As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Deus Ex is now free on Gametap..

1235»

• dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm having so much fun with this game, I know I have to be close to finishing as I havent stopped playing since I downloaded!

i'm playing it on realistic and that adds alot to the challenge/fun factor.

I swear I could beat this game using only melee (basically what i'm doing). I find myself rarely using my gun and just sneaking and using knife unless I absolutely can't.

I now know why this is my friends favorite game!

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dnilb wrote: »
    I'm having so much fun with this game, I know I have to be close to finishing as I havent stopped playing since I downloaded!

I swear I could beat this game using only melee (basically what i'm doing). I find myself rarely using my gun and just sneaking and using knife unless I absolutely can't.

I now know why this is my friends favorite game!

I'm doing melee/stelth on my current playthrough. It's a lot of fun. Best weapon you can get pre-HK is the Sword, they're semi-rare but I found mine on Liberty Island.

Right now all my weapons skills are untrained except for Low Tech which is at Master :D

If I ever do train any others I'm gonna do Heavy. Later in the game you occasionally have to to deal with some big groups. Nothin ma GEP gun can't deal with!

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2008

Realistic is definitely the way to play. It's nice to be able to take a dude down with a well-placed headshot.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Realistic is definitely the way to play. It's nice to be able to take a dude down with a well-placed headshot.

Just remember enemies can do this too.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it seems like I never really NEED the skills I put up. I went with lockpicking, computers, and security which are all up up about 2 or 3 times (even then I always have 15+ lockpicks and multi-tools) and then I have pistols at master. I gave my pistol every upgrade i've ever found so it's crazy strong.

even though I use the stealth/melee strategey I don't see a reason to put up low-tech. I havent trained it once and i've been able to melee everything with ease.

either way, i'm having a lot of fun with this game. I wish I had more room to carry around the big guns just for fun though.

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Was playing on realistic using steath yesterday, cam back to it today and found a glitch that wouldn't leave. I would select weapon and ten afterward I couldn't switch back to anything. This happen to anyone else?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    it seems like I never really NEED the skills I put up. I went with lockpicking, computers, and security which are all up up about 2 or 3 times (even then I always have 15+ lockpicks and multi-tools) and then I have pistols at master. I gave my pistol every upgrade i've ever found so it's crazy strong.

even though I use the stealth/melee strategey I don't see a reason to put up low-tech. I havent trained it once and i've been able to melee everything with ease.

either way, i'm having a lot of fun with this game. I wish I had more room to carry around the big guns just for fun though.

Computer use is god damned useful.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2008

Computer use is god damned useful.

Worth getting Advanced so you can control turrets, that's a lot of fun. Also, if you're into reading emails (where a lot of the story is) then get Master so you have plenty of time.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't gotten very far into the game yet, but throughout what I've played it sort of seems like you find most passcodes and such by going in with guns blazing but have to carefully expend limited resources to get at things that you want if you're being sneaky. I can understand why it works that way, but it kind of feels like I'm being punished for playing well.

jothki on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh god, why did I choose the aug that gives me more melee strength, I should have picked the other one

stupid stupid stupid

Impersonator on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh god, why did I choose the aug that gives me more melee strength, I should have picked the other one

stupid stupid stupid

During my first playthrough, I thought the exact opposite thing.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

stupid stupid stupid

Does throwing things at people hurt them?

jothki on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jothki wrote: »

stupid stupid stupid

I never thought about this but I think not

The good thing about the strength aug is that it allows you to stack or carry around heavier objects, I guess that's cool, for example, it can get you into Castle Clinton much more easily, since you just need to take out some crates that are blocking a secret passage

Do you guys know how I got into Castle Clinton? By stacking trash cans and other minor boxes I was able to climb to the roof and pick the NSF dudes off at a distance with my sniper rifle D: not even MacGyver could have done better

Impersonator on
    edited June 2008
    jothki wrote: »

stupid stupid stupid

I never thought about this but I think not

The good thing about the strength aug is that it allows you to stack or carry around heavier objects, I guess that's cool, for example, it can get you into Castle Clinton much more easily, since you just need to take out some crates that are blocking a secret passage

Do you guys know how I got into Castle Clinton? By stacking trash cans and other minor boxes I was able to climb to the roof and pick the NSF dudes off at a distance with my sniper rifle D: not even MacGyver could have done better

Also makes it easy to break shit open. Even if you've got the Dragon's Tooth, most breakable doors and chests in the game can still not be broken by it alone.

The other choice is kind of stupid because it means you have to get in melee range with a bot. For the paltry security bots this isn't a problem, but later on the giant assault bots will kick your ass before you have time to get in range. Scramble grenades are a much better way to deal with them and there's enough through out the game to get you through the tough spots if you use them conservatively.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So with the recent posting of the DX3 teaser, I think it's time to Necrobump this thread (with a top-of-page, no less) and inform people that DX is still free on Gametap, $10 on STEAM, or $Cheap in your local bargain bin.

Discuss.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I won't need to reinstall it

I never uninstall it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This makes sense since I paid for it on Steam about two weeks ago. Fantastic game for its time.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't really want to start a new thread but I was wondering if anyone else had the problem of "over-walking" in this game? When I stop pressing the walk direction buttons I keep walking in that direction. It doesn't happen all the time but it makes replaying this game now a bit of a pain.
    I don't even know what to call it to google the problem. And just tossing "deus ex" into a search engine yields quite a few unrelated results.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So have they ported or modded this to an engine with graphics I can stomach yet?
    I'm a bad man.

EddieDean on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I don't really want to start a new thread but I was wondering if anyone else had the problem of "over-walking" in this game? When I stop pressing the walk direction buttons I keep walking in that direction. It doesn't happen all the time but it makes replaying this game now a bit of a pain.
    I don't even know what to call it to google the problem. And just tossing "deus ex" into a search engine yields quite a few unrelated results.

That only happened to me in the freezers in the back of restaurants, which was intended. Other then that, never.

DrunkMc on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Apparently Gametap now works in the UK.

It didn't last time I tried.

Yay!

Huh, how about that. Maybe now i'll finally get round to playing the new Sam and Max.

So I was asked recently by someone to name my favourite games of all time, and this very nearly nabbed the top spot. In the end, after much hand-wringing, I declared it to be a close second to another, slightly superior game. And then I read that Warren Spector shares my pick for the #1 spot anyway, so now I feel vindicated.
    It's Super Mario 64

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh, I just started playing through this again. Such an amazing game. I can't seem to force AA though. Anyone with an nVidia card figured that one out?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh, I just started playing through this again. Such an amazing game. I can't seem to force AA though. Anyone with an nVidia card figured that one out?

I don't recall ever having to do anything special to get AA. Force it through the NV control panel, just as you do for any game that doesn't natively speak it.

Try switching renderers from DX to OGL maybe?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »

That only happened to me in the freezers in the back of restaurants, which was intended. Other then that, never.

No, it actually happened to me a few years ago when I tried to install it for the PC for the first time. I had played it on the mac when it came out.
    But this is on the intro map (which is about as far as I've gotten.)

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg