As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

1454647484951»

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Yeah, the endgame quests give nice stuff - most of said quests are small group+, so you definitely earn it. I noticed they did overhaul a lot of the mid-high level chains that ended with red-unique level rewards - the red two-handed bladed staff my disciple got at 42 was still my best item at 47 when I quit originally.

The problem I have with the unlockers is the temporary nature of their use - I wouldn't mind unlocking item slots on a character, but it's easy to make yellow crafted gear at high levels (and it's more common to see orange and red gear at the top end). I'd be burning way too many unlocks to make it worthwhile.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Fair, but if they did that they sure as hell wouldn't make them cheap. I don't mind because I can unlock 30 items with a month's worth of subscription money I've saved; if I'm replacing all my gear that often I'll just skip a slot upgrade and wait for the next one 4 days down the road...

[edit] They grandfathered all vet characters their gear (ie, if it was gold-only and you had it, it's not unlocked) and gave me back the stack of item unlockers I'd used. <3

Glal on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Yeah, that change to unlock all current items was a nice gesture, especially since it was really easy to unequip them and screw yourself if you were in the ass-end of nowhere. My disciple may or may not have done this while getting lost in Afrit poking around last weekend.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    There's a bug where some legacy characters will have their grandfathered items relocked if they trade with someone. If it happens just /petition it and you'll get a set of potions to unlock them again.

• Options
    VaeVae Registered User regular
    Came back to this now that it is free to play. Forgot how much fun this game is. Enjoying the complexity even if I can't remember where any of my quests take place.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Keep in mind a lot of the quests were redone, and the starting zones were redone entirely (with all of that continent's races piled into the same starting area to keep them active), so you might want to make sure the quest given even still exists. :D
    All of the URT quests were bumped up in level, so my level 20 was suddenly holding level 30+ quests. Unsurprisingly, couldn't do them!

Glal on
  • Options
    VaeVae Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips! I was wondering why both my surviving characters had a bunch of red quests. I had a few adventures (read deaths) trying to get to the quest givers before I remembered about flying mounts. Still having a blast.

• Options
    Aaaand Vanguard is shutting down end of July. :(
    You'd think with SOE's move to an All Access sub they'd want to keep a wide library of games so people who tire of one can pop into another and experience something different, but I guess not.

With both this and CoX dead the only MMO I keep coming back to (but never stick for more than a couple of weeks at a time) that'll still be around is TERA. By god, if that one gets killed also I'm quitting this genre. :(

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh man.

Sigh.

Another one of those, "This game was so promising and never fulfilled all my wet dreams" shut downs. Siiiiiigh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    Ah, it makes me sad when a world shuts down forever. Especially Vanguard which I love.

Doubly sad since it looks like the spiritual successor is not going to make it on Kickstarter.

• Options
    I just picked it up again two days ago, too. Was fooling around on my fresh druid when I noticed all the doom&gloom in the chat. Killed my desire to keep playing right quick, just like CoX's announcement.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh man.

Sigh.

Another one of those, "This game was so promising and never fulfilled all my wet dreams" shut downs. Siiiiiigh.

It fulfilled just about everything I expected from the game and more.

If only it didn't have one of the worst launches in MMO history, and had some required specs lower then "You better have built a $1500 PC in the last 6 months".

It actually ran great for me from day 1, but I was in the 1% of people that lucked out, must of had the exact same PC specs as the devs or something. And I just eventually lost any will to play when everyone else I knew quit.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I remember launch being poopy and the diplomacy stuff not really working. We only stayed for a month or two.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I really dug the diplomacy and crafting systems, but they were both held back by the horrifically slow progress you made with them. And while the idea of having diplo gear with reputation was neat, the fact that it completely gated you was not; had they balanced it so you could, just by virtue of doing all the diplo quests, gotten enough progress and gear to progress from start to finish? The way adventure quests work? Would have been fantastic.
    Shame really, I dug the heck out of that little card game.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    IIRC when this came out it was around the time most all MMOs had you playing "heroes" or "good guys". Which, as a former EQ player, was starting to wear on me. So when I got Vanguard, rolled a Dark Elf, and the starting newbie quest was to literally burn down a village and slaughter women and children (totally defenseless as I recall) I must admit I felt at home.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I enjoyed being a dwarf.

Why are so many new games not including dwarves?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hm, Vanguard isn't the only thing they are shutting down. They're closing Wizardry Online in July as well (a game I enjoyed from time to time). I wonder what other SOE games are getting the axe?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    SOE is closing down four of its MMOs. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms will close on March 31st. Vanguard and Wizardry Online will bow out on July 31st.

Four games getting axed, but Smedley also says they have another unannounced project dedicated to SWG players. Whatever that means. I think they're moving resources from these games and putting it towards upcoming stuff.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    you know what i loved at launch? the whole "you are the first person to discover" this stuff! It made adventuring into unknown places really fun. I also rolled a dark elf disciple and remember running down a long canyon and finding a crack in the wall and there was a "large" underground base of bad (good?) dark elves i just had to kill. I discovered a lot of items in that little area. Also the auto player page updates was a cool feature.

• Options
    Nathrak wrote: »
    SOE is closing down four of its MMOs. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures and Free Realms will close on March 31st. Vanguard and Wizardry Online will bow out on July 31st.

Four games getting axed, but Smedley also says they have another unannounced project dedicated to SWG players. Whatever that means. I think they're moving resources from these games and putting it towards upcoming stuff.
    So, that's the 2 people from VG to add to EQN's 400...

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The thread title is so depressing.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I fixed it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Title wrote:
    SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD
    I guess now we know the real reason VG died.

Glal on