Options

inter-religious marriage

135678

Posts

  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Matt_S wrote: »
    Matt_S wrote: »
    I'm somewhat of a strong Catholic, but more in the liberal sense - I love my identity and the Church that I was brought up in, but I don't believe it to be infallible, especially in regards to birth control, stem cell research and the like.

    I gave up on the Catholic faith when a priest I respected gave a sermon saying that as a Catholic, I was required to be Pro-Life. I'd not even really made a decision about pro-life/pro-choice at that point, but I couldn't stand for not having a choice to make. I've not looked back.

    Can't say I blame you. Unless there's a part in the Catechism I missed that says that ones Catholic identity hinges on their beliefs on abortion, he wasn't being truthful.

    It's a pretty dumb thing to say, but churches like to pull this stuff all the time. Last year during "Respect Life month" we were handed little plastic fetuses as a reminder of the sanctity of human life.

    I made mine a tiny pair of sunglasses, gave him a little hat and a robe and named him "Cletus the Fetus." He's actually still chilling out in my desk drawer somewhere, I think.

    I believe his argument was something along the lines of "The pope says abortion is wrong. The pope is infallible. Therefore abortion is wrong." This didn't jive with my concept of free will, so I decided to cut my losses and run. Oddly between 4 years of Jesuit high school and always being top of my class in what amounted to "sunday school" (it was on wednesdays) I consistantly find my self knowing more about Catholicism/Christianity than most Catholics/Christians I meet. If I wasn't an atheist I might have made a good priest.

    SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Matt_S wrote: »
    Matt_S wrote: »
    I'm somewhat of a strong Catholic, but more in the liberal sense - I love my identity and the Church that I was brought up in, but I don't believe it to be infallible, especially in regards to birth control, stem cell research and the like.

    I gave up on the Catholic faith when a priest I respected gave a sermon saying that as a Catholic, I was required to be Pro-Life. I'd not even really made a decision about pro-life/pro-choice at that point, but I couldn't stand for not having a choice to make. I've not looked back.

    Can't say I blame you. Unless there's a part in the Catechism I missed that says that ones Catholic identity hinges on their beliefs on abortion, he wasn't being truthful.

    It's a pretty dumb thing to say, but churches like to pull this stuff all the time. Last year during "Respect Life month" we were handed little plastic fetuses as a reminder of the sanctity of human life.

    I made mine a tiny pair of sunglasses, gave him a little hat and a robe and named him "Cletus the Fetus." He's actually still chilling out in my desk drawer somewhere, I think.

    I believe his argument was something along the lines of "The pope says abortion is wrong. The pope is infallible. Therefore abortion is wrong." This didn't jive with my concept of free will, so I decided to cut my losses and run. Oddly between 4 years of Jesuit high school and always being top of my class in what amounted to "sunday school" (it was on wednesdays) I consistantly find my self knowing more about Catholicism/Christianity than most Catholics/Christians I meet. If I wasn't an atheist I might have made a good priest.

    That's a little more surprising, as I'd think that a priest of all people should correctly understand the concept of papal infallibility.

    Say, as a hypothetical, Pope Benedict came out tomorrow and said that the Hot Pockets was the best food to snack on while playing World of Warcraft. Or even let's take an issue relating to the teachings of the Church: Let's say the Pope said that men, and only men, could be ordained priests. Fairly commonplace, no? But he's not speaking ex cathedra.

    If a Pope or ecumenical council is to pronounce something as being infallible teaching, it follows a sort of formula. Wikipedia explains it well, so I'll just copy and paste.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    According to the teaching of the First Vatican Council and Catholic tradition, the conditions required for ex cathedra teaching are as follows:

    1. "the Roman Pontiff"
    2. "speaks ex cathedra" ("that is, when in the discharge of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority….")
    3. "he defines"
    4. "that a doctrine concerning faith or morals"
    5. "must be held by the whole Church" (Pastor Aeternus, chap. 4)

    In other words, 99.999999999% of the time, a Pope is not speaking on condition of infallibility. Nor is he impeccable, or free from sin. To make an infallible statement, the Pope needs make a solemn papal definitions. The last time the Pope spoke on condition of being infallible was in 1950, when the Pope defined the Assumption of Mary to be an infallible Church teaching. In fact, most of these are made when the vast majority of the Church believes something to be true.

    So whenever a Pope says "Abortion is wrong" or "Only men can be priests," he isn't speaking on condition of infallibility.

    Matt_S on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?



    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a girlfriend once who turned out to be the daughter of Darryl Reid, president of the Canadian arm of Focus On The Family. He believes that the earth is 6,000 years old, that North American Christians are an oppressed group, and that the War on Terror is a biblical prelude to an apocalyptic war between Eastern and Western cultures. Oh and this girl? Totally bought into his shit. We hadn't really discussed politics at all, but one day she saw an NDP campaign sign on my lawn and that was pretty much the end of that.

    It's too bad, because she was the only girlfriend that was at all interested in video games.

    Azio on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe the brother is just worried about his sister's soul or some junk, and feels he is doing what is necessary to save her from your hellbound sinning ways.

    What can you do when someone has that kind of conviction?

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?



    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.

    You gotta realize that the children will one day make the decicion for themselves as to faith in creation, or belief in nothing but hard science. The ability to believe overides all logic that science can point out. I actually see religion and science as being quite compatible, as do most devout christians I associate with. The children will more than likely find a good balancing spot as well. Are the parents lying to the children, if they are telling them things that they believe as absolute fact?

    jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

    PS2
    FF X replay

    PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

    360
    Bayonetta
    Fable 3

    DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    I had a girlfriend once who turned out to be the daughter of Darryl Reid, president of the Canadian arm of Focus On The Family. He believes that the earth is 6,000 years old, that North American Christians are an oppressed group, and that the War on Terror is a biblical prelude to an apocalyptic war between Eastern and Western cultures. Oh and this girl? Totally bought into his shit. We hadn't really discussed politics at all, but one day she saw an NDP campaign sign on my lawn and that was pretty much the end of that.

    It's too bad, because she was the only girlfriend that was at all interested in video games.

    To be fair, dumping your ass for having an NPD sign on your lawn is a good decision regardless of the reasons.

    shryke on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We live in a riding where a vote for anyone other than the conservatives is wasted, so yeah, pretty much I vote for the NDP every time. Bitch.

    Azio on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    We live in a riding where a vote for anyone other than the conservatives is wasted, so yeah, pretty much I vote for the NDP every time. Bitch.

    Commie.

    shryke on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?



    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.

    You gotta realize that the children will one day make the decicion for themselves as to faith in creation, or belief in nothing but hard science. The ability to believe overides all logic that science can point out. I actually see religion and science as being quite compatible, as do most devout christians I associate with. The children will more than likely find a good balancing spot as well. Are the parents lying to the children, if they are telling them things that they believe as absolute fact?

    These kids hold no hope of ever being exposed to the reality of the situation. They're not going to be able to make their minds up because they won't have a fair opinion of the correct side. Literally, all I said when they brought it up was, "You do know that the very earth underneath the "museum" is proof of evolution, right?" And then they railed off on me, a long argument ensued, and we left. And the kids are all over the age of 13. The 16 year old didn't know what fossils were.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can't save everyone W_H.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Maybe the brother is just worried about his sister's soul or some junk, and feels he is doing what is necessary to save her from your hellbound sinning ways.

    What can you do when someone has that kind of conviction?

    Punch them in the throat, because an absolution does nothing but drive people away. (that was sarcasm)

    I go to their church more often then not, because it's a great, welcoming community. Their willingness to accept me for who I am, and not shunning me for my lack of belief has increased my tollerance for christianity more than any other factor in my life. By being "good christians" (which really just means, "good people" in their own words) they've made the prospect of having faith in the christian god infinitely more desirable than I could have ever imagined, but the fact is that I was raised devoid of western religion.

    Growing up in India, raised by an aethiest father who liked the artwork and architecture of budhist and hindu artisans, I was exposed to far more eastern religion, and that makes so much more sense to me than Christianity, but all in all, there are much the same morals and values, and I did not realize that until I started going to a christian church, or atleast THIS christian church. (I cannot speak for all of the nutjobs out there, but every religion has them, including Aetheism. And I don't care what anyone says, Aetheism is a form of religion).

    jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

    PS2
    FF X replay

    PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

    360
    Bayonetta
    Fable 3

    DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    You can't save everyone W_H.

    But I don't have to let it go by unchallenged. Either way, they were all exposed to an atheist for a very, very long time before it became either apparent or material to a discussion. I'm hoping that changes something in their minds.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?



    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.


    When fanatics collide, everyone loses.

    Regina Fong on
  • Options
    KonovaKonova Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    And I don't care what anyone says, Aetheism is a form of religion.

    Well, that's a very fact-embracing way of going through life.

    And, no.

    Konova on
    "It's not murder, it's surprise death!"
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Atheism is a religion like baldness is a hair color.

    MikeMan on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Matt_S and SlickShughes your understanding of the idea of Dogma in the Catholic Church are both kind of off. Now first off, both of what you said about the Pope speaking Ex Cathedra is correct. The Ordinary and Universal Magisterium is still a part of the Catholic teaching and should be given due respect. Through the Cathecism, Papal Encyclials, and other methods the church has spoken out against some behaviors without using the full weight of Ex Cathedra. Additionally, many of these ideas are based on things that are Dogma, and denying them is in effect denying the Dogma that they are based upon. So to use your examples of Abortion and Women in the Priesthood, even without these things being spoken of Ex Cathedra, they still do become part of the Magisterium of the Church.

    Neaden on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Konova wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    And I don't care what anyone says, Aetheism is a form of religion.

    Well, that's a very fact-embracing way of going through life.

    And, no.

    I always wanted someone making a fool of themself in my sig.

    Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    And I don't care what anyone says, Aetheism is a form of religion.

    So I guess a-fairyism is a religion too?

    Andorien on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    Matt_S and SlickShughes your understanding of the idea of Dogma in the Catholic Church are both kind of off. Now first off, both of what you said about the Pope speaking Ex Cathedra is correct. The Ordinary and Universal Magisterium is still a part of the Catholic teaching and should be given due respect. Through the Cathecism, Papal Encyclials, and other methods the church has spoken out against some behaviors without using the full weight of Ex Cathedra. Additionally, many of these ideas are based on things that are Dogma, and denying them is in effect denying the Dogma that they are based upon. So to use your examples of Abortion and Women in the Priesthood, even without these things being spoken of Ex Cathedra, they still do become part of the Magisterium of the Church.

    It's not my understanding that's off, it's a priest in my old parish. In his defense, I don't know that he mentioned infallibility spcifically. The first few sentences of the homily are what burned into my mind, I can still quote them verbatim.
    Fr. Marrow wrote:
    A woman asked me the other day if I was pro choice or pro life. I responded, "I"m a Catholic. Of course I'm pro life."

    It's neither here nor there though. Catholicism never felt right to me, this was sort of just the tipping point.

    SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?



    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.
    Hilarious.

    SithDrummer on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    Well, I was actually referring to Jesuit theology teacher I once had who said that there were many paths to heaven but Catholics believe they have the most direct one.

    Jesuits are a special case. My Jesuit religion teacher told us often that his second choice in religion behind RC was atheist, and encouraged us all to consider atheism (among other ideas) before just blindly accepting what we were told by our parents.

    Wait, your location is NY... did you go to Fordham?

    I was actually referring to a high school teacher, as I went to a Jesuit high school, but yeah you called me out. I'm a Fordhamite (Fordhamanian?).

    oldsak on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My previous girlfriend had very religious parents, who were very accepting of me. The only person that had any issue with me was her ex-husbnd, and that was more from a jealousy PoV than a religious one, although he did spout religious dogma (that he had broken in his relationship with his new girlfriend) whenever he saw us together.

    Arasaki on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    oldsak wrote: »
    Well, I was actually referring to Jesuit theology teacher I once had who said that there were many paths to heaven but Catholics believe they have the most direct one.

    Jesuits are a special case. My Jesuit religion teacher told us often that his second choice in religion behind RC was atheist, and encouraged us all to consider atheism (among other ideas) before just blindly accepting what we were told by our parents.

    Wait, your location is NY... did you go to Fordham?

    I was actually referring to a high school teacher, as I went to a Jesuit high school, but yeah you called me out. I'm a Fordhamite (Fordhamanian?).

    O'Malley? What year were you? (I was 2000)

    SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?

    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.

    When fanatics collide, everyone loses.

    Being abrasive and undiplomatic doesn't mean he's a fanatic.

    ...

    And atheism is a-religious. It's a stance on the existence of deities. Buddhists can be and often are atheists.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My wife and I were just married a couple weeks ago. Her parents (her mom and her mother's partner... yea, catholic lesbians!) were not happy that we wanted to be married by a JP, in a non-religious ceremony. They couldn't talk to us about this, and instead went to my mother to see if she could convince us otherwise.

    Now, I'm atheist (I used to be a devout Christian, but walked away from the church). My wife is agnostic. My mother is Southern Baptist, and my father is atheist. So her parents figured the best way to change our minds is to go to the religious one on my side of the family.

    Thankfully it backfired, and my mother gave the old "it is their wedding, so it isn't our place to say" speech. :^:

    What I'm trying to say is, you and your bride to be need to discuss the wedding plans and see what sort of conflict it's going to cause. Not so that you can make everyone happy, just so that you can prepare yourself for it. Just don't consider king douchebag in your discussions. ;-)

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, let's get this straight. Catholic lesbians giving you grief because you don't want to be married at a church.

    Bwaaaah?

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It could allow for some pretty hot "forbidden-style" sex, I guess.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, let's get this straight. Catholic lesbians giving you grief because you don't want to be married at a church.

    Bwaaaah?

    That's why the Catholic Church is awesome.

    Well, that and this:
    pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

    shryke on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait, let's get this straight. Catholic lesbians giving you grief because you don't want to be married at a church.

    Bwaaaah?

    That's why the Catholic Church is awesome.

    Well, that and this:
    pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

    It'll take a lot more to convince me that the Catholic Church is awesome.

    MexiPope there is pretty awesome, though.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait, let's get this straight. Catholic lesbians giving you grief because you don't want to be married at a church.

    Bwaaaah?

    That's why the Catholic Church is awesome.

    Well, that and this:
    pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

    That hat almost makes me forget he was an Inquisitor.

    BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, let's get this straight. Catholic lesbians giving you grief because you don't want to be married at a church.

    Bwaaaah?

    Exactly. We still had the wedding the way we wanted, but my mother sang The Wedding Song, which made her parents happy enough (and my mother sang beautifully, as usual). We still had our unreligious ceremony, and our JP was funny the whole way through.

    Like I said, I just wanted to make sure the OP was planning early and that the parents weren't going to be an obstacle later.

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CytosineCytosine Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Back in high school, I dated the daughter of an Evangelical pastor who ran a youth group. This was the kind of youth group that watched Kent Hovind videos for educational purposes, and went to Christian Rock Concerts (the hardest core of rock concerts) so they could cry about Jesus.

    My girlfriend unfortunately bought all of her father's bullshit; he ruled the family with a creepy iron fist style regime of religion-inspired guilt. This brought a fair bit of difficulty for me as an atheist/agnostic, and a science geek. She'd say shit about how environmentalism is unimportant because we're about to be raptured, how you can't trust carbon dating past 200 years (if you mention potassium-argon dating; you're lying), and how a baby has a heartbeat after 7 days. I'd try to be patient with her, but sadly it formed a fairly large rift in our relationship.

    As I was preparing to leave for University, she told me that she doubted we could stay together. She couldn't trust me to be faithful because I "don't have faith in anything". Being young and stupid, I struck a compromise. I'd go to school a city away - even though I had already been accepted into a very prestigious pharmacology program at a school further north - and I'd get engaged to her. I don't see how this changed shit all, but it kept the best relationship I'd had at that point (which, really, is a sad reflection on my dating life) in one piece. I came home each weekend to see her, and sex her (as a pastor's daughter she fulfilled her role of being a goddamn animal in the sack).

    The day of our anniversary I couldn't get ahold of her at home; her parents eventually stopped answering. She called me at 10:30 that night to tell me it was over. She had decided to start fucking her abusive (Christian) ex a few weeks ago. Looked like my copy of the memo was lost in the mail.

    I saw her a week later on my birthday. We had long, sweaty, violent breakup sex. I never called her back.

    She went on to continue fucking the pig until he dumped her for a 17 year-old. She is now a manager at Tim Hortons, and is dating some poor chump who wishes to become a pastor as well. I hope they raise many retard creationist babies.

    I went on to become a raging alcoholic for the next 4 months, picking up a codeine habit as I went (thanks to a script for a root canal). I nearly killed myself on New Year's that year. After that, a friend introduced me to magic mushrooms and I've been fine since.

    tl;dr
    I'm an idiot and inter-faith dating fails for me.

    Cytosine on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back in high school, I dated the daughter of an Evangelical pastor who ran a youth group. This was the kind of youth group that watched Kent Hovind videos for educational purposes, and went to Christian Rock Concerts (the hardest core of rock concerts) so they could cry about Jesus.

    My girlfriend unfortunately bought all of her father's bullshit; he ruled the family with a creepy iron fist style regime of religion-inspired guilt. This brought a fair bit of difficulty for me as an atheist/agnostic, and a science geek. She'd say shit about how environmentalism is unimportant because we're about to be raptured, how you can't trust carbon dating past 200 years (if you mention potassium-argon dating; you're lying), and how a baby has a heartbeat after 7 days. I'd try to be patient with her, but sadly it formed a fairly large rift in our relationship.

    As I was preparing to leave for University, she told me that she doubted we could stay together. She couldn't trust me to be faithful because I "don't have faith in anything". Being young and stupid, I struck a compromise. I'd go to school a city away - even though I had already been accepted into a very prestigious pharmacology program at a school further north - and I'd get engaged to her. I don't see how this changed shit all, but it kept the best relationship I'd had at that point (which, really, is a sad reflection on my dating life) in one piece. I came home each weekend to see her, and sex her (as a pastor's daughter she fulfilled her role of being a goddamn animal in the sack).

    The day of our anniversary I couldn't get ahold of her at home; her parents eventually stopped answering. She called me at 10:30 that night to tell me it was over. She had decided to start fucking her abusive (Christian) ex a few weeks ago. Looked like my copy of the memo was lost in the mail.

    I saw her a week later on my birthday. We had long, sweaty, violent breakup sex. I never called her back.

    She went on to continue fucking the pig until he dumped her for a 17 year-old. She is now a manager at Tim Hortons, and is dating some poor chump who wishes to become a pastor as well. I hope they raise many retard creationist babies.

    I went on to become a raging alcoholic for the next 4 months, picking up a codeine habit as I went (thanks to a script for a root canal). I nearly killed myself on New Year's that year. After that, a friend introduced me to magic mushrooms and I've been fine since.

    tl;dr
    I'm an idiot and inter-faith dating fails for me.

    Thats a movie right there.

    hyperpower on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No offence intended from above post. I have had a crazy day.

    hyperpower on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The kids went on a trip to the creation museum last year, and when I heard about that I... well, I did what all of you would probably expect me to do. Right to her grandmother and everybody else in the family.
    Acted like a giant jackass and embarrassed yourself and your girlfriend?

    Truth.

    Both of you can die in a fucking fire. Seriously. Go start a fire, and stand in it until you no longer scream in agony. I can't help it if they make a concerted effort to lie to their kids and I confront them on it. I'm not about to sit their and just let them do it.

    When fanatics collide, everyone loses.

    Being abrasive and undiplomatic doesn't mean he's a fanatic.



    Doesn't mean he's not, either. Every fanatic is convinced that their views are the only possible correct ones and that everyone who doesn't share them is either dumb, brainwashed, not paying attention, or subversively attempting to deceive themselves and others.

    This is what makes them abrasive and undiplomatic by nature.

    Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Being abrasive and undiplomatic doesn't mean he's a fanatic.
    Doesn't mean he's not, either. Every fanatic is convinced that their views are the only possible correct ones and that everyone who doesn't share them is either dumb, brainwashed, not paying attention, or subversively attempting to deceive themselves and others.

    This is what makes them abrasive and undiplomatic by nature.

    So, I haven't seen a compelling case that he is a fanatic, merely abrasive and undiplomatic. Think of the Venn diagrams!

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Being abrasive and undiplomatic doesn't mean he's a fanatic.
    Doesn't mean he's not, either. Every fanatic is convinced that their views are the only possible correct ones and that everyone who doesn't share them is either dumb, brainwashed, not paying attention, or subversively attempting to deceive themselves and others.

    This is what makes them abrasive and undiplomatic by nature.

    So, I haven't seen a compelling case that he is a fanatic, merely abrasive and undiplomatic. Think of the Venn diagrams!



    Well I have. The constant need to shove his opinions down the throats of other people who clearly disagree with him, coupled with frequent declarations of absolute, unshakable correctness, and the expressed desire to literally rid the world of all opposed viewpoints is a pretty fucking crystal clear case of fanatical thought.

    Perhaps you don't see the fanaticism because the message of the fanatic is one you happen to share.

    (and by message, I mean atheism. I'm not accusing you of fanaticism also).

    Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Being abrasive and undiplomatic doesn't mean he's a fanatic.
    Doesn't mean he's not, either. Every fanatic is convinced that their views are the only possible correct ones and that everyone who doesn't share them is either dumb, brainwashed, not paying attention, or subversively attempting to deceive themselves and others.

    This is what makes them abrasive and undiplomatic by nature.

    So, I haven't seen a compelling case that he is a fanatic, merely abrasive and undiplomatic. Think of the Venn diagrams!



    Well I have. The constant need to shove his opinions down the throats of other people who clearly disagree with him, coupled with frequent declarations of absolute, unshakable correctness, and the expressed desire to literally rid the world of all opposed viewpoints is a pretty fucking crystal clear case of fanatical thought.

    Perhaps you don't see the fanaticism because the message of the fanatic is one you happen to share.

    (and by message, I mean atheism. I'm not accusing you of fanaticism also).

    Alright, this is exactly why I put you on ignore, and exactly why I'm sorry I decided to actively follow this conversation. You have this immense inability to comprehend things that makes you take shit out of context constantly to prove your point.
    jeepguy wrote:
    and the expressed desire to literally rid the world of all opposed viewpoints

    Just where the fuck do you get this bit, huh? Where? Because I said I'm in favor of an educational system that teaches people logic and reasoning from a very early age, and that religious thought would get thrown under the bus as a natural result? You know, an intelligent person might read what I had written where you decided to consistently take me out of context and realized that I'm saying the same thing everybody else is, I'm just not couching it in polite language.

    And besides, "all opposed viewpoints?" You say "literally," so I assume you actually mean what you said. You might want to think about the language you use a bit more carefully, because I'm pretty specific about what I say.

    So, before you decide to say anything else about me, do this one little thing and this thread will be a much happier place: don't. Just don't fucking do it. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You've pissed me off enough as it is with your constant removal of context and your inability to understand anything anybody has ever said. So just don't fucking do it. Don't antagonize me anymore like you did at the start of this thread, and we won't have a problem, got it?

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hippie, your response to everyone who calls you out on your bullshit, and your intolerant views receives the same stupid, tired response; that they "haven't read what you've wrote". Like there's a secret meaning, or anyone who disagrees with you is to stupid to understand you.

    *** BIG YAWN ***

    Directed at your tired old shtick. Your version of atheism is intolerant, evangelical, and fundie in nature. I'm sorry you can't see that in your own posts.

    Regina Fong on
Sign In or Register to comment.