As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T open discussion thread

189111314

Posts

  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Okay, let's settle down and take a breather.

    Henroid on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Okay, let's settle down and take a breather.
    good idea.

    in the meantime:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I don't understand what the issue is with the chat thread. As long as people aren't posting porn or something in it, it doesn't really need moderation.
    My position on the chat thread is that the chat threaders are the only ones haivng any real complaints about things, though, those complaints are for the most part unfounded.

    Yes but the thing neither of you realize is that you're both wrong.

    Should I bother explaining that statement or do you guys want to just skip to the part where you point out what a prick I am and I'll spend the ten minutes required jerking off instead?

    You should go ahead and explain it, so I don't have to.

    Alright.

    Point the first:
    The chat thread needs moderation. Why? Because it is a construct with certain goals and it must adhere to certain rules and standards. All three of these facets are equally important.
    The goal is to provide a location for people to have conversations about topics not appropriate to the forum dedicated to video games and technology. For instance, the world cup, or the new Superman movie (totally fucking rad, for the record).
    The rules come in where there are certain subjects you're barred from discussing, like where to download things protected by copyrights, or how terrible my latest moderating decision was, or how much everyone hates Henroid.
    The standards come in where we expect a certain manner of decorum. Yes, it's the Internet. No, it's not GameFAQs. You people have lower standards for post quality than any other forum here and don't you even start in on that anti-SE bandwagon crap because it's the height of bullshit coming from G&T chat threaders. You want to see a real chat thread? Go look in D&D. They talk about things and have actual discussions. A lot of the time it's about inane shit like how awful work was or what they did over the weekend but guess what that's the point of the chat thread. Casual conversations that don't fit elsewhere or couldn't happen elsewhere.
    The standards also apply in another manner. D&D had to crack down on homosexual innuendo a while back, not because gays are gross, but because it was overwhelming actual conversation, and it was lewd to the point of being inappropriate. The same would have happened if it were boy-girl innuendo, too.


    None of these three facets will uphold themselves. Social Darwinism doesn't work on the Internet that way, what happens is the chat thread devolves to the point where it's a place for a small clique to post images they dredged up on a porn site, be rude to outsiders and develop xenophobic complexes.


    Now it didn't get here because you're all bad people. The same thing would happen in SE if they didn't have the best moderator we've ever had keeping an eye on the place. The same thing would happen in D&D if they didn't have the absolutely crack crew they've got. G&T has great people on staff too, but the chat thread got neglected. It didn't seem important at the time and there was a lack of will on the parts of certain individuals to enforce rules that they personally disliked, leading to an overall breakdown. I, and everyone else on the team, are very sorry we let you down. So we're trying to fix things here.

    Fixing things means moderating the chat thread. There are problems with it, namely the fact that it utterly fails to adhere to the standards of anywhere else on the forums, the fact that it in no way accomplishes its goals the way the D&D chat thread does, and the fact that quite often the rules just end up out the window.


    Now I realize that many of you disagree with those goals and feel that the real goal should be to provide a place for you to post anything and just dick about. That's great, but no one cares what you think because you're wrong and you don't get to make that decision. It's not a democracy, never has been and never will be, so if that's your aim, abandon all hope now and move on. You'll be happier and so will we.

    I realize also that many of you will take offense to the suggestion that you fail to meet our standards for decorum, and that some of you will even go so far as to suggest that us even having standards for your behaviour proves that we're a bunch of overly detached jerks with superiority complexes that aren't here for the community because the community is clearly defined by you and your handful of buddies. I don't really have a counter to this one, except to point out that this would be a good example of tragic irony if you ever were hard up for one.

    And finally, some of you argue that because we're not part of your community that we don't understand it and that because of this we can't hope to know what's best for it. The thing is, we do know what's best for your community. You would be best served by starting your own treehouse. The rest of the community would be served best by you obeying the rules, or as stated, leaving. Yes, this is awfully callous. Imagine what breaking up with me must be like.
    The real crux of this specific issue however, is that this argument is completely irrelevant to the fact that we established the chat for a reason, that it ran with a reason and goals and rules and moderation and that having allowed it to drift without our continual input has lead to those goals and rules and reasons being abandoned. But we still know. We still remember. We therefore are more than adequately equipped to know what's best for the forums.

    You're not the forums. You're tiny. Tiny, tiny, tiny. There's at most I'd wager a dozen to two dozen of you who are specifically hardliners opposed to this whole deal. That's nothing, nothing compared to the current forum membership overall and less than nothing compared to the number of people who have come and gone. You're just louder, more offensive and a great deal ruder than most. And that's coming from me, pheezer.


    So that's that. This post is a good deal more than what mono asked for but hey, I'm trying to make up for what I've lost in post quantity lately.
    quotin' dis so you dudes can read it
    again

    read this

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Henroid locked a thread, the world is over.

    edit: oh, it was you, orikae.

    Monoxide on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Every time I show up this thread is locked.


    I am starting to grow susicious.

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    Every time I show up this thread is locked.


    I am starting to grow susicious.
    you can unlock it if you want, i think everyone's calmer

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    unlockin' dis

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited June 2006
    I regular G&T and occasionally visit SE++ because it's entertaining. I haven't been flamed since I started posting there, even after making a couple threads. However, I don't want the chat thread to go. Even if I like going to SE++, I can't go there to talk to G&T people, and I don't think removing the chat thread would make them go there. There are idiots who wouldn't fit in there because they can't follow the rules, yes, but there are also people who generally just don't like that atmosphere. This is in response to the "just go to SE++/D&D" arguement.
    Monoxide wrote:
    I'd be more than happy to hear some intelligent and well thought out suggestions as to what should happen from here. I'd even be happy to hear some concrete reasons why we need new mods, if that's what you think needs to be done. Just put some thought into it, please, instead of starting bandwagons and slandering the people you're trying to convince.
    I'm a heavy supporter of the megathreads, and don't understand how they've come under fire here, but I'll provide a list of reasons on why they shouldn't go.

    Arguement: The megathreads lessen the amount of newsworthy threads created on the board, because people are told to go to the related megathread upon creation.

    Counter-arguement: I don't see this attitude anymore. For example, Imran recently created a thread on the Trauma Center reprint, and no one brought up how the subject had already been thoroughly discussed in the DS thread.

    Solution: If this really is still a problem, the solution is simple: count megathread redirecting as a form of backseat moderation and thread assassination. People won't do it anymore.

    Arguement: The megathreads force people to read eighty pages to find relevant news for a system.

    Counter-arguement: But without the megathreads, there would be anywhere between 5 to 10 new threads a day, and most would only get a few posts. As Imran put it, the board would become Kotaku - a lot of threads for news stories that don't deserve one, a lot of responses questioning the significance of the news story, and nowhere else to discuss them. A thread for Cooking Mama would not receive many posts, because the game is far from release and only a small amount of people are interested in it, but there would be no other way to discuss it. In addition, less active threads such as the Animal Crossing thread (which only receives a few posts a day, a page on busy days) would be bumped to page three and beyond, killing it and a lot of mini-communities. You'd exchange 80-page threads for 80 threads.

    Solution: The current megathread opening posts are a mess. With no disrepect intended to the people who created them, they contain huge fonts, excessive bolding, and tons of images for month old news. They need a thread creator who wants to upkeep them, and a minimalistic design that allows easy access to relevant information without making everything size 24. Even creating a list of links for all the significant news stories in a week would solve the problem perfectly.

    In addition, people who hate the megathreads need an attitude change - if you went into a megathread and asked if anything had been announced recently, there are plenty of friendly people who would tell you.

    Arguement: The megathreads create cliques.

    Counter-arguement: All of the systems have online components, so this is natural. I don't see how this is a bad thing. The game and series threads have cliques, but it's not like you can't just hop in and join the fun.

    Solution: I don't think it needs one.

    Arguement: The megathreads have a lot of worthless spam posts.

    Counter-arguement: No counter-arguement, they do, especially in the Wii thread. You can walk into the Wii thread in a slow news week and only see tired, unfunny jokes about the PS3 press conference. However, the DS, PSP, and 360 threads remain on-topic most of the time, because they are for released systems.

    Solution: Attitude change on part of the forumers. If pointless, stupid posts are shunned by everyone else in the thread, people won't make them. Maybe a rule in the first post about not being a derailing retard.

    I don't think I need to explain why the megathreads are good, because I mostly covered that in my counter-arguements. So, these are my suggestions.

    Kevar on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    pheezer wrote:
    what happens is the chat thread devolves to the point where it's a place for a small clique to post images they dredged up on a porn site, be rude to outsiders and develop xenophobic complexes.
    It's too bad none of these things are, you know, actually true.
    welp,

    read this

    Mai-Kero on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    he is being somewhat of a dick.
    so was slung, though.

    i said just jail them both.

    if it means he gets punished, I am more than happy to take a break from make poast

    Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    snip

    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The post Pheezer made does make quite a bit of sense. I didn't even have this opinion before, but now this thread has made me realize that yeah, G&T would actually be better off without the chat thread. It is supposed to be an on-topic forum and there are simply other places that you can go. These places are readily moderated as well and special cases do not need to be made for them. That moderaters should have to go out of their way to moderate a chat thread within G&T is rather ridiculous considering all of the other places that such chatting could take place. To me at least, some of the best points here have been made by Kazhiim, Pheezer, and Henroid. And Mai-Kero, your posts have been the most entertaining to read.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Kevar wrote:
    snip

    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    Works for me

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    To me at least, some of the best points here have been made by Kazhiim, Pheezer, and Henroid.

    yes, mm, oh god

    delicious praise

    you are my ambrosia

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Kevar wrote:
    snip

    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    Works for me

    We have the game on reference desk in GnT, the first posts could go there, too. It would make sense. The problem is, there's no way aside from locking threads, and you would be locking a LOT, to prevent multiple threads from springing up every time some new bit of info is released.

    Mai-Kero on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Kevar wrote:
    snip
    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here
    That's not a bad idea, but that doesn't address why a lot of us want the megathreads to stay. They're a place to discuss the system in general. If they stagnate conversation, I think that flaw can be changed without getting rid of them. I discussed this with DOTS last night, and we agreed there should be balance. The megathreads are needed for insignificant and significant news stories alike, but threads aren't created often for the significant news stories. They're just discussed in the megathread. I don't think the solution to this is getting rid of the megathreads, though. There just needs to be an attitude shift.

    Kevar on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I just took over the DS thread three weeks ago, trying to bring back some of its former glory. When the DS was first announced it was a period of chaos on this board. People posting day or minute old news and getting flamed to extinction; a front page full of locked threads, and threads filled with random OLOL old news images, and who can forget "in before the lock!" This is right around the time that this became such a problem that thread assasination became a new rule. The DS thread changed all that. As long as the OP is updated with the latest news and some useful information it becomes a great help.

    Hell, I can understand why you might even think about stopping the Wii and PS3 megathreads, the information on those systems is sparse and it becomes a slightly on topic chat thread. But the established ones (360, DS, and yes, even the PSP) have always held useful information and are the place to ask a question about a system and get a prompt answer.

    Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Kevar wrote:
    snip

    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    Works for me

    We have the game on reference desk in GnT, the first posts could go there, too. It would make sense. The problem is, there's no way aside from locking threads, and you would be locking a LOT, to prevent multiple threads from springing up every time some new bit of info is released.
    personally speaking i'd be fine with that

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread.
    This is completely untrue. I have done it at least a dozen times.

    Off the top of my head, I can remember three Phoenix Wright threads, two Trauma Center threads, one thread about a Trauma Center reprint, two New Super Mario Bros. threads, three Ouendan threads, two screen protector threads, one thread about the DS Lite launching early, one thread about dead pixels, six or seven DS vs. PSP threads a week, two Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow threads, one Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin threads, three GAME ONs each for Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Metroid Prime: Hunters, two threads for Lost Magic, and several dozen "related tidbits" in the last year and a half since release.

    If you want me to make a new thread everytime I find a scan for Rune Factory or want to ask my how to keep residue off my Hori screen protectors, let me know, I'll be glad to.

    Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Kevar wrote:
    snip

    The thing is, they do stagnate conversation though. People can't make new DS threads to talk about a DS related newsbit, they have to go to the mega-thread. They slow down what is already a fairly slow forum, turn into ancilliary chat threads, and really aren't needed for the most part.
    The game-on megathreads on the other are something I could see of being something of continual value.

    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    The only problem I see with this is how to keep it from becoming like Help/Advice, Accumulated Forum Knowledge, and linksville are now, which are rarely viewed deserts of information. Plus I can speak for the DS and 360 thread, every three pages or so there is some damn useful information, usually in the forms of previews. When these are hyped up enough, a serperate thread appears talking about the game.

    Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hey guys, what kind of screen protectors should I use for my DS?

    Should I buy a DS or a PSP?

    So there is this cool looking game called Spore, have you guys heard about it?


    All of the above are why we need Mega Threads. Eliot has a good point in that the PS3 and Wii ones are often not on topic because there is just very little news. Once those systems are released they will probably be fine. I updated the OP to the Wii thread every now and then when I had the opening post. That is really all that needs to be done for these threads and then they should be fine.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    I'll bet you he never saw this one coming, but I completely agree with everything Pheezer just said.

    The elitism that thread created has ruined what was previously an excellent community. That combined with the "Megathreads" has slowed the discussion on the forums to a crawl, and ruins every thread associated with those topics.

    I used to live in the Chat thread, and I thought it would/should never go away. But it's time has passed, and I think it's time for some people to find another home before G&T gets completely unreadable.
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Maybe some kind of compromise could be made. There really are some lovely first posts out there. Maybe the first posts could be given maintainers, and they could be moved to AFK, and the maintainers could keep the first post up to date, with the understanding that the threads themselves aren't there for discussion to take place in? So that the information can be linked easily from threads in G&T proper? Does that sound like a decent idea at all or am I crazy here

    I think that system could work, as long as the OP stays on the ball.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Also, are we really going to say that unless a thread specifically says "THIS THREAD IS ABOUT GAME X," that it has nothing to do with that game?

    People are, shockingly, talking about Resident Evil Wii on and off in the Resident Evil series thread. Mega Man threads refer to Rockman ZX all the time. The Kaz Hirai topic is talking about the 360 games compared to PS3 games.

    Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I planned on keeping the DS and 360 threads alive in the form of "Game On" threads, but not discussion threads. They could have similar first posts, or whatever. I don't care.

    This shifts the focus of them to gaming rather than discussing, but still allowing the two gaming communities to have a place to congregate and flourish. Plus, we could have threads on new news stuff, which will result in more threads, but they would be more easily found on the forum index rather than inside a huge 80 page thread.

    edit: also, threads that don't have much discussion to go with them sink to page 3 or 4 pretty fast. It's not like having new threads is a problem. They take care of themselves.

    Monoxide on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    I planned on keeping the DS and 360 threads alive in the form of "Game On" threads, but not discussion threads. They could have similar first posts, or whatever. I don't care.

    This shifts the focus of them to gaming rather than discussing, but still allowing the two gaming communities to have a place to congregate and flourish. Plus, we could have threads on new news stuff, which will result in more threads, but they would be more easily found on the forum index rather than inside a huge 80 page thread.

    edit: also, threads that don't have much discussion to go with them sink to page 3 or 4 pretty fast. It's not like having new threads is a problem. They take care of themselves.

    That would be really good just so long as those threads had general information and a kind of FAQ guideline within their first post. Not a bad idea though.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    I planned on keeping the DS and 360 threads alive in the form of "Game On" threads, but not discussion threads. They could have similar first posts, or whatever. I don't care.

    This shifts the focus of them to gaming rather than discussing, but still allowing the two gaming communities to have a place to congregate and flourish. Plus, we could have threads on new news stuff, which will result in more threads, but they would be more easily found on the forum index rather than inside a huge 80 page thread.

    edit: also, threads that don't have much discussion to go with them sink to page 3 or 4 pretty fast. It's not like having new threads is a problem. They take care of themselves.

    But how would one keep such a Game on thread on topic? I mean, only so many people are gaming at once, we (wii?) have a lot of people who post on here from school/work and just want to talk about the system or what game to pick up, that and because of how Wifi works on the DS, you really need seperate threads for each game when the game gets popular, as friend codes are quite a pain in the ass. (See the MPH and Animal Crossing threads) So the DS game on thread would be a total pain in the ass to manage.

    Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    EDIT: Sheri's here, we are all going to die.

    I've been here since this thread started, and was in G&T for the drama the other day. I've just been lurking and reading. ;)

    I have very little to actually add to the conversation, but I'm fully convinced that if G&T had the chat thread taken away, migrating to SE for chatting would not be as horrible as everyone has made it out to be.

    And with that, I go back to lurking. ;)

    Sheri on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    edit: also, threads that don't have much discussion to go with them sink to page 3 or 4 pretty fast. It's not like having new threads is a problem. They take care of themselves.
    And these are mutually exclusive...why?

    Here's a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl thread, if you're curious. And a Phoenix Wright thread, and a Prime Hunters thread, and a Tetris thread, all found in the first two pages of G&T.

    Somehow, despite the existance of a DS thread, these threads manage to exist.

    Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    I planned on keeping the DS and 360 threads alive in the form of "Game On" threads, but not discussion threads. They could have similar first posts, or whatever. I don't care.

    This shifts the focus of them to gaming rather than discussing, but still allowing the two gaming communities to have a place to congregate and flourish. Plus, we could have threads on new news stuff, which will result in more threads, but they would be more easily found on the forum index rather than inside a huge 80 page thread.
    This doesn't address the main point. Let me list a few news stories for the DS in the past day or two

    Incoming Metroid Prime: Hunters cheating
    New Cooking Mama style game
    Elite Beat Agents interview
    New Pinball game announced
    Hardware sales
    Article on the DS browser
    Shrek Kart announced
    Marvel Trading Card game new screenshots
    New Final Fantasy III screenshots

    These are just a few, and they were all more or less discussed in the DS thread. There are some that could go into existing threads (Elite Beat Agents interview) but several could not and would not get any attention in a thread on their own. Without the megathread, there would be no real place to discuss them.

    Edit: Also, what Imran said.

    Kevar on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    EDIT: Sheri's here, we are all going to die.

    I've been here since this thread started, and was in G&T for the drama the other day. I've just been lurking and reading. ;)

    I have very little to actually add to the conversation, but I'm fully convinced that if G&T had the chat thread taken away, migrating to SE for chatting would not be as horrible as everyone has made it out to be.

    And with that, I go back to lurking. ;)
    ;)

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hey Sheri get out of here. This is a G&T open discussion thread. :P

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    Hey Sheri get out of here. This is a G&T open discussion thread. :P

    I've been posting in G&T lately. And I have every right to post in this thread. :P

    Sheri on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah I know, how was your birthday by the way?

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    Yeah I know, how was your birthday by the way?

    This isn't the place to talk about this and you know it.

    Back to lurking.

    Sheri on
  • *tyler**tyler* Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    Yeah I know, how was your birthday by the way?

    Hint: Look at her sig. That's 'the little moderator.'

    *tyler* on
    withargho6tv.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2006
    So I guess the big question is this:

    Would the mods prefer that every tidbit of news on the 360 / Wii / ps3 / DS etc. get its own thread? This is probably one of the strongest arguments for keeping the megathreads alive; it reduces useless clutter.

    Now, big news probably should get its own thread... but I guess that means folks need to:

    a) differentiate from an interview with Peter Moore on some obsucre website and a major thing like SF2 coming out on Live Arcade

    b) accept that bleedover on the topic will happen in both threads.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Could we have a no megathread test run and see how it works out?

    deadonthestreet on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    As an arguement for the megathreads to stay, read this page from the DS thread. Now imagine how many threads we'd need to discuss all of that, and how much of that discussion would be impossible without the megathread.

    Kevar on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Ah yes well anyway, I am going to go back to that chat forum because I don't have anything else to say about this as of now.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    Solution: The current megathread opening posts are a mess. With no disrepect intended to the people who created them, they contain huge fonts, excessive bolding, and tons of images for month old news. They need a thread creator who wants to upkeep them, and a minimalistic design that allows easy access to relevant information without making everything size 24. Even creating a list of links for all the significant news stories in a week would solve the problem perfectly.

    Man, you just totally ripped on me. :wink:

    Seriously though, It is hard as fuck to keep the news as current as possible, so I usually stick to game preview screenshots which have a shelf life of, well, until the game comes out. What I have been doing, and it seems to work pretty well, is to go over the previous thread before I make the new one and add in the most important news, usually paying attention to anything inthegray writes. If his DS page was still up, you could just link that and talk about it, making my role completely useless.

    Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    I like the DS OP, Eliot, and I appreciate the effort you put into it, but it really is a mess. All you really need is a release list and a list of links organized by week, and maybe some quotes on the major stories. The large fonts, colors, and so on should go, because they make it feel cluttered.

    Kevar on
This discussion has been closed.