Options

[AoC] Rogues - No one likes us

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So far I'm pretty pleased that a lot of the balance adjustments to Rogue classes have been very much in the vein of bug fixing or actual balance adjustments. Often, at release, Rogues are hit the hardest because they're the ones people whine about getting killed by the most. Let's hope it stays this way.

The finishing blow fix does seem to remove the Barbs Finishing Blow > Decapitate move. Anyone try this?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm a little less impressed that the changes weren't announced in the patch notes. Honestly, it's not like we're not going to notice.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I agree, the "stealth" nature of the balance changes is not good. That has to change.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I officially hate the barbarian players on the european forum

fucking tools.

Also, another stealth change; the graphic for one of my items changed.

They change small odd stuff like that every patch

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, finishing blow was bugged, but it sucks that they are fixing it. I like getting boss mobs to half health on one knockdown.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What I said on the barbarian forum was that they should have probably not nerfed the first hits damage, but were right in removing the damage buff from the second hit.

But no, they want it all. They insist on restoring it back to exactly like it was before, ignoring the fact that we could literally kill anything but tanks within seconds due to it's immensely overpowered nature.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played an assassin to 60 (just decided to try another class for the time being). I went corruption and did fairly well, casters screw me, but meele chars aren't too much of a struggle, also corruption has at least 3 oh shit moves available (you have one that grants health with 5 hits on a 2 min cooldown, one that gives you back health for a short period of time on a 1 min cooldown based on your dark dam, and one that does aoe unholy damage that restores stam,mana, and health to you and the whole group on a 2 min cd). On top of that you get increased evasion, increased unholy damage to targets, reduced evasion chance and reduced armor procs. And when you finish the left side you get a cheapshot like stun from stealth.

I do have to say assassins certainly get more fatalites then any other class I've seen.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, barbarians...
    I'm thinking of making one.
    Shall I dual-wield or fight with a huge 2-handed sword?

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dual wielding is for suicidal DPS crazy types

2h is for crowd control and then some more crowd control

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So how does dual wielding work, exactly?

I dual wielded for a bit on my ranger, but it seemed that the way it was working was i was striking with my sword for any right upper or middle attacks, and my dagger for left upper attacks. Needless to say, i didnt see any value in this since given a choice i'd always want to attack with my higher DPS sword. So i swapped the dagger out for a shield. But it cant work like that, can it? I'm sure i just didnt observe the mechanic properly. I plan to test again tonight (i came home just before server down last night... doh!) but can someone give me a heads up?

Cryogen on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cryogen wrote: »

I dual wielded for a bit on my ranger, but it seemed that the way it was working was i was striking with my sword for any right upper or middle attacks, and my dagger for left upper attacks. Needless to say, i didnt see any value in this since given a choice i'd always want to attack with my higher DPS sword. So i swapped the dagger out for a shield. But it cant work like that, can it? I'm sure i just didnt observe the mechanic properly. I plan to test again tonight (i came home just before server down last night... doh!) but can someone give me a heads up?

Despite what the graphics show, the way it appears to work, to me, is both weapons swing at the same time (regardless of which direction you push) and hit at the same time. Sometimes one or both miss however. With some basic level 10 testing I found that dual wielding did less damage then a single two handed weapon of equivalent value (perhaps with feats DW is better but I didnt like it).

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man, ranger in melee should always be wearing a shield.

Angry on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mike99TA wrote: »
    Cryogen wrote: »

Despite what the graphics show, the way it appears to work, to me, is both weapons swing at the same time (regardless of which direction you push) and hit at the same time. Sometimes one or both miss however. With some basic level 10 testing I found that dual wielding did less damage then a single two handed weapon of equivalent value (perhaps with feats DW is better but I didnt like it).

What he said about some invisible mechanics at work.

Above and beyond that little thing, is that Barbarians have some different combos for whether you wield two weapons or one large weapon. My Barbarian is focused on dual-wielding, and he spins around lots, blades cutting into enemies many, many times with but a single button press. Like Zzulu mentioned, I lack the ability to knock enemies down and stuff (I do have one knockdown), but I tear through them so fast it doesn't really matter (so far).

The coolest thing about playing a Barbarian, though, is that I have a move where I basically just shout at my enemies and they die. I'm really hoping Funcom adds a fatality for that move, which would have to involve face-melting or something.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dual Wielding = pve dps.

2 hander = pvp and crowd control. CC is actually really good for pve, but I'm sure at endgame, everything will be immune. Of course, no one does that yet.

I dig all the stuns my barb gets, it makes AoE farming a lot easier and less deadly for me.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have decided to mix my feat trees now. With my current setup I should get some damage boosting for dualwielding with almost all the CC from the berserker tree, with the super mega overpowered "no escape" combo as well.

I just don't think the bottom of either feat tree looks good

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I have decided to mix my feat trees now. With my current setup I should get some damage boosting for dualwielding with almost all the CC from the berserker tree, with the super mega overpowered "no escape" combo as well.

I just don't think the bottom of either feat tree looks good

I agree, the last feats for Barbs just aren't anything super exciting.

I think I'm putting my Barb on the back burner for now... I'm 38 and I don't ever really want to grind, ever. I stopped getting new abilities worth anything a few levels ago, and I'm starting to feel pretty burned out on him. I'm going to give something else a try and then come back once they patch some of the late 30s content in.

Finishing Blow was definitely nerfed into "useless" territory, so maybe I'll try a respec before I give him up entirely.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Tapeworm711Tapeworm711 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This may sound silly. but what is this "Mezz Shot" you speak of? I'm level 32 and don't have any such ability. I have stealth shot, but I just got that, so you cant have it as early as 13.

Help me out on the current lingo =)

Tapeworm711 on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you get mezz shot as soon as you get hide.

it is what happens when you hit a directional attack out of stealth with a ranged weapon equipped.

Angry on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have been trying to plan a build, I have so far gone with this:

http://www.conanarmory.com/feat.aspx?id=1#::f30efefe2fcefe3fecf4efe2fe2fefe2fe2fe4f2ef2

Thoughts?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    do different levels of arrow and bolt quivers do anything? also any difference between the light, medium and heavy varieties?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Any fellow Reaver Barbs want to comment on this potential build?

http://www.conanarmory.com/feat.aspx?id=2#::f25e13f2e2f7efe2f2efe2dfef5ef3e

Primary goal was to hit Cheat the Reaper (is this ability any good) and just focus on pure DPS.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone have any good Ranger builds? I have absolutely no idea what I am doing right now and I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my points. (Also I'm not using xbows like at all right now)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's no way I'm going to switch between three different weapons, so I've just been ignoring crossbows, as well.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Tapeworm711Tapeworm711 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Crossbows, at least for me, are only really usefull for farming or questing lowbie mobs. Huge initial burst damage, switch to melee and slice and dice. I dont do this, but I imagine its practical.

I just cant see how using them in any even or above fight could prove usefull. Granted I have not dont any damage logging or seena any, but my gut tells me its not worth using xbows.

Tapeworm711 on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    do different levels of arrow and bolt quivers do anything? also any difference between the light, medium and heavy varieties?

There isn't anything in the tooltips to indicate that they are different. As far as I can tell, it's just a different quiver graphic on your back.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I found quivers that do different things.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well green quivers will give you bonus's to damage types. I imagine if they are in the game blue quivers will do the same.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I got a quiver last night that gave me 2.5 more Dex. I was pretty excited.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I got a quiver last night that gave me 2.5 more Dex. I was pretty excited.

That would be nice, if those stat bonuses actually did anything.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    well yeah, I figure at some point they will turn on stat bonuses and then I should be good to go :)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Are you on Death?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »

Are you on Death?

What

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Deathwhisper.

I can guess your answer is no.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm on the european server Fury :)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

So wait, you've got a feat spec that doesn't allow you to use any of the highest-level feats?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's some pretty crazy conspiracy theories circling the european assassin forums saying that female assassins do less damage and have less HP then male ones :P

All in all though, I had major grievances with the class at first, but I'm level 52 now and its picking up, I can comfortably take down 2-3 mobs 3 levels higher then me now with proper use of knockdown and Slow Death combo's.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got this game last night and I'm planning on going Rogue. Specifically, I want to play either a Barbarian or a Ranger. Would anyone be able to tell me what skills I should be focusing on as I level up for either of these classes?

MiSTieOtaku on