Options

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys, got the game today and am currently installing it.

Gonna make a conqueror once it finishes and will join you all shortly.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the quest minimaps, because I'd rather be playing the game than interpreting a quest log and running around blindly looking at NPC names. Saves me the trouble of alt-tabbing to Thottbot all the time.

Zek on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    AcidCat wrote: »
    Vellyr wrote: »
    Even on quests where you are explicitly asked to find something, the oh-so-helpful minimap tells you exactly where it is. This basically turns questing into a game of "Follow the X's on my minimap", completely eliminating the need to explore zones, and taking already trite MMO questing to a new low.

I found myself really conflicted by the map showing everything you need to know for quests. Part of me was glad to just click through quest text and just look to the map for everything I needed to know - this is the lazy me that will naturally take the path of least resistance. But part of me was disappointed because it also took away another level of immersion and challenge - I think this is a clear case of the game just holding your hand too much - I don't even want the option there, because lazy me will give in.

Your other points are all right on target. I also think AoC is the best MMO released since WoW - but really that just speaks for the sad state of the genre in general.

I don't mind being held by the hand for questing, because levelling takes such a fucking long time and you'll sometimes get ganked halfway through a quest.
    Reaching the destination, PvPing and partying is what's fun. Not interpreting some dialog, especially if it's as clear as the fucking tooltips for skills: "You make a pact with the demon and sear your enemies in a pool of dark flame magic, engulfing them in lava". Ok, so, what kind of damage am I dealing? Is it a DOT?

I'm with Djiem. I like the minimap tips. And ditto on the tooltips. Why do MMO developers want to make it so fucking hard to find out exactly what our skills do? By all means give us all the bullshit fluff to go along with the skill, and then tell us EXACTLY whats happening. "You make a pact with the demon and sear your enemies in a pool of dark flame magic, engulfing them in lava (36 fire damage/second for 20 seconds)"

Cryogen on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They want to discourage min/maxers and power gamers. Evens the playing field, more people stick around.

All the points presented so far are spot on, in one way or another. But if we're gonna praise AoC, I have to put forward its awesome animations. I really like the motion capture they did for everything. Even the dancing looks really cool.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    AcidCat wrote: »
    Vellyr wrote: »
    Even on quests where you are explicitly asked to find something, the oh-so-helpful minimap tells you exactly where it is. This basically turns questing into a game of "Follow the X's on my minimap", completely eliminating the need to explore zones, and taking already trite MMO questing to a new low.

I found myself really conflicted by the map showing everything you need to know for quests. Part of me was glad to just click through quest text and just look to the map for everything I needed to know - this is the lazy me that will naturally take the path of least resistance. But part of me was disappointed because it also took away another level of immersion and challenge - I think this is a clear case of the game just holding your hand too much - I don't even want the option there, because lazy me will give in.

Your other points are all right on target. I also think AoC is the best MMO released since WoW - but really that just speaks for the sad state of the genre in general.

I have to say I like the minimap, however, I hate those circles that show up for (mostly) the gathering quests. Really annoying when you're trying to see details on the map but there's a huge gray circle obscuring your view.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I often switch off the quest indicators if I know I'm in the right place.

Button up next to the instance switching.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Adda wrote: »
    I often switch off the quest indicators if I know I'm in the right place.

Button up next to the instance switching.

I know. I would rather that I could turn individual quests off rather than all or nothing.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quick complaint: Poorly spaced out skill progression. I think my BS got an ability at 11 (maybe even 10) and then hasn't gotten one since and I'm 14. At such a low level, going 4 levels between picking up skills is kind of lame... there's a lot of skills I should be gaining. As such, I'll be getting 5 abilities at 15, but I can't help but wish it were spaced out better.

Good news: Funcom is hiring every single job position out there. This isn't a bad thing as the folks on AoC general forums lamented, it's a good thing. AoC is doing well, Funcom has more money for AoC now, and can expand. Bugs will be fixed quicker, content will be added faster. Best of all, seige will be fixed easily. Why? Because I'm pretty sure seige suffered the same problems as WoW-release. WoW had too many people on their servers, the servers couldn't handle it, WoW lagged. WoW then added more and better server hardware, and everything got fixed. Funcom didn't have money for great server hardware, hence lag. Now they have money... lag will soon go away.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Someone actually dislikes the quest indicators? Jesus talk about loving a stupid feature from WoW. And the art design? I guess I like the semi realism/ultra violence. I mean coming upon a bonfire of human bodies is just a disturbing sight.

The game has some issues but I have faith in the development team as they work through things. One of the complaints that cracks me up is the voiced dialogue, at first its awesome but everytime I've been in tortage afterwards I've skipped it and I'd be bothered as all hell if it was in the full game. I played eq2 it's fun for a bit but then you just end up reading the text.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Quick complaint: Poorly spaced out skill progression. I think my BS got an ability at 11 (maybe even 10) and then hasn't gotten one since and I'm 14. At such a low level, going 4 levels between picking up skills is kind of lame... there's a lot of skills I should be gaining. As such, I'll be getting 5 abilities at 15, but I can't help but wish it were spaced out better.

Good news: Funcom is hiring every single job position out there. This isn't a bad thing as the folks on AoC general forums lamented, it's a good thing. AoC is doing well, Funcom has more money for AoC now, and can expand. Bugs will be fixed quicker, content will be added faster. Best of all, seige will be fixed easily. Why? Because I'm pretty sure seige suffered the same problems as WoW-release. WoW had too many people on their servers, the servers couldn't handle it, WoW lagged. WoW then added more and better server hardware, and everything got fixed. Funcom didn't have money for great server hardware, hence lag. Now they have money... lag will soon go away.

I haven't experienced much lag in the game, just the occasional spikes. I figure it means they have a lot of people playing and its a good thing for them. Hell at least the servers are more stable then just about every other launch mmo I've played WoW had ques and crashes all through their first month so far nothing like that in AoC.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Hay guys
    Can someone shoot me one of the trial codes? I just got a laptop that can run this

Me Too! on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    AFAIK trial codes aren't active yet, what with the wanging of the servers.

Echo on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Dammit
    I could've sworn that someone told me you guys had trial codes to hand out

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I need some help, guys. Can anyone please provide some decent descriptions of the classes? What sort of spells/abilities they focus on, or what their pro/con are, or how balanced they are, anything but the stupid fluff text that every fan-site copy/pastes that's as usual absolutely meaningless?

I tried asking for this on the AoC general forums but there are only 2 personalities on that forum. #1 is the guy whining about his class sucking or about the FOTM being too OP. 3 of my replies were along this line. #2 is the touchy-feely-you-dont-need-numbers-or-information sort, the kind of people that not only choose to play classes based solely on a name, but insist that everyone else does the same. I don't need you guys to post me the exact damage on every spell, but it'd be nice if I knew whether assassin meant DAoC one-shot-openner kind of assassin or WoW stunlock-controller kind of assassin or just high-dps-low-survivability-with-some-tricks-up-my-sleeve kind of assassin.
    [/rant]

Anyway, if anyone can just compare the current classes and their abilities to like WoW? or D2? or DAoC? or any Dungeons and Dragons game? I've played a good deal of RPGs/MMORPGs (just not EQ) so I'll probably get what comparison you're drawing at.

Thanks in advance.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hruka wrote: »

I agree about the spacing of skills. I think on my conquerer I got SO many combos all at once I never really got used to one and figured out it's usefullness before I got a new one. I was overloaded far too quickly. I kind of liked WoW's, every two levels u get some new skills. This bursty nature where you go 5 lvls without anything then the next level you get 5 new combos is too much.

I also liked how on the 10's in WoW u seemed to get something really new. It made them seem more important and fun, and a skill on the 10's should really be investigated, cause it could change your tactics.

Oh well. we'll see if they make it a bit more spaced out.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I need some help, guys. Can anyone please provide some decent descriptions of the classes? What sort of spells/abilities they focus on, or what their pro/con are, or how balanced they are, anything but the stupid fluff text that every fan-site copy/pastes that's as usual absolutely meaningless?

I tried asking for this on the AoC general forums but there are only 2 personalities on that forum. #1 is the guy whining about his class sucking or about the FOTM being too OP. 3 of my replies were along this line. #2 is the touchy-feely-you-dont-need-numbers-or-information sort, the kind of people that not only choose to play classes based solely on a name, but insist that everyone else does the same. I don't need you guys to post me the exact damage on every spell, but it'd be nice if I knew whether assassin meant DAoC one-shot-openner kind of assassin or WoW stunlock-controller kind of assassin or just high-dps-low-survivability-with-some-tricks-up-my-sleeve kind of assassin.
    [/rant]

Anyway, if anyone can just compare the current classes and their abilities to like WoW? or D2? or DAoC? or any Dungeons and Dragons game? I've played a good deal of RPGs/MMORPGs (just not EQ) so I'll probably get what comparison you're drawing at.

Thanks in advance.

Check pc.ign.com. Under games->Age of Conan->Features they have a 2 day article that describes every class. That is what first got me interested in the game.

But over all, the one thing that stands out about every class, is that each one is soloable. Everyone is a sturdy truck of destruction, even Priests.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    But over all, the one thing that stands out about every class, is that each one is soloable. Everyone is a sturdy truck of destruction, even Priests.

Which sadly causes a lot of whines on the official forums. I find it quite tiring to constantly have to read ridiculous stories on how my class is some one shotting killing machine and needs to be nerfed into the ground.

Official forums, bleh.

Finally got back to playing a bit since my brother's exams are over (so we can go back to duo'ing) and now his graphics card just died. Terrific. I've not really felt like playing my DT and certainly not like redoing Tortage again to find a different class. Ah well, will get to 80 eventually :)

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

[/rant]

Thanks in advance.

The assassin based on what spec you use (I haven't done lotus, I'm a corruption) is a solid meele paper tiger character. You do good burst damage (most of my combos can kill or severly wound an even con), and even get some good group assistance (the generic rogue tree has feats that will reduce your threat and far enough down reduce the threat of everyone not in defensive stance, unholy has a 2 minute ability that you can pop that does aoe damage and returns stamina mana and health to all members of the party).

Stealth isn't as useful in AoC because of the light system, but at night you can get a sneak attack 80% of the time. Unlike wow these can be hit from any angle and also usually force an enemies shield in one direction over another (because you just took half their health from that location they put a straight 3 leading to an easy kill combo for the unshielded part).

You dual wield from the start too which is a huge plus for me. And daggers have a nice variety of looks. Dagger fatalities aren't as maiming as others (you don't cut anyones head off) but your enemies don't go easy as you are slicing their throat for the majority of them. On top of that because of the strength of your combos you'll get a lot of fatalities.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I asked around on general forums, got a couple useful replies, and have a biased but somewhat informative list of class information. I'm throwing it in here spoilered too for anyone's interest / misinformation correcting:
    Guardian:
    - Best Tank
    - Only class that can wear Plate Armor(best average invulns in game)
    - Fine DPS: through bleeds and the option for the longest hitbox when switching into a pole-arm to give that extra reach for that caster trying to run away from you.
    - You have two knockbacks that can conveniently be staggered for one every 30s to always have one up for when your target's knockback immunity wears off.
    - Best soldier mobility: You also have normal soldier charge, a feated stunning charge, and impale (basically a charge as well)
    - Shares the spot with Barbarians as being the least frustrating melee class to pvp with.
    - Can specialize in sword & shield or pole-arm
    - Recommended: Go sword and shield

Assassin:
    - Specialize in killing 1 target in melee very quickly
    - Can only use daggers?
    - Worst armor mitigation
    - Low hp
    - Poor stealth attack scaling
    - Inferior to barbarian in every way
    - Recommendation: Avoid, feels broken, may get big buff soon

Priest of Mitra:
    - Wears light armor
    - Uses 1handed blunt weapons
    - One of the two overpowered classes in this game
    - Once you hit level 28, chances are real good due to feat selection that leveling will become very easy due to automatic hots when being hit by damage.
    - You have the best knockback when feated which can only be resisted by a Guardian in Full Plate.
    - You have the best heals,
    - You are a caster which means unlike your melee brothers and sisters you only have to press one button for a skill instead of the 5-6 they do at level 80.
    - Recommendation: Considered OP, may get nerfed

Barbarian:
    - Specialize in killing 1 or more targets in melee very quickly
    - Can use 2handed blunt or edge
    - Can use 1handed blunt or edge, can use either in offhand.
    - You are the true melee dps class of this game
    - Dual wield gives you amazing single and 2-3 target dps.
    - You have access to stuns/knockdowns that simply require a weapon swap.
    - Currently you can one-shot anything that doesn't have soldier level hps with a lucky CoS (but is some what easy to stop in pvp.)
    - Recommendation: Go 2hander until 40 and then respec to Duel Wield.

Dark Templar:
    - Can wear heavy armor
    - You are limited to one-handed weapons so you can't switch into a two-hander for the longer reach when trying to run down a runner.
    - There are no special end game raid content that requires anything beyond a basic tank n spank, and so there is no real niche needed for what looked to be the aoe tank.
    - That said, any situation that allows for aoe damage and you can do respectable dps.
    - You can also do decent burst against any target with a mana bar.
    - Your mana bar is basically to buff you and is almost useless once done buffing.
    -Recommendation: Feels broken

Ranger:
    - Medium armor
    - Uses 1handed blunt and edge
    - You have a choice between xbows and bows. Bows have much better range and rate of fire. Xbows hit much harder and crits from a Xbow can make grown men pee.
    - They are a peak early fade badly at late game class.
    - Still, their ability to see people who hide is nice, especially since all it takes is a trap to take the person out.
    - Recommendation: If you are the type who likes to ejaculate early, ie: You're just looking for what to play to go gank chumps in White Sands, this is the class for you.

ToS:
    - Wears light armor
    - Has AOE ranged spells
    - Has AOE root
    - Has Stun
    - Debatable which is considered more overpowered, but probably the ToS over the PoM.
    - Since pvp is about burst damage, for pvp purposes this class is king.
    - Extreme burst damage when factored in with their heals, they are able to 2-shot non soldiers if they get a lucky crit (one of which is a guarantee, but the saving grace is that the damage range of their spells is so wide you can get lucky).
    - Can self-heal through anything outside of one-shot type abilities, and generally only loose if you manage to run them out of mana in a 1 v 1.
    - Recommendation: Everyone considers them to be Overpowered

Bear Shaman:
    - Lowest hit points of any healer
    - Can wear medium armor (still has lower defense then other 2 healers.)
    - Can use 2handed blunt weapons
    - Gets melee combos
    - Can not spell weave
    - The ******* stepchild of priests.
    - Can self-heal and fight forever and generally will win a fight because they just do not run out of mana/stamina.
    - First 25 levels akin to rubbing alcohol-soaked shards of glass all over your body
    - Recommendation: Boring start but playable, may get buff

Demonologist:
    - Wears cloth armor
    - Has direct damage spells
    - Gets demon pet (useless)
    - It is difficult for me to say which is the worst class in this game.
    - Their burst dps is imo less then that of a ToS despite having no heals.
    - They do have better sustained dps if you care about raiding.
    - This is the number one free kill in the game and you will be ganked about 10 times the amount you would playing any other class (or at least attempts as most view the class as a free kill).
    - Recommendation: If you like fire, play a HoX, if you like suck, it’s between this and assassin

Necromancer:
    - Wears cloth armor
    - Controls undead pets
    - Has damage over time spells (too short)
    - They can nuke like a demo by sacrificing their pets.
    - They can be amazingly annoying by staying stealthed and attacking you with their pets (and if the necro is especially unscrupulous the pets can be made to stay green so can't be attacked back).
    - They have a fear, but it is an aoe effect.
    - The pets are mostly **** in pvp against anyone with a damage absorption shield as many of the pets simply can't outdamage the absorption part.
    - Low hps means higher risk of being one-shot by the few classes still able to pull this off.
    - Recommendation: A class focusing on pets who can’t get past a damage shield, enough said

Conqueror:
    - Can wear heavy armor
    - Gets group related buffs
    - Gets a combat rez
    - Uses 2handed weapons
    - Two-handed tanks that if they didn't have the party-rez would probably be completely ignored in pve.
    - Recommendation: Lacks an area of excelling for now

HoX:
    - Wears cloth armor
    - Uses 2handed Edged weapons
    - Is melee based caster, most attacks are cone damage infront of caster.
    - The true glass cannons of AoC.
    - Can kill things very easily, but can also die fairly easily.
    - Can self rez with right spec.

I'm considering playing a guardian. Melee combos do look fun, and surviving more than 1 attack seems to be a rare occurence for most classes so that looks appealing. Not to mention that their armor is probably the only cool armor in the game, and they seem to get a lot of charge/CC in general to keep players near them so they can hit stuff.
    What do you guys think? How do they fare in pvp duel/pvp group/pve solo

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn, despite the comments on assassins being the suck, I'm tempted to try one now.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I like how people say the assassin is broken, they aren't just single target believe me, our combos hit multiple targets just fine, I do have lower hp but its never felt like a hinderance. I can't wait to mess up some barbs when they underestimate my class.

I think the biggest problem assassins have, is they aren't wow rogues which is what the wowtards want them to be.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    I like how people say the assassin is broken, they aren't just single target believe me, our combos hit multiple targets just fine, I do have lower hp but its never felt like a hinderance. I can't wait to mess up some barbs when they underestimate my class.

I think the biggest problem assassins have, is they aren't wow rogues which is what the wowtards want them to be.

The only thing I don't like about my Assassin is that during the day time NPCs see me from 10 yards away when their backs are turned.

Other then that, I think we're fine. Stealth allows you to choose your battle. Just the jarring of getting that first stealth hit, is enough for you to have an advantage. I went Poisons, and I stack Debuffs like a WoW-Warlock. It's awesome.

Fix the stealth thing for NPCs (Other players it seems fine) and I am 100% as happy with my Assassin as I am with my other classes.

edit:

And as preacher said, they aren't single target. I actually like to maneuver 3 in a row, the by standers get the poison debuffs stacked on them as well. So all 3 guys are DoT'ing pretty heavily really quickly. And our combos hit several targets. I can take down 4 with a HP pot.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can't really decide how to spec my conq. Thinking about Brute (two-handers). I'm playing with three priests (one of each kind), so I guess I'll have to be the meatwall in the group.

Echo on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't really decide how to spec my conq. Thinking about Brute (two-handers). I'm playing with three priests (one of each kind), so I guess I'll have to be the meatwall in the group.

:^:

My conq is 10 points in soldier (regen + physical resistances), rest in Brute. Lumbering Hulk is a class-defining feat.

zilo on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The review above of the Herald of Xotli is pretty accurate. However, I have found that we're really not as squishy as people make us out to be. I'm level 35 right now and I've only died a couple of times. Last night I took on a guardian and a barbarian both 1 level below me at the same time in PvP and killed both of them. I died right before killing the Guardian but my Burn to Death took him out right afterwards.

HoX get quite a few abilities that help survival - demon form, a couple of stuns, and contract of protection. Plus we get a decent defense buff by Sign of Xotli.

Anyway I've tried like 6 classes and I just keep coming back to HoX - its fun as hell and feels unlike any class in any other game. We're definitely the melee DPS in this game, over the barbarian, AND we do sick AoE damage also (albeit only in melee range). I can kill groups of 4 even level mobs in just a few seconds.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, when I roll on the PVP server a HoX is looking very likely.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually, I'll be playing with two priests (bear shaman, PoM) and a mage (Herald).

ANyway. I have no idea what I'm doing, but this spec seems to have nice stuff in it.

edit: where do I go to respec?

edit edit: preferrably near Connall Valley.

Echo on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mike99TA wrote: »
    The review above of the Herald of Xotli is pretty accurate. However, I have found that we're really not as squishy as people make us out to be. I'm level 35 right now and I've only died a couple of times. Last night I took on a guardian and a barbarian both 1 level below me at the same time in PvP and killed both of them. I died right before killing the Guardian but my Burn to Death took him out right afterwards.

HoX get quite a few abilities that help survival - demon form, a couple of stuns, and contract of protection. Plus we get a decent defense buff by Sign of Xotli.

Anyway I've tried like 6 classes and I just keep coming back to HoX - its fun as hell and feels unlike any class in any other game. We're definitely the melee DPS in this game, over the barbarian, AND we do sick AoE damage also (albeit only in melee range). I can kill groups of 4 even level mobs in just a few seconds.

For me, the biggest plus about the HoX is I Transform Into A Fucking Demon.
    That right there sold me on the class.. now if only I had more time to play.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ...yeah. Using the gate in Connarch gives me "Do you want to use this item?" and then the usual normal/epic difficulty thing. Great interface there.

(m-m-m-multipost)

Echo on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008
    SiNister put up a pretty good review of the first BK siege

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46178

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DavboDavbo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Actually, I'll be playing with two priests (bear shaman, PoM) and a mage (Herald).

ANyway. I have no idea what I'm doing, but this spec seems to have nice stuff in it.

Umm. The 3 big Cities, Conarch (nearest Connall Valley) Old Tarantia and....desert place starting with K

All have NPC's labelled "Trainer" if i recall, talk to that dude and they let you respec your feats.

Davbo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ...yeah. Using the gate in Connarch gives me "Do you want to use this item?" and then the usual normal/epic difficulty thing. Great interface there.

(m-m-m-multipost)

Some instances do that, I believe just to warn someone they are zoning.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Davbo wrote: »

Umm. The 3 big Cities, Conarch (nearest Connall Valley) Old Tarantia and....desert place starting with K

All have NPC's labelled "Trainer" if i recall, talk to that dude and they let you respec your feats.

It can be difficult to find the trainers in the game but you can find their coordinates here.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Seems solid. Note that Surging Health kind of sucks right now (the heal is really tiny). You'll also probably want Goad / Goad Mob and the +spell invulnerabilities if you're going to be doing lots of tanking.

The +physical invulnerabilities feat is borderline OP at low levels. It's basically defensive stance minus the damage debuff.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It can be difficult to find the trainers in the game but you can find their coordinates here.

Thank you. I just spent ten minutes running around the entire town looking. Was it too damn hard to put him on the map?

Echo on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Thank you. I just spent ten minutes running around the entire town looking. Was it too damn hard to put him on the map?

I know the feeling. I made sure to add a marker on the map so I could find him again if I ever wanted to do another respec.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm considering playing a guardian. Melee combos do look fun, and surviving more than 1 attack seems to be a rare occurence for most classes so that looks appealing. Not to mention that their armor is probably the only cool armor in the game, and they seem to get a lot of charge/CC in general to keep players near them so they can hit stuff.
    What do you guys think? How do they fare in pvp duel/pvp group/pve solo

yes, yes our armor is awesome, I just hit 60 a couple days ago and I now look awesome
    armoredtharisgk8.png

Anyways, I have been enjoying my Guardian quite a bit, so here are my thoughts.

I played polearm to level 40 or so, but to be honest, they're very lackluster right now, compared to swords you find very few good ones as you quest/level, and half the feat tree seems broken (in the bad way), buggy, or just plain sucky. The Tempest tree definitely needs a reworking.

Sword and Shield is quite fun. I can regularly simultaneously engage 2-3 enemy melee mobs a couple levels higher than me and kill them in short order. I can even handle 4-5 enemy melee mobs rather confidently if I pop a health potion. The way I'm stated up I nullify/mitigate 20% of all incoming physical damage and have crazy health regeneration. I could let a single enemy beat on my all day and not even feel an itch.

Caster mobs wreck my shit though, I can take on one easily enough, but 2-3 are dangerous if they're attacking you all at once. And they're much slower to kill because they don't physically attack me, and thus do not fall prey to counterstrike (see below).

My fighting style is basically charge in (or take a pot-shot with my javelin/crossbow and let them come to me) and throw up my counter strike combo (which thanks to my feats makes the enemy suffer a DoT attack every time they hit me in melee combat, the enemy basically kills itself to death, it's my main source of damage (1/3rd to 1/2 of the damage I do to a given enemy). After this I throw out a few more combos and your average enemy is dead very quickly.

While I play on a PvE server, from what I've heard, Guardians currently fare rather poorly in PvP. Enemies will have a very hard time killing you, but you will also have a very hard time killing them because your DPS is fairly low and Funcom recently nerfed the (Sword and shield) Guardian's best Burst damage move into nigh uselessness. However, the Guardian can do respectably in group PvP thanks to our scaling vengeance buff (increases the Guardian's speed and damage the more his allies are attacked) and the sword and shield guardian has a powerful move called "Bloody Vengeance" whose damage and cooldown are directly tied to the Vengeance counter/buff ("mediocre" damage and a 30sec cooldown with no vengeance counter, respectably high damage and a 5sec cooldown with max vengeance counter).

Also, that summary of the Guardian isn't quite right, it mentions having multiple charges however, two of those three require a feat to use and they're in opposing feat trees (one in the Juggernaught(shield) tree and the other in the Tempest(polearm)). Overall, the Guardian's crowd control is actually rather mediocre, each weapon gets one knock back move (Shield bash/stagger), both of while can be used as long as you keep the appropriate weapons on hand in your weapon slots. The only other major CC ability we have is a shout that causes enemies in a cone in front of us to run around useless in fear and other enemies surrounding us to be stunned, this has a 10 minute cooldown however.

Bit longwinded, but hopefully that info was informative and helpful. :o

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I got disconnected.

While logging in again, I had time to give five infractions, write four posts, and lament the loading times over MSN.

It's still loading.

NEED MOAR RAM

Echo on
  • Options
    joshuazjoshuaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got disconnected.

While logging in again, I had time to give five infractions, write four posts, and lament the loading times over MSN.

It's still loading.

NEED MOAR RAM

I was thinking about picking up AoC since I'm going to have more free time over the next few weeks.

My question is, will it run *WELL* on my main machine? It's a Vista Home Premium machine with an 3.46Ghz Celeron D proc (single core) with 2GB of ram and an ATI Radeon HD 2900XT (gift).

If my current machine won't allow me to enjoy the eye-candy then I don't see the point. I'll just wait. What do you all think?

joshuaz on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd say it runs fairly well on lower settings and still looks good. It's just a real memory hog.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.