As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I hate the shitty information you get about abilities.

BS feat: Empowered Renewal. "Empowers the Renewal ability, increasing the damage bonus gained from triggering the effect."

Wait, what? Renewal gives a damage bonus? Why doesn't it say so on Renewal's tooltip?

And so on for dozens of abilities.

At least that one turns out to be great. Spirit Totem: Venom, on the other hand...

Thor1590 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    More o_O abilities: Nature's Wrath.

"All of the shaman's attacks have a chance of triggering a secondary effect on Blood Flow, adding an extra healing effect."

So I bash some skulls, I see Nature's Wrath stack up to ten times, saying a whopping "adds 1950% to healing". When I use Blood Flow, the stack vanishes. Logically, I assume that the bonus is added to that Blood Flow.

I see no difference whatsoever in healing done from Blood Flow.

Echo on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have to say, with the exception of a few ass hats I have had no trouble in PvP. The best thing about it is, that typically they hang around the spawn points, so if you get killed, just run around them, go 20 yards away and their A.D.D. asses forget about you.

As an Assassin, I like the idea of sneaking and killing people. I also like the no factions because you can talk to your kills afterwards. It makes you more "human" and frankly, they stop killing you.

Yesterday I was ........I don't know the names of any of the zones to tell you the truth, I was hunting for Lynx Teeth, and I was fighting the boss and some PoM kills me right after I fight the boss. I am like, ITS ON!!!!! I respawn, go after him, and I am stealthed looking for him. He comes hopping down the road, and loots a chest left on the floor, I sneak up, KNIFE in the left side of the throat, and then I crit combo for the other half of his half, and it ends with my slitting his throat. It was awesome!

I get a tell:

"LOL! Yeah, I deserved that, but I cleared the way to the boss and you stole him"

I send back:
    "HA! My fault, if I had known that I wouldn't have grabbed him. He was hte only lynx I saw"

He sends back:
    "No worries."

We pass eachother later on and just go about our business. Think of how many Tauren have been slaugthered because of a lack of communication. can't we all just get along?

DrunkMc on
  • Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    More o_O abilities: Nature's Wrath.

"All of the shaman's attacks have a chance of triggering a secondary effect on Blood Flow, adding an extra healing effect."

So I bash some skulls, I see Nature's Wrath stack up to ten times, saying a whopping "adds 1950% to healing". When I use Blood Flow, the stack vanishes. Logically, I assume that the bonus is added to that Blood Flow.

I see no difference whatsoever in healing done from Blood Flow.

It adds a second little number on top of the initial heal, not the recurring HoT. Meaning, it makes it a little better as a burst heal. Of course, the heal's effectiveness is only half so good on you as on anyone else, but it gets better.

Thor1590 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    our allies are so big on our server (the biggest eu server) that they might give us a battlekeep. That's how easy of a time they have of enforcing their way in the world right now.

Reminds me of BoB in EvE and how they reigned supreme for some time, which of course lead to uprisings from other fronts and the great war and...

I think the PvP could turn out so good in this game if the devs just put some things into the game to stimulate it. For starters, the PvP system.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I cancelled my AoC account because of issues which ruined immersion and were simply too large for me to overcome.

I LIKE the game and the lore and the graphics and have had no real problems with disconnects/framerate issues but for me it just lacks too much polish in its current state. Hopefully it'll be great in a few months.

Anyway, I received an email from FunCom asking me to fill in a questionnaire on why I'd cancelled my account and lo and behold, the questionnaire contained typos and had questions/answers which made no sense.

I had to lol.

I should have responded that I would return to their Questionnaire in a few months when perhaps the bugs have been ironed out...

Grenn on
    edited June 2008
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    It adds a second little number on top of the initial heal, not the recurring HoT. Meaning, it makes it a little better as a burst heal. Of course, the heal's effectiveness is only half so good on you as on anyone else, but it gets better.

Aah. That explains it.

What it doesn't explain is why I have to ask on forums for explanations on what the hell their abilities do.

Echo on
    edited June 2008
    My favourite HoX description is the one that says one of our spells silences the target if we use it on them

When, in actuality, we have to hit the target with the spell literally a second before the enemies spell goes off, or they wont be silenced at all. Oh, and the fact that the skill doesn't silence them, it just gives the HoX immunity for one second against the spell, IF you time the whole thing right in the first place.

It's all very complicated, something not reflected by the feat description <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    I have to say, with the exception of a few ass hats I have had no trouble in PvP. The best thing about it is, that typically they hang around the spawn points, so if you get killed, just run around them, go 20 yards away and their A.D.D. asses forget about you.

As an Assassin, I like the idea of sneaking and killing people. I also like the no factions because you can talk to your kills afterwards. It makes you more "human" and frankly, they stop killing you.

Yesterday I was ........I don't know the names of any of the zones to tell you the truth, I was hunting for Lynx Teeth, and I was fighting the boss and some PoM kills me right after I fight the boss. I am like, ITS ON!!!!! I respawn, go after him, and I am stealthed looking for him. He comes hopping down the road, and loots a chest left on the floor, I sneak up, KNIFE in the left side of the throat, and then I crit combo for the other half of his half, and it ends with my slitting his throat. It was awesome!

I get a tell:

"LOL! Yeah, I deserved that, but I cleared the way to the boss and you stole him"

I send back:
    "HA! My fault, if I had known that I wouldn't have grabbed him. He was hte only lynx I saw"

He sends back:
    "No worries."

We pass eachother later on and just go about our business. Think of how many Tauren have been slaugthered because of a lack of communication. can't we all just get along?

The man makes a good point. This is exactly why Horde and Alliance hated on each other so much. Blizzard wanted to remove communication between factions because they were afraid of all the shit-talk that would ensue between them. But they also took away the humanity of combat, because when you can't communicate with your enemy, they just become another mob, and it's okay to gank them.

In fact, maybe this is exactly what they were aiming for. Eternal strife, a growing hatred. Hell, it was their idea to do factions...

I much prefer AoC's open system. It can go both ways. You can use your words to dissuade an enemy, or anger an ally into combat. None of that stupid waving your arms shit, trying to charrade your way into an understanding.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    * Gnomancer hugs you *
    * Gnomancer blows you a kiss *
    [Party] [Orcinator]: Hey guys I think this guys trying to come onto us, lets get him!

Scroffus on
    edited June 2008
    And for the record, I still don't get the promisd 1950% bonus to Blood Flow.

edit: ok, this is what the combat log says with ten stacks of Nature's Wrath, with "1950%" on the tooltip.
    Your Blood Flow (Rank 1) heals you for 9.
    Your Nature's Wrath heals you for 27.

27 healing is 1950% of what, exactly? :P

edit edit: oh, now I get it. There's the Nature's Wrath stackable buff on you, and then a hidden Nature's Wrath healing spell that you can't see anywhere that heals for fuckall, which then adds up to a whopping 27 health with 1950% bonus to it.

Echo on
    edited June 2008
    I like the bug where NPCs slide around on the ground, sitting. Fart-based levitation?

Echo on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    haha. now there's one less class capable of killing my high level priest. lovin' bein' overpowered as fuck.

Kevar on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    lightning strike is on a two second cooldown

this is how much damage priests do, without needing to be in melee range, without needing to perform a combo.

Kevar on
    edited June 2008
    I crit a level 82 boss for 12000 damage with my pillar of flame on my HoX

Although I do admit that it is strange that priests get both dps, heals and light armor + shields. Seems a bit excessive.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I crit a level 82 boss for 12000 damage with my pillar of flame on my HoX

Although I do admit that it is strange that priests get both dps, heals and light armor + shields. Seems a bit excessive.

And yet everyone says "Well, you're a tank you get the heaviest armor in the game!" to Guardians when we complain about shitty damage output. Nevermind that the Defense and Attack stats don't even get factored in PvP... :x

If I hadn't missed by renewel by two days, I think I would've canceled my account after today's patchnotes. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah PVE damage is calculated differently

and yes, the problem is that we do everything well. we have pretty damn good armor, excellent ranged DPS with no need to combo (in fact, more or equal DPS with DPS classes who have to combo in melee range) and no cooldown, and excellent health regeneration (which is more important than armor in PVP because all the burst damage classes got nerfed) and healing capability (and really we're the only class that gets this). we're like the jack of all trades except we do everything just as well as everyone else. the only way we're inferior is our armor isn't as good as soldiers, but who cares about that when you're nuking the poor bastards for 5k due to their lack of magic resistance and inability to even outdamage our healing potions, let alone our spells.

i actually want a nerf at this point because PVP is just so easy. i never die and win 1v2s all the time.

Kevar on
    edited June 2008
    What class is this? *rolls alt* :winky:

Echo on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    at the beginning of the month I thought funcom was doing a good job with patches, but not so much anymore. we get patches twice a week that barely fix anything and in most cases break more than they fix. the arena chain, one of the most important chains in the game, has been broken 3 weeks now, and the client just becomes more and more unstable. those updates they promised for June are nowhere to be seen and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even get them in July.

echo: Tempest of Set. Priest of Mitra and Bear Shaman are also powerful (bear shaman less so, since they're melee, but they're still powerful)

Kevar on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man the whiners on the AoC forums are almost as bad as WoW, why does the playerbase for MMO's all share this unique annoying trait.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kevar wrote: »
    at the beginning of the month I thought funcom was doing a good job with patches, but not so much anymore. we get patches twice a week that barely fix anything and in most cases break more than they fix. the arena chain, one of the most important chains in the game, has been broken 3 weeks now, and the client just becomes more and more unstable. those updates they promised for June are nowhere to be seen and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even get them in July.

echo: Tempest of Set. Priest of Mitra and Bear Shaman are also powerful (bear shaman less so, since they're melee, but they're still powerful)

more and more unstable? So its not just me?
    I haven't been able to play for two weeks because the game has degenerated into an endless string of crashes with the occasional hard lock. :(

As far as the graphics go, I don't think this game looks all that great. The lighting is awful, everything almost looks flatshaded, and everything in towns seems to flicker as I move to and from it. This is all at max everything on a 8800GTS.. aside from the very nice faces on the characters, it is not much of a leap in my opinion. Doesn't even look as good or run as well as Oblivion.

Sakeido on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah. I get several types of crashes:

1) map disappears, crash on next zone
    2) start clipping through objects like rocks, stairs, bridges, buildings, crash on next zone
    3) random memory leak
    4) loading screen endlessly alternates between "updating/reading content"
    5) textures stop loading, ground becomes black, crash on next zone

i had none of this a few weeks ago. they're making the game worse with these short-sighted nerfs and unstable client updates. the only good thing they've managed to do is fix the status bar that they broke after a patch.

Kevar on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so many necros complaining about their hide + pets exploit being fixed

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    so many necros complaining about their hide + pets exploit being fixed

Well I guess assassins had from the darkness stealth nerfed, it went from being a charging sneak attack that stuns to a charging regular attack that stuns, kind of reduces its useability. At least our ability was a feat based level 70 thing and not an obvious exploit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2008
    Heh. Doing quests in Underhalls. Level 18 bear shaman + 18 soldier (conqueror, maybe) jump me. I'm also level 18.

I destroy them both with 40% health left. Lrn2potions, wankers.

Then I head out of there and find a ToS attacking the respawned BS. So I kill the ToS. Then the BS attacks. so I kill him again.

Feels like nearly all the gankers in Tortage are brand new players that go "wooh, free pvp!" and attack anyone they see and then suck ass at fighting.

Echo on
    edited June 2008

and yes, the problem is that we do everything well. we have pretty damn good armor, excellent ranged DPS with no need to combo (in fact, more or equal DPS with DPS classes who have to combo in melee range) and no cooldown, and excellent health regeneration (which is more important than armor in PVP because all the burst damage classes got nerfed) and healing capability (and really we're the only class that gets this). we're like the jack of all trades except we do everything just as well as everyone else. the only way we're inferior is our armor isn't as good as soldiers, but who cares about that when you're nuking the poor bastards for 5k due to their lack of magic resistance and inability to even outdamage our healing potions, let alone our spells.

i actually want a nerf at this point because PVP is just so easy. i never die and win 1v2s all the time.

(PoM right) Okay then I must be doing something wrong then. I'm pretty awesome in 1v1, but 1v2 starts getting pretty difficult at even levels. I usually end up running with Hand of Mitra on and chugging potions, waiting for Repulse to recharge. Any tips?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008

(PoM right) Okay then I must be doing something wrong then. I'm pretty awesome in 1v1, but 1v2 starts getting pretty difficult at even levels. I usually end up running with Hand of Mitra on and chugging potions, waiting for Repulse to recharge. Any tips?
    level?

Kevar on
  • voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Armor type doesn't really matter in PvP because defense rating is not used in PvP. Heavier armors get some really trivial invuln bonuses, but the KB protection they give is the only real benefit of wearing them. The only real weakness healers have is lowish max hp.

I'd feel sorry for bear shamans because they actually have to melee, but a good bear shaman at 70+ is absolutely ridiculous. They get better long term survivability than the other healers and hit like trucks. Tempests are still the most broken IMHO at high levels, and I don't think that really rates much more discussion. PoMs are actually getting the short end of the stick because their damage is something you can ignore for a bit and their primary CC (and crutch) is incredibly easy to avoid.

The patch today might pull ToS down to everyone else's level by nerfing their active blocking, but who knows.

This is all from my perspective as a barb of course, so YMMV.

voodoospork on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah you're pretty much right. one important thing to consider is that every time a burst damage class gets nerfed, we get 100x stronger, though, because burst damage is the only thing that kills us.

Kevar on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah especially with the assassins getting a from the darkness nerf it was like the one class that could kill a tempest lost the ability to do it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man the whiners on the AoC forums are almost as bad as WoW, why does the playerbase for MMO's all share this unique annoying trait.

I dare say alot of the AoC playerbase came from WoW.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

it's why they hate it so much, because they're bitter about how much time they spent!

tyrannus on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I tried this game at launch but my PC wasn't really up to it. On low settings w/no shadows I was pulling like 20 FPS. I had a baby ToS that was in Tortage running quests. Two questions: Is the game still fun? I'm a carebear server player and I like to solo and group both. Second, is a 4200/2gb/8800gt enough to run this game well? At what settings? I'd like to be able to see some of the pretty. Currently I've gone back to WoW for my MMO fix.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
    edited June 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »

it's why they hate it so much, because they're bitter about how much time they spent!

Yeah I figure, most of the complaints about classes I see is not how the class plays, but how the class should play (as in rangers who want pets so they can be wow hunters, or assassins who want a variety of stealth openers and for soul shard to be like these points for combos...). Like someone mentioned on the Assassin forums, a lot of the complaints with our class is that in pvp we don't just get to press the same I win button combos for every class. And for some people thats inexcusable.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2008

level?

55. And I'm going all out Divinity.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited June 2008
    I have discovered the glory of a well-timed Empowered Renewal.

Echo on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, servers still aren't up? or is my patcher broken?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would guess they're still down because I can't get past the patcher either.

BionicPenguin on
    edited June 2008
    EU servers are totally broken. 10-second "lag" freezes one-two times per minute. Now I got booted and can't get back in.

Nice patching, Funcom.

Echo on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been getting dced every minute or so for about 10 minutes. They are doing a quickfix for some errors caused by the last patch apparently. Hopefully they do it fast.

Lly on
This discussion has been closed.