As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    cakemikz wrote: »
    So I have question for you guys, I am considering buying a new desktop to dedicate to photoshop and my general internet browsing so that I can move my current one downstairs to dedicate to playing games and watching movies and such.

Do you have any recommendations for a solid cheap machine that would do this job well? I would need something with dual monitor support as well.

The problem with inexpensive computers is that they always cut cost by giving you a shitty video card. That's the first thing I look at. Ram is cheap and takes about 2 minutes to install. And external storage is pretty cheap now also. Usually the lower end computers made for gamers work good for artists. They have to have decent video cards.

What? No they don't. Graphics acceleration only does the most basic of tasks when it comes to artistic programs.

CS4 has video acceleration now, but I've had shitty luck with it just glitching out and being generally useless. You'd need a low level "gaming" card for it to work.

Yeah, CS4's graphic acceleration is limited to just animating the zoom in/zoom out and navigation, as far as I know. Mine also breaks frequently, it doesn't seem to do a very good job with video memory. It's been pretty disappointing so far.
    it also comes in pretty damned handy when using the texture painting tools - you can basically paint specular, diffuse, bump and all the other awesome maps directly onto a 3d model in cs4 now.

at least, in cs4 extended.

not a tool the majority use, but for those that work in 3d it is pretty handy.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    QUESTION: Printing Indesign document as an A4 booklet...

heya fellas.
    Ive got an indesign file which i want to print as an A4 booklet (printed, folden and stapled) tomorrow morning. Now, under 'File' i know i can select 'print book', and Indesign automatically alters the order of the pages so that when folded & binded, they appear in the correct order. Is this all i need to do? Or is there more to it?

(sorry if i sound like an amature. Besides the basics, i dont know shit about indesign)

Help would be great, as im running out of time :):) *stress* :):)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was just wondering if anyone here might have a availability to do a commissioned painting. The subject is Mark Ryden's "Little Boy Blue".

I know this is basically asking someone to reproduce a painting. I wanted to get this for my wife as it is her favorite print by Mark Ryden and the only real prints are rather small 8x10's. I am realistic on cost of time and materials so private message me if you are interested. For a reference Orikishgatae did some work for me that was promptly paid for half up front and half at completion.

Thanks!

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

heya fellas.
    Ive got an indesign file which i want to print as an A4 booklet (printed, folden and stapled) tomorrow morning. Now, under 'File' i know i can select 'print book', and Indesign automatically alters the order of the pages so that when folded & binded, they appear in the correct order. Is this all i need to do? Or is there more to it?

(sorry if i sound like an amature. Besides the basics, i dont know shit about indesign)

That's it! Just remember that if you're using a saddle stich bind the total amount of pages HAS to be a multiple of 4, otherwise InDesign is gonna mess up.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

heya fellas.

That's it! Just remember that if you're using a saddle stich bind the total amount of pages HAS to be a multiple of 4, otherwise InDesign is gonna mess up.

Aye i was having that issue because i had 1 too many pages. Cheers mate!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Remember, it's easier to add pages than subtract if you just add blank pages at the end. If you don't like plain white pages, you can add text at the top that says "NOTES"

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey. So I want to be a good artist. I also go to a regular college and I don't know how good their art program is, and I've got a full ride there. Should I complete a non-art degree with a minor in art and then go to art school? Or should I just get an art major here? Does anyone have any experience with something like this? The reason I didn't go to an art school in the first place is they're expensive as all get out and I got a full ride somewhere else, and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a job yet.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do whatever you are doing now
    practice art a shitton while you are doing it
    if you do not hate it after drawing more hands and faces and stupid dumb people than you think you will ever see in person maybe then consider going to art school if you really want to

RubberAC on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Step one: Check out your school's art program.

If you do check it out and don't think its great just get a degree in something else because otherwise it will be worthless.

rts on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey. So I want to be a good artist. I also go to a regular college and I don't know how good their art program is, and I've got a full ride there. Should I complete a non-art degree with a minor in art and then go to art school? Or should I just get an art major here? Does anyone have any experience with something like this? The reason I didn't go to an art school in the first place is they're expensive as all get out and I got a full ride somewhere else, and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a job yet.

You don't need to go through an art program to be a good artist.

If your university has a good art department then that's great, if not, what you really need is really really for reals a desire to improve, dedication and persistence, and being willing to seek out answers to your questions on your own.

If you are considering this as a career move then you should probably start setting aside several hours a day minimum to start practicing. Like, right now.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I got my degree in advertising first, then I got one in graphic design. I had plan A and plan B, but I made it in such a way that they both compliment each other. If you want to do a degree in a non art related field, it would be a good idea to look into a field that is interesting to you, but is also not too far from art.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will check stuff out. Thanks for the advice! I might minor in art simply so I have enough time to do it, though this might be bad if the assigned work turns out to be useless.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I just take this moment to plug Mike Matessi's brilliant book, "Froce: Dynamic Life Drawing for animators"?

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Dynamic-Drawing-Animators-Second/dp/0240808452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255828571&sr=8-1

I've been pounding away with anatomy books for the past few weeks, which makes it really easy to neglect gesture and movement. This book has really sort of sparked my imagination and I'm starting to see movement and dynamism in human bodies that I really hadn't before. It's really a wonderful supplement to any gesture-study regimen, check it out people.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I've decided to start drawing again after a 7 year hiatus. I had a chat with Angel_of_Bacon about starting a thread, but to be perfectly honest, after going back and looking over the stuff I have done so far, I'm nowhere near ready to post anything, even for crits.

I drew a lot in my early childhood, mainly video game characters I saw in magazines. I went to college for art in 2001 but couldn't stay because I couldn't handle working full time to pay to go to college full time. The only experience I have from that is completing a life drawing course and a perspective course, neither of which I did too great in because my vision sucked and didn't have money for glasses (kind of helps if you can see what you are drawing). After that I met my current wife and it all went downhill from there.

So now at 26, I'm looking at my life, trying to figure out what I really want to do because I don't want to work in a call center forever. The only things I enjoy are video games, computers, art and music. I figured they all tie nicely into each other that maybe I can do those things until the end of my days.

So after that lengthy introduction, I turn to you fine folks for the art side of things. I want to hit the basics again and start from scratch and relearn everything. The problem is that I'm unsure where I should look and what I should use. I saw quite a few links on the first page of this thread, but I'm not sure which is for beginners and stuff. If anyone can offer me advice or point me the way, you will have much appreciation from me. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Get these:
    http://www.griftart.com/about/loomis/

They're very good, you can start off with "Figure Drawing for all It's Worth"

And then see if you can find a copy of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"

Brolo on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So after that lengthy introduction, I turn to you fine folks for the art side of things. I want to hit the basics again and start from scratch and relearn everything. The problem is that I'm unsure where I should look and what I should use. I saw quite a few links on the first page of this thread, but I'm not sure which is for beginners and stuff. If anyone can offer me advice or point me the way, you will have much appreciation from me. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Download the Andrew Loomis books and start with Fun With a Pencil.

You'll also want to take a look at Drawing on the Right Side of the Bain

Rolo you fucker

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hahahaha

actually metalbourne is right, "Fun with A Pencil" is probably a better Loomis book to start off with than "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth", but definitely check that one out when you're done with the first one.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. Spent the day with my wife and son, so I'll get cracking first thing in the morning.

Edit: Fun with A Pencil has shown me a lot of what I've been missing right off the bat. I look back and it is so obvious that I feel kinda stupid for missing it. I feel like I've discovered fire for the first time. Thank you so much for the recommendations.

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anybody here go to grad school for film production?

I want to pick your brain about applications

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OMG OMG OMG!!! Idea. I need to know if its been done and if it is possible.

I dunno how to ask this.
    Its basically dual screen, but with two wacom tablets running at the same time. Lets say your drawing with a friend and you want to collaborate.

Usually when you collaborate, you paint a chunk of it, pass it to your friend, they add a chunk, they pass it back and so forth.

I want to be able to do a painting with someone simultaneously. So like have dual monitors, I'm painting a part of the drawing, and my buddies painting another part.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not so, what can I do to make it work?

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Why don't you just use two computers running OpenCanvas?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Waaaay too obvious.
    Bacon, you never learn.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    J-P wrote: »
    Idea.

Wouldn't two wacom tablets conflict with one another? Like having two mouse(s)? Not sure if that can be done.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    J-P wrote: »
    Idea.

Wouldn't two wacom tablets conflict with one another? Like having two mouse(s)? Not sure if that can be done.

There just would have to be a way to seprate a mouse, and also, photoshop would need two tool bars for each mouse. Cause you know, in photoshop, go to Windows>arrange>New window for (painting) and have two windows of the same painting.

Which yes, then it would massively slow down the comp. So it would need to be totally separated onto two computers.

Gah, so photoshop would need to have this app added, then a program needs to be added to a comp, blah blah curses.

Wait, isn't there a site on the nets where people are doodling on the same page?

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Try reading Bacon's post again. You might find it incredibly useful.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Try reading Bacon's post again. You might find it incredibly useful.

gah, sorry, I'll try open canvas.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    question about ridiculously expensive tablet tech: everyone wants one of those 2000 dollar cintiq motherfuckers, but with all the new tablet-type things coming out - microsoft surface, the potential courier, apple's newest touch screen device, etc - is there some other, superior huge purchase to wait for, in terms of drawing-directly-on-an-awesome-screen technology?

i have sort of been saving up for a cintiq and i'm wondering if i should just wait a little longer. i am not sure what the suitability of all this new stuff is for drawing, though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    question about ridiculously expensive tablet tech: everyone wants one of those 2000 dollar cintiq motherfuckers, but with all the new tablet-type things coming out - microsoft surface, the potential courier, apple's newest touch screen device, etc - is there some other, superior huge purchase to wait for, in terms of drawing-directly-on-an-awesome-screen technology?

i have sort of been saving up for a cintiq and i'm wondering if i should just wait a little longer. i am not sure what the suitability of all this new stuff is for drawing, though.

Primary difference: None of the other devices you're talking about measure (a) the same degree of pressure, (b) angle, (c) rotation of the input.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i'm not horribly bothered by that, to be honest; my tablet is pretty basic right now, in terms of pressure sensitivity, and it has no angle or rotation sensitivity at all.

basically i'm wondering if there is a cheaper or comparably-priced-but-better alternative to the Cintiqs, or if something new is coming out that blows their socks off. i'm surprised at how long they have been the go-to devices.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty suspicious of the performance of first generation products vs one that's been on the market for years.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wacom has a vice grip on the patent for their tech- which is hands down the best on the market.

And even in good tablet PCs and the like, Wacom usually supplies the tech.

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone had any experience mounting a poster onto foam core? Is it easy enough or should I just pay someone to do it for me?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have good sites for a beginner to start cutting his teeth on Adobe Flash? I want to get into a bit of animation and eventually into actionscript as well, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Anyone had any experience mounting a poster onto foam core? Is it easy enough or should I just pay someone to do it for me?

How are you in terms of craftsmanship? Can you make a clean cut along a rulers edge, using multiple passes with an X-Acto blade to break through the material, and come out with clean edges? Of so, go for it!

Just buy some foamcore and try to trim it down to the right size. Foamcore is ridiculously cheap. You don't have to adhere the poster beforehand...you can wait until you've made a clean, accurate cut.

It would be easier to adhere the poster first, of course, and then cut around it....but if you're nervous, just do it the other way.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The print is A2, so I was thinking of just getting an pre-cut A2 sheet of foam core. Is that a good or a bad idea? Or would I be better to get an A1 sheet and cut it down?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    The print is A2, so I was thinking of just getting an pre-cut A2 sheet of foam core. Is that a good or a bad idea? Or would I be better to get an A1 sheet and cut it down?

Oh, well if it's not a custom size...just get the A2. Just make sure that the edges aren't squished in any places...(and make sure the side you're applying the poster to doesn't have any dents).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You're an angel ND, thanks a heap.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey fellas

guestion: I'm illustrating a book cover in photoshop for uni. The background is almost entirely black. My tutor has said, that when working with black for printing, its best to work as CMYK 0 - 0 - 0 - 100. *dont know exact proper term. This implies i should be working in cmyk. Should i be painting in CMYK or RGB? note: intnded for print.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey fellas

guestion: I'm illustrating a book cover in photoshop for uni. The background is almost entirely black. My tutor has said, that when working with black for printing, its best to work as CMYK 0 - 0 - 0 - 100. *dont know exact proper term. This implies i should be working in cmyk. Should i be painting in CMYK or RGB? note: intnded for print.

A large number (if not the majority) of professional print shops (as opposed to, say, Kinkos) prefer to print in CMYK.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A printing place next to my uni says printing in RGB or CMYK makes no difference. But they are more interested in screwing the students out of money. I decided to finish my image in RGB, and then converted to CMYK. A little change, but overall it was ok. ill just tweak the image a little.

winter_combat_knight on
This discussion has been closed.