As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, i can agree with you that it doesnt feel like DAoC :)

Beyond that, i cant say. Like, i cant say. I didnt find it any more like WoW than say, EQ2, though.

I suppose, to be fair i felt that AoC felt like DAoC to me quite a bit, but nobody agrees with me, so perhaps thats what is happening here :)

Cryogen on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, some might say AOC felt and looked like Guild Wars.

In any event, one game being similar to another game in the same genre is not a shocking revelation.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't see anything wrong with playing like a more polished WoW, my only problem with WoW was the content focus rather than the gameplay.

Zek on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with playing like a more polished WoW, my only problem with WoW was the content focus rather than the gameplay.
    The gameplay was great (with a few exceptions) but the futility of PvP was not.

Fizban140 on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I'm going to try AOC in a week when my new rig gets delivered and my question to you all is; are Assassins as bad as everyone proclaims? From what I gather on the old inter-tron, Barbarians do everything better. How true is that?

Super_Happy on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Video snip'd

Is it wrong that I find that entirely entertaining?

My favorite is how she just stops playing for a good 5 seconds in disgust after the first fatality.

And at the end:

"What do apes carry? Bananas! *drags bananas to character sheet* Oh it's depressing you can't just put them in your face*

Figgy on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Its not wrong per se, but I would say I quit wow for a reason. It got boring.

I was hoping AOC would be different. It was, it just failed to keep enough interest in itself.

Kai_San on
    edited June 2008
    Kai_San wrote: »

I was hoping AOC would be different. It was, it just failed to keep enough interest in itself.

There's a point when you have to wonder if it's WOW you're bored of or the MMO genre.

I mean, there are certain things that make up what an MMO is and what an MMO can do. In my opinion, AOC was a bit too ambitious on some fronts. The graphics are nice, but siege battles are nigh unplayable. Real-time combat is pretty neat, but PVP in large groups is chaotic and problematic. Gorgeous landscapes and environments are all well and good, but what's the point when the trade-off is a 50 player (making this number up) instance and zones?

There is only so much you can really fuck with when it comes to this genre, and Funcom learned that the hard way I guess. All of the things that make an MMO appealing over the long haul were simply lacking in AOC.

If WAR is taking some pages from WOW's book, I think that's a good thing. The only thing I quit WOW over was the end-game. I wanted to play the game, not live my life in it. RVR combat seems to be a pretty good way to allow casual end-game content. If you have been following the game you'll agree there are so many unique features there that set it apart from WOW and other MMOs, so calling it a clone is just silly.

Figgy on
    edited June 2008
    Saw this on the forums. Beavis and Butthead?

Cornholio_AoC.jpg

Figgy on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I'm going to try AOC in a week when my new rig gets delivered and my question to you all is; are Assassins as bad as everyone proclaims? From what I gather on the old inter-tron, Barbarians do everything better. How true is that?

I play an assassin. I haven't played a barb, but assassins are very versatile attackers, with a lot of one shot combos that don't rely on knocking a target down (which is a bitch in groups because you knock the mob around and other meele people blow their combos).

As a corruption assassin, I have 3 oh shit buttons (single target life leech on a minute cd, 5 hit heal myself on a 2 minute cd, aoe life leech/stam drain/mana rejuv for all party members on a 2 minute cd). Popping these all at once I can survive up to 6 even con meele guys. On top of that for groups I have stacking debuffs that reduce targets evade chance and they take more damage from slashing and piercing (and unholy damage but if you aren't a necro or assassin that won't help too many other classes).

On top of that you get some bitching fatalities and lots of them because your combos can kill a mob fairly easily. Assassins also are a fun class to play and our moves look cool to pull off.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    assassins are perfectly viable at level 80.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    I don't care if I could roll a class that swings his dick around like a helicopter, sending forth torrents of testicle stench and seminal fluids... the game has lost its appeal for me.

Really, no one commented on this? Because this is the most awesome class I have ever heard of.

King Boo Hoo on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't care if I could roll a class that swings his dick around like a helicopter, sending forth torrents of testicle stench and seminal fluids... the game has lost its appeal for me.

Really, no one commented on this? Because this is the most awesome class I have ever heard of.

Send this to FailCom! If they put this in the game, I will resubscribe.

Grenn on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008
    Please note that by putting it in the game, all quests from 30-40 and all current melee combos will break, and all equipment from level 30-40 will be removed*.

* = these changes will not be documented

Unknown User on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    someone just stole my bananas

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    assassins are perfectly viable at level 80.

From what I've played of him, I'm doing fine, I haven't done pvp yet, but as far as pve we do solid damage and with the right aggro reduction feats can avoid becoming splatted.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Y'know, this game is very difficult for me.

I mean, there's so much to like. But God dammit, it has the worst online community I have ever experienced! The amount of bullshit that I'm forced to put up with thanks to the player base would cause a biblical man to build a goddamn ark.

On the other hand, I love my Necromancer's swarm of zombie minions, even if his Talent trees mystify me.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
    edited June 2008
    The problem with the community in the game right now is its still in the must level must be first group. You have people who are willing to fuck you over to get that next quest mob because they want to be the first blah. It'll get better in time as things settle down more and the fair weathers leave for the next greener grass.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Why Age of Conan is good:

I have no desire to play it.

It's made WoW's combat insanely boringin comparison.

...so I don't want to play WoW (after 2 years), and I have no real urge to play Age of Conan (stopped around 65).

Good god, I have no desire to play any mmos. At all.

I played CoD4 for like,2 hours! Hell I even got around to doing a mission in Heros of Might and Magic V.

I went and socialized.

Age of Conan is good enough to make me not want to play wow at all, and isnt good enough to keep me playing it. Shit, I think I'm gonna go back to being a normal human being (i.e. pre-wow)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Lord of the Warcraft Online: Age of Conanening Galaxies

actually i think its Lord of the Warcraft Online: Age of Everquest Galaxies

Wyked on
  • WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Why Age of Conan is good:

ill throw in my opinion too. AoC is great (still playing it and loving it) but i only want to play 4-8 hours a week now. social life has picked up tremendously since i switched over : )

Wyked on
    edited June 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

I play an assassin. I haven't played a barb, but assassins are very versatile attackers, with a lot of one shot combos that don't rely on knocking a target down (which is a bitch in groups because you knock the mob around and other meele people blow their combos).

As a corruption assassin, I have 3 oh shit buttons (single target life leech on a minute cd, 5 hit heal myself on a 2 minute cd, aoe life leech/stam drain/mana rejuv for all party members on a 2 minute cd). Popping these all at once I can survive up to 6 even con meele guys. On top of that for groups I have stacking debuffs that reduce targets evade chance and they take more damage from slashing and piercing (and unholy damage but if you aren't a necro or assassin that won't help too many other classes).

On top of that you get some bitching fatalities and lots of them because your combos can kill a mob fairly easily. Assassins also are a fun class to play and our moves look cool to pull off.

Right on, I have read that Barbs play a lot like WoW Rogues, I.E. lots of stuns and control to go with your DPS. How does the Assassin play? Also, are any of the Assassin combos tied to positioning or weapon type?

Super_Happy on
    edited June 2008

Right on, I have read that Barbs play a lot like WoW Rogues, I.E. lots of stuns and control to go with your DPS. How does the Assassin play? Also, are any of the Assassin combos tied to positioning or weapon type?

Assassins only can use daggers, none of or combos are based on positioning (well anymore then where the mobs shields are), and in a group its best to attack a mob from a side or the back (I prefer side because it allows the tank to hit dead center while your dead center combos bring shields to the left or right depending on side).

Assassins play part debuffer part hard dps'r.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kai_San wrote: »

There's a point when you have to wonder if it's WOW you're bored of or the MMO genre.

I mean, there are certain things that make up what an MMO is and what an MMO can do. In my opinion, AOC was a bit too ambitious on some fronts. The graphics are nice, but siege battles are nigh unplayable. Real-time combat is pretty neat, but PVP in large groups is chaotic and problematic. Gorgeous landscapes and environments are all well and good, but what's the point when the trade-off is a 50 player (making this number up) instance and zones?

There is only so much you can really fuck with when it comes to this genre, and Funcom learned that the hard way I guess. All of the things that make an MMO appealing over the long haul were simply lacking in AOC.

If WAR is taking some pages from WOW's book, I think that's a good thing. The only thing I quit WOW over was the end-game. I wanted to play the game, not live my life in it. RVR combat seems to be a pretty good way to allow casual end-game content. If you have been following the game you'll agree there are so many unique features there that set it apart from WOW and other MMOs, so calling it a clone is just silly.

Yes it is the genre. I posted mostly the same bitching in the AC thread - I dont like what MMOs have become.

I dont like the MMO structure that is successful. Unfortunately the side to this is I dont like playing MMOs without a good core of people consistantly. Obviously this doesnt mix well.

The only part of MMOs I ever truely enjoy is well done PVP. I loved dueling in WOW. I like arenas but I hate that they are structured to be just as hardcore friendly as raids. I love world pvp in any game, and thats pretty much what I loved about WoW. I liked in in AOC too, but the whole instanced thing makes world pvp feel like shit.

If I could somehow combine certain things about AOC (the classes being somewhat different, the much more unique combat, the combo system, ect) with certain things about WoW (the open world without zones or instances, the many group based dungeons, the well balanced PVP) I would play it. Of course a nice bonus would be getting rid of this whole "end game" word and giving me what AC did - near infinate leveling :D

Kai_San on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    you might wanna give Vanguard a try. The free-for-all pvp server might be up your alley. the different classes are pretty unique, there's a combo system, the world is huge and open, etc. only problem would be finding people to pvp against since the game isn't exactly hugely popular... though it's enjoying a real resurgence, largely due, incidentally, to the mass exodus of people from AoC :D chat is constantly flooded with "just left AoC to come back to this game, where should I level?" There's entire guilds of AoC defectors...

DiscoZombie on
    edited July 2008
    you might wanna give Vanguard a try. The free-for-all pvp server might be up your alley. the different classes are pretty unique, there's a combo system, the world is huge and open, etc. only problem would be finding people to pvp against since the game isn't exactly hugely popular... though it's enjoying a real resurgence, largely due, incidentally, to the mass exodus of people from AoC :D chat is constantly flooded with "just left AoC to come back to this game, where should I level?" There's entire guilds of AoC defectors...

I played at release. Is it still exactly like EQ in its leveling system?

ie: One quest had me killing 10 mobs that spawned in this hut.... where 30 other people were camping the mobs that spawned in that hut.

Figgy on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

ie: One quest had me killing 10 mobs that spawned in this hut.... where 30 other people were camping the mobs that spawned in that hut.

well, I never played EQ, but that is a problem in every MMO isn't it? particularly if you start playing at release and are the same level as everyone else. I haven't had a problem getting mobs to kill in Vanguard so far though. if anything, some spawns are too plentiful and respawn too fast -_-

DiscoZombie on
    edited July 2008

well, I never played EQ, but that is a problem in every MMO isn't it? particularly if you start playing at release and are the same level as everyone else. I haven't had a problem getting mobs to kill in Vanguard so far though. if anything, some spawns are too plentiful and respawn too fast -_-

Maybe it was because I played Vanguard at release. It just reminded me of playing EQ... I forget the names of zones now (played pre-first exp), but leveling consisted of camping spawn points for hours on end just to kill mobs for the experience.

Figgy on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, just bought this game tonight (I know, I'll start playing it in a week when it's done updating) but have necromancers become viable yet or is it still hur hur recast everything every 20 seconds and don't win?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aphostile wrote: »
    So, just bought this game tonight (I know, I'll start playing it in a week when it's done updating) but have necromancers become viable yet or is it still hur hur recast everything every 20 seconds and don't win?

Man, I must be tired. For some reason, the perfect wording really made me laugh.

Djiem on
    edited July 2008

Assassins only can use daggers, none of or combos are based on positioning (well anymore then where the mobs shields are), and in a group its best to attack a mob from a side or the back (I prefer side because it allows the tank to hit dead center while your dead center combos bring shields to the left or right depending on side).

Assassins play part debuffer part hard dps'r.

Thanks for info, based on your input I'll roll a Assassin and go from there.

Super_Happy on
  • King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bad news guys... I got addicted to the trader again ><;
    I don't know why I do it. I did it in WoW too. I come to play a game to be a fire-breathing flame-spreading soldier of death, I come to escape reality. Yet I inevitably get sucked back into the trader business. It's not even what I do in real life. Hell, I'm a psychology undergraduate, working as a research assistant. None of that lends itself to making Excel sheets to track the prices and demand level of trade goods.
    Blah, I'm hopeless... and soon to be hopelessly rich. After 2 days of scouring I took my initial plunge and risk. Found an amazing deal, 76 Iron for 8 silver, but it was still risky given I only have 24s at level 35. Sold most of it within a couple hours for 70s though, so now I have all the start-up money needed to become hopelessly addicted. Lol.
    Anyone else do this kind of stuff / know people who find pleasure in this kind of stuff?
    (am I a freak? D:)

King Boo Hoo on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I uh... I uh downloaded the 14-day trial for EVE last night.

damn u age of conan. so many promises.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited July 2008
    I'll be honest. I really wanted to like EVE, everyone I know who plays it enjoys it a good deal. My biggest problem was always that I'd tell them "man this is really boring, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing."

and then they'd be all "Oh, don't worry, the game gets really good in a few months worth of training your skills up." D:

Unknown User on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be honest. I really wanted to like EVE, everyone I know who plays it enjoys it a good deal. My biggest problem was always that I'd tell them "man this is really boring, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing."

and then they'd be all "Oh, don't worry, the game gets really good in a few months worth of training your skills up." D:

And the sad thing is is that it doesn't for the most part. That's their big carrot they dangle in front of you.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Which is the reason I really dislike Age of Conan. The carrot they dangle infront of me looks so delicious, however I never get closer to that carrot, in fact most of the time I felt like it was moving further away.

Unknown User on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which is the reason I really dislike Age of Conan. The carrot they dangle infront of me looks so delicious, however I never get closer to that carrot, in fact most of the time I felt like it was moving further away.

Wow, that pretty much sums up my current feelings about the game. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the shit out of Age of Conan, I really do. I don't have any complaints about it at all, I think it's better than alot of the MMO's out there currently.

I am, however, feeling alot of general MMO fatigue. I haven't logged into AoC in days. They gave everyone a free month in Vanguard and I've logged in exactly one time (and I loved the shit out of that game back in the day).

But, I've been putting alot of time into CIV, TF2, and D1/2.

I think I might just stop playing MMO's for a while.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Still waiting for the day when the biggest MMO's will become so diverse that when you shift between them, you don't feel like you're repeating a pattern

where are my god damn MMOFPS titles god damnit

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.