As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T open discussion thread

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2006
    Just for clarification... the megathreads are which? The Wii, DS, PS3, and 360 threads? So... half for consoles that don't exist... and only covering 2 of 5 of the current gaming platforms?

I'm not certain what the arguments are here honestly. I mean, the Cube and the PS2 lack megathreads, and they certainly seem fine.

Aroduc on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Just for clarification... the megathreads are which? The Wii, DS, PS3, and 360 threads? So... half for consoles that don't exist... and only covering 2 of 5 of the current gaming platforms?

I'm not certain what the arguments are here honestly. I mean, the Cube and the PS2 lack megathreads, and they certainly seem fine.
    That's because no news is released for them. The system that really, sorely needs a megathread is the DS. I think we could do without the Wii thread. I can't speak for the 360, PS3, or PSP.

Kevar on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    Hey guys, what kind of screen protectors should I use for my DS?

Should I buy a DS or a PSP?

So there is this cool looking game called Spore, have you guys heard about it?

All of the above are why we need Mega Threads. Eliot has a good point in that the PS3 and Wii ones are often not on topic because there is just very little news. Once those systems are released they will probably be fine. I updated the OP to the Wii thread every now and then when I had the opening post. That is really all that needs to be done for these threads and then they should be fine.

Actually, those are the best reasons AGAINST mega threads. I'm not sorting through 30 pages to find that stuff and you know as well as I do that a lot of the time the search function ISN'T there, and even when it is, you're still doing a lot of flipping through search results. Whereas if one could just start a thread to talk about that shit or ask those questions, they could simply have a discussion. Or using the search they'd see a thread in the results called "DS Screen Protectors?" and go there.

Mega threads are intimidating and boring and slow things down in their current state. I like the idea I had before. A few other people seem to as well. Maybe we could try that? I look forward to the new protest sigs decrying the social experiments we keep running on you guys that crop up in response to this.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    Pheezer, I'd appreciate it if you responded to Imran and I's arguements on the subject instead of Rehab's, if you're serious about doing away with the megathreads.

Kevar on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    Monoxide wrote:
    I planned on keeping the DS and 360 threads alive in the form of "Game On" threads, but not discussion threads. They could have similar first posts, or whatever. I don't care.

This shifts the focus of them to gaming rather than discussing, but still allowing the two gaming communities to have a place to congregate and flourish. Plus, we could have threads on new news stuff, which will result in more threads, but they would be more easily found on the forum index rather than inside a huge 80 page thread.
    This doesn't address the main point. Let me list a few news stories for the DS in the past day or two

Incoming Metroid Prime: Hunters cheating
    New Cooking Mama style game
    Elite Beat Agents interview
    New Pinball game announced
    Hardware sales
    Article on the DS browser
    Shrek Kart announced
    Marvel Trading Card game new screenshots
    New Final Fantasy III screenshots

These are just a few, and they were all more or less discussed in the DS thread. There are some that could go into existing threads (Elite Beat Agents interview) but several could not and would not get any attention in a thread on their own. Without the megathread, there would be no real place to discuss them.

Edit: Also, what Imran said.

eff that. It'd be a lot more fun if we HAD all those threads going on. People jumping from thread to thread, real movement on the front page of G&T, all that. It'd get things hopping. More threads are good. Redundant threads suck, but we've got a good crew. We can lock threads copying threads from within the last few days. It'll be fun. I promise. It'll be like the good old days when you had to sometimes go back a couple pages to pop a thread to the front page. THERE WAS A POINT TO ALL THOSE PAGES BEHIND THE FRONT ONE, PEOPLE. Maybe I'm just sentimental and insane, but I see nothing wrong with a little clutter and a little hustle and bustle.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    good, now lurk a little and find out how to fit in.

*hint* it usually involves just acting normally

I bet those guys with animated "I'm from G&T" sigs felt really clever.

Echo on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    I've brought up this point before. You don't want to read an 80 page thread, but I don't want to read 80 threads. I don't get why the existence of the DS thread is such a problem. If someone wants to create a thread on the news story, they can. It isn't like six months ago where you were flamed and redirected to the megathread. I think the success of the DS megathread is evident that people enjoy it and want it around, even if not all of those people are in here boot deep in the discussion and drama. If a thread isn't created for a news story, it's more or less because someone doesn't want to.

Kevar on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Rehab wrote:

All of the above are why we need Mega Threads. Eliot has a good point in that the PS3 and Wii ones are often not on topic because there is just very little news. Once those systems are released they will probably be fine. I updated the OP to the Wii thread every now and then when I had the opening post. That is really all that needs to be done for these threads and then they should be fine.

Actually, those are the best reasons AGAINST mega threads. I'm not sorting through 30 pages to find that stuff and you know as well as I do that a lot of the time the search function ISN'T there, and even when it is, you're still doing a lot of flipping through search results. Whereas if one could just start a thread to talk about that shit or ask those questions, they could simply have a discussion. Or using the search they'd see a thread in the results called "DS Screen Protectors?" and go there.

Mega threads are intimidating and boring and slow things down in their current state. I like the idea I had before. A few other people seem to as well. Maybe we could try that? I look forward to the new protest sigs decrying the social experiments we keep running on you guys that crop up in response to this.

Touche. I actually said that the "game on" thing would work pretty well just so long as you did certain things. There really should be some place where people can look up news and general information whether it be in the first post of a random thread, accumulated forum knowledge, or something linked from the general reference desk.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    I've brought up this point before. You don't want to read an 80 page thread, but I don't want to read 80 threads.
    You don't *have* to. You skip the ones you don't care for instead of skimming over 80% of the posts in a megathread.

As said before, the GCN and PS2 do not have continual threads of their own to cover every single topic about them. Things were fine before they were implemented.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Rehab wrote:

A funny little story about this: I popped a thread up from the very end (on Elite Beat Agents) and got flamed right away. What did I post in it? That there was a new interview over at N-Sider, which has only started becoming a hot topic on the board because it finally got posted in the DS thread. I don't get the logic of talking about the good ole' days of sifting through the pages of the forum versus sifting through the pages of the DS thread, as it is easy to tell what is news and what isn't.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    I've brought up this point before. You don't want to read an 80 page thread, but I don't want to read 80 threads.
    You don't *have* to. You skip the ones you don't care for instead of skimming over 80% of the posts in a megathread.

As said before, the GCN and PS2 do not have continual threads of their own to cover every single topic about them. Things were fine before they were implemented.
    How many news stories are released each week for the GCN and PS2? 2? 3? This board is a thousand times more busy than it was in 2000 and 2001, so the arguement that they weren't needed back then doesn't work, either.

Kevar on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wow, there is a lot of drama.

Personally, I like the board as it is, more or less. Mods aren't too bad, though some kind of cop a 'tude now and then, but who cares.

In the end - It's just a web board, it's not life.

Magus` on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:

80 threads are a lot easier to sift through than 80 posts, on account of the thread titles being guaranteed to be on topic, as well as a lot shorter. (Unless some moron made a crappy joke out of the title.)

Echo on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Kevar wrote:

80 threads are a lot easier to sift through than 80 posts, on account of the thread titles being guaranteed to be on topic, as well as a lot shorter. (Unless some moron made a crappy joke out of the title.)
    Again, there's nothing keeping anyone from making a thread on the news story, or looking at a (hypothetical, should be implemented) list of links in the DS thread main post.

Kevar on
  • Non-Existent FreezerNon-Existent Freezer Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I really don't see what's wrong with megathreads. I also don't really see what's wrong with making separate threads for everything either. But in terms of moderation of said topics, if that's an issue, if I were moderating a forum I think I'd rather go through a hundred little threads than one ginormous thread.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I really don't see what's wrong with megathreads. I also don't really see what's wrong with making separate threads for everything either. But in terms of moderation of said topics, if that's an issue, if I were moderating a forum I think I'd rather go through a hundred little threads than one ginormous thread.
    that + stimulating discussion + breaking up cliques + making the forum bustle = a compelling case imho

Orikaeshigitae on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited July 2006
    that + stimulating discussion + breaking up cliques + making the forum bustle = a compelling case imho
    This is a compelling arguement against the megathreads.

This is a compelling arguement for the megathreads.

Maybe there should only be megathreads for the systems that need them? If it's not obvious by now, the DS thread is one of the major reasosn I frequent G&T and I would be bummed if it left.

Kevar on
  • FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:

Maybe there should only be megathreads for the systems that need them? If it's not obvious by now, the DS thread is one of the major reasosn I frequent G&T and I would be bummed if it left.
    kill the pointless ones(wii, PS3). let the DS, PSP and XB360 threads stay.

or just the DS, as it seems to get the most use.

FierceDeity666 on
    edited July 2006

Stimulating discussion happens in the megathreads whenever something stimulating is brought in, i.e. new news or a new train of thought. New threads can do this to, or they could be ignored and funneled down to page two, three, four, to be ignored forever. Cliques? What cliques? We (wii?) got at least two dozen new posters in the DS thread when the Lite came out, they had their questions answered quickly and some are now regular posters. I've had no problem going into the PSP thread (a system I don't care much for, even though I owned it) and had all my questions answered plus a news fix if I needed it. Hell, I don't even own a 360 yet I stop by there and get the same full-service treatment, friendly guys on all those threads, and not intimidating at all. Post something, it gets answered. People sometimes do, in fact, bring something up about the DS outside the thread, and they do also get an answer. I see where you are coming from to a certain extent, but I think it is much harder for someone who is intimidated by cliques to post a new thread or zombify a thread from page five than to just ask the question in the Mega thread.

As for forum bustle, isn't that the reason the mods are trying to clamp down on the megathreads, to curb the amount of work you have to do? I understand that what you do is a totally thankless job, but I honestly don't see the harm in the megathreads. I can see some changes made in how they work though, but turning them into dusty accumulated type threads would do a great disservice.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:

Just to let you know.

The 360 thread is the 2nd most active thread on G&T, falling shy of Chat.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    syndalis wrote:
    Kevar wrote:

Just to let you know.

The 360 thread is the 2nd most active thread on G&T, falling shy of Chat.
    Well I didn't know that!
    BRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNN

FierceDeity666 on
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    If it's not obvious by now, the DS thread is one of the major reasosn I frequent G&T and I would be bummed if it left.

I like it too, but if getting rid of it and other huge threads is going to get rid of all of these supposed problems with the forum, I'd be willing to make that sacrifice because I want everything to be yay-happy and not have to deal with the accusations of forming cliques and excluding people (Which I still haven't noticed. Maybe I'm in said clique/s and that's why I haven't noticed? Or maybe I'm just that dense.).

Essentially, whatever it is agreed on will end all of this nonsense, I'm pretty much up for it. :^:

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kevar wrote:
    If it's not obvious by now, the DS thread is one of the major reasosn I frequent G&T and I would be bummed if it left.

I like it too, but if getting rid of it and other huge threads is going to get rid of all of these supposed problems with the forum, I'd be willing to make that sacrifice because I want everything to be yay-happy and not have to deal with the accusations of forming cliques and excluding people (Which I still haven't noticed. Maybe I'm in said clique/s and that's why I haven't noticed? Or maybe I'm just that dense.).

Essentially, whatever it is agreed on will end all of this nonsense, I'm pretty much up for it. :^:
    see, i'd say there's probably groups, but i've not seen an 'impenetrable' one. It's one thing to have cliques (egh, i'm probably not semantically perfect here, but screw it) who hang out in threads discussing their consoles/games of choice. That's fine, that's what i see here. What people seem to be upset about, what i don't see, is groups that are horribly protective, and don't let others in. That's bad, but honestly, i've not found that. If i wanted to go find out about a DS Lite, i could go ask. Or if i wanted to know about a 360, hey, there's a thread with people who know more than me. I'm not specifically for or against it, but i think there's stuff being discussed that just isn't happening.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So, how is a mega thread more cliquey than a Game On thread?

Do people come in to the DS thread and say "I want to buy a DS" and the clique says "Fuck no, you can't, and stay the hell out of here"? Would it be better if pretty much no one in the thread got along?

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:

Do people come in to the DS thread and say "I want to buy a DS" and the clique says "Fuck no, you can't, and stay the hell out of here"? Would it be better if pretty much no one in the thread got along?
    After sitting around staring blankly and thinking about it, then getting a drink, then thinking about it again for a few minutes, I think I might finally have an idea of where this clique -> megathread thing is coming from.

Maybe... People are thinking that the big threads might be intimidating because of their bigness. In theory, if a new person comes along they'll feel like they're obligated to read a billion pages of stuff before posting while someone who's been around and keeping up/posting with the thread (ie a member of the "clique") would have an easier time knowing what's happening. It's the only explanation I came up with, and I doubt that it's correct.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
    edited July 2006
    I will say the Wii and PS3 threads are *kind of* unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but they might as well be called Chat Thread #2 and #3 for all the real 'discussion' that goes in them.

I'm so sorry.

Magus` on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:

After sitting around staring blankly and thinking about it, then getting a drink, then thinking about it again for a few minutes, I think I might finally have an idea of where this clique -> megathread thing is coming from.

Maybe... People are thinking that the big threads might be intimidating because of their bigness. In theory, if a new person comes along they'll feel like they're obligated to read a billion pages of stuff before posting while someone who's been around and keeping up/posting with the thread (ie a member of the "clique") would have an easier time knowing what's happening. It's the only explanation I came up with, and I doubt that it's correct.
    No, that's pretty much it.

I know a couple of people who casually browse G&T, and they just don't have the time to devote to any of the enormous threads we have. One person in particular saw how big the DS, PS3, Revolution and 360 threads were and his first question was "how does anyone have time to follow those?"

Keeping all discussion about each console in one enormous thread pretty much limits the readership to the people who have the time to sift through dozens of pages of posts. To me, the most compelling argument for breaking the megathreads up is one of simple pragmatism--most people just are unwilling or unable to devote the time to a 60-page monstrosity. You don't hear them complaining about it because they just don't go into those threads.

EDIT: Also, having a tight-knit community built up in each of the megathreads makes it even more difficult for the average casual forumer to get any use out of them, because, as Magus` just said above me, the megathreads are chock full of chat-style filler posts.

Captain K on
    edited July 2006
    Also, who in the right mind would want to be responsible for updating the first page with updates for all systems?

Magus` on
    edited July 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Imran wrote:

I know a couple of people who casually browse G&T, and they just don't have the time to devote to any of the enormous threads we have. One person in particular saw how big the DS, PS3, Revolution and 360 threads were and his first question was "how does anyone have time to follow those?"

Keeping all discussion about each console in one enormous thread pretty much limits the readership to the people who have the time to sift through dozens of pages of posts. To me, the most compelling argument for breaking the megathreads up is one of simple pragmatism--most people just are unwilling or unable to devote the time to a 60-page monstrosity. You don't hear them complaining about it because they just don't go into those threads.

Then why get rid of them if they aren't hurting anyone? Seems kind of backwards to me. It's not that hard to skim a thread, and if you post a question that's already been answered we (wii?) try our best to answer it, usually without complaining. Of course if someone JUST posted the answer, as in on the same page, some minor crap can be given to them.

Fuck, I've been doing the DS Megathread for a couple of weeks now and I don't read every single post or sometimes every single page, I start about three back from the current and see what everyone is up to. It's not that hard or threatening, I even did this when I was lurking years ago.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited July 2006
    So, we have anecdotal evidence for the existence of them and anecdotal evidence against their existence.

Thus...the obvious answer is take them away because some people would rather have 80 threads than 80 posts? Okay then.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Then why get rid of them if they aren't hurting anyone? Seems kind of backwards to me. It's not that hard to skim a thread, and if you post a question that's already been answered we (wii?) try our best to answer it, usually without complaining. Of course if someone JUST posted the answer, as in on the same page, some minor crap can be given to them.
    Maybe you should re-read what I said?

There are people who would love to talk about specific console news bits, but they don't even click on the megathreads because they're just fucking enormous. There's a lot of people like that, and the forum needs to cater to them as well as to you. The way things work is great for the hardcore, veteran forumers who spend several hours a day reading and posting in G&T. It's basically useless for the average casual reader. They are hurting the forum.

I'm not saying that they don't have good qualities. I'm sure being part of a megathread community is an absolute blast for the people who are in it. But there's some pretty significant negatives that the average megathreader doesn't really experience, and those are the ones we're focused on.

Captain K on
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:
    So, we have anecdotal evidence for the existence of them and anecdotal evidence against their existence.

Thus...the obvious answer is take them away because some people would rather have 80 threads than 80 posts? Okay then.
    imran, it kind of has to be anecdotal evidence because in a message board there is no other kind

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Imran wrote:

EDIT: Also, having a tight-knit community built up in each of the megathreads makes it even more difficult for the average casual forumer to get any use out of them, because, as Magus` just said above me, the megathreads are chock full of chat-style filler posts.
    Ohhhh! I get it now! Well heck, if someone had said something along those lines earlier I bet it would've prevented some misunderstandings about it. All I was reading was that "You guys have cliques." When I think of forum cliques, I think of a little group of individuals who tell anyone who haplessly wanders in to get the fuck out of their thread/forum, not people who participate in giant threads.

Thanks for clearing that up. <3

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
    edited July 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Imran wrote:

Ohhhh! I get it now! Well heck, if someone had said something along those lines earlier I bet it would've prevented some misunderstandings about it. All I was reading was that "You guys have cliques." When I think of forum cliques, I think of a little group of individuals who tell anyone who haplessly wanders in to get the fuck out of their thread/forum, not people who participate in giant threads.

Thanks for clearing that up. <3
    no, if it was like FYAD dudes would find themselves banned in short order

this clique is more insiduous

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:

imran, it kind of has to be anecdotal evidence because in a message board there is no other kind
    The point being that it does not make their opinions any more valid than the people in this thread.

But I get the point. Mega threads bad, more threads good.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:

The point being that it does not make their opinions any more valid than the people in this thread.

i don't even know what you're complaining about

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:

i don't even know what you're complaining about

Megathreads are so much more convienent if they have a well-managed first-post. It would be a lot more hassle to search through fifty new threads every day.

Mai-Kero on
    edited July 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Maybe you should re-read what I said?

There are people who would love to talk about specific console news bits, but they don't even click on the megathreads because they're just fucking enormous. There's a lot of people like that, and the forum needs to cater to them as well as to you. The way things work is great for the hardcore, veteran forumers who spend several hours a day reading and posting in G&T. It's basically useless for the average casual reader. They are hurting the forum.

I'm not saying that they don't have good qualities. I'm sure being part of a megathread community is an absolute blast for the people who are in it. But there's some pretty significant negatives that the average megathreader doesn't really experience, and those are the ones we're focused on.

Oh, I read what you said, and I think you might need to read what I said. How hard is it to go back a few pages from where the thread is now? By doing that you get all the current news.

You guys have a point, and it is your call. The so-called Megathreads don't prevent other people from posting new news, its just a convient place for them. If you want to get rid of them here is an idea that could see you through it. Sticky threads for each of the consoles; only news goes in them. Game on threads for the consoles, not stickied. The best of both worlds honestly. If people want to talk about said news, start a new thread. Everybody wins. If you want, I'll even keep up on the DS news for you.

I am just sick of all this drama, so are a lot of people. If you do decide to change everything, do it soon. A quick and violent overthrow of the status quo.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited July 2006
    Orikae, don't say "insidious". That makes it sound like it's intentional on the part of the people in the sub-communities.

No, the chat thread community is not exclusive. No, the megathread communities are not exclusive. These negative qualities that I'm talking about aren't a function of the people who are part of these communities, they're just the result of the organizational structure that has evolved over time in G&T.

Captain K on
    edited July 2006
    kay

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.