As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames!

• Options
    AntilleseAntillese Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Squashua wrote:
    ARKHAM HORROR
    I have this game and mentioned it quite a few posts back.

It's fun, don't get me wrong, but it requires a boatload of bookkeeping.
    If you have the opportunity yo give it a try before you buy, do so.
    I agree with this. A buddy of mine has it. It's slow in my opinion. Ironically, I think TI plays "faster" in that there's more interesting things for you to do more often. There are points in AH when most of the turn is taken up by the "bad guys."

Edit: 'Bout time they said something about the TI expansion.

Antillese on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    With practice, Arkham Horror plays smooth and fast. There are a lot of details, and that a bit obnoxious, but once we passed a critical point of experience it became really, really easy to keep on track.

The expansions look like they will balance the game nicely. Out of the box, Arkham Horror only plays 3-4 really well - to easy with more, to hard with less. There are fan tweaks that work, but it nice to see the expansions address the issue.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    McCoy PauleyMcCoy Pauley Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    With practice, Arkham Horror plays smooth and fast. There are a lot of details, and that a bit obnoxious, but once we passed a critical point of experience it became really, really easy to keep on track.

The expansions look like they will balance the game nicely. Out of the box, Arkham Horror only plays 3-4 really well - to easy with more, to hard with less. There are fan tweaks that work, but it nice to see the expansions address the issue.
    The first AH expansion is just some more cards, right? I assume that just adds more in the way of monsters, items, etc.

What's in the second expansion? Does it include a new board with new areas?

McCoy Pauley on
    McCoy+Pauley.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    apotheos wrote:

The first AH expansion is just some more cards, right? I assume that just adds more in the way of monsters, items, etc.

Yep, new board.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Liabe BraveLiabe Brave Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Someone asked a few pages back how War of the Ring played. Answer: great. It has a very nice battle system that never gets too dry, and is very well integrated with the theme. There's a lot to keep track of, and it's definitely not something you pull out on a whim: you set aside a day to play it. (Because it has very specific unit setup, it takes a while to get going too.)

The strategy is extremely varied and labile due to the powers of leaders and cards, but never gets to seem chaotic or purely randomized. You can set up a plan and carry it out, whether as the Fellowship or Sauron. The name is accurate: in the games I've played, there was very little skirmishing. Instead, evil armies accrue rapidly, and the scattered forces of the West have to band together to stop the pillaging. Book locales like Isengard, Moria, and Minas Tirith have just as great strategic importance.

Really, a fantastic game. I've played lots of "epic" games that were actually just "long"--War of the Rings is good the whole way through. The only issues I had were time to learn the rules, setup time each game, and occasional bouts of downtime should a player cogitate too much. It's not the fastest game ever, but it's surprisingly quick given its complexity. (Twilight Imperium 3rd is the only equally-elaborate game I've played that runs quicker.)

Liabe Brave on
    My name is Christian Smith.
    "I just want people to see my action heart."
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    InitialDK wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:
    On a completely random note, anyone else have this one?

pic11112.jpg

I used to swear by Fireball Island. I think my parents threw it away many years ago :(

X-Entertainment did a neat article on it.

My friends and I were looking for an appropriate way to waste time prior to the first day of our road trip. I opened up the games closet, and there it was - neither one of them had even heard of it.

Great times were had by all. I forgot how amusing that game is.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2006
    Is War of the Rings for two players only? I'm interested in it.

Echo on
  • Options
    NonamnonNonamnon Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I played TI3 twice this week. Don't ask how the hell we pulled it off, but we did.

The first game was a five player game with two new players, and took near 12 hours, with at least 2 or 3 one-hour breaks in the middle, so, like 8-9 hrs, with lots of bullshitting in between. I won, even after the other four ganged up on me. Armistice action card FTW.

The second game, just a few days ago, was actually two 4p games played SIMULTANEOUSLY, with the wormholes allowing players to go to the opposite board and hinder things there. We didn't really hammer out the rules perfectly, but we kept the two games synched, and kept the two copies cards and whatnot apart, so it was fair. In the end, we'll never, ever do it again. The craziness of the situation we put ourselves in was actually put aside when we realized that one person on the board I was playing on was actually making plans to win the game from very early, all the while attempting to "assist" in our assaults on the opposite board. It was extremely well played, and it reminded me of the first time I won a game of TI3, before my friends knew never to trust me :P

You, sir, are like a tiny diety.
    You must have a very tolerant significant other. I have been itching, myself, to get another game of TI3 going on, and am hoping to do so on Independence Day. I am hoping to try out the new race, Embers of Muaat.

Starting War Sun? Cooooll.

Nonamnon on
    I hate the maggots most of all...
  • Options
    NonamnonNonamnon Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Is War of the Rings for two players only? I'm interested in it.

War if the Rings is a LOT of fun. The bits alone are worth the price of admission.
    It can be played with 4 players (2 teams of 2), but it really shines with just 2.

Nonamnon on
    I hate the maggots most of all...
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If 3200 chits is too much for you,

Does anyone play Twilight Imperium? 1st edition with expansions rock hard.

49_TwilightImperium.jpg

After the first edition they really changed the rules, not in a good way to me. They also got rid of the colorful playing pieces on cardboard and used plastic figs with about as much detail as... well, a small, cheap, plastic fig.

It made me sad.

BTW anyone in the Richmond area wanting to hook up and play some of these let me know eh?

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Has anyone here tried the 2-player card-based version of Settlers of Catan? I just recently learned that it existed but I'm not sure how a 2-player version would even work.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    McCoy PauleyMcCoy Pauley Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Jinx wrote:
    Has anyone here tried the 2-player card-based version of Settlers of Catan? I just recently learned that it existed but I'm not sure how a 2-player version would even work.
    I just picked up the reprint and have played exactly one game, so with that caveat, I'd say I liked it, and it feels sort of like Settlers but works better than the 2-player variants of the boardgame that I've tried. With 2 players there's little to no incentive to trade, so you miss out on that element, but other than that, the building and resource gathering/management does feel like the boardgame.

Basically, in the game each player has a set of resource fields and two settlements with a road connecting them. Resources are generated on the roll of a single die, and then you try to building things in order to expand your holdings (i.e., more roads, settlements, and cities) and get more victory points. Where the card game differs from the boardgame is there are all kinds of different things you can add on to your settlements and cities that change the rules of the game, from trading fleets (to make trading resources more efficient) to buildings that increase the number of cards you can hold in your hand or that protect your resource fields in the event of a plague, etc.

Based on that single play, I'd say I'm interested in trying out the game again, and I'm pleased with how it still feels like the board game. It certainly beats the 2-player variants of the Settlers boardgame that I've tried.

McCoy Pauley on
    McCoy+Pauley.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006

Well, that's the thing. The first expansion isn't just "some cards", there are a number of gameplay changes that enhance the game to make it less generic and more exciting; the current cars are like "Roll against a skill or shit happens". These are supposedly a little "deeper" and add a ton of flavor. If I keep seeing more good reviews about it, I'm going to get it. Keep an eye on Board Game Geek.

The second expansion isn't just a new board addition, but it's a whole new adventure; the thing is, I don't know how it will work. I play the current one and in my game session I barely have time to breathe let alone take a train to another board and do crap THERE too. So here's hoping the mechanics are adjusted for that. I'm interested, but I'll again wait for reviews to come in before a kneejerk purchase.

In other news, I'm the one that put together that character creator for Arkham Horror on BGG, so I do have some sort of interest in the game.

Squashua on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Jinx wrote:

I actually prefer it to the original, but you have to accept the fact that it plays nothing like the original. If you are looking for "2 player Settlers of Catan" you will be disappointed.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    http://www.polaritygame.com/
    polarity_1.jpg
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned this game. I picked it up a while ago, and it has not made it back to my house since =( we have had entire days that revolved around tournaments of this game. It just gets better the more you drink too. I enjoy games like this, simple in appearance, complex in strategy.

Code on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Sonar, if I ever get a vehicle that could make it to Richmond, I'd definitely be up for some board game geekery.

but then, I think you already knew this

Captain K on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Jragghen wrote:
    InitialDK wrote:
    Jragghen wrote:
    On a completely random note, anyone else have this one?

[img][/img]FIREBALL ISLAND!!!

I used to swear by Fireball Island. I think my parents threw it away many years ago :(

X-Entertainment did a neat article on it.

My friends and I were looking for an appropriate way to waste time prior to the first day of our road trip. I opened up the games closet, and there it was - neither one of them had even heard of it.

Great times were had by all. I forgot how amusing that game is.

I remember it being fun too, but I also remember it could be incredibly unfair. I don't exactly remember the circumstances but I remember getting really pissed at my sister for some reason.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Well I guess I'll see how the card-based Settlers works out and then consider throwing down for any expansions. It can't hurt to try it. :) I'll just brace myself for a difference experience under the same name.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    This site looks like it'll be getting a sizable chunk of my money in the near future. A hell of a lot of good games there.[/url]

Doronron on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I prefer www.funagain.com, www.gamesurplus.com, www.thoughthammer.com, www.boardsandbits.com, www.fairplaygames.com, and/or www.adam-spielt.de.

But that's just because they have a greater selection of games I'm interested in.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Sitewhores. :wink:

Squashua on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Anyone know if any of these games any good?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Sonar, if I ever get a vehicle that could make it to Richmond, I'd definitely be up for some board game geekery.

I thought you moved to Texas.

This man shows dedication.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    Sonar wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

I thought you moved to Texas.

This man shows dedication.

He moved back to Carolina.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    http://www.gamepile.com/game10.html

Supremacy was an awsome war game. It had a "Risk" like feel ... but Risk with nukes. =P Every game inevitably ended in a holocaust. =)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

Supremacy was an awsome war game. It had a "Risk" like feel ... but Risk with nukes. =P Every game inevitably ended in a holocaust. =)

I have Supremecy and some of the expansions for it (I need to get around to getting the rest). I thought the base game was okay, but I thought the expansions really helped the game out, especially the Killer Satellites one, and made it a much better game. I always thought the stock market portion could have used a little work though. Definitely, the goal in the game was not just to be the last super power on earth, but to be the last super power on an earth that was not irradiated to the point of being uninhabital . .

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Bamelin wrote:

I'll do you one better:

http://www.bachleda.org/games/supindex.htm

and

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=5069

Fun game.

Doronron on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Doronron wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

I'll do you one better:

http://www.bachleda.org/games/supindex.htm

and

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=5069

Fun game.

Those, fine sir, are excellent (especially that first one)!! I have the megamap, and I believe I picked up the 3.0 rules at some point, but now I can verify contents for anything I pick up via Ebay.

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Generally no. Or at least they completely fail to appeal to my group.

I have a bunch of them. Captain Treasure Boots is the best by a long way out of what I have (see my review on BGG). After that is freeloader, although it is very much like a "traditional" boardgame.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2006
    Uriel wrote:

I've heard good stuff about the Dr. Lucky games. I have Save Dr. Lucky, but I have yet to play it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

I've heard good stuff about the Dr. Lucky games. I have Save Dr. Lucky, but I have yet to play it.
    You've been lied to unless Save Dr Lucky happens to be radically different from Kill Dr Lucky. And I'm fairly sure it isn't.

The game pretty much has a single mechanic. Player 1 plays the kill X attack, the other players then play sabotage cards to try and stop it. First one to sucessfully kill the doctor wins. It's very dull and I was ashamed that I'd suggested my group play it.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Weee. Time for a trip to the boardgame store.

I'm just looking though, no buying for me. Not today.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Weee. Time for a trip to the boardgame store.

I'm just looking though, no buying for me. Not today.

Have fun. Tell us what you picked up when you come back. :P

Doronron on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Some Cheapass games are worth the price of admission. Light Speed is one. Agora is another. Big Idea is an interesting, and potentially amusing, creature...not sure if it is a good "game", though. I've also been entertained by Deadwood.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    CzechCzech Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    I see. Chapel Hill's not good enough for you now. :cry:

Czech on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    What would you guys recommend as a good game for five/six people? I'm holding my graduation party this Saturday, and looking to pick up a new game for us to try.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Kumquats wrote:
    What would you guys recommend as a good game for five/six people? I'm holding my graduation party this Saturday, and looking to pick up a new game for us to try.

You said five/six people, and my heart screamed "TWILIGHT IMPERIUM." Then you said party and those words dissolved.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Kumquats wrote:

APPLES TO APPLES

Every single time we play the game, someone buys a copy.

Of course, you probably have a copy.

Squashua on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    Squashua wrote:
    Kumquats wrote:

APPLES TO APPLES

Every single time we play the game, someone buys a copy.

Of course, you probably have a copy.
    I... I'm actually the only one among my friends who doesn't enjoy Apples to Apples, so... not at my party, bitch. :x

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Kumquats wrote:
    I'm actually the only one among my friends who doesn't enjoy Apples to Apples, so... not at my party, bitch. :x

Kumquats to Kumquats then, douche. :evil:

Squashua on