As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AoC just needed another year in the oven with a larger open beta

tyrannus on
  • Options
    WykedWyked Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »

isn't that what it is getting now? ;)

Wyked on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok we get it you don't like the game, stop playing and stop posting in the thread. Please christ do you go into game ons for other games you don't like to play and shit all over that too?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no one is shitting anywhere

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    no one is shitting anywhere
    Wyked wrote: »
    Rentilius wrote: »

isn't that what it is getting now? ;)

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Come on guys, we should only be offering positive remarks in a Game On thread. I mean, it's not like we want people reading to get both positive and negative viewpoints or anything.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Come on guys, we should only be offering positive remarks in a Game On thread. I mean, it's not like we want people reading to get both positive and negative viewpoints or anything.

There is a difference between negative reviews and snarky, asshole responses.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Press Release from yesterday (in spoiler):
    "It is also clear that Age of Conan has taken the position as the undisputed #2 subscription MMO in the western world."

“With more than 700.000 accounts created..."

"Age of Conan remains the top selling PC game in most all released markets. This includes being the #1 overall PC game in June in the Nordic countries, Oceania, Germany, France and Spain, as well a top three contender in all other markets where the game is out."

Fucking finally. I'm tired of the sky-is-falling shit that permeates all AoC forums. The game isn't going to die. You're not going to get to laugh at anyone. The world enjoys it, despite it's bugs, so quit your whining or get the hell out, evidently they don't need your $ as much as you thought.
    Durham, USA – June 30, 2008 – Eidos and Funcom are proud to announce that Age of Conan continues to dominate the PC sales charts in all markets where the game is available. Over the last few weeks it has remained the overall #1 PC game in most European markets, whilst also performing tremendously well on several all-format charts. In the US, Age of Conan impressively conquered the #1 PC spot for the first two weeks of available NPD data. Due to the amazing interest surrounding the game, more than 700.000 gamers have now signed up for an Age of Conan account. In the second month after release it is also clear that Age of Conan has taken the position as the undisputed #2 subscription MMO in the western world.

When Age of Conan stormed into retail stores as what we believe to be the most pre-ordered original PC game in history, it instantly became the best selling PC game of May. The pace at which Age of Conan sold made it one of the fastest selling PC games of all times, and Funcom and Eidos are therefore very satisfied to see the positive sales trend continue. As all countries report sales differently, it is not possible to get a complete overview of the exact box sales at the time of writing, but Age of Conan remains the top selling PC game in most all released markets. This includes being the #1 overall PC game in June in the Nordic countries, Oceania, Germany, France and Spain, as well a top three contender in all other markets where the game is out. No substantial sales data for June is yet available from the US market, but Age of Conan was the #1 PC game in the latest official NPD update.

“That Age of Conan remains #1 in retail stores several weeks after release is of incredible importance to us, and proves that the game has a large potential beyond the early adopters,” said Morten Larssen, VP of Sales & Marketing in Funcom. “With more than 700.000 accounts created so far we have a fantastic platform to build from, and we will continue our marketing spend to further drive numbers in the months to come. It also means that Funcom can dedicate significant development resources on evolving the game even further, naturally giving us a great hope for the future of Age of Conan.”

“We are incredibly pleased to see Age of Conan turning into an MMO phenomenon,” said Gaute Godager, Game Director on Age of Conan. “As an MMO company we know that a good start is just the beginning for a virtual world. All we care about now is to make Age of Conan into an even better game, and we have extensive plans to ensure that Age of Conan remains a top MMO alternative for many years to come.”

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

This.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    That is basically a PR hype press release, we will have to wait until August when their actual figures are released. There is a big difference between 700,000 accounts created and 400,000 still active. (Just throwing a number out there). While they will never release those numbers officially (they would be stupid to do so), you can tell what kind of situation they are in based on the august numbers. If the stock shares drop back down to 20$ per, you know there are far greater problems than necromancer bugs and broken sieges, but even I would be suprised to see them dip that low this soon after release.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, someone asked a question about assassins and until I responded the responses didn't even address the question.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fucking finally. I'm tired of the sky-is-falling shit that permeates all AoC forums. The game isn't going to die. You're not going to get to laugh at anyone. The world enjoys it, despite it's bugs, so quit your whining or get the hell out, evidently they don't need your $ as much as you thought.

The other end of the spectrum you're complaining about is you.

Figgy on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really do wonder myself if despite all the complaining going on as many people are quitting as some appear to think it is. The game is doing quite well in sales and likely shall do pretty good business for some time, the numbers it got all but promises that even if it does lose a thousand or so people per month lets say it shall still be doing better than any number of MMO's out there. If Funcom gets on the ball they can really get some of the good will they lost as well.

Cade on
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Still waiting for the day when the biggest MMO's will become so diverse that when you shift between them, you don't feel like you're repeating a pattern

where are my god damn MMOFPS titles god damnit

You'll have to go back in time to the year 2000 when "the big three," Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, and EverQuest were the leaders of the genre. Each of these games offered vastly different experiences and settings. Now the MMO spectrum is one basic model with one or two gimicks and a different paint job.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Honestly, you've got me pegged wrong. I'm somewhere in the middle, maybe even closer to the whiner side. I've seen Funcom do so many things wrong that I've never thought possible to do wrong that I'm astounded, and I've seen a ton of MMORPG releases.

However, I have a really strong pet peeve against that specific sky-is-falling crowd. The ones that before every single MMORPG release cry Apocolypse on the forums because this new MMORPG will end the one whose forum they're posting in. Problem is, those same people post the exact same threads every couple months as every new game rolls around.
    And in the dry weeks when no new MMORPG just got released or announced or will soon be released, they pull indirect statistics, usually uncited, that prove without a doubt that the MMORPG whose forum they're posting in will die. And they do this on a routine basis as well.
    And heaven forbid those sort of players participate in any MMORPG at release time. The number of threads that discuss how THIS is the worst launch ever and THIS is the most unpolished game ever is simply mind-boggling.

And it's really not the whining that gets to me, it's the sheer repetition. The endless stream of the exact same thing, and they just believe it so much, despite that it'll be false just like it is every single time.
    Ugh.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think anyone doubts they are making loads of money in their first few months or so. It would be pretty silly not to acknowledge it. They had to have sold tons of the boxes to get the current subscribers in the first place. I also wouldn't worry about sales/numbers if I was enjoying the game. As long as your friends are playing and the server you are playing on stays decently populated, why worry about it?

Oh also. The people complaining suck. The people complaining about the complainers suck. And the people complaining about the complainers of the people complaining suck. Do I win?
    If sarcasm was missed, please read last portion with this face in mind: :lol:

Shens on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which is the most active PA guild? I'm playing with my friend on a randomly chosen server (Scourge), and it's fun, but it'd be nice to have people to group up with. Scourge is full of higher level characters who feel the need to sit in lower towns and kill everything.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I honestly think the only reason AoC had such a successful first month was because of Tortage. I'm not saying it's a terrible game, but there is a bit of a bait-and-switch there. The game is really solid for the first 20 levels, which is when most people would post positive reviews and recommend it to their friends. Then you move into the real world and the floor drops out to reveal a pretty average MMO - fair enough, nobody could maintain that level of content 1-80 and it still isn't bad for a while. The leveling content doesn't really start to fall flat until after the 40s, which is way too late to affect anyone's initial impressions. The question will be how many active subscriptions they can maintain a month or two from now.

Zek on
  • Options
    YoYoYoYo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    I honestly think the only reason AoC had such a successful first month was because of Tortage. I'm not saying it's a terrible game, but there is a bit of a bait-and-switch there. The game is really solid for the first 20 levels, which is when most people would post positive reviews and recommend it to their friends. Then you move into the real world and the floor drops out to reveal a pretty average MMO - fair enough, nobody could maintain that level of content 1-80 and it still isn't bad for a while. The leveling content doesn't really start to fall flat until after the 40s, which is way too late to affect anyone's initial impressions. The question will be how many active subscriptions they can maintain a month or two from now.

I dunno, the under 20 Tortage part really kinda meh for me, espcially the second/third/sixth time through it. I really like when you get to your first real 'city' quest hub at 20 (post Tortage). The world really opens up, lots of places to explore, lots of quests. They certainly have some consitency issues with content and lack of content in particular level ranges - but I kinda wish that Tortage ended at lvl 10 so you could get out and see the actual game faster. I don't think they do themselves a favor having two kinda different expierences there. If you like Tortage you might not like the 20+ game, and if you don't like Tortage you are unlike to level high enough to SEE the rest of the game.

YoYo on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the game needs more sea

More beautiful sea vistas, like in Tortage

Also, anyone else dissapointed with Kheshatta? I found it a little dull. Pretty strange considering I loved Khopshef, but Kheshatta just felt ugly and tight and boring to me.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Honestly, you've got me pegged wrong. I'm somewhere in the middle, maybe even closer to the whiner side. I've seen Funcom do so many things wrong that I've never thought possible to do wrong that I'm astounded, and I've seen a ton of MMORPG releases.

However, I have a really strong pet peeve against that specific sky-is-falling crowd. The ones that before every single MMORPG release cry Apocolypse on the forums because this new MMORPG will end the one whose forum they're posting in. Problem is, those same people post the exact same threads every couple months as every new game rolls around.
    And in the dry weeks when no new MMORPG just got released or announced or will soon be released, they pull indirect statistics, usually uncited, that prove without a doubt that the MMORPG whose forum they're posting in will die. And they do this on a routine basis as well.
    And heaven forbid those sort of players participate in any MMORPG at release time. The number of threads that discuss how THIS is the worst launch ever and THIS is the most unpolished game ever is simply mind-boggling.

And it's really not the whining that gets to me, it's the sheer repetition. The endless stream of the exact same thing, and they just believe it so much, despite that it'll be false just like it is every single time.
    Ugh.

I don't know what's worse; the people you are describing or the other side of the coin. That is, those who go 'german kid' on anyone who says anything negative about the game at all.

For the development of the game, I'd rather see a bunch of people bitching and whining on the forums than people praising it no matter what happens or what is done. Call it "fanboism" or whatever, but it's annoying as fuck and gives the developer a false impression that bugs/glitches are ok, because.. look.. an entire thread of people defending us!

I like WAR's policy where there is NO official forums at all. It's always a cesspool of bullshit anyway.

Figgy on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You guys really don't want to make a new thread huh? I changed the title to what it should have been long ago.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just got this game. What server should I join that will let me play with as many PA guys as possible?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really hate this game's community, I ask if/why villa daily quests are solo only and get flamed, so I guess I'm spose to play single player for this questless chunk of levels and pointing that out gets me verbally burned at the stake

Ugh it's first month vanguard all over, the worst part is I cancelled and they still charged me - Funcom is really pissing me off

might as well play it for another month

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I like WAR's policy where there is NO official forums at all. It's always a cesspool of bullshit anyway.

Well, first: It won't matter, the cesspool will just be elsewhere. Most of what killed Vanguard was all the bitching on Silky Venom.

Second: You're an idiot. Just because some people don't bitch about problems on the forum it doesn't mean they don't realize problems do exist. I found many bugs in AoC, my guild was even leaderless for a week because of one. I went through the proper channel and reported the bugs, and they got fixed. Posting a whole mass of "OMG FIX OR I CANCEL!" threads not only tends to blow small problems way out of proportion but also tends to make you more likely to be ignored. Because who wants to help an asshat?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well, first: It won't matter, the cesspool will just be elsewhere. Most of what killed Vanguard was all the bitching on Silky Venom.

Second: You're an idiot. Just because some people don't bitch about problems on the forum it doesn't mean they don't realize problems do exist. I found many bugs in AoC, my guild was even leaderless for a week because of one. I went through the proper channel and reported the bugs, and they got fixed. Posting a whole mass of "OMG FIX OR I CANCEL!" threads not only tends to blow small problems way out of proportion but also tends to make you more likely to be ignored. Because who wants to help an asshat?

What the fuck are you going on about? Did I ever say it's good to post garbage AND/OR post praise on the official forums?

I can't really decide what you're trying to argue here... that posting bug reports through proper channels is the way to go, don't whine on the forums, and official forums are great to have?

Is that in any way bipolar to what I have been saying, or do you just want to call people names?

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    For the development of the game, I'd rather see a bunch of people bitching and whining on the forums than people praising it no matter what happens or what is done. Call it "fanboism" or whatever, but it's annoying as fuck and gives the developer a false impression that bugs/glitches are ok, because.. look.. an entire thread of people defending us!

I know I can read...

Maybe you should phrase your sentences better if that's not what you meant. I repeat:
    For the development of the game, I'd rather see a bunch of people bitching and whining on the forums than people praising it no matter what happens or what is done.

Taken at the face of it, you'd apparently love to see more "OMG MY CHICK'S BOOBS" threads and less "Good job on the patch, keep it up!" threads.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's not really what he said at all. He said he would rather have

"Nerf necromancers zomgzzz!!!"

than

"dont worry, they will fix everything this is still a new game just wait they know what they are doing!!!"

Both are awful, but I detest rampant fanboyism that clouds judgement beyond plausability.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can't really decide what you're trying to argue here... that posting bug reports through proper channels is the way to go, don't whine on the forums, and official forums are great to have?

Is that in any way bipolar to what I have been saying, or do you just want to call people names?

You should work on your reading comprehension some more son.

1) Bug reports and emails are the best way to get things directly to the bug fixers. Is anybody really going to argue that?

2) Whining on the forums with ALL CAPS and snarky comments has more detrimental effects than positive ones. First, all your ideas go to the devs filtered through the community handlers, who may or may not have even seen your post and even if they did might be inclined to ignore you if you were an ass. Second, alot of problems tend to get blown way out of proportion and end up, one way or another, getting bad press for the game (see numerous locations where AoC was mocked because of how big the boobie uproar was).

3) I never said they are great to have. I just said that there will always be a cesspool of idiocy (this is the net after all). I think it's better to have it in a spot where the people who run the game can control some of the stupider things from getting out of control.

In conclusion:

You are a god damned retard. Not even joking.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    That's not really what he said at all. He said he would rather have

"Nerf necromancers zomgzzz!!!"

than

"dont worry, they will fix everything this is still a new game just wait they know what they are doing!!!"

Both are awful, but I detest rampant fanboyism that clouds judgement beyond plausability.

I've seen a million posts like your first example and haven't seen anything resembling your second one.

I think 99% of people acknowledge that the game needs work. The people getting called 'fanboys' right now are the ones saying "Give them time to work on it." No one's said it will ever be perfect. The game will always need balancing and rebalancing. Shit, look at WoW, games been out years now and they can't figure it out to save their lives.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I just wanted to clarify my previous because it was a pretty rushed post. As great as it is to have your game praised and get mad props from a vocal minority (which official forums are) it is much better to know where there are things wrong.

Nerf necrozzz is inherently poor feedback and doesn't really help to solve the issue, but 100 posts/threads echoing that statement, even if they are that vague will throw up a red flag to a concerned developer. "Hey, lots of people seem to think that some aspect of this class is way overpowered, lets take another look at it and see where they might be coming from." Half of those posts you can throw out, because they come from class Y which used to dominate class Z and can no longer do so with their eyes closed. But sorting through the other half you will find legitimate concerns. The developer might already be aware of these issues, but having a community bring them up lets them know what specifically they dislike about it.

On the other hand, feedback that says everything is great, these things will be fixed, give it time, blah blah blah is the worst kind of feedback. Nothing is perfect, and not providing feedback even on things that players consider "done very well" helps nothing. Yeah okay, sieging is broken, but why? Saying "don't worry, it will be fixed soon" doesn't tell me why everyone thinks its broken.

Personally, I would rather have 100 people criticize my every decision than 100 people praising it. It sucks to have to go through it, but it will make your product better in the end.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Where has anybody said the game is absolutely perfect the way it is?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I've seen a million posts like your first example and haven't seen anything resembling your second one.

really? because they exist within this very thread

I'd rather hear about how certain classes are broken than drivel like that.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I don't think I've ever stated as such.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

really? because they exist within this very thread

I'd rather hear about how certain classes are broken than drivel like that.

How is that anything other than relief that some of the idiots that have been screaming "ZOMG THIS IS BROKE THIS GAME WILL FAIL HAHAHA WOW!" might have to shut up at the fact that the game has sold decently so far? He even said that despite the bugs people are still enjoying it. You're really gonna have to come up with a better example than this.

Is anybody else hitting database errors trying to post?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I don't think I've ever stated as such.

Nobody is saying things like this. Nobody. What the people who are arguing with the whiners (like me) have been saying is: "We think they've done a good job so far. Give them a chance."

Whatever the definition of fanboyism is, what we are saying isn't it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So wow, this game has some pretty spotty performance. I've got a pretty good system here(quad core, 8800 GT, 4GB RAM) yet I get insane amounts of texture popin constantly. Everywhere I go it's like the environment is being painted on as I go. It's awful and ugly and distracting.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Nobody is saying things like this. Nobody.

You really need to start reading the official forums, because I don't think you can possibly say that with a straight face. You have almost as many apologists and blind fanboys as you do negativitists and bashers.

I'd look up specific examples, but I'm at work and can't get there from here.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So wow, this game has some pretty spotty performance. I've got a pretty good system here(quad core, 8800 GT, 4GB RAM) yet I get insane amounts of texture popin constantly. Everywhere I go it's like the environment is being painted on as I go. It's awful and ugly and distracting.

I noticed this too. This might not actually be a bug or performance issue. Make sure your max view range isn't set to the minimum. It was on mine, cranking it up stopped the pop-in.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

You should work on your reading comprehension some more son.

1) Bug reports and emails are the best way to get things directly to the bug fixers. Is anybody really going to argue that?

2) Whining on the forums with ALL CAPS and snarky comments has more detrimental effects than positive ones. First, all your ideas go to the devs filtered through the community handlers, who may or may not have even seen your post and even if they did might be inclined to ignore you if you were an ass. Second, alot of problems tend to get blown way out of proportion and end up, one way or another, getting bad press for the game (see numerous locations where AoC was mocked because of how big the boobie uproar was).

3) I never said they are great to have. I just said that there will always be a cesspool of idiocy (this is the net after all). I think it's better to have it in a spot where the people who run the game can control some of the stupider things from getting out of control.

In conclusion:

You are a god damned retard. Not even joking.

In conclusion, where in my posts are our viewpoints at all opposite? You're just looking for a fight eh?

Go back to the official forums where you can interact with trolls, and where your rampant disrespect for everyone but yourself is commonplace.

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.