminating the need to explore zones, and taking already trite MMO questing to a new low.

-The art. I understand that this is supposed to be a serious business RPG and I'm not going to see things quite as awesome as a paladin in full lawbringer, but seriously, the "fantasy" just isn't there. The environments are for the most part pretty drab. Sure, some of them are pretty, but they also just don't give off the ambience that places in EQ1 and WoW do. The armor and weapons have a serious lack of variety graphically, to the point where upgrading your gear is pretty much just not fun. The monsters (at least what I saw as far as i played) are A) mostly humans or real-world animals B) pretty lame when they aren't.

I could go on and on about the lack of good control setup options, the terrible default interface, how lame group content is, the black hole of despair that is the harvesting system, and all the bugs and unpolished aspects of the game, but I think i'll leave it at that. I don't hate the game necessarily, in fact, it's probably the best MMO that's been released since WoW, however that's not saying much. I was expecting something worth paying for, and I was severely disappointed.
    Well you want to encourage woment o play as much as men. And the last couple chests my assassin wore just had an open neck but not so much chest sections. Hell outside of the reward chest for the level 15 destiny I can't think of any male nipple flashing.

Women aren't going to play this game regardless, I don't think any amount of nipple-flashing is going to change that.

Vellyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Vellyr wrote: »
    Even on quests where you are explicitly asked to find something, the oh-so-helpful minimap tells you exactly where it is. This basically turns questing into a game of "Follow the X's on my minimap", completely eliminating the need to explore zones, and taking already trite MMO questing to a new low.

I found myself really conflicted by the map showing everything you need to know for quests. Part of me was glad to just click through quest text and just look to the map for everything I needed to know - this is the lazy me that will naturally take the path of least resistance. But part of me was disappointed because it also took away another level of immersion and challenge - I think this is a clear case of the game just holding your hand too much - I don't even want the option there, because lazy me will give in.

Your other points are all right on target. I also think AoC is the best MMO released since WoW - but really that just speaks for the sad state of the genre in general.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    -The art. I understand that this is supposed to be a serious business RPG and I'm not going to see things quite as awesome as a paladin in full lawbringer, but seriously, the "fantasy" just isn't there. The environments are for the most part pretty drab. Sure, some of them are pretty, but they also just don't give off the ambience that places in EQ1 and WoW do. The armor and weapons have a serious lack of variety graphically, to the point where upgrading your gear is pretty much just not fun. The monsters (at least what I saw as far as i played) are A) mostly humans or real-world animals B) pretty lame when they aren't.

If you think WoW has good art and weapon/armour design., obviously this isn't for you. Lawbringer? You mean the bright yellow and white armour with foot tall phalli coming out of the shoulders?

Conan's world is a lot more believable than WoW's purple crystal infested mess. Those complaining about instances are likely not playing on a pvp server, either, the feature is immensely useful.

Your complaints about quests are completely true, though. Its a huge problem, and makes the later game a complete chore.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Even on quests where you are explicitly asked to find something, the oh-so-helpful minimap tells you exactly where it is. This basically turns questing into a game of "Follow the X's on my minimap", completely eliminating the need to explore zones, and taking already trite MMO questing to a new low.

I found myself really conflicted by the map showing everything you need to know for quests. Part of me was glad to just click through quest text and just look to the map for everything I needed to know - this is the lazy me that will naturally take the path of least resistance. But part of me was disappointed because it also took away another level of immersion and challenge - I think this is a clear case of the game just holding your hand too much - I don't even want the option there, because lazy me will give in.

Your other points are all right on target. I also think AoC is the best MMO released since WoW - but really that just speaks for the sad state of the genre in general.

I don't mind being held by the hand for questing, because levelling takes such a fucking long time and you'll sometimes get ganked halfway through a quest.
    Reaching the destination, PvPing and partying is what's fun. Not interpreting some dialog, especially if it's as clear as the fucking tooltips for skills: "You make a pact with the demon and sear your enemies in a pool of dark flame magic, engulfing them in lava". Ok, so, what kind of damage am I dealing? Is it a DOT?

Djiem on
This discussion has been closed.