As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread resolved [psych stuff]

OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Resolution!

I'm sorry I wronged H/A and infract me if you want for this.

words
Oboro on

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    It's definitely possible to carry another mental illness in conjuction with autism. Definitely seek out help, as finally having confirmation of this will keep you from getting chucked around from psych to psych like you've talked about in the past.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a lot of ground between the extremes of autistic spectrum disorders. As you put it, you're high-functioning so it'd be hard to go "eureka! this explains every mistake I've ever made in my life thus far!" It probably isn't going to be a huge breakthrough in your ongoing journey through psychiatric care.

It is also possible that a diagnosis at the age of 9 could have been wrong. According to my mother, who worked for years as an educational aide to disabled kids including many autistics, most of the time kids are diagnosed much earlier because it's in your early years, about ages two to six, where autistic disorders manifest most clearly. She rarely saw students who were diagnosed as late as eight or nine.

If you got through kindergarten and your first few years of primary school without raising any red flags in teachers your case isn't very severe.

I would advise some cautious skepticism, for now. Do bring this up with a professional psychiatrist, preferably one you can see on a regular basis. It's going to be difficult to tease apart a mild autistic spectrum disorder from all the other stuff you have going on, but a few sessions of therapy should help you and your shrink figure out what's what.

Mostly, you don't want to start expecting that treating this disorder will turn your life around in one fell swoop. It can and probably will help a therapist finally figure out what to do with you. I know you've had a lot of trouble with shrinks, but who knows how much of that is them not being properly informed?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    To address the question of age, that was my own wrong estimate. This happened when I refused to go to school for two months at the start of 2nd grade, so ... 6 years old, not 9. Again, entirely possible that it was an improper diagnosis based on someone not noticing, but I also doubt that it was an environment where anyone cared. I have a bunch of other issues with my parents, and both then and now they're the sort that don't exactly buy into head doctors.

I had some other stuff typed out but I don't think it matters so pubfft. I'm also not sure this thread has any merit. I'm pretty sure its merit status is zero.

Urk.

EDIT: There, much better. Now I can feel dumb and everyone else can appreciate it. TY to W_H and AresProphet for good replies. :)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quite a lot of the Autism spectrum does not greatly affect one's ability to function in day-to-day activities. The stories one would hear about Autistic people are usually A) about children and B) about very low-functioning children who can't do anything on their own (and news agencies see poor underdeveloped incapable children as being better news than showing those children all grown up). So rest assured that there is quite a lot of range out there... though, as Wonder_Hippie says, it can be paired with other problems.

Most certainly let the doctors know because this could greatly help in diagnoses. They can now say "really? Oh, well that explains symptoms 1, 2, 4, and 6 which greatly reduces my complete confusion!" or something like that (probably won't come out as such an epiphany but, hey, every little bit).

As for information, a good place to start is Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum_disorder which goes into an explanation of the major categories and the usual facts. Even if you know exactly which category you were diagnosed into, do not assume it is still that way now. Find a psychologist in your area that specializes in adults with autistic spectrum disorder. This should greatly help on the way towards correct diagnoses of your current situation and, if necessary, get you on whatever correct drugs (or, better yet, off any incorrect drugs... though it won't be that they are actually bad for you, just that they may not be of any great use in people with your condition).

In the end, this information can do nothing but help you out. It is not like you just got the disorder from learning about it - you've always had it. Thus it is not like your life will suddenly implode because you aren't able to handle it - you've always handled it. So this isn't like finding out you've got Type I diabeties.

Good luck, I hope learning this will lead to positive changes.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
This discussion has been closed.