As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World of Warcraft TCG questions

TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
My local comic store is having a sealed WoW TCG event this sunday, and I've decided I'm going to participate. My problem, though, is that I've never played the game before (though I'm familiar with the Magic TCG, which is very similar in rules). I've managed to teach myself what I feel are most of the basics through rulebooks, the offical site, fussing with a few starters and boostets, and internet research, but I'm still fuzzy on a few things. If anyone could answer a few of these questions, I would really appreciate it:

-Heroes can only use weapons on attack, and never on defense, right? I can't save a ready weapon to hit someone who attacks me, can I?

-When I attack with multiple allies, can I declare attacks against the same hero/ally? Say, for example, I have a 2/2, and 3/3 in play, and I want them both to attack my opponent's 5/5 ally. A) Is that possible, and B) Do they all attack at once, or in a chain? Do I declare as "2/2 and 3/3 attack your 5/5," or is more like, "first my 2/2 attacks, resolve combat, then my 3/3 attacks?"

-Does playing an ablity exhaust a hero?

-For cards like Moonfire, can I pay the spell's "1-return to owner's hand" ability after it has dealt fatal damage to an ally?

This is all I can think of for now, but I might siege this thread with more questions later. Thanks again for any help/responses.

TehChowd on

Posts

  • VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TehChowd wrote: »
    -Heroes can only use weapons on attack, and never on defense, right? I can't save a ready weapon to hit someone who attacks me, can I?

    You can providing you can pay the resource cost.
    TehChowd wrote: »
    -When I attack with multiple allies, can I declare attacks against the same hero/ally? Say, for example, I have a 2/2, and 3/3 in play, and I want them both to attack my opponent's 5/5 ally. A) Is that possible, and B) Do they all attack at once, or in a chain? Do I declare as "2/2 and 3/3 attack your 5/5," or is more like, "first my 2/2 attacks, resolve combat, then my 3/3 attacks?"

    Yeh, its more like the latter, attack one at a time, resolving each combat one at a time.

    TehChowd wrote: »
    -Does playing an ablity exhaust a hero?

    Nopes. It doesn't.
    TehChowd wrote: »
    -For cards like Moonfire, can I pay the spell's "1-return to owner's hand" ability after it has dealt fatal damage to an ally?

    No, you have to pay the cost to do it as you play it.

    Can't garuntee that's 100% accurate though, but thats my best shot at it =p

    Varethius on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm pretty sure that you can bounce Moonfire like that. I'll have to ask a friend of mine when he gets back in town tonight.

    Salvation122 on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Varethius wrote: »
    TehChowd wrote: »
    -For cards like Moonfire, can I pay the spell's "1-return to owner's hand" ability after it has dealt fatal damage to an ally?

    No, you have to pay the cost to do it as you play it.

    Can't garuntee that's 100% accurate though, but thats my best shot at it =p

    From the FAQ:

    [FoO Rules FAQ] Your hero deals 1 damage only if Moonfire is in play continuously from the start of your turn until its triggered effect resolves. If the attached character is fatally damaged this way, there’s no opportunity to return Moonfire to hand before that character is destroyed and Moonfire is put into a graveyard.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Any suggestions for a draft tourny for a rookie?

    TehChowd on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Note that it's been a long time since I've played draft, but...

    Allies I think are usually good bets, since they never require anything else other than being able to play them. Abilities you'll need to be careful about, especially ones that require another card in play (any rogue ability that keys off daggers, f'erex), since you're not actually guaranteed to *draft* one that you can use. In that vein, anything that can cheaply destroy a weapon/armor might not be bad to watch for, since it's unlikely that your opponent will have drafted more than one copy of it.

    There's actually a series of articles on the UDE site about draft. Look for the "Limited Advice" column.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
Sign In or Register to comment.