As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gods and Mortals [Phalla] - Game Over: Village Victory!

• Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    stabbed to death by religious fanatics

and a blender

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes! What do I win?
    Love.

Or more to the point, "love".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shouldn't we rally around one of the non-participants and bludgeon their sleeping body to death in bed?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That would be awfully convenient for you, wouldn't it?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't really know who they are yet. Besides, we have 5 hours plus left in Day 1. It's not exactly kill-the-inactives time when people may not even have had a chance to get online in the gameday.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Considering I'm not leading the vote, no, not really. It'd be convenient as hell for Edward though. And you know, the village. Inactive villages are almost as bad as the bad guys in my experience watching these things.

mtvcdm's point is well taken though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Red Bird's Poorly Formatted Vote Count

Roster:
    1. LewiePs Mummy
    2. mtvcdm 1
    3. Toxic Toys 1
    4. visiblehowl
    5. werehippy
    6. Maximus 1
    7. Kilroy 2
    8. Gumpy
    9. Elki 2
    10. El SKid
    11. Variable
    12. chamberlain 1
    13. Aldo 1
    14. evilbob 1
    15. Richy 1
    16. enlightenedbum 2
    17. Frosteey
    18. Ultarune
    19. durax
    20. Somestickguy
    21. Satan. 1
    22. Varcayn
    23. Shamus 1
    24. SpeedySwaf
    25. James 1
    26. duallain
    27. Stew_Stick 1
    28. Greeper 1
    29. Daedalus 2
    30. DasUberEdward 3
    31. Malkor 2
    32. TehSpectre
    33. Red Bird
    34. gundam470 2
    35. Thetheroo 1
    36. TheLawinator
    37. Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud 1
    38. Medopine
    39. One Thousand Dicks 1
    40. Hilger

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shouldn't we rally around one of the non-participants and bludgeon their sleeping body to death in bed?

While there could be a bad guy nestled among inactives, real inactive players tend to get tossed out of the game after a certain amount of time by the host, so going after them is often useless.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    James wrote: »

While there could be a bad guy nestled among inactives, real inactive players tend to get tossed out of the game after a certain amount of time by the host, so going after them is often useless.

But when you have no information, killing someone who is going to die and thus shorten the village's odds eventually is a reasonable move instead of hoping our RNGs ping a bad guy is my point.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

But when you have no information, killing someone who is going to die and thus shorten the village's odds eventually is a reasonable move instead of hoping our RNGs ping a bad guy is my point.

So you'd advise a move which will guarantee absolutely no progress (a stagnation which will be riddled with kills by evil players) instead of one with a chance of success. Interesting strategy.

Killing borderline-inactive players because you'd rather kill them instead of people who actually participate is fine, but these lines of action and reasoning are horrid.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »

So you'd advise a move which will guarantee absolutely no progress (a stagnation which will be riddled with kills by evil players) instead of one with a chance of success. Interesting strategy.

Killing borderline-inactive players because you'd rather kill them instead of people who actually participate is fine, but these lines of action and reasoning are horrid.

I said when you have no information, as of five hours from now, we have something to go off of. But right now we have a bunch of badger videos and posts which say "RNG generators says N, vote ____."

I figure if you treat the people who haven't posted as dead vanillagers, you can make an argument like so:

40 villagers total, assume 4 evil, 6 inactives as I think we have now:
    Village kills an inactive: evil kills one, two vigilante kills (presumably active players): We have 27-29 active good guys, 2-4 active bad guys, 5 inactive players who are essentially dead anyway.

Or Village kills an active player: 26-28 active good guys, 2-4 active bad guys, 6 inactive players who are essentially dead anyway.

I like the odds in scenario one slightly better than in scenario two.

Now, I could be an inexperienced rube as this is my first time playing, but I've watched a good number of these games and that's been my thought on first day bandwagoning for a while now. Now if someone were to make a catastrophic error in the next four and a half hours obviously I would change my opinion, and certainly this would be a stupid strategy on day two, as we could possibly deduce something and the seer could hopefully start forming a network to make the village organized, but right now, I see no use in randomly flailing about.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe they're watching and lurking, cos they're the bad guys really (I'm back from supervising the furniture move) (its a bit exciting, tomorrow morning, brand new sofas are arriving at our house - we've never had new sofas before) and will pounce after I've gone to bed, and vote to kill me cos I'm obviously a sweet and innocent villager, who would never harm a fly even.

Wait, we are supposed to use subterfuge, prestidigitation, smoke and mirrors, aren't we?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I see where you're coming from, but it's more likely that an inactive will be a villager than a baddie/special based on pure numbers and on player interest.

And like mtvcdm said, the game is just starting and there's plenty of time in the day. Hell, it's only 3:20 PM over here, many people on the Pacific aren't even home from work yet :P

edit: new sofas are awesome

James on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think if LewieP's Mum gets killed Day 1, Tube will ban phallas forever.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On the vote count, wasn't someone voting for me in the big voting tree from the beginning?

edit: Nevermind, that was retracted. Whoo, worst TOTP ever!!!!1!

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think if LewieP's Mum gets killed Day 1, Tube will ban phallas forever.

Probably...

werehippy: i haven't been keeping track yet, but a number of votes have been retracted/replaced.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Its 11:35 pm here, I'm off to bed soon.

Yes, some votes have been retracted, its times like these
    you learn to live again
    sorry
    that mild OCD is useful!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Yes, some votes have been retracted, its times like these
    you learn to live again

<3

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I see where you're coming from, but it's more likely that an inactive will be a villager than a baddie/special based on pure numbers and on player interest.

And like mtvcdm said, the game is just starting and there's plenty of time in the day. Hell, it's only 3:20 PM over here, many people on the Pacific aren't even home from work yet :P

edit: new sofas are awesome

I'm more arguing for a bandwagon if there are still inactives at say, 10 PM EST than anything. And yeah, I realize that an inactive will be a villager most likely, but on the other hand we have a decent shot at bandwagoning an active good special and either killing them or forcing an epic reveal (like, if you believe Rainfall, they did in the Phalloship of the Ring game in CF...where they got the damn Witch King first, in an unbelievable bit of village luck). I'd rather avoid that. The special death, not killing the Witch King, that'd be sweet.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Remember guys. I'm always bad except this time where i'm just a poor old villager.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They only want to go for the inactives because they know none of them are their fellow bad guys.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Did I just get an inactivity notice before the end of day 1?

Jeeze

!James

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Did I just get an inactivity notice before the end of day 1?

Jeeze

!James

:?:

I am confused if you got an inactivity notice or if you are referencing the argument. Because if the later you are voting for the wrong person and I would suggest rereading my argument :P

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Obviously you should have been camped out here on Memorial Day evening to randomly speculate and finger somebody as evil. Come on. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Obviously you should have been camped out here on Memorial Day evening to randomly speculate and finger somebody as evil. Come on. :P

There was grillin' and sandwiches after an intense game of horseshoes.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Anyone who thinks a game of horseshoes could possibly be intense must worship the Raven. I'm watching you. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well no, I was just wondering if his statements were connected. If they are, he's either skipped what's been said (which arouses my suspicion), or didn't read it properly.

If they're not, then whatever.

But I'm going to take whatever I can get :P

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I dunno why he voted for you either.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Man, am I glad Day 1 wasn't yesterday, when I got an hour of sleep and zombie-walked all day before collapsing on the bed at 5 PM and remaining half-conscious until it was time to go to work. I'm an inactive, better vote me off.

It can happen, any day at all. I'm not in inactive-hunting mode until maybe Day 4. One day, Day 1 particularly, is nothing. There has to be a habit made of it before I go inactive-whacking.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Anyone who thinks a game of horseshoes could possibly be intense must worship the Raven. I'm watching you. :P

Maybe i'm just a hard working villager who gives everything his all since i'm not in the favor of the dark twins?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Maybe i'm just a hard working villager who gives everything his all since i'm not in the favor of the dark twins?

Horseshoes though? Highly suspicious. Now croquet...that would be something to get intense about.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ok, back on the horse Go-Go RNG werehippy
    More later.

Maximus on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    So what's everybody doing now?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yard Games and Religion: A Treatise

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I would like a list, for reference, of those who have cast votes using RNG's, and those who have not. (Also noting who swapped from RNG to directed, and who went from directed to RNG.) May be worth something later.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    could be hard. not everyone who votes rng says so

for the record, i rng'ed

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will vote for the next person suggested.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    OK, its gone midnight here, so I'm going to have to vote.

I'm sorry.

Variable, TheLawinator and Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud don't seem to have posted yet.

I vote TheLawinator for improper use of punctuation.

Night all, I'll be back after the voting, hopefully!

Edit: Oh, no, you're here, Retract!!!

I don't know, bandwagon, or tired, crappy logic?

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sitting, crying in a corner. Doubting my decision but hopeing something comes about that makes a decision easier. You know, the usual.

duallain on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    could be hard. not everyone who votes rng says so

for the record, i rng'ed
    Okay, then, those who have admitted RNG'ing and those who haven't.

Got no idea what kind of road it'll lead us down, but my figuring is that... actually, you know what, not even going to say my theory yet because I've been burned before by saying what my theory was before I have the info I need.

Gosling on
This discussion has been closed.