As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not breasts.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I would probobly still be playing my conq (nerfs or not) if my destiny quest hadnt bugged out on Tortage. I was up to the part where you get arrested and need to get out of the keep, but I had to log off inside there. Well when I logged back on I was in Nadini's house and still had the quest. I cant go back in, cant complete it or like quit and restart it, and there is no like bypass for it on the NPCs. I tried to petition, but we all know how that works.

So I think its HoX now for me.

There seems to be a new option in the bar that allows you to bypass your destiny quest if your fairly far in it, around the part your spoke of. I take it you don't get the nice blue item you would if you finished it but it's something you may look into, just go talk to a trainer unless you rather stick with the HoX.

Thats what I said. There is no bypass anymore. I tried that.

I like the HoX more anyway, its what I wanted from conq (mad 2h dps) and more, and I dont mind being frail as fuck

Kai_San on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So this game. Is it grindy and slow-paced like WoW? Or is it actually reasonably paced?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So this game. Is it grindy and slow-paced like WoW? Or is it actually reasonably paced?

I don't really find it grindy at all, but then I'm only 15 at the moment. The combat is the biggest reason for that though, since you can't just auto attack, you need to pay attention to the enemy and which direction their shields are up at.

Kelor on
  • iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Photon wrote: »
    warder808 wrote: »
    My most memorable fight was with 4 Black Ones guarding their little temple area. I was at less than 25% health, but I beat them. I’m not sure if I want to stick with sword and shield, polearm or mix it between the two. I do love the knock down skills. For some fights I’ll knock a mob or a group of them down (most I think was 4) get a couple of free hits on them. Once they get up, swap to my sword and shield and knock them down again for some more free hits. Very satisfying. The one thing I haven’t been able to do is knock an NPC off of a bridge, or great height.

Unfortunately im not sure if you can, on the volcano quest i had the boss guy right next to the edge, and made sure my move that finished him was a slam, he just ended up lying awkwardly in mid air over the edge :(

I did the same exact thing at the volcano, but when I was grinding some xp at the Bar near the docks I was knocking the Drunken Bully off the 2nd floor almost every time! Maybe it's place specific(?)

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
    edited May 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

I don't really find it grindy at all, but then I'm only 15 at the moment. The combat is the biggest reason for that though, since you can't just auto attack, you need to pay attention to the enemy and which direction their shields are up at.

Have you played WoW? How would you say it stacks up? Lots of traveling? Level/tradeskill grinding? Collect-a-thon quests based off of random drops? How long does the average 1v1 fight with a mob last?

I really don't know anything about AoC, so I'm trying to get a comparison to something that I do know.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Luq wrote: »
    Granted my HoX is only 14, but, does anyone have any idea how spellweaving will work for a HoX since it seems to be (so far) a close-range/melee class? Can spellweaving be interrupted like other casting abilities?

Hox does not do spellweaving. HoX takes your suggestion of weaving, stabs it through the chest with his giant two-handed sword, lights it on fire, and laughs maniacally as your suggestion screams in conflagration until it breathes its' last breath.

Boo, but it makes sense. I guess I just need to be content with flaming decapitations. Now if only I could pick up those severed heads for sustenance.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just rolled Dark Templar on Stormrage, name's Farson

Loving it so far :D

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Have you played WoW? How would you say it stacks up? Lots of traveling? Level/tradeskill grinding? Collect-a-thon quests based off of random drops? How long does the average 1v1 fight with a mob last?

I really don't know anything about AoC, so I'm trying to get a comparison to something that I do know.

Up to 20 there isn't much traveling at all. It's all very town-centric with surrounding lands. Imagine spending your first 20 levels in Stormwind and Elwynn forrest. It's about that size, with just much more content and detail packed in there.

Every collect x-amount of this (which are few) drops off of every guy who could drop it. I would say so far, I am up to 16 and I have found it less runny around and grindish then my typical Elwynn Forrest->...->RedRidge in the same levels of WoW.

DrunkMc on
    edited May 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »

Up to 20 there isn't much traveling at all. It's all very town-centric with surrounding lands. Imagine spending your first 20 levels in Stormwind and Elwynn forrest. It's about that size, with just much more content and detail packed in there.

Every collect x-amount of this (which are few) drops off of every guy who could drop it. I would say so far, I am up to 16 and I have found it less runny around and grindish then my typical Elwynn Forrest->...->RedRidge in the same levels of WoW.

So does anyone have experience with post-20?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm barely post 20 but I'm really enjoying Stygia. Khopsef province has some cool cthulhu type quests.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I climbed up a ladder the other night. When I reached the top, I fell through the world and died.

So remember, don't climb up ladders in the treasury of ancients.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh my god, I just got a Hell Strike fatality.

It involved stabbing the guy through the chest until the 2h sword was protruding through him, then letting go of it and doing a mocking dance in front of him.

Tav on
    edited May 2008
    So does anyone have a trial card that they would be so kind to give to me?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aplomb wrote: »
    suadeo wrote: »
    GalactusGo wrote: »
    Is anyone running this on a Macbook Pro? My mbp is 2 gigs ram 2.2 core duo...really want to play this but whether or not im going to have a playable experience performance wise is worrying me.

I have a late 2007 iMac with these specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
    4g of RAM (Still need to find out why windows is only seeing 3)
    ATI Mobility Raedon HD 2600 XT 256M RAM

I run at an average of 30-50fps on low settings with a lot of texture pop in. Even at the low settings, the game looks great.

I have the same iMac (but only 3g of Ram) and have a great tip for you and anyone else running a similar 2007 aluminum iMac under bootcamp. Everyone else can move on, this doesn't concern you.
    Bootcamp installs the wrong driver. The graphics set on the 2007 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo iMacs is actually ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256 MB RAM, not the Mobility XT. Google it if you don't trust me and need confirmation, like for example here.

It's basically impossible to have Windows correct the problem or properly update the driver through the ordinary Windows update stuff or even if you go into device manager and try to update it. Somehow Bootcamp fools Windows into thinking it is a different graphics chipset.

So you have to change out the driver manually. You can Google how to do that. If you have Vista, I found this Youtube clip where some helpful Brit walks you through exactly what to do here. If you have XP, the only difference is a couple of the interface commands but I'm sure you will be able to translate.
    Updating to the correct driver has given me about 15 extra fps consistently. Seeing as how I was lucky to get 15 fps in the first place (unless I went lowest possible graphics), that is huge! With the new patch today, I was running on high, with shadows off and a couple of other tweaks, and averaging about 40 fps, sometimes hitting the 60s in dungeons and the like, and very rarely dropping below 20 when entering crowded cities.

What settings do you run at now? Medium/high? The second I get home I plan on doing this. Thanks for the info.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
    edited May 2008

None available yet.

Tav on
    edited May 2008
    Tav wrote: »

None available yet.

I just read that, probably as you were typing out this post.

Thanks anyhow, folks.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Leveling feels really easy so far (I'm level 33). Fights are really fast for me (bear shaman), usually taking on 2-3 mobs at a time (nearly impossibly to only get 1 mob most times) and killing them both at about the same time (due to wide swings). Add into the mix the 0 downtime (you can just keep pulling and be fine, food is a 1 hour buff that gives you +hp and +out of combat hp regain).

My only issue is that at about level 28-30ish I found myself out of suitable quests in my home area (Cimmeria) so I had to move to Stygia to do the 20+ quests there.

Also yea, I guess the combat being fun keeps leveling easy along with the fact you level up fairly often (I started on saturday and now I'm 33 whereas in WoW I think I'd be a bit lower).

Scroffus on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    try a lot slower in wow

there are already level 80 people in AoC

i anticipate that i'm gonna hit level 80 in about 2-3 weeks, as opposed to the months it'd take in WoW at the same play rate.

i'm pretty sure Funcom has said that their philosophy is that endgame content is where the bulk of the game is suppose to be. the borderlands and whatnot - the leveling up to endgame is not that big of a deal.

edit: i mean really, if i hadn't had so much shit going on in the past 4-5 days, i'd probably be level 50-60. you can crank out about a 1 level/hr, if you really try

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Leveling feels really easy so far (I'm level 33). Fights are really fast for me (bear shaman), usually taking on 2-3 mobs at a time (nearly impossibly to only get 1 mob most times) and killing them both at about the same time (due to wide swings). Add into the mix the 0 downtime (you can just keep pulling and be fine, food is a 1 hour buff that gives you +hp and +out of combat hp regain).

My only issue is that at about level 28-30ish I found myself out of suitable quests in my home area (Cimmeria) so I had to move to Stygia to do the 20+ quests there.

Also yea, I guess the combat being fun keeps leveling easy along with the fact you level up fairly often (I started on saturday and now I'm 33 whereas in WoW I think I'd be a bit lower).
    I'm seeing alot of the 25-33 leveled characters in the Conall's Valley, trying to grab the same mobs as me.

Zilart on
    edited May 2008
    try a lot slower in wow

there are already level 80 people in AoC

i anticipate that i'm gonna hit level 80 in about 2-3 weeks, as opposed to the months it'd take in WoW at the same play rate.

i'm pretty sure Funcom has said that their philosophy is that endgame content is where the bulk of the game is suppose to be. the borderlands and whatnot - the leveling up to endgame is not that big of a deal.

edit: i mean really, if i hadn't had so much shit going on in the past 4-5 days, i'd probably be level 50-60. you can crank out about a 1 level/hr, if you really try

Awww, shit yes. That is pretty much the sweet spot for me.

Fuck man. I don't want to buy another game. But I may have to make an exception.

Does this game feel pretty time-sinkish?

Basically, what I really hated about WoW was that it took an hour or so just to get yourself in place, wait on other people, and actually do something in the game. That, and I was expected to raid like 5-6 hours a night just so I could feel like I was actually doing something in the game.

What I'm asking is: can I just play the game for an hour or two, and feel like I've actually done something?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey, what is the difference between Defense and Heroic Defense?

INeedNoSalt on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Heroic defense is apparently for mobs higher level than you. But to be honest with the stats as they are i think people are unsure. I usually decide between armour based on what looks coolest.

Lly on
  • ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What I'm asking is: can I just play the game for an hour or two, and feel like I've actually done something?
    My answer would be, yes, definatily. I'm just level 23, but every hour I play I feel like I am advancing.

Zilart on
    edited May 2008
    Awesome, my XoT gets a different set of night quests then my comc

:D

Tav on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so, is there a way to turn off the auto attacks while performing combos? because trying to use a crossbow was embarrasingly stupid.

hey look a mob, mezz shot, ok let's do a piercing shot. oh wait no, doing a 3 second auto shot, ok the mob is now beating on me and now a three second cast time for piercing shot.

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    In the span of 30 minutes I've decided to get this game. Here's my next choice: I'm looking for a DPS/Healing hybrid. I'm thinking either Dark Templar or Tempest of Set. Anyone have recommendations? I think I'm gonna play on Stormrage.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you're choices are bear shaman, priest of mitra or tempest of set then.

dark templars aren't healers.

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    Well, don't they like self-heal?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2008
    yeah, they are centered around stealing life from their opponents.

Angry on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want this game so much. Too bad my computer can't run it and it costs so much. :( [probably like $100 in my country]

Fuga on
    edited May 2008
    oh and post tortage there is tons and tons of running.

getting from old tarantia to field of the dead is a horrible experience, and that's only running across two zones.

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    Is there any form of fast travel?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Death.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2008
    horses.

stupid expensive at the moment though.

Angry on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    I want this game so much. Too bad my computer can't run it and it costs so much. :( [probably like $100 in my country]

so quest item drop rate is 100%?? : o

Fuga on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In the span of 30 minutes I've decided to get this game. Here's my next choice: I'm looking for a DPS/Healing hybrid. I'm thinking either Dark Templar or Tempest of Set. Anyone have recommendations? I think I'm gonna play on Stormrage.

Any of the Priest Classes will be good for this. Personally, I am going to make a PoM once I get bored of my Barbarian, which isn't likely to be any time soon. Give us a shout when you get on Stormrage, we'll take care of ya.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Or a mammoth if you are like me and got a pre order slip without actually pre ordering the game. I am far from level 40 though, so I have no idea how riding a mammoth around is going to work out, what with PC's having thier own clipping plane and everything.

Shurakai on
    edited May 2008
    it's either 100% or a very high percentage.

there was a few quests where i had to kill four or five mobs for the 3 drops i needed. man that was so annoying!

Angry on
    edited May 2008
    t: defrag

Alrighty. I think I'm gonna pick up the game after work. I'm going to try out Tempest of Set. Doesn't look like anyone is playing one of those.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    so quest item drop rate is 100%?? : o

Yeah! Every crocodile has a tail, it's awesome.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
This discussion has been closed.