As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: "I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation"

• Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Edge_Turn wrote: »
    P.S. - Has Moss been posting around here lately? We miss 'im. :|

Yeah, I'm still around here, but much quieter lately. I'm not on the computer/forums as much as I used to be... my PS2/360/everything console related is sitting in storage (no place to use it)... so I haven't played any RB (or any other console game) since leaving Boston end of March.

So, yeah... I'm just a lame-O now... I still like reading what you guys write, to see how much you <verb> Harmonix and the game.

Still, if anyone wants to do a PBeM of Civ4... :winky:

does... does this mean you no longer work for HMX?

For the most part, correct. I still do some email support and writing documentation (getting crap that only I know out of my head and down on "paper", so to speak).

Hence, my title on the left, XHMXDEV.

Kinda sad, yeah... Harmonix is one of the best places to work, in my opinion. Get a job there, if ya can. (My reasons for leaving are to deal with some personal issues... nothing against Harmonix.)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does this mean Moss Moss Moss might be able to come to PAX PAX PAX?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    Does this mean Moss Moss Moss might be able to come to PAX PAX PAX?

Hmm... Dunno. Little hard for me to plan anything in advance at this point in time.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was HMX or the beard.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    It was HMX or the beard.

Well, perhaps.... ;)

But I'm happy to say that, aside from my "rock shot" in the credits video, there's also (most likely unintentionally) a prefab character who is pretty damn close to me when I'm in full flannel regalia (and if I let my hair grow out).

EDIT: Hey, considering my RB/360 is in storage and will be for the near future, if anyone can get a good, clear screen cap of him jammin' out on whatever, it'd be much appreciated. I need some nice desktop art...

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But I'm happy to say that, aside from my "rock shot" in the credits video, there's also (most likely unintentionally) a prefab character who is pretty damn close to me when I'm in full flannel regalia (and if I let my hair grow out).

EDIT: Hey, considering my RB/360 is in storage and will be for the near future, if anyone can get a good, clear screen cap of him jammin' out on whatever, it'd be much appreciated. I need some nice desktop art...

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, my circle of friends has dubbed that guy "The Lumberjack."

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Are most of the people breaking pedals playing with shoes on? And have any of them played a real kit (not that I think it matters much)? I still have my launch pedal as well and there's not a crack to be seen anywhere on it. But I've been using it barefoot or with socks, so maybe I've just been unintentionally gentler on it?

I broke mine once, and I've had the game since launch, I play with socks or barefoot. I'm not the only one who has played on it - it's possible when it broke it was from someone else being too rough with it weakening it. It broke on me during Limelight, which seems appropriate.

I think people who break their pedals frequently are probably doing it wrong, but they can break even if you're pretty gentle with them.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's plenty of songs where I feel I'm pushing it to the brink (the aforementioned Limelight being one of them), but I've been the only one using my kit since I got it. I should have clarified that I started on expert day one, so it's been getting the full workout for all that time. I'm seriously tempted to just cave and get a modded one so I can both improve my game and not have to worry about breaking it.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd probably go more with Hobo-Lumberjack. He's a bit rough even by their standards. Rough and awesome.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am excited for margaritaville

kinda wish my xbox wasn't now in a place that required me to buy one of those stupid expensive wireless adapters

also I have basically accepted the impossibility of Foreplay and DftR on Expert Drums

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, my circle of friends has dubbed that guy "The Lumberjack."

Which is the same name I went by when I worked for Digital Illusions Canada. :D

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

haha yeah me too we either call him the lumberjack or mullet-man

no offense though hmxmoss the guy I made for my vocal solo tour looks pretty much like him just with aviator shades and a hoodie.. so he's a little una-bomberish but very awesome

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Probably going to just get Margaritaville just for shits and giggles. Not interested in anything else.

Its 2 AM and I am still not in bed. Damn you Rock Band and my need to gold star as many songs as possible. I have 41/45 main setlist songs gold starred, so I am close.

From the Bonus songs, I dont have Seven gold-starred. I am about 2k away from getting it and then never having to play that song again. Such an awful song.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm in a bad place in Rock Band. Medium is too easy now, and hard is too hard. It seems like there is no middle ground.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JIMMY BUFFET?

NOBODY FUCKING LIKES JIMMY BUFFET.

southpark.jpg

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I'm in a bad place in Rock Band. Medium is too easy now, and hard is too hard. It seems like there is no middle ground.

Hard is only hard because you have to get use to repositioning your hand. I recommend setting your hands up R, Y, B, O to sorta get the hang of it.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lepwave wrote: »

Hard is only hard because you have to get use to repositioning your hand. I recommend setting your hands up R, Y, B, O to sorta get the hang of it.

Unfortunately I'm talking about the drums. :(

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Play Gimme Shelter on Hard to ease yourself in. There are a few double kicks in there but nothing that'll make you fail out. Play GG/HT on Hard to build endurance, again very little there to make you fail out other than getting tired. Play Sabotage on Hard to force yourself to get used to off beat bass kicks.

Arikado on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The Lumberjack is civilization. My friend Mike (whom I play Rock Band with often, both as in the 360 game and as in playing guitar out for coffeehouse gigs) is known for wearing old, busted flannel all the time, and the Lumberjack would looks exactly like him if Mike had a full head of hair.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

The Lumberjack is civilization. My friend Mike (whom I play Rock Band with often, both as in the 360 game and as in playing guitar out for coffeehouse gigs) is known for wearing old, busted flannel all the time, and the Lumberjack would looks exactly like him if Mike had a full head of hair.

I only wish The Lumberjack came up more often. I keep getting Power and Paint and it's just odd when it isn't even technically Hard Rock...

Come to think of it, that's what I want to see in a patch or RB2. The ability for the solo instrument to pick the rest of the band (and keep them). Or at least have the rest of the band be selected based on the primary look of the solo avatar. Say based on the torso costume... Bands don't have to be uniform, but similar sure would be nice.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit, Jimmy Buffett? That rocks.

I can't understand how love/hate people are with him. Do you people hate happiness?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well I think it could be the fact that Margetiaville is a painfully depressing song?

Of course I write this on the eve of my 22nd birthday eternally depressed because I got nothing accomplished this year.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Probably going to just get Margaritaville just for shits and giggles. Not interested in anything else.

Its 2 AM and I am still not in bed. Damn you Rock Band and my need to gold star as many songs as possible. I have 41/45 main setlist songs gold starred, so I am close.

From the Bonus songs, I dont have Seven gold-starred. I am about 2k away from getting it and then never having to play that song again. Such an awful song.

Yeah, those last 4 songs are a bitch. I finally got Flirtin' With Disaster a couple of days ago, but Train, Run to the Hills and Green Grass are not even close.

Don't actually have creep either. Stupid strummy sections. :|

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Well I think it could be the fact that Margetiaville is a painfully depressing song?

Of course I write this on the eve of my 22nd birthday eternally depressed because I got nothing accomplished this year.

That may be so, but how can you hate Cheeseburger in Paradise?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

That may be so, but how can you hate Cheeseburger in Paradise?

Maybe they're vegetarian Eskimos? olololololol!

...*ahem* sorry...

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Play Gimme Shelter on Hard to ease yourself in. There are a few double kicks in there but nothing that'll make you fail out. Play GG/HT on Hard to build endurance, again very little there to make you fail out other than getting tired. Play Sabotage on Hard to force yourself to get used to off beat bass kicks.

Play Run to the Hills to get better at throwing your drums out the fucking window.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It's just the speed. It's too fast for this old man. I've been stuck on Go with the Flow for over a month now.

Yesterday I couldn't get past 15% or so. I was angry.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Play Run to the Hills to get better at throwing your drums out the fucking window.
    True that :lol:
    The only song to come close to that would be Blackened.
    Blackened is the 15% song.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should give Blinded By Fear a shot.

it's terrible.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Smug Duckling, Arikado and Arikado's sister. Awesome times! Awesome gold stars.

Good times playing around, we should do this again.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    God my sister threw a big fit when she missed that last note on Cherub Rock.
    It was the funniest thing ever.

I don't know what the fuck happened to me on I Get By. I usually get -2 or -3 runs but that one was like...-6 or something.
    So, soothing my throat now with some room temp Sam Adams and reading. We'll probably be on later on in the night. We've been in front of the TV for like 5 hours. :|

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You're going to be playing Rock Band again tonight Arikado?? You're waaaaay more addicted than I am.

Edit: Also, Smug Duckling, Hysteria Bass FC?? You beast.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I felt a bit like a dick for choosing Hysteria on my bass turn. Felt like I was cheating the switching system because the bass part is so interesting. That 100% of it came out of nowhere though. Never gotten close to that before.

And also did that on I Get By guitar. Man, I've been trying for so long to gold star that song, and then I end up FCing it in multiplayer.

Lots of gold stars to show for our efforts, and on some hard songs too.

I'm done for the night. I have a headache from staring at a screen for the last many hours.

Unfortunately we three didn't have a lot of overlap in our DLC lists. At least we had the Boston pack.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    You're going to be playing Rock Band again tonight Arikado?? You're waaaaay more addicted than I am.

Edit: Also, Smug Duckling, Hysteria Bass FC?? You beast.

Not Rock Band, really. I downloaded a couple of games from LIVE that I want to play at some point.

And yeah, that Bass FC was pretty sweet. I'm not too happy with my performances on Smokin' and Timmy can go fuck itself.

Arikado on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My group got together this evening for our first session with all of us playing hard (with the drummer occasionally switching to expert). I am the vocalist, and personally found it pretty frustrating. I did fine, all in all (got 100% on two songs), but felt like I was singing a lot better than the game was scoring me.

I think, partially, the mic wasn't picking me up perfectly. I noticed that switching down an octave, which I did after my voice got tired, seemed to decrease its accuracy a lot. Like, the tone-needle would be jumping around, when I was holding a note right on pitch. That was very frustrating. Usually, switching up an octave solved the problem, but then, with my voice tired, I couldn't do as well.

Has anyone else noticed the mic seems to be more accurate for higher ranges, and has trouble with lower ranges? Or any other oddness? Do I just suck, or something? :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    My group got together this evening for our first session with all of us playing hard (with the drummer occasionally switching to expert). I am the vocalist, and personally found it pretty frustrating. I did fine, all in all (got 100% on two songs), but felt like I was singing a lot better than the game was scoring me.

I think, partially, the mic wasn't picking me up perfectly. I noticed that switching down an octave, which I did after my voice got tired, seemed to decrease its accuracy a lot. Like, the tone-needle would be jumping around, when I was holding a note right on pitch. That was very frustrating. Usually, switching up an octave solved the problem, but then, with my voice tired, I couldn't do as well.

Has anyone else noticed the mic seems to be more accurate for higher ranges, and has trouble with lower ranges? Or any other oddness? Do I just suck, or something? :(

I have also experienced this if it's any help. Singing at an high octave always makes me do better at songs, which can be annoying sometimes.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No problems with either of my mics, I'm willing to guess that when you drop down low enough for that to happen, you're not really maintaining the low pitch so it starts to pick it up as a loud, vibrating hum. You'll eventually have to figure it out on your own on figuring out what octave/pitch you'll need to hit those low notes. What song is it that you're having issues with?

I've been going over Hard Vocals career with my sister and helping her out but about half my advice is pure bullshit to her because her natural octave is slightly higher than mine, which forces her to sing at a higher squeaky octave for songs like "Should I Stay or Should I Go."

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    gilrain wrote:

I have also experienced this if it's any help. Singing at an high octave always makes me do better at songs, which can be annoying sometimes.

I think, in part, that's the physics of sound. Lower pitch == lower frequency == detection lag. I'm not physicist, and I didn't do any of the audio pitch detection code... wouldn't know how... so take with grain of salt.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote:
    I think, in part, that's the physics of sound. Lower pitch == lower frequency == detection lag. I'm not physicist, and I didn't do any of the audio pitch detection code... wouldn't know how... so take with grain of salt.
    I am still going to claim to my group that a dev confirmed it's not because I suck at singing. 8-)

gilrain on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gilrain wrote:

The physics of sound and pitch as they relate to music are pretty interesting. As you go up in octaves, the distance between frequencies for one pitch to the next are (something like) twice as large.

So (I'm pulling these numbers completely out of my ass for the sake of example):

if a middle octave C is at 400 hz, the next octave's C is at 800 hz, but the next octave below has a C at 200 hz.

So for the two C-to-C octaves you can imagine in this scenario, the lower octave has 12 pitches squeezed into range of 200-400 hz, while the higher octave has 12 pitches crammed into the space of 400-800 hz.

(the actual numbers I'm using here are complete bullshit, but the concepts are true and well-documented. look it up if you're interested, it's pretty interesting!)

So, in practice, what this means is that for each octave higher, there's basically twice as much room for error before you're edging into the territory of a different pitch. It's not your imagination that you're singing more accurately as you sing higher octaves--the same error in frequency (i.e. the same deviation in hz away from the true frequency of the desired pitch) becomes (about) twice as great a pitch error each time you drop an octave.

Captain K on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Making fun of this guy here as to not bump his thread.

Thread Baleeted: Was a site whore for a DLC review site.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman