As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I put in my mammoth code on the account page, but typing /claim ingame does nothing, im not the right level for the mammoth yet, but it said i get some special belt beforehand ... is there something i am doing wrong?

On the other hand... $70 on ebay you say?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm a bit confused, do they plan to add the rhino/mammoth to the game for everyone eventually? Or is it "Didn't buy it; won't ever get it" type of deal?

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Default Update Notes - 27th of May / 2
    General

* Traders and Banks are now available again
    * Fixed some server and client crashes
    * Invite to groups is no longer case sensitive

GUI

* Added Character Right Click Menu to the Chat

yes.

(it was at the bottom of last page, D:)

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited May 2008
    suadeo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused, do they plan to add the rhino/mammoth to the game for everyone eventually? Or is it "Didn't buy it; won't ever get it" type of deal?

I believe there will be war elephants or something like that for a Mammoth/Rhino substitute. They're only for sieging and looking cool from my understanding.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You really can't get a mammoth if you didn't get the collector's edition?

Jesus fucking damn it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    my mammoth moves about the same speed as running on my barbarian as long as im not moving up a hill, then it gets sloooooow.

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    Mammoth was the EB pre-order, Rhino was Best Buy.

Personally, I logged in right as the servers came online, did a /claim, and got literally every item except the 2% XP ring from the CE. Some AoC bugs are good, some are bad.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can anyone give me any advice on getting the game to run smoothly, i have set the video settings to low but i am only getting 6fps in the starting area.

My specs are a 2.8 core 2 duo, 7950gtx 512mb card and 4g of ram.

I assumed that i would easily play smoothly on low and ugly settings.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Louie wrote: »
    Can anyone give me any advice on getting the game to run smoothly, i have set the video settings to low but i am only getting 6fps in the starting area.

My specs are a 2.8 core 2 duo, 7950gtx 512mb card and 4g of ram.

I assumed that i would easily play smoothly on low and ugly settings.
    wow, my specs are much lower (only 2gb ram and a core 2 duo 2.13ghz, 7950gt though)......mine runs fairly well though, i turned things down to pretty ugly though...sometimes upwards of 40fps, but usually around 20fps

someone posted a guide on how to do this, involved lowering shaders to 2.0 among other things....can someone repost?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Someone wanted to be dps and they didn't think of the assasin or barbarian? Sadness.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I must be lucky with my system - i have an athlon x2 4200+, a geforce 8600GT and 2GB of memory and I can run the game totally fine at the default settings and 1280x1024...

Mike99TA on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Traders are not going to do a lot of good right now, we'll still have to wait until there are enough 80s to jump-start the economy by spending their grind-money on materials and twink gear.

Zek on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Default Update Notes - 27th of May / 2
    General

* Traders and Banks are now available again
    * Fixed some server and client crashes
    * Invite to groups is no longer case sensitive

GUI

* Added Character Right Click Menu to the Chat

yes.

(it was at the bottom of last page, D:)

Fuck yeah!

My confidence in Funcom is being restored, we've seen 3 patches in the last 72 hours. Hopefully they keep this up.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hopefully they don't keep up the 4 hour downtimes..

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    Patch Server is UP!

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited May 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Traders are not going to do a lot of good right now, we'll still have to wait until there are enough 80s to jump-start the economy by spending their grind-money on materials and twink gear.

Fuck the trader, I want the BANK so I can store my stupid tradeskill items.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
    edited May 2008
    I don't really have a problem with a 4 hour downtime, or a 6 hour one, as long as it's during a time most people aren't playing. Would you really mind 4 hours if it happened during 3am-7am in your time zone? Probably wouldn't even notice.

I'm sure once we're a month out they'll have their patching process scripted, and can have it happen during the right time slots to inconvenience the least amount of people.

Go go rampant speculation.

Also, I don't know about you guys but the patcher maxes out my connection at just over 1000 KB/sec. More than I can say for that shitty Bittorrent client being passed off as a patcher for some other game....
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Fuck the trader, I want the BANK so I can store my stupid tradeskill items.

That's part of the trader...

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Photon wrote: »
    I put in my mammoth code on the account page, but typing /claim ingame does nothing, im not the right level for the mammoth yet, but it said i get some special belt beforehand ... is there something i am doing wrong?

On the other hand... $70 on ebay you say?

What really? I am so pumped that I never scratched that thing off.

Anyway has anyone had an luck playing this game with a gamepad?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The idea of using a gamepad (or that it's going to the 360) is crazy to me.

Not only is there a shit ton of moves to deal with, but on top of that it's a PvP game and being a second slower than the other guy because you're moving through menus will get your ass killed.

It worked in FFXI because it was a game built based on a control pad, but I can't imagine anyone sane doing it with AoC.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The new patch is really increased my performance. I went from a jumpy 17 FPS to a solid 30 FPS on the same settings. I was really impressed.

Also, I hit 10 tonight... which is kinda of a mini milestone for me because until 8 I wasn't paying attention to quests other then the destiny ones and was leveling really slowly.

Tav on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    The idea of using a gamepad (or that it's going to the 360) is crazy to me.

Not only is there a shit ton of moves to deal with, but on top of that it's a PvP game and being a second slower than the other guy because you're moving through menus will get your ass killed.

It worked in FFXI because it was a game built based on a control pad, but I can't imagine anyone sane doing it with AoC.

*Shrug*

I think it would make the combat a bit more fun. I recall for FFXI I was using the keyboard and gamepad in soem spastic combination.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i restarted my pc and was getting upwards of 80fps on the ugly settings.

Then the server went down - will have to tweak tomorrow.

Ah the joys of unpredictable pc gaming :/

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zzulu_picture120.jpg

We have started building the guild city

We have 3-4 buildings up. I think this one is the rogue building under construction

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't heard too much about Guardians. I made my character Krendl and he’s level 17 right now. I decided to play one since I figure tanks may be in demand later on. It wasn’t till about level 15 that I was able to take a beating from several mobs at once and still come out on top.

My most memorable fight was with 4 Black Ones guarding their little temple area. I was at less than 25% health, but I beat them. I’m not sure if I want to stick with sword and shield, polearm or mix it between the two. I do love the knock down skills. For some fights I’ll knock a mob or a group of them down (most I think was 4) get a couple of free hits on them. Once they get up, swap to my sword and shield and knock them down again for some more free hits. Very satisfying. The one thing I haven’t been able to do is knock an NPC off of a bridge, or great height.

At what level do you find potions, or can you buy them. So far I’ve only found different drinks that restore health or mana over time. That is the only weakness I saw with this class no healing. But now that I got the Defensive stance, I can survive a lot better against multiple mobs.

Anyone run the game at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 or greater? If you do, how the hell can you see everything. The actionbars are kind of small. I have a 20” widescreen monitor. I really don’t want to lower the resolution of the game.

How are the melee people playing the game. Are you using keypresses, mouse, mouse and keyboard? This combo system is kind of daunting. I usually like to use the keys for most things. But using key one for a skill then trying to hit the correct directional attack is getting a bit challenging.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm trying to load up the game and the patcher seems to be stuck in a loop. It downloads the same (I assume) 16.5M file over and over, restarting the patcher every time I hit play. Anyone else experiencing something like this?

Edit: Found the solution. In case anyone else experiences the same thing, open up Task Manager and end the AgeofConan.exe or ConanPatcher.exe process and it will clear right up.

Vi Monks on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    My most memorable fight was with 4 Black Ones guarding their little temple area. I was at less than 25% health, but I beat them. I’m not sure if I want to stick with sword and shield, polearm or mix it between the two. I do love the knock down skills. For some fights I’ll knock a mob or a group of them down (most I think was 4) get a couple of free hits on them. Once they get up, swap to my sword and shield and knock them down again for some more free hits. Very satisfying. The one thing I haven’t been able to do is knock an NPC off of a bridge, or great height.

Unfortunately im not sure if you can, on the volcano quest i had the boss guy right next to the edge, and made sure my move that finished him was a slam, he just ended up lying awkwardly in mid air over the edge :(
    At what level do you find potions, or can you buy them. So far I’ve only found different drinks that restore health or mana over time. That is the only weakness I saw with this class no healing. But now that I got the Defensive stance, I can survive a lot better against multiple mobs.

The only place for potions i have found is in the ruins place near tortage (i forget the name :() there is a merchant guy near the entrance who will trade you some potions for 5 leather whips, which are found on the enemies in that area.
    Anyone run the game at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 or greater? If you do, how the hell can you see everything. The actionbars are kind of small. I have a 20” widescreen monitor. I really don’t want to lower the resolution of the game.

Im playing in 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor, and maybe i just sit too close to it, but ive not found anything difficult to see, and if i did i would be inclined to just put up with it because oh god does it look bad if i drop below native res.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can someone in Fangspire Legion toss me an invite? Saroc in game. Thanks.

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In the centre of tortage is a woman who sells health potions. but they heal a little and give a hot buff. Not much, but it helps in tougher fights. Not sure about after tortage.

And yeah i usually hate mouseclicking skills, but so far it's impossible not to combine mouseclicks and keyboard presses for the directional attacks.

Lly on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Got the game Thursday and my Barbarian is now lvl 37. I mostly use the mouse to initiate my combos, mostly because the habit carried over from WoW. I did manage to knock a guy off a dock into the water before but he swam out and I had to finish him off.

Here is one screenie I took:
    Chronos_picture001-1.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited May 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    In the centre of tortage is a woman who sells health potions. but they heal a little and give a hot buff. Not much, but it helps in tougher fights. Not sure about after tortage.

The game doesn't have any "Heals for x amount instantly" potions, or spells for that matter. Everything is a heal over time. There are the basic health pots, but I've also seen some that sell for a lot more that heal a big amount of health every one second.

A lot of people have cried foul at this, but since you can do a lot of stacking, it's not really a huge issue. I think it will really help healers out, as they can do their DPS and not worry so much about just staring at the bars. If the heals are up then they're up, and they're gonna keep going until the spell is up at which point they can be recast. I think this will equate to more healers being out there because their jobs will be more fun, and less heal bot.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After reading this and the previous thread -AoC is looking very tempting, just got a couple of questions:

Can the game folder be moved from computer to computer? The game is huge, and has some pretty big patches i don't want to keep downloading per machine. Is there any way to back up the install or at least the patches? Can you just download the patches with out the game?

What affects the performance the most, assuming you meet the minimum? Ram? Processor? Video card? Ram on video card? Just trying to find potential bottle necks ahead of time....

fodderboy on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As far as the patches go they are actually really fast to DL and install. Not sure about the rest of the questions :)

Lly on
    edited May 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    What affects the performance the most, assuming you meet the minimum? Ram? Processor? Video card? Ram on video card? Just trying to find potential bottle necks ahead of time....

I've got a 3.2 core duo, 2 gigs of RAM and a x1650. I have to run in minimum.

My bottleneck is graphics card anyway...

: Patches took under an hour to completely download.

Tav on
    edited May 2008
    After reading this and the previous thread -AoC is looking very tempting, just got a couple of questions:

Can the game folder be moved from computer to computer? The game is huge, and has some pretty big patches i don't want to keep downloading per machine. Is there any way to back up the install or at least the patches? Can you just download the patches with out the game?

I don't see why you couldn't move the folder and run it on another computer, as far as I know it doesn't save anything to other directories.

In my opinion it's the video card. If you've got an ATI, you're gonna have a bad time. If your card is Nvidia, but doesn't start with 7x or 8x, you're gonna have a bad time. 2GB of RAM seems to be the standard, 4GB if you're on Vista. Processor is less important, the game is multi-core capable however.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is anyone running this on a Macbook Pro? My mbp is 2 gigs ram 2.2 core duo...really want to play this but whether or not im going to have a playable experience performance wise is worrying me.

GalactusGo on
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GalactusGo wrote: »
    Is anyone running this on a Macbook Pro? My mbp is 2 gigs ram 2.2 core duo...really want to play this but whether or not im going to have a playable experience performance wise is worrying me.

I have a late 2007 iMac with these specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
    4g of RAM (Still need to find out why windows is only seeing 3)
    ATI Mobility Raedon HD 2600 XT 256M RAM

I run at an average of 30-50fps on low settings with a lot of texture pop in. Even at the low settings, the game looks great.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, forgive me if this has been asked before, is there much in this game for explorer types, or is it more a level up and be bored of the 1 zone for each level range?

Nisi on
    edited May 2008
    suadeo wrote: »
    GalactusGo wrote: »

I have a late 2007 iMac with these specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
    4g of RAM (Still need to find out why windows is only seeing 3)
    ATI Mobility Raedon HD 2600 XT 256M RAM

I run at an average of 30-50fps on low settings with a lot of texture pop in. Even at the low settings, the game looks great.

32bit OSs can't use more then 3.25 gigs of RAM.

Tav on
    edited May 2008
    I've got two machines that will definitely be low end for this game:

Laptop - Core 2 Duo 2gig, 3gig ram, and a Geforce 7950.

Desktop - AMD X2 3800 , 2 gig, ATI 1950 512MB.

nothing great, hopefully runable.

fodderboy on
    edited May 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

I don't see why you couldn't move the folder and run it on another computer, as far as I know it doesn't save anything to other directories.

In my opinion it's the video card. If you've got an ATI, you're gonna have a bad time. If your card is Nvidia, but doesn't start with 7x or 8x, you're gonna have a bad time. 2GB of RAM seems to be the standard, 4GB if you're on Vista. Processor is less important, the game is multi-core capable however.

Thanks - very helpful.

fodderboy on
This discussion has been closed.