As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Building new desktop Would like opinions

LotharsLothars Registered User regular
I'm building a new computer and was wondering what you guys think of this

Just looking for opinions.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB OEM No HSF

Motherboards ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 1333FSB 2PCI-E16 3PCI 2PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound WLAN Motherboard

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 x2

LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X Black SATA

Computer Cases Thermaltake Kandalf LCS Black ATX Tower Case BUILT-IN Liquid Cooling System 3X120MM Rad Window No PS

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W ATX12V 24PIN SLI/CROSSFIRE Ready ATX Power Supply 140MM Fan Active PFC

Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW

Gigabyte GeForce 9800GX2 600MHZ 1GB 2.0GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDMI HDCP

Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB NCQ for operating system and programs

Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM x2

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY Champion Series 7.1 W/ Black Front Audio Bay & Remote

Diamond TV Wonder 650 Theater PCI-E TV Tuner Card ATSC NTSC HDTV FM

nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors

What does everyone think about this? any recommendations?

BenQ G2400W 24IN Widescreen Black LCD Monitor 5MS 1920X1200 1000:1 Senseye HDMI DVI VGA - not sure of this monitor but I would like a new Monitor

Lothars on

• gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Those are some pretty bleeding-edge parts, are you coughing dollars?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's... thats just about as good a computer as normal money can actually buy.

ben0207 on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lothars wrote: »

eight gigs?

Seriously?

Also, either I can't read or you aren't buying a graphics card, which seems a little silly given the fact that you are apparently lighting your cigars with copies of the constitution.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nice but why the blu-ray drive? Im assuming if you have Blu-Ray you already have something to play them on.
    Unless your thinking off copying, naughty naughty.
    Also go down to a 500-650w PSU unless your gonna SLI in future, you don't need that much extra.

Other than that wave goodbye to your money

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

eight gigs?

Seriously?

Also, either I can't read or you aren't buying a graphics card, which seems a little silly given the fact that you are apparently lighting your cigars with copies of the constitution.
    Either you can spend $600 getting this card now, or you can spend ~$180 on 8800 series card (which will run everything of the current generation and foreseeable future fine), and then ~$200 3 years down the line when the capabilities of what you're buying now are actually used.

Also, if you really, for some reason, want to spend this much money, I'd wait until Nehalem (Intel's new CPU microarchitecture) launches.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    gneGne wrote: »
    Those are some pretty bleeding-edge parts, are you hemorrhaging dollars?

Fixed.

Seriously, looks like you went through Newegg's catalog and picked the most expensive stuff you could find... Well, except for the Intel Core 2 Xtreme or whatever that one's called. How much did all this come out to?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited May 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

eight gigs?

Seriously?

Either you can spend $600 getting this card now, or you can spend ~$180 on 8800 series card (which will run everything of the current generation and foreseeable future fine), and then ~$200 3 years down the line when the capabilities of what you're buying now are actually used.

Also, if you really, for some reason, want to spend this much money, I'd wait until Nehalem (Intel's new CPU) launches.

LoL I did a Control-F for "nvidia" "geforce" "ati" etc. and the goddamn "Match Case" button was checked.

Lousy browser gnomes.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Those are some pretty bleeding-edge parts, are you hemorrhaging dollars?

Fixed.

Seriously, looks like you went through Newegg's catalog and picked the most expensive stuff you could find... Well, except for the Intel Core 2 Xtreme or whatever that one's called. How much did all this come out to?

Well I went through NCIX and picked out a computer that I would like

This actually would go through our work purchase program which is basically an interest free loan that would go off each pay cheque

NCIX PC Gallery

The reason I was thinking of going for the best PC I can go with at the moment

I also was thinking of waiting but my main desktop computer went down and I am wanting a replacement.

Lothars on
    edited May 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Nice but why the blu-ray drive? Im assuming if you have Blu-Ray you already have something to play them on.
    Also go down to a 500-650w PSU unless your gonna SLI in future, you don't need that much extra.

Actually the only reason for the blu-ray drive is it also has HD-DVD capability and I have some blu-ray and HD-DVD movies that I wouldn't mind to watch on my PC

Lothars on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I notice the processor says "No HSF", and I don't see a heatsink/fan kit in your list. Or am I blind?

[edit] Yup, I'm blind. "Liquid cooling" case.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the q9450 is a very nice processor...built a comp with that in it the other day...the q9550 is such a rip of its like 150 more for like 150 mhz more speed, both have the same cache and FSB. For the powersupply I guess thats pretty good. I have an antec quattro 850...very nice as it has 4 of the 12 volts lines, which is the important thing to look for in a card; it's also modular which is super handy for making things nice and clean.
    For the guy who said to go down in PSU...that card is a 9800GX it's basically two cards on one circuit board, you'll need a PSU that can feed that beast, persoanlly I wouldn't grab that card though. I would grab an 8800gt which is a very nice card with a sweet price and that will tide you over until Nvidia releases there RX600 and RX650 (I think thats it) which will push there other cards down in price. For monitors I use an ACER P243WAID, they are very very nice, check them out, I got mine for about 380 CDN. Used to use my tv but this monitor is awesome.

Make sure you get a 64bit OS to, most likely vista as the 64bit version of XP doesn't get any support. Otherwise you won't be able to see all your memory, make sure you pick up a good CPU fan and sink to, that processor is really nice to OC.

EDIT: whoops I'm blind as well didn't notice the LC kit

Dixon on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyways, I would save some money on the GFX card and get rid of the X-Fi card (maybe exchange for Asus D2 instead) and get a nicer Mobo!! P45 should be available by now, Asus P5Q I guess it's called? Read a review on it on www.bit-tech.net.

I also think the pc case is quite ugly, so make sure you check some pictures of it before you buy. (my taste is a more simple yet stylish design).

And the LCD monitor you picked is gorgeous. I don't know what you have now, but that screen is ace for gaming/multimedia.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Is it just my luck, or is Newegg always abysmally fucking slow at getting orders out in a timely fashion? I'd really like to have this goddamn order before the weekend, hence me paying extra for "Rush Processing" and $100 for Next Day shipping.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Actually the only reason for the blu-ray drive is it also has HD-DVD capability and I have some blu-ray and HD-DVD movies that I wouldn't mind to watch on my PC

You can save yourself about 200 if you don't though. No point throwing money away really?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited May 2008
    Anyways, I would save some money on the GFX card and get rid of the X-Fi card (maybe exchange for Asus D2 instead) and get a nicer Mobo!! P45 should be available by now, Asus P5Q I guess it's called? Read a review on it on www.bit-tech.net.

I also think the pc case is quite ugly, so make sure you check some pictures of it before you buy. (my taste is a more simple yet stylish design).

And the LCD monitor you picked is gorgeous. I don't know what you have now, but that screen is ace for gaming/multimedia.

Yeah I read reviews and looked at the case and I didn't mind it at all plus I like the liquid cooling aspect of it

I just have a normal CRT monitor but it's nothing special and it's time for an upgrade

Would you guys recommend the BenQ G2400W I have or the ACER P243WAID which the other poster recommended?

I just want a good monitor for gaming and watching movies almost to replace my tv in a sense.

Lothars on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it just my luck, or is Newegg always abysmally fucking slow at getting orders out in a timely fashion? I'd really like to have this goddamn order before the weekend, hence me paying extra for "Rush Processing" and $100 for Next Day shipping.

It's just your luck. When my stuff comes from the NJ warehouse on standard UPS ground I have received it in less than 24 hours. Yeah. They're fast.

And this is a ludicrous piece of equipment you're building. I don't see why you went with a P35 board, though... with this kind of cash you might as well throw down on a 750i or 780i board so you can double up on graphics down the line when you need a boost.

Check out the Sceptre 24" LCD. It's 16:10, 3000:1 contrast ratio, 2ms response time... everything about it is just amazing in games and it's one of the cheapest 24" LCDs you can buy. (At least through NewEgg) I've had once since November and the only bad thing I have to say about it is about the stand. No swivel and the tilt is difficult. It kinda feels flimsy. But then, it doesn't sound like you'd have much trouble throwing $75-$100 at a good swivel/tilt/height adjusting arm, which the monitor has standard mounting holes for.

MrMonroe on
    edited May 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

And this is a ludicrous piece of equipment you're building. I don't see why you went with a P35 board, though... with this kind of cash you might as well throw down on a 750i or 780i board so you can double up on graphics down the line when you need a boost.

Okay, It's because I've never actually built a computer before and decided this would be the time i build a computer

So what kind of 750 or 780i board should I look at?

Lothars on
    edited May 2008
    Okay, since everyone has had their turn making fun of you, I'm gonna give a go at this earnestly

Don't spend so much money!

Cut the RAM in half
    Knock the CPU Cores down to 2
    Go with the 8800
    Nix 1TB of HD space
    Nix the Blu Ray
    Go with a non-"OMG Fat4l1ty" soundcard (who the hell can tell the difference anyway)
    Cool it with air instead of liquid.

I just saved you $500 at least. Even if you are dead set on throwing that money at PC components, do so in a year or two when you'd actually be able to use the increased horsepower and you'll have an even better system.

Or spend it on $500 of games
    Or spend it on $500 of groceries
    Or spend it on $500 worth of hookers and blow

At the end of the day its your money, but I really think you will regret it if you go with this setup.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

It's just your luck. When my stuff comes from the NJ warehouse on standard UPS ground I have received it in less than 24 hours. Yeah. They're fast.

It's not the shipping that's taking forever, it's the processing. It took almost 24 hours for the transaction to go through, and that was around 10 this morning. Since then, it hasn't gone from step 3 (verified) to step 4 (packaged and sealed).

EDIT: NVM, it shipped today. Perhaps their website was just slow to update.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited May 2008
    Okay, since everyone has had their turn making fun of you, I'm gonna give a go at this earnestly

Cut the RAM in half
    Go with the 8800
    Nix 1TB of HD space
    Nix the Blu Ray
    Go with a non-"OMG Fat4l1ty" soundcard (who the hell can tell the difference anyway)

I just saved you $500 at least. Even if you are dead set on throwing that money at PC components, do so in a year or two when you'd actually be able to use the increased horsepower and you'll have an even better system.

At the end of the day its your money, but I really think you will regret it if you go with this setup.

Well I wasn't sure about the soundcard so that might be nixed for something I just want a decent soundcard for 5.1 any recommendations for a decent soundcard?

I definitely won't get rid of the ram and 1 tb of hard drive space mainly because It's something I will always use and more ram the better.

Like I said I would like to keep the blu-ray drive is because of being able to watch movies on the computer is a big thing but It's not something that really matters if I get rid of it

if anything this computer is gonna be as much a media center as it is playing games.

Thank you for your help though, it's appreciated :)

Lothars on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2008
    8 gigs for anything but a production machine is blatant overkill.

In fact, I cannot think of a single uber-game that demands more than 2 gigs. 4 would cover that, and be more than enough overhead so that when 8 gigs is eventually needed, you can get another 4 gigs of 2x2gig matched for far far less than what you are paying right now. And the memory is not needed for media content. running a raw 1080p movie (nobody has footage of this quality for public sale) is more than possible on 2 gigs.

4 cores is fine... the more the merrier. I have 8 cores at the moment... for encoding content, having that kind of muscle is great.

Also, a TB in the box is nice... but you should consider not shitting where you eat, and getting a REALLY fast drive for apps (they have 15k drives now) and externalizing the TB drive into a file server of some kind, for easier access to the material from any machines in your house. If you are willing to spend big bucks, might as well do it right. These external server housings also let you RAID up your drives, so you can give yourself one bigassed 3TB drive if you wanted. Considering the Blu Ray/HD-DVD drive you are getting with the machine, you may find 1 TB is just plain not enough if you enter the backup mode.

Also, do ditch that soundcard and replace it with something more sane. If this is going to be a media station as well, I cannot recommend cards with Dobly Digital Live enough... like the Turtle Beach Montego. The ability to output all 5.1 content through optical and not multi-minijack is glorious, especially if you are going to be doing a bunch of gaming.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here's what you need to bear in mind. In July, nVidia and ATI are going to launch new cards that will actually be a step up from the last gen (8X00/9X00 and 2X70/3X70 being practically the same thing). By the end of this year intel will have launched their new processors, again being a big step up from core-2.

Anything you buy now at the bleeding edge will be out of date in less than 6 months.

Even if you're set on being the best and paying for it, wait until at least the new graphics cards are out.

Edit: As for monitors, I'd kill for a 30" one. My 24" is too small, and it doesn't look like you're hurting for cash.

Rook on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Here's what you need to bear in mind. In July, nVidia and ATI are going to launch new cards that will actually be a step up from the last gen (8X00/9X00 and 2X70/3X70 being practically the same thing). By the end of this year intel will have launched their new processors, again being a big step up from core-2.

Anything you buy now at the bleeding edge will be out of date in less than 6 months.

Even if you're set on being the best and paying for it, wait until at least the new graphics cards are out.

Edit: As for monitors, I'd kill for a 30" one. My 24" is too small, and it doesn't look like you're hurting for cash.

Rook is correct, the new G280 is coming out soon, and will be about 30% faster than the 9800GX2. Also watch out with the 8-pin power connector issue on that video card - not all cards come with adapters, and certain PSUs with 8-pin PCI-E connectors use a different spacing than the one used for the GX2.

With that said, I don't know why you're getting the GX2 at all. Take a look at this chart:

crysis_plot16.png

and this:

avg.png

These show your gaming performance per dollar amounts, one in Crysis, the other an average of a bunch of games except Crysis. The SLI 8800GT and 9600GT set ups are enough to play pretty much anything at a decent FPS (55 FPS+), and you can find a pair of the cards for as low as $320 after rebates.

That will run Crysis just about as well as a GX2 will, and it's fast enough in every other game that you won't notice any slowdowns on either card.

For tomorrow's games and future proofing, you still won't want a GX2, since there's a new graphic chip architecture just around the corner.

My advice is to swap the motherboard with a P5N-D (or the evga 750i board), and go SLI. You'll save money and have a better upgrade path in the future.

Brolo on
    edited May 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    8 gigs for anything but a production machine is blatant overkill.

In fact, I cannot think of a single uber-game that demands more than 2 gigs. 4 would cover that, and be more than enough overhead so that when 8 gigs is eventually needed, you can get another 4 gigs of 2x2gig matched for far far less than what you are paying right now. And the memory is not needed for media content. running a raw 1080p movie (nobody has footage of this quality for public sale) is more than possible on 2 gigs.

4 cores is fine... the more the merrier. I have 8 cores at the moment... for encoding content, having that kind of muscle is great.

Also, a TB in the box is nice... but you should consider not shitting where you eat, and getting a REALLY fast drive for apps (they have 15k drives now) and externalizing the TB drive into a file server of some kind, for easier access to the material from any machines in your house. If you are willing to spend big bucks, might as well do it right. These external server housings also let you RAID up your drives, so you can give yourself one bigassed 3TB drive if you wanted. Considering the Blu Ray/HD-DVD drive you are getting with the machine, you may find 1 TB is just plain not enough if you enter the backup mode.

Also, do ditch that soundcard and replace it with something more sane. If this is going to be a media station as well, I cannot recommend cards with Dobly Digital Live enough... like the Turtle Beach Montego. The ability to output all 5.1 content through optical and not multi-minijack is glorious, especially if you are going to be doing a bunch of gaming.

Well You convinced me to go for 4 gb though I still think that 8 gb will be needed sooner than later but I did switch to the Turtle Beach Montego, it's a very nice sound card, Thanks for the Suggestion

I have a 150 10k drive for the system for windows and the apps but on my previous computer I had 800 gb I was running out of space, that's the reason for the 2 1 tb drives.

Still not sure of keeping the Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive but I will decide that

Keep on mind though I use my work purchase program, So I am limited of the size of monitor I can include, it's up to 24 inch and that's why I still want a great computer but it's just one of those things.

Lothars on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think those spinpoints are actually faster than the 150gig raptor. You'd want the 300gig velociraptor if you want a faster OS drive.

EDIT: After consulting the farcry and WoW benchmarks here http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/suite_v4.php?typeID=10&testbedID=4&osID=6&raidconfigID=1&numDrives=1&devID_0=360&devID_1=311&devID_2=361&devCnt=3 it appears that it's not a cut and dry call between the F1s and the raptor 150, but the 300 raptor is clearly superior. Another edit, didn't pick NCQ consistently, go back and change if you want apples to apples.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited May 2008

Cut the RAM in half
    Go with the 8800
    Nix 1TB of HD space
    Nix the Blu Ray

Well I wasn't sure about the soundcard so that might be nixed for something I just want a decent soundcard for 5.1 any recommendations for a decent soundcard?

I definitely won't get rid of the ram and 1 tb of hard drive space mainly because It's something I will always use and more ram the better.

Like I said I would like to keep the blu-ray drive is because of being able to watch movies on the computer is a big thing but It's not something that really matters if I get rid of it

if anything this computer is gonna be as much a media center as it is playing games.

Are you using a 64-bit OS? If you are, be prepared for some driver headaches. If you aren't, you're not going to see more than 4 gigs of ram anyway. It's a limitation of any 32-bit operating system, so that extra 4 gigs is pretty much wasted.

The LCD monitor - I'm personally not a fan of TN panels, and if I had the choice I would go for a better S-PVA or MVA panel instead. You'll find these in 24-inch monitors, usually the ones that are aroun $600 or so. The good thing about them is that they're brighter and have a much wider viewing angle than a regular LCD, which tend to fade out in colour especially if you're looking at them from below.

And to Rook -

A 24" is about the limit right now for today's graphics cards - trying to run things at the native res of a 2560 X 1600 beast kills performance even on a GX2, since the frame buffer required for features like FSAA is enormous and will require multiple passes, which kills your frame rates. I've done some gaming (TF2, Bioshock) on my friend's Dell 3007wfp and it's actually too big. At the distance you'd sit to comfortably read text the monitor is actually bigger than the human eye frustum, so your eye can't fit in what's going on in the left side of the screen if you're looking at the right. It's more immersive, but I find I don't play as well on it.

Brolo on
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »

Well that's a good point because I might go SLI which is an idea

I picked the 9800gx2 because it seemed like a really good card for what you get but It's computers in general it will get outdated in 6 months and I definitely don't want to wait that long for a new computer even if Intel new processors will be out

I probably will just wait it out till July for whatever is the recommended video card, from what I was saw I thought it was gonna be at least 6 months away before the new cards were out.

Lothars on
    edited May 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

Cut the RAM in half
    Go with the 8800
    Nix 1TB of HD space
    Nix the Blu Ray

Are you using a 64-bit OS? If you are, be prepared for some driver headaches. If you aren't, you're not going to see more than 4 gigs of ram anyway. It's a limitation of any 32-bit operating system, so that extra 4 gigs is pretty much wasted.

Yup I am thinking of going to use the 64-bit OS and I am fully prepared for driver issues though

Lothars on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2008

Well, with the hardware he is going with, he should have no driver issues with 64 bit vista.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited May 2008
    syndalis wrote: »

Well, with the hardware he is going with, he should have no driver issues with 64 bit vista.

I'm using fairly new hardware myself, and have fiddled around with a 64-bit Vista Ultimate install which was not a particularly smooth experience. There's always a bunch of niggling shit (d-link's shitty 64-bit wi-fi drivers, epson's shitty 64-bit printer drivers) that require some ridiculous workarounds or simply don't work, period.

Brolo on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    I'm a little late to this party, but http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=47002

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.