As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mega Man ZX: today, The Advent was announced

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Geod wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Geod wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Geod wrote:
    When do the bosses respawn after you defeat them once? I want to kill Hivolt again with a lvl 4 victory since I only got a lvl 3 but he doesn't want to show his face again. I beat him in my first mission, I'm on my 5th now.

They start showing up after the fifth, I believe, and will spawn where they originally were.

Thanks :) I just beat the fifth guy and it notified me that Hivolt was found again. Does this mean though then you can't face all of them again? If just one reappears after each mission hereafter at least, since I'm assuming there's only 8 missions.

Each time you beat a mission or one of the reappeared bosses, a different one shows up.

Thanks for the info - One more question. If you kill a boss originally at lvl 4, then kill him again at lvl 1, does everything stick with you beating him at lvl 4?

Yes.

yalborap on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What's the point of re-beating bosses, now?

slash000 on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    slash000 wrote:

It adds extra gameplay, and allows you to keep trying until you manage to beat them at Level 4

Evander on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Evander wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

It adds extra gameplay, and allows you to keep trying until you manage to beat them at Level 4

OK, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Like, if you rebeat all the bosses, it unlocks something special.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    slash000 wrote:
    Evander wrote:
    slash000 wrote:

OK, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Like, if you rebeat all the bosses, it unlocks something special.

other than getting the stuffed animals to show up in the one room for level 4 victories, nothing.

Evander on
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lu-thing the Abyssroid is kicking my ass :(
    I can't seem to dodge her (his?) big beam. Even if I wait right before it touches me I catch the tail end of it.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Vhalyar wrote:
    I can't seem to dodge her (his?) big beam. Even if I wait right before it touches me I catch the tail end of it.
    Do you have HX? You can dash vertically by holding up. So, switch when you see the beam coming, switch to HX, jump, dash up, then switch back to FX (if you have it) on the way down. Just don't get hit, as that Ice Beam will ruin HX's shit.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Do you have HX? You can dash vertically by holding up. So, switch when you see the beam coming, switch to HX, jump, dash up, then switch back to FX (if you have it) on the way down. Just don't get hit, as that Ice Beam will ruin HX's shit.

HX can dash underwater? Oh. Oh... :oops:

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:

Oh, right. That fight's underwater. NEVERMIND.

In that case, when you jump right before the beam, start moving right. You should just barely pass over it.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:

In that case, when you jump right before the beam, start moving right. You should just barely pass over it.

I thought I was crazy. I'll try waiting a bit less before moving right.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    Dead Guy PerezDead Guy Perez Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:

The big beam with the sort of ice crystal thing on the front end of it? Don't even bother with jumping. When the ice forms just before the beam starts moving toward you, just fire the Z-Buster or FX's attack at it rapidly. Each hit will drive the crystal back a bit. Fire fast enough and you can drive the ice crystal back into Lurerre, preventing the beam attack from really starting. .

Dead Guy Perez on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:

The big beam with the sort of ice crystal thing on the front end of it? Don't even bother with jumping. When the ice forms just before the beam starts moving toward you, just fire the Z-Buster or FX's attack at it rapidly. Each hit will drive the crystal back a bit. Fire fast enough and you can drive the ice crystal back into Lurerre, preventing the beam attack from really starting. .

Funny, I tried it again and beat her up easily on the second attempt.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    When the ice forms just before the beam starts moving toward you, just fire the Z-Buster or FX's attack at it rapidly. Each hit will drive the crystal back a bit. Fire fast enough and you can drive the ice crystal back into Lurerre, preventing the beam attack from really starting. .

If you have model Px, you can also throw a barrage of daggers to push back the beam as well.

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    Number_NeinNumber_Nein Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Who said this game was hard?

Man, you weren't lying.

Number_Nein on
    psexwindow.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Level 4 on Hivolt and Lurerre, working on Fistleo now. Fuck Fistleo and fuck his head that's facing me 90% of the time.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Vhalyar wrote:
    Level 4 on Hivolt and Lurerre, working on Fistleo now. Fuck Fistleo and fuck his head that's facing me 90% of the time.

Have you considered beating Fistleo, then in one of the respawn times just killing him with FX?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Vhalyar wrote:

Have you considered beating Fistleo, then in one of the respawn times just killing him with FX?

I've already killed the first four bosses. Right now I wait for Fistleo up a corner until he does the red ball facing the wall, then I drop behind him and do an OIS HX slash. This works nicely, but being a step too close fucks it up and he becomes erratic at 1/4 HP.

I tried PX but it's rather slow and quite often I'll have a projectile in mid-air when he lowers his head for the red ball. I also tried FX but it's not better than PX.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Right, I take it there's been enough time to get over the fact that there's a spanking new MM game out; I want some honesty, my duckies.

So, having loved the original MMZ game and being rather favourable to the series as a whole, is this game worth a purchase?

As far as I know, it's not coming out over here in Euroland any time soon, so I'm probably going to have to pay an extortionate price at my local importers, or go online and wait for three weeks for the goods to show up.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yes? No? Maybe so?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yes? No? Maybe so?

If you are a big fan of the MMZ series, then you'll definitely like ZX. The graphics and gameplay are extremely similar, and the plot follows the Z series, as well.

aett on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yes? No? Maybe so?
    Being able to play as forms of the four guardians of X alone was worth buying the game for me. So it being a good game in and of itself makes it all the better.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hell, I'll take the plunge. I'd imagine the challenge alone should keep me busy for the foreseeable future.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Right, I take it there's been enough time to get over the fact that there's a spanking new MM game out; I want some honesty, my duckies.

So, having loved the original MMZ game and being rather favourable to the series as a whole, is this game worth a purchase?

As far as I know, it's not coming out over here in Euroland any time soon, so I'm probably going to have to pay an extortionate price at my local importers, or go online and wait for three weeks for the goods to show up.

Sorry, I've actually been working on a review of this game, but school work has been getting in the way all week.

If you liked the MMZ series overall, then buying this is a no-brainer.

There are a few changes from the Zero games, though. Most of them I personally find to be better, but since this is such a subjective thing, YMMV, and all that.

You may already know some of this, but I'll lay it all out here, to help you decide:

Cyber elves are completely gone, not from the plot, of course, but you will never use them. You get biometals instead, between five and seven of them, depending on what mode of difficulty you're playing, and certain other factors. The biometals each represent a different reploid from the zero series, such as X, Zero, the four guardians, etc. Equipping a biometal to your human (!!!!!) playable character transforms them into a sort of a cyborg, with the powers of the reploid whose essence is contained in said biometal. This is more than just having a different elemental characterist, or having a different weapon (although it does include these things) but you gain extra abilities of these characters as well, such as air dashing, free motion under water, or buster editing, etc. It's the closest we mega man fans have come, AFAIK, outside of Meag man powered up, to getting to play through the game not just using the weapons of our enemies, but using their abilities as well, and rather than having to play through each one individually, you can use them all together in one playthrough, in fact, you have to. You get different chips at different points in the game, which give you extra little abilities when turned on, and subtanks are back, of course, as well as extra one use items that you save for later in your menu.

Playability of the game is also increased, with respawning bosses (fights with them are optional, triggered by entering the screen they are on) later in the game, plenty of side fetch quests, and more. If you still have your copies of MMZ3 and MMZ4, you can test your mettle by fighting the bosses from those games, by sticking the respective cart into the GBA slot, and entering a special room. There are three different difficulty levels, with easy and normal unlocked from the begining, and hard unlocked after a successful normal playthrough, and two different characters to play as. The differences between the characters are slight, the male has slightly better footing (gets pushed back less when he gets hurt) whereas the female is slightly faster, and, after certain conditions are met, can change her clothing and hair color, if you're into that sort of thing. The dialogue, and a couple of optional fetch quests are slightly different for the two characters, so there is reason to play through as both, but they are similar enough that if you really dislike one, you won't be missing out by skipping them.

Overall, though, the game is far more forgiving than the zero series. No longer are you constantly ranked, and does anything but perfection reflect poorly on you. Rather, you are ranked only on each individual boss battle, with higher ranks given for avoiding boss weak points. And, as I said, bosses respawn later in the game, so eaven if you get Level 1 (the lowest) victories on all of them, when going through your mission, just to get out of there are and save, you can refight them later, and get those Level 4 (the highest) victories that you know you deserve. This is maybe the biggest change, overall, from the Zero games, which used their ranking system to encourage you to play through without ever getting hurt, using upgrades, etc., but while a few of the most hardcore gamers may mourn that system, I think that most players will breathe a sigh of relief having been emancipated from it. As always, YMMV.

So, yeah, if you're a fan of the Zero series, this game is an evolution of it, just as it was of the series before it. There are definitely places where this game could have been made better, but that is not a mark against this game, it is simply something for us to look forward to in the inevitable onslaught of sequels. In the end, I would encourage you to buy this game, if only to send capcom the message that this is (one of) the direction(s) that we, the fans, would like to see the mega man series continue in.

That aside, I was just thinking that the Zero series had half as many games for it as its two chronological predeccessors. This might mean nothing at all, but I wonder if we can assume that ZX will only have four parts before we move on the the next branch in this story line.

Evander on
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Evander wrote:
    the female is slightly faster, and, after certain conditions are met, can change her clothing and hair color, if you're into that sort of thing.
    How do you do this? This is the first I've heard of it.

Also, great review.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Also, great review.

In block C-3 I believe (it's in one of the town blocks) there's a girl inside a house that you can talk to.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Also, great review.

In block C-3 I believe (it's in one of the town blocks) there's a girl inside a house that you can talk to.
    Thanks!

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I haven't really kept up on the Mega Man series. I think the last one that I played before this game was X. Did all the rock-paper-scissors aspects get taken out of the games in favor of these weak spots? I was thinking that I could take my ice or wind biometal vs. the fire one and inflict some heavy damage. I found out quickly that wasn't so and it didn't seem that any of the special abilities varied all that much on the damage they were doing.

Maybe I am approaching this game the wrong way.

Number_Nein on
    psexwindow.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I haven't really kept up on the Mega Man series. I think the last one that I played before this game was X. Did all the rock-paper-scissors aspects get taken out of the games in favor of these weak spots? I was thinking that I could take my ice or wind biometal vs. the fire one and inflict some heavy damage. I found out quickly that wasn't so and it didn't seem that any of the special abilities varied all that much on the damage they were doing.

Aside from ZX and PX, all the biometals have elements. There are only three of them, but they are still there.

The special abilities are the elements, but if you hit the button that makes you all glow-y, you basically go in to "Overclock mode" and can double your power and activate your element to all attacks. That is, if you're HX and you activate it, it makes every one of your attacks twice as powerful and electrified.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:

Aside from ZX and PX, all the biometals have elements. There are only three of them, but they are still there.

The special abilities are the elements, but if you hit the button that makes you all glow-y, you basically go in to "Overclock mode" and can double your power and activate your element to all attacks. That is, if you're HX and you activate it, it makes every one of your attacks twice as powerful and electrified.
    What elements are weak against what?

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:

Lightning > Fire > Ice > Lightning

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:

I thought I tried that, but maybe I was down too far on health at that point.

Or I might have been trying them out of order, as I figured that lightning would be effective against water.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: The monkey can go die in a fire, though.

Number_Nein on
    psexwindow.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:

Or I might have been trying them out of order, as I figured that lightning would be effective against water.

Thanks for the info.

The monkey has PX, so he shouldn't really be weak against anything.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Imran wrote:

Thanks for the info.

The monkey has PX, so he shouldn't really be weak against anything.

It's obvious that he was immune to my mind bullets and searing hatred.
    For a couple tries, at least.

Number_Nein on
    psexwindow.gif
  • Options
    SartanSartan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Also, great review.

Apparently there are others as well. Basically, just keep your eyes out for womenfolk.

Sartan on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This is weird...

I took the mission in Area H, the carnival place. I got to H-3, where all those miniature blimps are. I got to the other side, but the door won't let me in. It just keeps giving me the sound the game makes when you try to enter a door you don't have a key for. What the hell?

edit: Never mind. It turns out I had turned it off after losing to the boss, and didn't accept the mission after starting the DS up again...

:oops:

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This is weird...

I took the mission in Area H, the carnival place. I got to H-3, where all those miniature blimps are. I got to the other side, but the door won't let me in. It just keeps giving me the sound the game makes when you try to enter a door you don't have a key for. What the hell?

Hehehe, what mission are you (not) on?

You won't get into the boss rooms for the first time unless you're on their respective mission. It's weird, but that's how it works.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Also, great review.

That wasn't even it. That was just off the top of my head, while I was posting from a wifi enabled Laptop in Stat class

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Imran wrote:

That's only five biometals, there are seven total.

But only the three have elements.

Evander on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Estoc wrote:
    This is weird...

Hehehe, what mission are you (not) on?

You won't get into the boss rooms for the first time unless you're on their respective mission. It's weird, but that's how it works.

Yeah, figured that out now. And Px = god. Holy shit, it makes that lava part so much easier by just throwing wave upon wave of kunai.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Level 4 victory on Fistleo, he can burn in hell (ahah!). Now it's Purprill's turn :x
    I had to use a W Tank, the bastard kept healing himself against a wall.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif