As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade mobile?

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
I remember there being a version of the main site for mobile devices, located at www.penny-arcade.com/mobile , that was simply the day's posts and a link to the current comic, no fluff. Is this gone for good? The current main site is hell to read on a phone or anything similar.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, any kind of mobile or iPhone version would be kind of neat to have. That's probably more work than they'd like to put in I guess.

Satan. on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll throw it on the back burner and see if I can't come up with something.

Älphämönkëy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome, thanks. I don't know if you can make it default to the mobile version from the main page, but that would also rock.

Willeth on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks. I don't know if you can make it default to the mobile version from the main page, but that would also rock.
    That will be difficult, but I'll see what I can do. I don't want to slow down the mainsite response times for regular browsers to support mobile / console ones. We'll see if there is an easy solution.

Älphämönkëy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough. I only ask because I've seen it on other sites - accessing http://www.joystiq.com from my phone shunts me to their mobile site, for example.

Willeth on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I'd like to add my voice to the proceedings. A mobile/lite version would be great, and it'd be fine if there was a little button somewhere on the main index that would let one toggle between standard/lite mode. I ask mostly because I browse the forums quite a bit from my iPod touch and--although it works well--reading this thing could be easier. A toggle switch such as the one I suggested may be the solution to the server load problem, but may also pose a problem for phone browsers that have problems displaying the main page anyway.

Just a thought.

Senshi on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We need penny arcade mobile again

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    There is a webforum I frequent that deals with the Sega Dreamcast (and it's web browsers) that allows the user to select in their profile which version of the forums they would like to load when they browse, either the standard or "light" version.

Wouldn't help for the main page, but it would be transparent to normal users I guess.

Although, in terms of the light version of the forums, they only have to worry about three specific (and relatively similar) browsers, so I'm assuming it's much easier than having to deal with the varied amount of mobile browsers that exist for phones and other portable devices that hit the PA forums.

Einhander on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You should try Opera Mini. It connects to an intermediary server which rewrites the page for mobile phones. The main site looks fine using that.

Ivar on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Opera Mini isn't perfect though. I have it on my HTC Diamond and while the site generally looks good, spoilers don't work (they blank the entire post) and quick post and quick reply return a blank page.

There are also issues with the page resetting randomly when I'm reading, but I don't know how much of that is Opera or just performance issues on my phone.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531