Options

[AoC] Rogues - No one likes us

• Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm digging my level 41 ranger. Only problem is he is a little squishy when it comes to multiple enemies. In groups and against single mobs he tears shit up. Usualy one salvo leaves an even level mob with a sliver of health.

Stregone on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    use mezz shot/traps/shattering stance and multiple mobs will not be a problem.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I can do that. Kind of a pain in the ass to micro all that for every group of mobs though.

Stregone on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wasn't entirely sure about my assassin until just now, which also cemented how much I love PvP servers now. I was level 33, and I saw a level 42 go up to a level 20 and try to gank him. I'm stealthed, so I decide to take a chance and attack the level 42. Suffice to say, the level 42 went down from my blades in mere seconds. Maybe that's not so unbelievable, after all, it was only a nine level difference. However...

... I did the exact same thing to a level 50 player. He unstealthed and attacked a low level player, and once again, I was stealthed the whole time watching this. So I go up to the level 50 player, stealth attack him for half his health, then use Snap Kick to knock him to the ground and deliver the final blow. Fuck I love my assassin, and I love Snap Kick. It's the best skill ever. I just wish it didn't have a two minute cooldown.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, low level people have a much bigger chance to actually accomplish things against higher levels in this game. I think this is a good thing

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Yeah, low level people have a much bigger chance to actually accomplish things against higher levels in this game. I think this is a good thing

Its a good thing because it exponentialy increases the amount us rogues can iritate people

Jives on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I made my assassin, woo!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate you thread.

I want to buy this game and make an assassin now. I was just thinking that next time I play an mmo I'd make my main the rogue subtype from wow. I always wanted one but always made something else.

I have a freaking concept and everything, but hadn't heard the stealth-backstab class type existed because I'd been avoiding information. But this topic just sucked me in shooop.

Fuck.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any assassin know which second tier feat for corruption is better? The increased damage on our DoT or the increased chance to hit with our off hand weapon for a soul shard?

The second one doesn't actually show it's percent increase in the feat tooltip, so, it's hard for me to make an informed decision.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Any assassin know which second tier feat for corruption is better? The increased damage on our DoT or the increased chance to hit with our off hand weapon for a soul shard?

The second one doesn't actually show it's percent increase in the feat tooltip, so, it's hard for me to make an informed decision.

Are you going pure Corruption? Because you can actually get pretty much all of the feats from one feat tree. I'm going Lotus, as I don't see much in Corruption or General that I like, and I can get basically everything out of it. There's only one feat I won't be able to get out of all of them, and it's one that's not too important.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Are you going pure Corruption? Because you can actually get pretty much all of the feats from one feat tree. I'm going Lotus, as I don't see much in Corruption or General that I like, and I can get basically everything out of it. There's only one feat I won't be able to get out of all of them, and it's one that's not too important.

I'm planning on going pure corruption. I personally just like the flavor of the corruption tree a lot more, but, different strokes for different folks.

Corruption tree is like lotus in that you can get every feat but 1, and one of the second tier feats was the one I was planning to ignore.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it just me or are assassins rather weak in PVE? At 14 I was having trouble with 2 same level mobs. Throw in a third mob and there's no way I'm surviving.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm planning on going pure corruption. I personally just like the flavor of the corruption tree a lot more, but, different strokes for different folks.

Corruption tree is like lotus in that you can get every feat but 1, and one of the second tier feats was the one I was planning to ignore.

I was talking to two other assassians when I was asking if going general was worth it for various things

Both were lotus and said the other two trees are not so good if you are planning playing that way

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »

I was talking to two other assassians when I was asking if going general was worth it for various things

Both were lotus and said the other two trees are not so good if you are planning playing that way

If you look at all the Age of Conan forums, they say the same thing. Corruption is weaker than Lotus. I wonder if Funcom will start nerfing things and turning assassins into weak kittens in the future. God I hope not. We're really good if we can get that stealth attack off. It's all about surprising your enemy. I've been able to go toe-to-toe with NPCs and other players, of course, but that stealth strike can make a possible win into a definite win.
    Is it just me or are assassins rather weak in PVE? At 14 I was having trouble with 2 same level mobs. Throw in a third mob and there's no way I'm surviving.

You're only level 14. You're really not going to get a feel for your character's power until around 30 or so, depending on the feat tree you choose. Once I got around to 30 and some of the feats in that range, I became a bloody demon. At 33 I was able to take down a level 50 player in seconds. It's funny monitoring the damage of the more straight up fighting classes at the same level as me. Their DPS is a lot lower than the assassin. I just stand there looking at them slowly whittle the enemy down, and then I jump in and destroy the enemy quickly. We have high DPS, and the stealth attack is an incredible advantage, but our trade-off is lower survivability if you just try to go toe-to-toe with everything.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I'm only 13 I think on my assassin, but no problems so far.

Are you sneaking up on people and attacking from stealth? I can take off half of someone's life doing that. Then I just make sure to land combos where they aren't shielding and they go down right quick.

Edit: I don't mind taking what the forums consider to be the sub-par build. I enjoy the flavor more, and I put about zero stock in MMO forums.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find even mobs a couple levels below me see me before I can get within range for a stealth attack. I have my hiding skill maxed. Maybe White Sands is just really bright?

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I find even mobs a couple levels below me see me before I can get within range for a stealth attack. I have my hiding skill maxed. Maybe White Sands is just really bright?

Yeah, stealthing during the day time is pretty hard. You can try to use your light/shadow meter to stick to the darkness but a lot of the time it just isn't do-able.

Also, just got my assassin up to 16. I'm having no problem taking 2 mobs at a time, 3 at a time leaves me almost dying, but is usually do-able, but only if I get the sneak attack off. 2 mobs doesn't need a sneak attack.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I made an assassin.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The most infuriating gameplay mechanic for me so far has been that Search takes you out of stealth, making perception all-but-unusable for any Rogue. I understand it and all, but, if someone's stealthed and I'm trying to find them, I might as well just stealth myself instead, because they won't be able to find me without unstealthing. What the hell sense does that make?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    The most infuriating gameplay mechanic for me so far has been that Search takes you out of stealth, making perception all-but-unusable for any Rogue. I understand it and all, but, if someone's stealthed and I'm trying to find them, I might as well just stealth myself instead, because they won't be able to find me without unstealthing. What the hell sense does that make?

It's like two submarines hunting each other, both afraid to use sonar.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder if Guardians run around swinging polearms, just in case of assassins.

To continue the submarine analogy... depth charges!

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    I wonder if Guardians run around swinging polearms, just in case of assassins.

To continue the submarine analogy... depth charges!

Pretty sure you can't interact at all with someone stealthed. You can walk right through people stealthed. And they walk right through you.

Stregone on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I'm up to level 12 or 13 on my ranger. The usual combat cycle seems to go something like:
    -Mezz shot from stealth
    -If up, pinning shot
    -Salvo
    -Finish 'em off with normal stuff.
    -If PVP or a second mob, maybe throw down a Piercing Shot.
    -More Salvo.

Does that sound right to everyone else? Is there anything I'm missing? What do you (or rangers you see) do?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    So, I'm up to level 12 or 13 on my ranger. The usual combat cycle seems to go something like:
    -Mezz shot from stealth
    -If up, pinning shot
    -Salvo
    -Finish 'em off with normal stuff.
    -If PVP or a second mob, maybe throw down a Piercing Shot.
    -More Salvo.

Does that sound right to everyone else? Is there anything I'm missing? What do you (or rangers you see) do?

You could use your root trap if there is more than one mob.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »

It's like two submarines hunting each other, both afraid to use sonar.

That's actually a really neat mechanic, that I really like.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shit. I've always liked Rogues in MMOs, but Dashui's post is making AoC very tempting. Shame there's no trial at the moment :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Yeah, stealthing during the day time is pretty hard. You can try to use your light/shadow meter to stick to the darkness but a lot of the time it just isn't do-able.

Also, just got my assassin up to 16. I'm having no problem taking 2 mobs at a time, 3 at a time leaves me almost dying, but is usually do-able, but only if I get the sneak attack off. 2 mobs doesn't need a sneak attack.

This doesn't get easier later on, either. I'm playing a Barbarian and have my Hide skill maxed out, but running around the Wild Lands, it's all open plains and broad daylight. I can sometimes sneak up on things, but in large parts of the land there are just no shadows to be found so I get popped out long before I get my stealth attack off. Naturally this doesn't really hurt my Barbarian much, since he can pretty much waste two mobs 3+ levels higher in a stand-up fight in mere seconds. But for an Assassin? I imagine this would be much more of a pain.

The light/dark mechanic of stealth would be much cooler if the game took things like brush and trees into account when determining how hidden a rogue is. The way things are now, I doubt my Assassin will ever get out of Tortage for fear that I'll drive myself crazy trying to stealth kill and always getting spotted.

Unrelated question: Is anyone investing in the 'General' feats? I started to on my Barbarian because I thought the invulnerability feats might be useful for lessening squishiness. Yes/no?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I haven't yet no. I'm probably going to later, though.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I haven't yet no. I'm probably going to later, though.

Well, you are probably the highest level Barbarian in all of Penny Arcadia... so how's your squishiness? Does it get tough to stay alive in the 30's and 40's?

Right now it's not really a problem for my Barbarian... as I've mentioned, when I was level 24 I was taking down level 27 mobs in pairs, and even survived an add with a potion (and not even a good potion... one of those I got from Tortage quests that give 5 health/second). I just figured it might get worse later, and being tougher is never a bad thing, right?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Depends on your feats, I guess. At higher levels, I was keeping myself alive using CC. We get a lot of CC in the berserker tree. Even though we can't fully use most of it in PvP, we can use all of it however we want in PvE, which is awesome. Taking on 4 mobs 2 levels higher than you is no problem for example. So yeah, I never had a need for the talents in the "general" rogue tree. There are just too many awesome ones in the berserker tree.

They just recently nerfed Finishing Blow though, which is a shame. However, we still get plenty of other goodies <3. So yeah, if you're a berserker, you use CC to mitigate damage, and life is good. If you're a reaver though, I have no idea how you do things. ;)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, my Barb is Reaver spec'd, because I wanted to play an Assassin but with bigger weapons. I even made him look pretty roguey... he's been wearing a lot of cloth and I love the way the hood looks, partially covering the face and all.

To this point I basically win fights by doing so much damage so fast that enemies really never get a hit on me. When fighting those level 27 mobs, (spiders and Nemerian soldiers in the Maze) I'd basically use the DoT stab as an opener (or stealth attack if I could manage), then Cyclone of Blades and the mob(s) would be dead. If I tried using one of my other combos that takes 2 or 3 lead-up hits, the first mob would die before the combo itself got launched. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the rogues are proclaiming account cancelations and the worlds doom now that they nerfed our single most overpowered ability

christ

we're still entirely too good at 1vs1

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm sure many Tempests said the same thing when their Idol exploit was nerfed.

And yet, the world goes on... as long as Funcom doesn't proceed to absolutely break everything with huge, sweeping rebalancing efforts and just takes it in small steps (the way they have been), I think everything will be fine.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought the update just changed barbarians, not rogues in general?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Undocumented ranger notes:

SALVO
    Salvo has apparently had it's over all "casting speed" reduced back down to where it was previously, so the arrows fired from it now come out much much faster. Damage for the ability appears to be unchanged, just the firing rate was adjusted back to it's original speed.

MARKED FOR DEATH
    Apparently Marked For Death has been readjusted by the developers to put it back in line with it's intended purposes. This means the cooldown timer on the ability has been increased to 3 minutes, with all other details remaining the same.

SHATTERING STANCE
    Apparently the proc rate for the effects tied to Shattering Stance has been decreased. Some are reporting a significant decrease in the proc rate during initial testing. UPDATE: Testing is confirming, proc rate for the Knockdown Effect in SHATTERING STANCE has been lowered drastically.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    Undocumented ranger notes:

SHATTERING STANCE
    Apparently the proc rate for the effects tied to Shattering Stance has been decreased. Some are reporting a significant decrease in the proc rate during initial testing. UPDATE: Testing is confirming, proc rate for the Knockdown Effect in SHATTERING STANCE has been lowered drastically.

After I got it, within 5 mins of using that stance I knew it was going to get nerfed. Although they may have it a little hard by all accounts.

Apostate on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shattering stance was ridiculous though. it seemed like it must have been 60-70% proc rate before.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hadn't got it yet. :)

I'm only at 15 so I haven't really been able to take advantage of being uber. Honestly though, while powerful, I certainly got my ass handed to me a number of times by HoX, barbs, and even a necro once (granted, all were at least +1-2). My damage is good, but maybe I'm just not at the level yet where it's OP.

Cool to see the salvo buff though. It was cool before, but I like the idea of it going off faster.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    at level 30 i soloed one of those level 33 giants in conall's valley with shattering stance. it was a little broken.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    at level 30 i soloed one of those level 33 giants in conall's valley with shattering stance. it was a little broken.

Yeah I solo'd a boss (Border Lands I think) without SS and a bow, with salvo, and barely won with pots.

I had to kill him again for another quest one level later. I had just respected to xbow and now had SS. Boss only got a single hit on me before he died. It was pretty crazy.

Apostate on