As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Solid Story?

fonographfonograph Registered User
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Man, I really enjoyed this game. Totally hilarious, decent gameplay -- I felt a little dirty killing hobos, but whatevs.

I've seen people discuss the gameplay at great length, as well as the humour. All I've seen regarding the story is that it's "solid." This repeated mentions of a "solid story" are driving a tiny pin of burning hot magma into my skull, and I find that the only way to relieve the pressure is to press for further inquiry.
"Solid story?" Really? You spend most of the game wandering aimlessly, looking for... something having to do with robots. Your ultimate objective is clear, though: we are gonna get those goddam robots. Seriously -- some robots gonna die here. Then, suddenly, in the last 10% of the game, it's like -- no wait, mimes. Mimes are the problem here. Also there's a god that you hear about for the first time immediately before you fight it. What does this have to do with the robots? What robots? What are you talking about? Who said anything about robots?

Seriously, I'm having flashbacks to Dreamfall here. It's not pretty.

Don't get me wrong, the individual vignettes are good. I enjoyed exploring the Shithole, and my adventures into urinology. Maybe that's what people mean by a "solid story." But in the parlance of normal folk, a series of clever but disjointed scenes do not a robust narrative make.

Am I wrong? Am I crazy?

fonograph on

Posts

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It doesn't sound like you were paying much attention.
    You start off chasing Fruit Fucker Prime, and then when you return to Desperation Street you bump into mimes, which makes Tycho suspicious. You continue investigating the Fruit Fuckers, ending up in the Shithole where you stop the mass-production of them. The search for Fruit Fucker Prime then takes you to Pelican Bay, where you bump into the mime guy that explains that mimes have become a crazy cult trying to summon The Silent One. The search for Fruit Fucker Prime is put on hold to stop The Silent One from destroying the universe. Pelican Bay shenanigans ensues, you get your suped up weapons, then you take out The Silent One, while Fruit Fucker Prime sneaks away.

    It's pretty clearly explained that the mimes start off as an obstacle to your learning about the Fruit Fuckers but ultimately take priority, and The Silent One is introduced an hour or two before you fight him.

    Speed Racer on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You're not crazy.
    I too found it a bit odd when the story switched focus, but there was a lot of build up to the mimes doing something freaky. I get the feeling that the robot storyline is the overall game story, while the Mime storyline was a side-story that finishes off chapter 1. Something similar may happen during chapter 2.

    Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    You're not crazy.
    I too found it a bit odd when the story switched focus, but there was a lot of build up to the mimes doing something freaky. I get the feeling that the robot storyline is the overall game story, while the Mime storyline was a side-story that finishes off chapter 1. Something similar may happen during chapter 2.

    Yeah that's how I figured it was too
    I mean it seems pretty obvious that a different Dark God is going to be summoned in each episode

    Speed Racer on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    At least a few minutes into the album you get from Anne-claire's shelving units, there is some rant from a crazy man about how "those goddamn mimes built the robot all wrong" or something like that. I wanted to transcribe it, but... i'm not that crazy.

    I agree in general, but the story quality seems to be very seperate and nowhere near as good as the writing quality. You know?

    Jazmeister on
  • fonographfonograph Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    I agree in general, but the story quality seems to be very seperate and nowhere near as good as the writing quality. You know?

    Yeah, that. I think PA's disdain for continuity has left them somewhat... hampered in their ability to tell a cohesive story. The dialogue, however, is superb as always.

    fonograph on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    You're not crazy.
    I too found it a bit odd when the story switched focus, but there was a lot of build up to the mimes doing something freaky. I get the feeling that the robot storyline is the overall game story, while the Mime storyline was a side-story that finishes off chapter 1. Something similar may happen during chapter 2.

    Yeah that's how I figured it was too
    I mean it seems pretty obvious that a different Dark God is going to be summoned in each episode

    Absolutely.

    The story is that there were once eight Gods, four good and four evil. The evil ones overthrew the good ones, and are now trying to take over the mortal realm.
    But one is dead.

    And if they're all dead, then what does that mean for you and I? :D

    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Everything that happens in Episode I relates to each other in a very cohesive way. That's all i can say.

    Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Everything that happens in Episode I relates to each other in a very cohesive way. That's all i can say.

    was it all a dream

    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    fonograph wrote: »
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    I agree in general, but the story quality seems to be very seperate and nowhere near as good as the writing quality. You know?

    Yeah, that. I think PA's disdain for continuity has left them somewhat... hampered in their ability to tell a cohesive story. The dialogue, however, is superb as always.

    Perhaps it would be easier to agree with you if this were not Episode God-Damned One, the beginning of the fucking story.

    Those of us in the creative writing community refer to this effect as "foreshadowing", an intentionally vague and incomplete distribution of details designed to create anticipation, leave the audience guessing, and create atmosphere without blowing the whole load of revelation in the first 15 minutes of the damn presentation.


    You're like the assholes who go into the second installment of a Trilogy and complain about the ending not resolving anything.

    No shit.

    sarukun on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think if this wasn't episodic and after taking down the mime you kept on going, people wouldn't have a problem with it. It would have just been an awesome tangent with a great boss fight.

    I think once all episodes are revealed it will be more cohesive. If it didn't have Episode I attached to it, I would have agreed with you, but after playing Sam and Max: Season 1, I know how random tangents can become the whole episode's focus, but over all, there's something greater going on.

    DrunkMc on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    You're like the assholes who go into the second installment of a Trilogy and complain about the ending not resolving anything.

    No shit.

    True story.

    The first time I saw The Fellowship of the Ring, I was sitting a few rows in front of some teenage girls. When the movie ended, I heard them talking about how confused they were by the ending.

    "What kind of an ending is that? They didn't resolve anything!"
    "Oh, it's an epic. They're supposed to end like that.

    I didn't know whether to be angry, or sad. Of course then I heard a kid ask his mom, in regards to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum scene, "Why didn't Gandalf fly like in Harry Potter?"

    I knew how to feel about that one.

    Now to get on topic: I liked the story of Episode 1. It feels like we got a measure of resolution on one part of the story, but there's more to come.

    Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Captain, each of the things you described is one of those few things in this world that I feel can best be resolved with copious amounts of punching.

    sarukun on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Captain, each of the things you described is one of those few things in this world that I feel can best be resolved with copious amounts of punching.

    Gabe would approve. :winky:

    Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Everything that happens in Episode I relates to each other in a very cohesive way. That's all i can say.

    Which is pretty apparent if you catch the clues.
    The conversation with the Slumlord, the reformed Mime (especially the cut scene), the cryptic conversations with Anne Claire and Tycho. All clues that lay the groundwork for a much bigger story. I'm guessing that even the beginning cut scene (with the city and the asylum) will factor into the game at some point.
    Keep in mind this is just the beginning, this story is going to span another 15-25 hours in 3 more episodes. They can't lay all their cards on the table in the first round ;-)

    CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    You're like the assholes who go into the second installment of a Trilogy and complain about the ending not resolving anything.

    No shit.

    Well, I don't know what I did that makes me an asshole, or more accurately, like an asshole. I just suggested there was a difference between word-to-word writing skill and structuring a story, and put forth that one takes precedence over the other in this game. In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke faces Vader and is essentially defeated. This is a good resolution; he disobeyed yoda, blah blah, etc. Vader is still out there; you know there's a sequel.
    In this, they just... couldn't find the robot. Anne-Claire never came up with anything, the nut/bolt thing wasn't in hobo alley when you went back to look for it... I don't have a problem with that, I mean I ranted about the game to my poor family for days, but... they didn't even find, you know, instructions on robot building on the body of the mime pope. After all is said and done, writing is done with the reader in mind. If enough readers (players) are saying, "Hey, what? Where's the robots, why mimes now?" Then, you know, why isn't that valid? Why couldn't they have linked the silent one to, you know, the robot one more closely?

    Of course, the Ep 2 teaser clears that up. I didn't finish unhappy, but I can't ignore the argument and its validity.

    Jazmeister on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I think that
    defeating the evil God of Silence and saving the world from utter destruction

    is not a bad resolution for a first instalment.

    Shujaa on
    Balefuego wrote: »
    When I play FPS games I just assume my dude is inside a tiny plane and he's sticking his arm out the window with a gun.
  • Hothead CaswellHothead Caswell Registered User
    edited May 2008
    The regular PA comics may be all over the place sometimes when it comes to story, but don't let that fool you into thinking that Jerry isn't putting a lot of care into the story arch for the Penny Arcade Adventures. He really cares a lot about this game and wants it to be the best it can be, in every way. All detail are being taken into account, there is even a backstory for how Gabe and Tycho met in this new game world!

    Hothead Caswell on
    Michael Caswell
    QA Tester - Hothead Games
  • MaratanosMaratanos Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I'm happy with the story.

    I'm especially happy with the recent revelation that the "windowsill", the "precipice of darkness", is the gateway between the realm of the gods and the mortal realm. That's some quality imagery.

    Maratanos on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Maratanos wrote: »
    I'm happy with the story.

    I'm especially happy with the recent revelation that the "windowsill", the "precipice of darkness", is the gateway between the realm of the gods and the mortal realm. That's some quality imagery.

    And it's slick! With rain! Powerful, powerful metaphorical constructs at work, I kid you not.

    strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • RosettiRosetti Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Say what you like, it's more cohesive than your average jrpg storyline.

    Rosetti on
    warcrueid_standing.gif
    A crude broom stand.
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's really going to bust some skulls when (spoiler for episode 4)
    It turns out that you, Tycho, Gabe and Anna are the four good gods. ZOMG APOCALYPSE.

    :)

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Rosetti wrote: »
    Say what you like, it's more cohesive than your average jrpg storyline.

    *looks long and hard and accusatory at Final Fantasy X*

    strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    The regular PA comics may be all over the place sometimes when it comes to story, but don't let that fool you into thinking that Jerry isn't putting a lot of care into the story arch for the Penny Arcade Adventures.

    Woah woah woah woah woah. Woah.

    I'm not saying Jerry isn't doing a good job writing. Nobody is perfect, but lets face it, I bought this game for his writing. I love his writing. It's really... good.

    In saying that nobody is perfect, I mean... name a wonderful book that doesn't have some sort of flaw? This has a flaw too. Obviously. To claim that it doesn't is stupid, and I don't think anyone is claiming that either.

    I'm just suggesting what that flaw is. It's not the writing quality, I said that. It's not the story arch; how could I know that? The ending, it's a beleivable thing. I know I'd do the same. But its the link in the middle. It's almost a non-sequiter, to me.
    Even if they just had a cutscene between some mimes and the slum lord, or something, like he takes orders for them. Or some suggestion that linked them better with the mimes. Mimes didn't even fight you alongside fruit fuckers. It just needed more work to convince the players they weren't playing two different games.

    Jazmeister on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Woah hang on.
    Start a new game. Get to hobo alley. Go all the way to the right.

    WTF IS THAT MIME DOING?! Are they using that goop for something, or what?

    They're definitely building robots. I'm gonna transcribe that crap in the album from Anne-Claire's place.

    Offtopic: Okay, is there any easy way to remember how to spell "definitely" like that? Rather than "definately", which is how my brain wants to spell it?

    Jazmeister on
  • SoultakerSoultaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I somewhat agree with the opening post. The writing is great, but the overall story structure isn't very solid (yet!) When reading this topic I tried to think of how we got from "giant robot killed your house" to "have to fight evil mime overlord" and I honestly couldn't recall the flimsy connection between them. That could have been handled better.

    But yeah, it's clear that the robot story is part of a larger story arc and the mime/hobo story was a subplot to be resolved in this episode. It's good to have a little closure while keeping the episodes connected, so no major complaints, but I do feel the different parts could have been connected a bit better.
    Willeth wrote: »
    The story is that there were once eight Gods, four good and four evil. The evil ones overthrew the good ones, and are now trying to take over the mortal realm.
    But one is dead.
    Where did you get that four are good and four are evil, and that the good ones are dead, and that it's the evil ones who did it? Couldn't the gods be more or less neutral and perpetually combating each other regardless of alignment? (A la ancient Greek mythology.)

    Soultaker on
  • j00sj00s Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    Woah hang on.
    Start a new game. Get to hobo alley. Go all the way to the right.

    WTF IS THAT MIME DOING?! Are they using that goop for something, or what?

    They're definitely building robots. I'm gonna transcribe that crap in the album from Anne-Claire's place.

    Offtopic: Okay, is there any easy way to remember how to spell "definitely" like that? Rather than "definately", which is how my brain wants to spell it?
    When I whipped through the game, I had just assumed that the Mimes were a separate faction that the party ran across on the hunt for the giant FF. Now I HAVE to replay the game, since it seems I was way off, so I can see what other connections were in there that I just paid no attention to.

    Offtopic: Try thinking "finite" anytime you spell "definitely". That's, uh...that's how I do it.

    j00s on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Soultaker wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    The story is that there were once eight Gods, four good and four evil. The evil ones overthrew the good ones, and are now trying to take over the mortal realm.
    But one is dead.
    Where did you get that four are good and four are evil, and that the good ones are dead, and that it's the evil ones who did it? Couldn't the gods be more or less neutral and perpetually combating each other regardless of alignment? (A la ancient Greek mythology.)

    He's referencing the update on the greenhouse website; it's extra background stuff by Tycho. Himself!

    In other news, this is what I got when I played "The Unfathomable Transmissions" (Album unlock) and listened to the weird bit at the end, with notepad open.
    The Unfathomable Transmissions:

    [lots of noise for ages, then:]

    And ho, the terrible wonders this book has revealed!

    How could that boardwalk cult have interprated these beautiful, these blashphemous schematics?

    Searing my very heart, the hot brand of their monstrous power, their intoxicated... [phone rings] oh, Goddamnit!

    [picks up] Hello? Yes, mother. Yes, I'm on my way!

    That bit about searing isn't clear, and the "and ho" at the start is probably a mistake too, I can't hear it very well. It definately isn't the narrator talking, for those who haven't heard it.

    Jazmeister on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    j00s wrote: »
    When I whipped through the game, I had just assumed that the Mimes were a separate faction that the party ran across on the hunt for the giant FF. Now I HAVE to replay the game, since it seems I was way off, so I can see what other connections were in there that I just paid no attention to.
    When you get to Desp. St the second time, I think they actually comment on how absurd and non-sequiter it is to see all these mimes suddenly. Or isn't it just something about why the mimes are here, or what? It bugged me that you couldn't cap the silent pope RIGHT FUCKING THERE SON, although it would mean you couldn't get his soul later. Unless it was... still there?

    Jazmeister on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    You're like the assholes who go into the second installment of a Trilogy and complain about the ending not resolving anything.

    No shit.

    Well, I don't know what I did that makes me an asshole, or more accurately, like an asshole. I just suggested there was a difference between word-to-word writing skill and structuring a story, and put forth that one takes precedence over the other in this game. In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke faces Vader and is essentially defeated. This is a good resolution; he disobeyed yoda, blah blah, etc. Vader is still out there; you know there's a sequel.
    In this, they just... couldn't find the robot. Anne-Claire never came up with anything, the nut/bolt thing wasn't in hobo alley when you went back to look for it... I don't have a problem with that, I mean I ranted about the game to my poor family for days, but... they didn't even find, you know, instructions on robot building on the body of the mime pope. After all is said and done, writing is done with the reader in mind. If enough readers (players) are saying, "Hey, what? Where's the robots, why mimes now?" Then, you know, why isn't that valid? Why couldn't they have linked the silent one to, you know, the robot one more closely?

    Of course, the Ep 2 teaser clears that up. I didn't finish unhappy, but I can't ignore the argument and its validity.

    Look, try not to take this too personally, but it works sort of like this. You represent for me in this moment a portion of the population that infuriates me, or at the very least ruffles my feathers. You problem with the material strikes me as asinine, and as a result I have likened you to that group that I feel best represents the feelings of frustration I feel after reading your post.

    More specifically
    I'm not sure what precisely lead you to believe the mimes had anything to do with the Fruit Fuckers, at least directly. It's pretty clear the hypnotised hobos were the ones doing most of the assembly. They might be on the same side, but they're not the same team. Furthermore, I am pretty sure you do not represent a significant portion of the demographic, as it seems most of us didn't have any trouble "getting it" without having every explanation spoon fed to us in the first damn episode. If you personally feel then need to have your hand held through every single step of the plot, that's on you. I recall pretty solidly that it was Tycho who flipped out over the Mimes when you went home to get the bolt; didn't strike me as flimsy in the least.
    This isn't complex shit, insofar as "challenging to figure out" I'd rank it somewhere between "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish" and Harry Potter.

    sarukun on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I would like to apologise to this thread for feeding the trolls.

    Does anyone have anything interesting to say on the matter of why the mime tangent happens (not how or when or why not)? In the interest of exploring this game we all bought, can we collaboratively find any interesting or relevant leads, or speculate on further connections?

    If you don't think there is anything to "explore", kindly pat yourself on the back and cease to clog the discussion. At the very least, mark your posts as "Off topic"; this isn't a "types of people we hate" thread.

    A Hypothesis:
    In the stanza at the end of the game, it is suggested that other gods may draw strength from the "spreading pool" of a fallen god's "blood" (power, residue, etc). Could the big robot be leading you to the mimes and the cult of Yog Sethis, knowing that you would kill him, as an act of open manipulation?

    If so, that's why the robot is in Pelican Bay, watching as you defeat Yog Sethis; he is pleased. Who is at the helm? Someone that knows Tycho is way into apocalyptics? An agent of the final god?

    Jazmeister on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    I would like to apologise to this thread for feeding the trolls.

    Does anyone have anything interesting to say on the matter of why the mime tangent happens (not how or when or why not)? In the interest of exploring this game we all bought, can we collaboratively find any interesting or relevant leads, or speculate on further connections?

    If you don't think there is anything to "explore", kindly pat yourself on the back and cease to clog the discussion. At the very least, mark your posts as "Off topic"; this isn't a "types of people we hate" thread.

    A Hypothesis:
    In the stanza at the end of the game, it is suggested that other gods may draw strength from the "spreading pool" of a fallen god's "blood" (power, residue, etc). Could the big robot be leading you to the mimes and the cult of Yog Sethis, knowing that you would kill him, as an act of open manipulation?

    If so, that's why the robot is in Pelican Bay, watching as you defeat Yog Sethis; he is pleased. Who is at the helm? Someone that knows Tycho is way into apocalyptics? An agent of the final god?

    Perhaps his father that is mentioned frequently. Or an old Professor from his old Academy. I like the idea of Fruit Fucker Prime getting us to do his dirty work.

    DrunkMc on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are you not getting it? You're welcome to speculate all you like, but the short answer is that the answer is not patently obvious in Episode One.


    And further more, there is a very good, deliberately stylistic reason for not including the information in Episode One.

    Now, if you would like to speculate about what the explanation could be, that's perfectly acceptable. What is not acceptable as far as I am concerned is regarding the omission as a mistake, because as our dear friend Khoo so kindly spelled out of us in no uncertain terms, there is a complete explanation that has to date not been fully revealed.

    If at the end of the story you feel the explanation is not satisfactory, that also is a seperate matter.

    sarukun on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Are you not getting it? You're welcome to speculate all you like, but the short answer is that the answer is not patently obvious in Episode One.


    And further more, there is a very good, deliberately stylistic reason for not including the information in Episode One.

    Now, if you would like to speculate about what the explanation could be, that's perfectly acceptable. What is not acceptable as far as I am concerned is regarding the omission as a mistake, because as our dear friend Khoo so kindly spelled out of us in no uncertain terms, there is a complete explanation that has to date not been fully revealed.

    If at the end of the story you feel the explanation is not satisfactory, that also is a seperate matter.

    Poor baby. You don't get to decide whats acceptable discussion.

    JohnDoe on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jazmeister wrote: »
    Does anyone have anything interesting to say on the matter of why the mime tangent happens (not how or when or why not)?

    The god is the Silent One. It makes sense (or at least 'Penny Arcade sense') that mimes would worship it.

    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really need to replay this.
    In my mind, I still feel that the switch in focus of the story was a bit abrupt. It makes sense of course, but I feel it could've used a bit more build-up. But maybe I missed some stuff on the first play-through and I'm being unfair. It's simply my first impression of it.

    Also, I wanna replay it cuz it's fun.

    Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I interpreted the Mime transition like this...
    The three of you are looking for clues about Fruit Fucker Prime, when it's discovered that the mimes are going to resurrect their God and destroy the world, so Tycho decides it would be best to stop them. Your group stops learning about FFP and decides to destroy Silent One.

    The change is about as abrupt as going from 100mph to 0 in 1 second. And I don't know how well it fits into the over all story, but the Ep. 2 teaser shows the occult book that mime's found, so there's an over arching plot here somewhere.

    I think that based on Part 1, it'd be too early to judge the story on the whole.

    JustinSane07 on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I interpreted the Mime transition like this...
    The three of you are looking for clues about Fruit Fucker Prime, when it's discovered that the mimes are going to resurrect their God and destroy the world, so Tycho decides it would be best to stop them. Your group stops learning about FFP and decides to destroy Silent One.

    The change is about as abrupt as going from 100mph to 0 in 1 second. And I don't know how well it fits into the over all story, but the Ep. 2 teaser shows the occult book that mime's found, so there's an over arching plot here somewhere.

    I think that based on Part 1, it'd be too early to judge the story on the whole.

    I disagree with your assertion about the abruptness of the change.

    Think of it like Battlestar Galactica. The overarching goal is to escape the giant killer robots. Along the way shit pops up that they've got to do. The actual through-line of the plot is very methodical, when you look back on it.

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    The failure in your logic is that Battlestar Galactica sucks ass.

    JustinSane07 on
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User
    edited May 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    If at the end of the story you feel the explanation is not satisfactory, that also is a seperate matter.

    You got it. I don't think that it was subtle enough. I'm sorry; in defending my opinions against your attack, I've been forced to labour a point that I don't really care too much about. I'm really in the business of finding out, not judging. Really!
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    It makes sense of course, but I feel it could've used a bit more build-up.

    This is essentially what I'm saying. Why wouldn't they change their priorities? I've said that I'd do the same thing, and I agree with the direction. What I'm saying is, why make it abrupt like that?
    Your group stops learning about FFP and decides to destroy Silent One.

    Essentially, this is what I had a problem with: They didn't say that. Anne-Claire doesn't comment on it, Tycho doesn't comment on it, nobody does. No-one ever says "Look, we need to re-prioritise." For all the story knows, the player is only willing to pursue the robot out of selfish reasons, and unwilling to do anything else until that's done. That would be a potential twist, right? Like Han Solo wanting to get his money and run.

    Of course, like Han Solo, there was a scene where he returned to the death star, and it was made clear that he decided the greater good was more relevant.

    This is what I mean. Where is the scene where you go, "There are lives at risk! We can track down the robot some other time!" Not even Gabe comments on the switch in focus. Nobody does.
    Threepio wrote: »
    I disagree with your assertion about the abruptness of the change.

    Think of it like Battlestar Galactica. The overarching goal is to escape the giant killer robots. Along the way shit pops up that they've got to do. The actual through-line of the plot is very methodical, when you look back on it.

    Plot does two things: The first is what you just described; it unites the story and gives every scene purpose.

    The second is to carry the user's interest forward and provide a backdrop for believable emotions/reactions/drama. I'm saying that there was the plot, there were the events, and nobody reacted to them.

    Also, when you're pursuing a killer robot, it's different. He'll get away. You know? How does Tycho know that FFprime isn't a more potent threat? Of course, I agree, he isn't, but that doesn't mean we can't be in on the decision making.

    Jazmeister on
Sign In or Register to comment.