As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electronica Bands/Artists?

BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, H/A, you guys have been my saviors every time thus far. Let's see what you can do with this.

I've been into electronica for a while (along with some other stuff), but I'm not nearly well-versed enough to know good from bad from awesome. So I'm looking to get ahold of some really badass chill stuff. Below is a list of groups I currently think are awesome:

nujabes (easily my favorite)
fat jon
Gorillaz
Champion
Ken Ishii
Beck
UNKLE
MSTRKRFT
DJ Shadow (specifically Preemptive Strike)
edIT

I'm cool with rapping over a wicked sample (nujabes does that all the time) or stuff that's closer to techno. I just know you guys have never steered me wrong before. So what would H/A have me listen to?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BomanTheBear on

• Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    do you want vocals or can just music be ok?

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It really can be either, I'm not too picky. If there's something good about it, I'll see value in it.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Preemptive Strike? Entroducing is where its at.

I got tons of stuff to offer if you end up liking it. It runs the gambit of electronica from more Hip-Hop influenced, to Latin, to really fucked up stuff. I can't recommend Boards of Canada enough. I recommend ROYGBIV, Iced Cooley, and See Ya Later.

If you want individual song recommendations for anything listed just let me know.

Boards of Canada, words cant describe how good they are. They combine the genius of Bach and computers.
    Thieverycorp
    Ursula 1000
    Karminsky Experience
    Hot Chip
    RJD2
    Telefon Telaviv
    Square Pusher
    Sound Tribe Sector 9
    Justice
    Röyskopp
    Krüder and Dorfmeister
    The Spamallstars
    De Phazz
    Air
    The Avalanches
    Chemical Brothers
    Daft Punk
    Digitalism
    Gotan Project
    Kid Koala
    Mr. Scruff
    Mylo
    Propeller Heads
    Stephane Poumpougnac
    Venetian Snares

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Boards of Canada
    Explosions in the Sky
    Fluke (good luck finding this)
    The Higher Intelligence Agency
    Late Night Alumni
    The Lymbyc System
    The Mercury Program (try the A Data Learn the Language album)
    Royksopp (try the Melody AM album)
    Telefon Tel Aviv
    Yoshinori Sunahara
    Zero 7

Krikee on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hi5
    quite a few of the things I skipped you mentioned. I support your taste in music.

Krikee on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Goldfrapp
    Frou Frou

shhh.

Rook on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks man, props to you as well. Any Boards of Canada fan is definatly a cool person. I don't know a lot of the people that you listed listed there, I gotta check them out.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I love you guys. Srsly. Just from the brief number I've gotten a chance to look at, it's already sounding like a gold mine. Will update with my favorites.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll second Venetian Snares. Also try BT for more ambient (but still awesome) stuff, Massive Attack for more of a mainstream trip hop/electronic blend.

Albums:
    Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett
    This Binary Universe
    Mezzanine

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Prairie Cartel

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anamanaguchi
    "Helix Nebula" Live
    Free album DL

Cut Copy
    Lights and Music
    New album "In Ghost Colors" is the SHIT

Lykke Li
    I'm Good, I'm Gone

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No mention of LCD Soundsystem?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Badass chill stuff?

Portishead.

Portishead is a fantastic album.
    I haven't listened to third yet, but it's been getting pretty good reviews.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    really badass chill stuff
    Ulrich Schnauss: Goodbye
    A Million Miles Away
    Global Communication: I couldn't find anything on YouTube, so here's a last.fm page instead

Spooky:
    Little Bullet
    Future Sound of London:
    Papua New Guinea

Grid System on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looks like I'm gonna have to do some reaching to come up with a few that haven't been mentioned. I guess most of my interest in electro has been in the bit/chip/glitch genres.

Plone - only had one official album, also glitchy sort of music although I've heard it called bloop or twee pop

Console - side project for one member of the Notwist. chip/synth pop?

Nobukazu Takemura - I wanna say post 2000-2001 he's been doing glitch, although he's done classical, jazz, house, and D&B. I think he might currently be performing as Assembler. This is from his Signs EP and probably his most widely known song. Possibly NSFW in a part towards the end although its all animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8VZ_JCNWsQ

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Portishead and Massive attack

Classic, but still very, very good, and portishead just put out a new album

edit: beat'd

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here's my 2 cents - apologies to anyone who's already mentioned these, but I don't think I saw them:

- Express Rising (Most likely VERY hard to find, but my god, it's worth it)
    - DJ Krush (I really like the album Jaku, for what it's worth)
    - Pretty much anyone on the ESL Label (although I think TaGuelle did a pretty good job on that front! You have some fine taste in music, my friend!)
    - Cinematic Orchestra (Specifically, Man With a Movie Camera)
    - Skalpel

I'll try to think of some more, but man, you should be good for about a years worth of new music!

Best.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    I'll keep pushing Haujobb and Destroid. :P

Daniel Myer (the brain behind both groups) is one of my favorite artists. iTMS has some samples.

Echo on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Theres a compilation album thing called Ninja Tune Has alot of great artists, you should check it out.

as for some artists I dont see mentioned:
    Amon Tobin
    Jaga Jazzist
    Xploding Plastix
    Lemon Jelly

Iruka on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    if you can find anything by "de de mouse," he is off he heezy. he has a myspace, but he's rare enough in Japan, let alone America.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    Theres a compilation album thing called Ninja Tune Has alot of great artists, you should check it out.

as for some artists I dont see mentioned:
    Amon Tobin
    Jaga Jazzist
    Xploding Plastix
    Lemon Jelly

Yeah the trick to electronica music general is liking the Ninja Tune record label.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    lets see if i can remember all my records.

Dr. Theopolysis (sp)
    Del the Funky Homosapian
    BT
    Everything but the girl
    Groove Armada
    Leftfield
    DJ Rap
    Lisa Lashes
    Jon the Dentist

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ratatat.

http://www.myspace.com/ratatatmusic

Check out "wildcat" and "loud pipes" to start.
    "Seventeen Years" is probably their best known single though.

These guys put on one of the best live shows i've seen in years, in case they come your way.
    Tour info:
    http://www.ratatatmusic.com/news.html

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really like sayCeT.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    nujabes has a very similar vibe to RJD2

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    De Phazz has such great music.

Also, Moby's new album Disco Life is pretty good - quite a throwback to his earlier techno work.

If you haven't heard Orbital's "Halcyon and on and on" then you can't consider yourself an real fan of techno. If you wish to enter the trance sub-genre, then you'll be well set to check out Oakenfold's Transport and Aphex Twin's ambient albums.

Check out http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ It is a graphical representation of techno growth and influence over the decades. It offers many many genres, how they relate, and several prominent bands' music samples. It isn't great for the most modern stuff, but can be rather interesting to those who have been around for awhile.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    CoalCoal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Boys Noize
    Justice

That's about it for me.

Coal on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just want to agree with pretty much every suggestion here, but specifically Röyksopp ("ö" isn't a letter in Norwegian, those crazy scamps!), Nujabes, and the veritable nostalgia overload / font of new exposure that is the above guide to electronic music

I noticed someone mention Explosions in the Sky...they're not electronic by any stretch but are awesome if your like of downbeat/mood-driven music extends into any genre. If you do give them a listen (their best album is usually considered to be "The earth is not a cold dead place", which shares quite a bit with the Friday Night Lights film soundtrack) and like them, then you should also check out Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, A Silver Mount Zion, Sigur Ros, and (surprisingly) the soundtrack to The Fountain.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Of what hasn't been mentioned, check out Crystal Castles. really great band.

eric. on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    eric. wrote: »
    Of what hasn't been mentioned, check out Crystal Castles. really great band.

...though it was just concluded that they stole from several other songs from chiptune artists.

Echo on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In addition to what's already been listed (damn, you guys got almost everything I was thinking of!), you may want to check out Ladytron.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pendulum are my current musical obsession try them out.

Casual on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm glad it didn't take to page 2 for Amon Tobin to get mentioned. Here's a few of his songs, since the youtube sampling thing is in-vogue:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    let's see uh

Herbie Hancock did a variety of groovy jazz electronic stuff early on
    Luke Vibert (aka Wagon Christ, Plug, etc), especially "Tally Ho!" but he has lots of good stuff
    Nathan Fake is simply awesome
    Trentemoller is great techno

Agentflit on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a thread back yonder that has a lot of suggestions in it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56795

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you're up for some vocal trance, check out either link in my sig, or www.di.fm for all your genre-specific needs

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you haven't heard Orbital's "Halcyon and on and on" then you can't consider yourself an real fan of techno.
    Let's make babies. This is actually my favorite song, bar none, ever. So gorgeous.

Anyways, the OP may also want to check out Oakenfold's "A Lively Mind" album. Bunch of guest vocalists, including Brittany Murphy (strange, I know), Pharell Williams, and Grandmaster fucking Flash.

Edit: Also, if you haven't heard the live version of Halcyon & on & on, you really should. They throw in a Bon Jovi sample 3/4 of the way through, it's awesome. The Prime Minister might have it.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If you haven't heard Orbital's "Halcyon and on and on" then you can't consider yourself an real fan of techno.

Can we pretty please refrain from calling things techno when they're clearly not before I start cutting myself? The song is a classic, yes... but techno? *retch*

Darude's "Sandstorm" is techno, just as an example assuming you genuinely dont know the difference.

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Depends on definitions. I use the term 'Techno' to describe all "Electronic Music" just as someone would use 'Classic Rock' to describe everything from The Wall to Stairway to Heaven. Electronica, at least out here in the Northeast US was used to describe crappy europop style music (say - Eiffel 65). I've noticed the British and, in fact, most of Europe use Electronica as the genre's major term just as I'm used to using Techno. No one would ever have said "hey guys, you have to hear this awesome new Electronica album I bought!" unless they were using sarcasm.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That's no different than calling anything with a black singer rap. Sure you can do it and nobody will care, but why insult quality artists?

Back on topic - both artists are already mentionned here, but specifically I'd recommend:
    Portishead's "Roads" is more then capable of taking you on a magical journey through your own mind.
    Massive Attack's "Dissolved Girl" is also amazing, and you might recognize it as being in one of the opening scenes in the first Matrix movie

Neither of which is techno.

ApexMirage on