Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

UPS Advice

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So the computer I built for my family died, in much the same mysterious manner as the one my mother's did. working fine and then dead one day. A friend drove me and the one I built over to Geek squad and they said the motherboard was probably dead due to a power surge.

Appearently, if the power dies and then comes back on quick enough, the power surge can hit the computer before the surge protector has a chance to actually, you know, PROTECT!

So I need to replace two motherboards and get a UPS or two in the future.

So while i deal with the fact that a power surge is an act of god and most likely not covered by my warranty, i need to buy a UPS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102044

This is my first choice, anyone got some better choices for a slim budget? I could go up to $100 for a small home office but would prefer something beneath $50.

RoyceSraphim on

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow. I bought my cyberpower UPS for like 40 bucks at Best Buy. It worked fine until about 4 years later when it just started giving an error code. They told me to send it in and I got a newer model replacement which lasted another 4 years.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So while i deal with the fact that a power surge is an act of god and most likely not covered by my warranty, i need to buy a UPS.

This is my first choice, anyone got some better choices for a slim budget? I could go up to $100 for a small home office but would prefer something beneath $50.

Wait, you mean the warranty on the surge protector (and thus, your equipment) or the warranty on the PC?

If a surge protector company calls a power surge an act of god, you basically get no equipment protection.

1ddqd on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »

Wait, you mean the warranty on the surge protector (and thus, your equipment) or the warranty on the PC?

If a surge protector company calls a power surge an act of god, you basically get no equipment protection.

Yeah, actually when I worked at Best Buy the extended warranties (don't even start) had a clause in there that if something were to break due to: Heat, Dust, or acts of God... It will be covered.

Odd that they had that.

But seriously I have that unit exactly, and has lasted me about 3 years (maybe longer) and went through a TON of lightning storms. So the one you're looking at is a good choice.

urahonky on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The warranty was for the motherboard and it didn't cover this act of God.

RoyceSraphim on